maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
Here's a pic of the landy in question:

Seriously thinking I need to get some time off work to go see it

Hotness.

That V8 will hurt your wallet. Figure around 10-12 mpg.

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #122
Mav OP
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloryII
Hotness.

That V8 will hurt your wallet. Figure around 10-12 mpg.
Even on a long run or just around town? 10-12mpg hurts my wallet even more in Blighty

What's the deal with some people suggesting the V8 isn't as good in water compared to the diesel?

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #123
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
Even on a long run or just around town? 10-12mpg hurts my wallet even more in Blighty

What's the deal with some people suggesting the V8 isn't as good in water compared to the diesel?
Some people will tell you they can get 16mpg or so on the highway... but expect low teens, if any increase at all.

I can't imagine owning a V8 in Europe unless I was super rich or something. You tell yourself: "Oh, I won't drive it very much. That'll keep the cost low!"

Problem is, they're so cool and fun to drive and you end up driving it way more than you originally intended.

I've never heard the V8 vs diesel water comparison... Air intake height should be the only real issue? Maybe the V8 is a heavier motor?

Anyway, fuel consumption aside, looks like an awesome truck. You Brits are very lucky to have those things on every street corner -- they're becoming increasingly rare in the States.

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #124
Jhon

Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
The weak point with the earlier V8's in water is the location of the distributor at the front of the engine. When it gets wet, it shorts out and you lose your sparks.

The engine driven fan throws water up and over the distributor and plug wires - you can combat this to a certain extent by fitting electric fans and switching them off before entering the water. Lots of silicone grease helps as well.

The newer engine with the distributerless ignition may well be better, but I've no experience with this engine in deep water.
Jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #125
Mav OP
Something witty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon
The weak point with the earlier V8's in water is the location of the distributor at the front of the engine. When it gets wet, it shorts out and you lose your sparks.

The engine driven fan throws water up and over the distributor and plug wires - you can combat this to a certain extent by fitting electric fans and switching them off before entering the water. Lots of silicone grease helps as well.

The newer engine with the distributerless ignition may well be better, but I've no experience with this engine in deep water.
Thanks for the explanation

This is a '92 so I'm guessing it'll suffer from this problem... surely someone has developed a waterproof distributor cap? If not, I guess there is always duck tape

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:54 AM   #126
Jhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
... surely someone has developed a waterproof distributor cap?
I'm not sure, it's been a few years since I had a V8. You could try Craddocks, if anyone knows they will ...http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/

A cheap and cheerful mod that we used, was to cut a plastic water bottle or milk carton in half, and place it over the distributor to shield it from the water. Punch holes in the top for taking the leads through and seal them around with silicone. Route the leads carefully so that they're isolated from any metal and rub them with silicone grease.

That should keep you going with a bow wave water height up to the headlights.

If you're planning going deeper, diesel is definitely the way to go.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:55 AM   #127
Mav OP
Something witty...

I don't deliberately go looking for water... but I seem to find myself in deep water a little too often

IMGP2417

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #128
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav

The V8 definitely is not as good in water as the Diesel. Mostly because of the electrics .... The early v8s had the distributor on the front of the engine. The later models with fuel injection (Bosch/GEMs etc) while having the electrics in a slightly better place are still prone to dying at the best moment (usually halfway across a ford) ...

The diesels don't rely on as much electrickery to do their thing ..... thus are less susceptible to water.

Hope that helps.....

Learnt from many painful and sometimes expensive lessons
Old 08-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #129
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
diesel ignition is through a high combution ratio.

Gasoline is through an electrical spark.

Electricity don't work underwater.

Diesel engines will run underwater provided water is not sucked though the intake. Gas is dead as soon as the distributor is submerged. You can't make them water resistant enough or for very long.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #130
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
That pretty much nails it.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #131
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog
sorry didn't get back to you guy's, slow day !!!

here's a photo of under the bonnet (hood)

yep - needs a clean !!!

will get them spec's.........................soon !!!

cheers matty

spot the landy !!!
That's the 300tdi engine. 2.5l 4cyl. Great engine. Was used till 1997 or 1998, then replaced by the modern Td5 (Storm) engine.
After 1997, the 300tdi was still used in the military Defenders (TUL / TUM) and in ROW (Rest Of the World) spec. Defenders until a couple of years ago.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #132
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

You can clearly see the similarity between the 2.8 liter TGV and the 300tdi LR Engine:

Old 08-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #133
Mav OP
Something witty...

OK, so I've spoken to my friendly local Landy mechanic - he confirmed how bad they are in water. He said that simply pooring a bottle of water over the bonnet of his first V8 was enough to stop it He also said that it's surprising gutless....

But given how cheap this particular Landy is, for 2k he could drop a 300TDi unit and gearbox in there and it would still be cheaper than buying a similar mileage TDi...

Decisions, decisions

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #134
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Make sure, the Frame has some substance left. Especially if it has seen a lot of water and rain. Some try to cover rust damage with loads of Waxoyl or similar stuff.

New galvanised frames are not too expensive, though. Designa Chassis, Marsland, or similar manufacturers make great stuff.

Also check the front bulkhead (between windows and bonnet, and under the front rubber mats).
Another thing: Check for contact corrosion, where the aluminium body comes in contact with steel parts. Especially the doors (new ones are made completely out of steel again) and where the cappings (steel) meet the body panels (aluminium).
Old 08-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #135
Jhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
He also said that it's surprising gutless....
Even when they were new the 3.5 was a pretty gutless engine, particularly if it was fitted with Stromberg carbs.

The 3.5 Efi was a better engine and the 3.9 can be pretty poky.

The problem is, that unless you change the oil really regularly the cams and valve gear wear out. Compression drops as well and can vary hugely across the cylinders. The engine still sounds like it's running OK, but there's bugger all power.

Oversized wheels and tyres up the gearing and inertia, which doesn't help either.

The good news is that it's a very tuneable engine. A company called Real Steel can supply you with a 4.3L stroker conversion and a torquey cam. Combine this with a pair of 1 3/4'' SU's or a 4 choke Weber and it'll take you up over 200hp easily.

I built and run one for years, it was great fun. Everyone should own a V8 at some point in their life, to hell with the expense.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: