Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #1186
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Enter my friend Jeff Summers of Harris Truck Parts. He had a good 2002 Disco motor sitting under a shelf, and I traded him some cash and it became mine. Then I found D&D Performance, who sent me a gasket set, camshaft (to drive the distributor), and various other bits I apparently will need, and now we come to the motivation part.

The goal is to pull the motor on Thursday, swap parts from 3.5 to 4.0 on Friday, and reassemble next week. I found a shop willing to do the swap for $1k, but I decided that since my goal was to take this thing all kinds of off-the-beaten-path places, I wanted to do the work myself. So, I called in a favor with another friend, who runs a race/ vintage shop, and secured myself a bay for the project, along with guidance to get me unstuck in the (likely) event that I found myself outside my depth.

Next post on Thursday. Wish me luck!
You are a brave man.
Of course, the 4.0 motors are pretty good at spewing coolant too.
Let us know how it goes.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #1187
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,842
So far, so good. It's nice to work on something so straightforward and spacious, although I definitely prefer motorcycles.

In about 4 hours yesterday, got everything disconnected and removed to be able to pull the engine this morning.

Today's push will be getting the 4.0 ready to go in- swapping cam, removing serpentine and replacing with V-belt, removing electronic ignition, rebuilding oil pump, etc.

We're going to attempt to use the 4.0 intake and injectors with the old FI computer... fingers crossed we can make that work.

Will bring the camera, which I neglected to do yesterday.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #1188
Hurley959
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloryII View Post
VERY nice. Those are RSOVs (Ranger Special Operations Vehicles), one of the more rare Defender variants out there -- assuming those are authentic examples as I've heard the majority are replicas. First clue is whether or not they're LHD. Since they were built for the U.S. Ranger Regiment(s), the real RSOVs were all LHD. British military gurus can correct me if I'm wrong here -- I don't know if the British military ever fielded its own version of the RSOV(?). The seats, basket, and door sills also look incorrect.

There's a big long story on how, when, where RSOVs were used, how people acquired them, etc etc.
Absolutely not RSOV's. RHD is an immediate give-away, in addition to the fact that they're missing a million components unique to the RSOV. I'd guess some sort of MOD variant if they are service vehicles. Here's one I helped build a while back...probably the most accurately reproduced, civilian-owned RSOV in the US. We were fortunate enough to have a access to a real one to take measurements and recreate it almost exactly.

Hurley959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #1189
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
VERY nice. Those are RSOVs (Ranger Special Operations Vehicles), one of the more rare Defender variants out there -- assuming those are authentic examples as I've heard the majority are replicas. First clue is whether or not they're LHD. Since they were built for the U.S. Ranger Regiment(s), the real RSOVs were all LHD. British military gurus can correct me if I'm wrong here -- I don't know if the British military ever fielded its own version of the RSOV(?). The seats, basket, and door sills also look incorrect.

There's a big long story on how, when, where RSOVs were used, how people acquired them, etc etc.

Not RSOV. They are LR WOLF / TUM with the WMIK Kit installed.

RSOVs are regular Defender 110 Station wagons modified and with the doors removed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSOV

The TUM / TUL are defender 90/110 Hardtop based, have redesigned, reinforced Frames, rear axle and lots of modular acessories like the fiberglass hardtop, the wmik kit, weapon platforms, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Wolf

great pics on this site

http://www.adrianstomcat.co.uk/WMIK.htm

Theres also a 110 HCPU *HiCapacityPickUp) based variant w. v8 and 24v system>

http://www.adrianstomcat.co.uk/TUMSF.htm

Doc.Snyder screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 05:11 PM
Doc.Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #1190
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

here an older, nice vid about mil landies.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #1191
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Some Wolf Land Rovers are winterised and waterproofed: a snorkel allows the vehicle to wade through water up to windscreen level and an engine fluids heater is fitted to pre-warm the engine – along with the other modifications to enable the vehicle and crew to operate in extreme conditions. Other modifications are made for operations in tropical environments. The Royal Marines operate a special deep-wading version for amphibious assaults. Fitted with a 'periscope' snorkel, waterproofed electrical systems and instruments, and prepared with grease and graphite lubricant on practically every moving part, these versions can run with the entire vehicle submerged if needed. The tailgate is held open by struts to allow water into the vehicle to prevent it floating away, and to allow water to rapidly drain after reaching the shore. In training exercises the vehicles are operated in depths so that the driver's head and shoulders are clear of the water.

Theres one for sale here>

http://www.mod-sales.com/auction/veh...0_Hard_Top.htm

and the modified bed to drain water quickly.

Doc.Snyder screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 05:27 PM
Doc.Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #1192
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,687
That the two follow-up posts regarding RSOVs are also not RSOVs should give one a pretty good idea of their rarity.

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #1193
Hurley959
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder View Post

The TUM / TUL are defender 90/110 Hardtop based, have redesigned, reinforced Frames, rear axle and lots of modular acessories like the fiberglass hardtop, the wmik kit, weapon platforms, etc.
Are you familiar with the reinforcements made to the chassis on those vehicles? The RSOV has plating on the top and bottom of the frame rails that run their entire length, as well as gusseting on the coil spring mounts and a handful of other places. I'm curious as to how the two differ in that aspect.

Quote:
That the two follow-up posts regarding RSOVs are also not RSOVs should give one a pretty good idea of their rarity.
Care to elaborate?
Hurley959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #1194
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
So far, so good. It's nice to work on something so straightforward and spacious, although I definitely prefer motorcycles.

In about 4 hours yesterday, got everything disconnected and removed to be able to pull the engine this morning.

Today's push will be getting the 4.0 ready to go in- swapping cam, removing serpentine and replacing with V-belt, removing electronic ignition, rebuilding oil pump, etc.

We're going to attempt to use the 4.0 intake and injectors with the old FI computer... fingers crossed we can make that work.

Will bring the camera, which I neglected to do yesterday.
If you need a brain to pick feel free to PM me, I;ve been a LR tech for 12yrs, and a owner as well. Have done the repower thing on my D90, a 4.6, also on my Classic, put a 4.6 into it as well, oh, and on my 96 disco, again, a 4.6. think I like the 4.6.

If you could find a crank and set of rods for a 4.6l, this is a great upgrade from the 4.0, makes a would of difference. The added grunt is what these trucks need.

Also, if you could find a front cover/oil pump from a 95 Disco/classic, you could convert to serp drive belt. you would also need the alt and mount and p/s and mount to match, the p/s lines from a D1 will work. The cost might seem hi at first, until you need to replace the original alt on your 90.

If the FI set up you have is the 3.9/4.2l 13/14CUX set up, I'd use that, I would think that trying to get the Bosch FI set up to work would be a bit of a challenge, with not much to gain.

Don't know if Worldpack in in your area, but they are a wholeseller for euro car parts, prices very good compared to oem.

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #1195
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
Also, if you have the 14CUX FI, get the 4.2l chip for it, you can get it from a dealer, not too expensive. The last chip released solved all the cold start flooding issues, the one you have from the UK may not have that issue fixed, it was a problem we had here in NA.

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #1196
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbenda View Post
You are a brave man.
Of course, the 4.0 motors are pretty good at spewing coolant too.
Let us know how it goes.

Spew they do....along with dropping cylinder liners.....

Had my Disco towed away last week, I donated it to charity exactly ten years from the day I bought it. I didn't even look back as they towed that bitch away....

New 4Runner limited is ....
Gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #1197
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,842
Well, I'm a little behind where I wanted to be but not bad.

- Cam w/ distributor drive is installed in the 4.0
- Oil pump and water pump are disassembled and ready for rebuild
- Outside parts have been cleaned/ bead blasted/ painted as appropriate

I think putting the motor back together from here won't be too bad.

Once that's done, I need to sort out intake/ manifold plans. I think we're going to use all the new parts since they are so much more nicely made, and do some fabrication to get hoses pointed where we need them, etc. Then, we need to rework the wiring harness to make sure sensors go where they need to, get the old computer talking to the new injectors, etc.

Then it'll be time to put the motor back in, which I think will actually be pretty easy when the time comes. And then the moment of truth.

Best case scenario- Monday I have real work that has to happen, Tuesday motor assemble/ wiring harness, Wednesday back in.

It's sure satisfying to see it all happen and be sure that things are done how I want them done!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #1198
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,584

Er.

Mah.

Gerd.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #1199
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post

Cool? Or abomination?

Build thread here
Very cool, GOOD job. and love the rat look.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #1200
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,980
Spotted this one in Greece with Romanian plates, apparently the newest Defender pretty bits have been changed, but the style remains the same.

It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: