User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #1156
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
Hey any of you FF's near Frisco, TX that could take a look at a truck for me?
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #1157
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
Never mind on the Texas deal.

Anyways, it looks like I'll have another Rover by weeks end...

...and I'll be complaining about it here in a few months.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #1158
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,769
Right, so I come here seeking motivation.

I'm the friend Infracaninophile mentioned above. Some of my first memories of awesome were of a friends' SIII that I learned to drive (when I was about 10) and took many, many trips around the place I grew up in.

Every time I came close to buying one, though, I looked at all the limitations of the vehicle and couldn't pull the trigger. Too slow, too archaic, too expensive.

Enter ADV. Pyndon and I have been thru a lot together (understatement) and when I started looking at rovers in the UK, I thought "I could sorta afford that!" and got him on the hunt.

Earlier this year he bought one on my behalf and sent it over. I used Doug Crowther from Dividing Creek Imports, he was knowledgable and I'd recommend him.

Here's the truck when I picked it up in Philadelphia:

My mom flew up and we drove it down the Blue Ridge Parkway together to her house in Asheville.

I dropped her off, and drove it back to CO. Did something like 3000 miles in 6 days, which I don't recommend to the faint of heart, in a vehicle that won't reliably exceed 50. I loved it.

Pyn found me a sweet truck. I asked for a 110 with a 300TDI, and I got a 90 with a V8, but I'm not complaining. Perfect interior, barely any rust, and it came with an as-new roof tent, winch, tons of lights, etc. It's perfect for me, my plan is to take it to Baja this fall for an extended tour of beaches with my GF.

For the geeks in this thread, the vitals are: 87 D90, R380/ 1.2, 3.5L from an old range rover with a newer range rover injection system installed, and the truck has a complete OME suspension underneath. Runs and drives great, goes 75 with a tailwind without revving much, but only goes 48 into that same wind.

Having lived with it for a while, I'm tired of how slow it is. Add in a tendency to expectorate coolant (head gasket? dunno, it doesn't do it fast but it does it consistently!) and I decided a repower was in order.

Enter my friend Jeff Summers of Harris Truck Parts. He had a good 2002 Disco motor sitting under a shelf, and I traded him some cash and it became mine. Then I found D&D Performance, who sent me a gasket set, camshaft (to drive the distributor), and various other bits I apparently will need, and now we come to the motivation part.

The goal is to pull the motor on Thursday, swap parts from 3.5 to 4.0 on Friday, and reassemble next week. I found a shop willing to do the swap for $1k, but I decided that since my goal was to take this thing all kinds of off-the-beaten-path places, I wanted to do the work myself. So, I called in a favor with another friend, who runs a race/ vintage shop, and secured myself a bay for the project, along with guidance to get me unstuck in the (likely) event that I found myself outside my depth.

Next post on Thursday. Wish me luck!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #1159
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,919
Let's see, you can ride, you ran THE race, and now this.

I don't know you except through this sit, but I really don't think I like you.

Great truck, congrats and good luck!

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 AM   #1160
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,282
Big job there Ned. Good luck. Lovely Landy.

Came across this whilst sailing. Local welders truck:

Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #1161
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post

For the geeks in this thread, the vitals are: 87 D90, R380/ 1.2, 3.5L from an old range rover with a newer range rover injection system installed, and the truck has a complete OME suspension underneath. Runs and drives great, goes 75 with a tailwind without revving much, but only goes 48 into that same wind.
Nice truck... but it isn't a D90

You have a "Land Rover Ninety" (spelled out, not numeric)

The Defender -- as a name and as an alphanumeric expression, i.e. D90, D110, D130 -- wasn't introduced until 1990.

Enjoy!

P.S. Highly recommend a 4.6 block. They're becoming more reasonably priced...

P.P.S. : The boys at www.d-90.com are, almost to the man, total experts on your truck.

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."

maloryII screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 08:46 PM
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #1162
Hurley959
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I still think you're splitting hairs with the 90 vs. Ninety argument. Technically his truck is not branded as a Defender, but it is nearly the same exact vehicle, drivetrain aside. I find it a bit silly to make the distinction.

How do you plan on running that BOSCH engine in your truck? My experience with D2's is limited, but running that motor outside of its original platform seems like it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

The 4.6 is a great runner, but it's easy to rack up a hefty bill when building one, and they gulp fuel. I'd rather swap in a GM V8 to make the truck more drivable.
Hurley959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #1163
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,483
on the topic of fuel consumption, we have a Disco 2a TD5, can get around 900km from a tank. the V8 equivalent will only get about 450km from the same tank capacity.

I know you can't get TD5 over in the USA and to install one not in the original platform is extremely hard, but why go a massive petrol? why not a TDi200 or TDi300 diesel?

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #1164
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,360
Quote:
Sweet! The defenders and those style Land Rovers are my favorite, if I were a rich man I'd have one as a toy myself

There's a nice 110 for sale up in Lyons (it's on the Boulder CList), for any other CO ADV'rs that are a gluttons for punishment.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #1165
maloryII
more north, more wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley959 View Post
I still think you're splitting hairs with the 90 vs. Ninety argument. Technically his truck is not branded as a Defender, but it is nearly the same exact vehicle, drivetrain aside. I find it a bit silly to make the distinction.
It's certainly not splitting hairs. That isn't a Defender 90, it's a Land Rover Ninety (I think they called the 3 doors "wagons" but not sure). Assuming neduro has been bitten by the Rover bug, and goes on to participate in the Land Rover community, he's going to sound pretty silly telling other enthusiasts and parts suppliers that he has a 1987 Defender 90.

I wouldn't even call the difference between the Ninety and the D90 a "detail" -- since with the Defender 90 also came the 200tdi.

I am wrong on one point, however -- I'm pretty sure on the bonnet of the Nineties it says "Land Rover 90", not "Ninety", although Land Rover referred to it a "Ninety" in all associated literature.

And I'm a Discovery guy... imagine all the juicy hair-splitting a Defender guy could go on about!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #1166
neduro
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
There's a nice 110 for sale up in Lyons (it's on the Boulder CList), for any other CO ADV'rs that are a gluttons for punishment.
Nice like it has an extra zero on the price nice! But I do want!

Today's progress was bumper and most of the stuff in the engine bay not necessary to get it to the shop. I figured an air cleaner was unnecessary for an engine that's coming out.

Tomorrow was supposed to be all day engine out. But I got called into stuff in the AM... so hopefully it'll go fast? Yeah right.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #1167
maloryII
more north, more wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
why not a TDi200 or TDi300 diesel?
$$$, registration issues, and parts availability.

The 200tdi is a dog anyway.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #1168
neduro
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley959 View Post
How do you plan on running that BOSCH engine in your truck? My experience with D2's is limited, but running that motor outside of its original platform seems like it'd be more trouble than it's worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
but why go a massive petrol? why not a TDi200 or TDi300 diesel?
Like Malory said, parts, $$ and availability.

I got a screaming cheap deal on a 4.0 with good compression. So 4.0 it is. That keeps it all rover (I'm skeptical of hybrid stuff, and I think many other buyers are as well) and also makes it a dead simple swap- all the same parts are in the same places.

I'll be putting my old FI system on the new engine. I'm told it works. I guess I'll know for sure real soon here.

As for the Defender or not question, can you elaborate on some of the fundamental differences between a 1987 and a 1990 that would make such a differentiation important?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #1169
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,341
You guys are my heroes. Takes big stones to own a Rover. Mine almost put me in the poor house, the psych ward, and prison, in that order. Did the happy dance when its new owner drove it away. Mind you, if I had the $ and connections to have a brand new Defender imported from England and magically become legal here I'd own one again
Old 08-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #1170
Hurley959
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
As for the Defender or not question, can you elaborate on some of the fundamental differences between a 1987 and a 1990 that would make such a differentiation important?
As a 'Defender guy' I can say they're few and far between. In 1990 the 200TDi became available as an option, but the V8's were still implemented.

I absolutely mean it when I say there really is no distinction to be made. Body, chassis, axles, and interior went almost completely unchanged between 1989 and 1990 when the Defender was branded as such. Hell, you could put the two side-by-side and I couldn't tell one from the other. And I've been working on and restoring these things for years.

As for TDi's, they're becoming more and more economical to swap. For a while parts and service were a nightmare, but a lot vendors are now supporting them and they aren't as much of a headache. With more and more TDi-equipped trucks crossing the pond, I think this will only get better. I prefer them 10 times out of 10 to the Rover V8. I do have plans for an LS-powered 110 in the future though.
Hurley959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: