Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 97 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #1261
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntec4 View Post
I've just been to drop the van off to have a windscreen replaced. They had just finished doing the screen on this. Sorry about the phone picture

Nice

Used to drive one of these regularly a long long time ago
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #1262
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Well,

I collected it this morning. The drive home was not great, stuck in traffic for ages due to a Mitsubishi Pajero bursting into flames on the Motorway. So we had the engine off for a while just sat there.

But so far I really like it. Quiet, very comfortable, not fast but fast enough. Smooth, handles ok for a big vehicle on the road. Not had it off-road yet, but will take it to the farm tomorrow and get it muddy. Its a 2003 TD5 ES Auto. Havn't yet figured out all the buttons and switches etc. It was quarter full on the gauge when I picked it up, so I filled it on the way home and managed to get a whisker over 100 of Diesel in it! Hope the range is reasonable! I noticed the gauge didn't go all the way to the top even though it was full (just under the top line).

I'll get pics of the outside tomorrow when it gets muddy
Old 09-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #1263
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
Quote:
Well,

I collected it this morning. The drive home was not great, stuck in traffic for ages due to a Mitsubishi Pajero bursting into flames on the Motorway. So we had the engine off for a while just sat there.

But so far I really like it. Quiet, very comfortable, not fast but fast enough. Smooth, handles ok for a big vehicle on the road. Not had it off-road yet, but will take it to the farm tomorrow and get it muddy. Its a 2003 TD5 ES Auto. Havn't yet figured out all the buttons and switches etc. It was quarter full on the gauge when I picked it up, so I filled it on the way home and managed to get a whisker over 100 of Diesel in it! Hope the range is reasonable! I noticed the gauge didn't go all the way to the top even though it was full (just under the top line).

welcome to the `club` i am in australia and find www.aulro.com a very useful, frendly and informative forum for info and assistance. Also my haynes manual!
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #1264
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
welcome to the `club` i am in australia and find www.aulro.com a very useful, frendly and informative forum for info and assistance. Also my haynes manual!
You can download the dealer service manual (RAVE) for free here:

http://www.landroverresource.com/

Lots of good details not included in Haynes/Chiltons

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #1265
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Here's the chassis that will provide my drivetrain. Motor has 20k but the chassis has 350k!

Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #1266
Achtung

Too bad the frame broke on the way home.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #1267
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloryII View Post
You can download the dealer service manual (RAVE) for free here:

http://www.landroverresource.com/

Lots of good details not included in Haynes/Chiltons
Thanks for both links. Very usefull. I'm almost avoiding the LR forums for fear of finding out how unreliable they are

I took it offroad (Muddy fields and rutted tracks) this afternoon on the farm, couldn't get any photo's as it was raining so hard I would have needed an underwater case! It did great, even on the road tyres in has.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #1268
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Here's the chassis that will provide my drivetrain. Motor has 20k but the chassis has 350k!

Wow, thats some project you have taken on there! Have you started a build thread in the Garage? You should, it will be great to follow along.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #1269
Achtung

Quote:
Wow, thats some project you have taken on there! Have you started a build thread in the Garage? You should, it will be great to follow along.
This truck will be providing the drivetrain only. I have another one with a decent body but also has a rotted frame. I'll buy a galvi chassis and combine the three to make one. Right now I'm in parts accumulation mode but as soon as I buy the chassis it will be full on assembly, at which time I will start a build thread over there. Thanks for the encouragement. Heres the truck from previously in this thread.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #1270
damoace
PinderBuilt

Oddometer: 798
Quote:

You'll love it. Disco's do just about everything with a high degree of capability, like this:

And this:

I love my Disco and use it almost everyday. I run an old Barracuda Pickup for work too and the the Disco is so much more comfortable on long towing runs. I'd much rather take the Disco to tow anything at motorway speeds.

Still miss my old Bobby though:

Love the Series 2 looks and the colour of yours. A mate of mine used those 'at work' with a V8 and manual 'box (only certain roles got those - most were auto's) and can confirm that they can tow fully laden Class1's off the carriageway. Impressive stuff....

WWW.BMRIDER.COM
damoace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #1271
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Well, so far I'm really enjoying the Disco II. But, i noticed I rainbow on the wet road underneath it this morning after driving it to a customers. Had a look underneath and it appears the steering box is leaking from the bottom seal I crawled underneath and got a mate to turn the steering from side to side and it leaks when on full lock.
Called the dealer and it will be going back on Thursday morning, they are going to lend me a corsa whilst they fix it. I could probably do it myself quicker (it's a 60 mile round trip to the dealer), but I have a warranty and I've only had it 3 days so they can do it.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #1272
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,853
Mine is back up and running! Took me about 6 weeks to get the time to finish it...

We managed to make the modern intake manifold work, it took cutting and welding the fuel rail to accomodate taller injectors, fabbing about a million little odds and ends to deal with sensors/ plumbing, etc. But it's in!

So nice to have a feeling of confidence, or at least knowledge, of what's going on under the hood.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #1273
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Mine is back up and running! Took me about 6 weeks to get the time to finish it...

We managed to make the modern intake manifold work, it took cutting and welding the fuel rail to accomodate taller injectors, fabbing about a million little odds and ends to deal with sensors/ plumbing, etc. But it's in!

So nice to have a feeling of confidence, or at least knowledge, of what's going on under the hood.
That's awesome!!!
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #1274
rpo83
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 600
I feel your pain, i did the same thing with my build, except i was going to run dedicated LPG. The Gas Research throttle body worked out really well when we were working out all the 1,001 little things that had to be catered for..

I have spent many years building this, but i have come to the realisation that i will never finish it, so it is soon to be parted out

It has been a money pit, and my life has moved on from wanting to do extreme 4x4'ing

It will be a sad day when it is all gone...

My 2011 Ride around Aus http://rpo83.blogspot.com.au/
rpo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #1275
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Nice looking truck. Doesn't look like there is much left to do?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: