User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #1051
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,732
I love old british iron. I'd love get my hands on a series 2a. But then there are these.... a Landy 6x6

Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #1052
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntec4 View Post
The reg plate on this one means it was registered between sept '73 to sept '74
H reg would imply '69-'70 ?
Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #1053
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
Wow, where to start. the picture is a Series IIB forward control. 109" if I recall correctly. The 101 Forward Control started production in the early 1970's or sometime before 1975. The IIB was mid to late 1960's

Off-roading in a FC is a whole new experience as you go down hill knowing that all of that chasis is behind you.
I ran across this in the parking lot at Graceland a few years ago:

You can view more photos of it at http://www.fototime.com/inv/A880F9C510D5B01
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #1054
transalpian
Over, Across, and Through

Oddometer: 305
This is my daily driver:

She's a 1974, series III, LHD, petrol, with OD and lock out front hubs. Very little hasn't been worked on over the years by myself and a series of previous owners. She wears a galvy chassis, dual tanks, parabolic springs, and most recently IPF H4 E code headlights (uber bright).

Other than needing a good understanding of electricity (particularly finding/making gound connections), these are not too hard to live with, once they are made right. Nothing on them can break and not be fixed. All parts are available, but sometimes expensively.

Some simple mods let you use more AutoZone available parts like a Ford Explorer master brake cylinder and GM alternator.

Mine cruises at 60mph quite happily, but only gets 12-15mpg. Aerodynamics aren't a strong suit.

On second thought, maybe I'm interested....

transalpian screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 10:42 AM
transalpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #1055
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
The old series II I bought needs a frame. I can get a galvi one from Rovers North for 2600. Is there any other options out there, preferably cheaper! As a reminder this is the rig its going under.

A bit of advice from a been there, done that (well no new frame truck was originally sold in Arizona and spent it's life there before me so no rust issues) guy. Know what you want the end product to be and budget / plan for that, you're gonna see a lot of really cool "I gotta get that" "Boy that's Cool" and "What a Great Idea" stuff on the WWW.

Fortunately for me I was single when I did the Frame Off so parabolic springs, OME shocks, rebuilt motor, all new LR Brakes, obligatory 16" Rover AT tires, Roof Rack, Spot Light, etc. etc. etc. wasn't an issue. I had really good success with Rovers Down South, forget that ole boy's name, but he had the Original Old Stock odds and ends when I needed them.

Have fun with it!

The old girl:

Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #1056
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

That snorkel is... ambitious. Where's the driver's head when that's just clearing?
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #1057
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

I think that truck was featured in LROI or another publication some 10+ years ago, shouldn't have included my stash with the SER III or I could thumb through them all.....
Old 02-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #1058
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,364
Broke my heart but I sold ours. Gas is going up this week to $1.47/liter (around $6/gallon) and we're spending more on gas in the rover per month than our mortgage and cottage payments combined.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #1059
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
A bit of advice from a been there, done that (well no new frame truck was originally sold in Arizona and spent it's life there before me so no rust issues) guy. Know what you want the end product to be and budget / plan for that, you're gonna see a lot of really cool "I gotta get that" "Boy that's Cool" and "What a Great Idea" stuff on the WWW.

Fortunately for me I was single when I did the Frame Off so parabolic springs, OME shocks, rebuilt motor, all new LR Brakes, obligatory 16" Rover AT tires, Roof Rack, Spot Light, etc. etc. etc. wasn't an issue. I had really good success with Rovers Down South, forget that ole boy's name, but he had the Original Old Stock odds and ends when I needed them.

Have fun with it!

The old girl:

I've already hustled and traded for almost every part I need and Initial investment was cheap so I'm ahead of the game. As for a frame off build this is not my first time with this sort of endeavor so I'm not worried in the least, but it is easy to get way upside down financially in a project like this. As for end result I know what I want and it won't be nearly as clean as what youv'e got there, just a quick and dirty beater. Thank you for the encouragement.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #1060
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by transalpian View Post
but only gets 12-15mpg. Aerodynamics aren't a strong suit.
I know this is a little out of place in a thread like this but doesn't this sum the big negative with these vehicles which were designed back in the time when oil was at $3/barrrel? Charming as they no doubt are, the term gas guzzlers springs to mind. The episode of Top Gear driving an Aston in Scotland musing on the demise of 'motoring' as we've come to expect it, comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Just rescued this truck from being reclaimed by the earth! Plan is for a galvanised chassis and a veggie burning diesel.
Might I suggest that you consider leaving the aged patina unaltered?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #1061
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
I know this is a little out of place in a thread like this but doesn't this sum the big negative with these vehicles which were designed back in the time when oil was at $3/barrrel? Charming as they no doubt are, the term gas guzzlers springs to mind. The episode of Top Gear driving an Aston in Scotland musing on the demise of 'motoring' as we've come to expect it, comes to mind.

Might I suggest that you consider leaving the aged patina unaltered?
I understand that if driven within their design parameters (under 60mph) they yield about 12-15 mpg. This is by no means fantastic but isn't too far off the mark from a lot of pickups, however it is one of the reasons these trucks aren't usually used for regular commuting.

As for the paint, that is the plan!
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #1062
transalpian
Over, Across, and Through

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Yes and no. I would love for my rover to get 40 mpg.

And with something exotic like an electric/diesel hybrid drivetrain, I could probably get there. BUT the payback would be EXTREMELY long, if ever. And that is the reason I drive her as a daily driver (my only [usable] car, actually). You buy a 74 rover today, keep it in decent shape, and what will it be worth in 20 years? The same as you paid? More? Maybe... Much less? Probably not (unless something bizarre happens [peak oil TEOTWAWKI] and then it really doesn't matter). Buy a new Honda today, and what will be it be worth in the same 20 years? Half? Less? Probably much less than half.

SO, including depreciation into the cost calculation, the rover isn't so bad a daily car. Maintenance cost is a more tough thing to assess. Its more than a new Honda, for sure. IF you know your truck pretty well, you can get a feel for the costs to keep her running. In my case, is mostly 90wt gear lube... However, buying a new-to-you truck brings a bit of the unknown.

I'm sorry, what was the question?

On second thought, maybe I'm interested....
transalpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #1063
Hurley959
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
The Rover V8's and early petrol motors aren't the most efficient out there, but you can easily squeeze high 20's out of a 300tdi.
Hurley959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #1064
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 799

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #1065
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Icon makes some good looking trucks but geeze, who could afford one? Not sure if 205

fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: