ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 97 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #1441
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloryII View Post
Big bust out in NC at GB 4x4

http://www.wect.com/story/21791074/f...-investigation

Aaron was one of the more prolific importers of Defenders to the US. The internet Rover community is quite abuzz about this -- a couple trucks had already been paid for, and the owners saw pictures of them being hauled off by the Feds.
When you said NC I immediately knew who you were talking about. I used to live in Wilmington and ran down to their shops once to meet the "Wilmington connection."

If it's any consolation the Feds once famously helicoptered dudes in black suits in to the boat yards which are maybe 2 miles away from this location because they were not happy with the way that ships were being scrapped.

Anyway ... Keep your hand on your wallet.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #1442
Hurley959
Adventurer
 
Hurley959's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Oddometer: 58
DHS and Customs have been cracking down significantly on the Defenders that have been coming in lately, but Aaron's situation goes further than a couple of questionable trucks.
Hurley959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #1443
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!
 
RomaDakota's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Goldilocks Zone
Oddometer: 1,401
Guess where my ole D90 came from...
__________________
КМЗ Dnepr MT11 // КМЗ M72 // ИЖ Planeta 5 // КМЗ MV750 // Урал М63 // BMW R1200GS 30th
RomaDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #1444
Blair
.
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Margaritaville
Oddometer: 720
Wonder who turned him in?
__________________
tengo un cohete en el pantalon!
Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #1445
big adv
I need supervision
 
big adv's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC. CND
Oddometer: 1,072
Could be a wheel speed sensor(right front more than likely) or the shuttle valve sticking in the HCU. there are TIB's for both, both very common for 2002.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
Hi
Got a 2002 Disco2a TD5, Aus spec with ACE.

Ok, we have the 3 amigo lights AND the parking / brake warning light illuminated on the dash panel.
From what I have read, its usually the HDC / TC / ABS lights that come on but why the red parking light as well?

I did some breaking test yesterday on a clear section of road and had no ABS, I could get the wheels to lock up and skid, and the brake pedal didn't pulse like if there was ABS. It has been wet as well and have slipped on some wet / greasy roundabouts as well.

Because I had the red brake light as well, I wondered if it was a warning that the brake pads were thin / worn to limits. Because the brake pads were thin, the warning light came on and that has disabled the ABS / TC /HDC, so that the brakes don't get used more than they need to.

I had the front wheels off today and did a visual on the front brake pads, plenty there, so unless the rears are too thin, brake pads seem fine.

I have checked my regular go to source http://www.aulro.com/afvb/index.php but not able to find anything about the four lights (but my search fu is weak).

I got my Haynes work shop manual out and looked at the wiring for the red warning light and that is triggered by the hand brake lever and the brake fluid level. I have checked the brake fluid level and that is fine, though it needs replacing (I pulled the cap and did a visual).

I am suspecting that its caused by the ABS / TC / HDC system, because it all comes from the braking system, but why the parking light as well?

I looked at pulling the front disks when I had the wheel off today but then the rain came in (call me lame but near on 2" of rain in the last 2 days, its raining heavily at the moment - and no suitable under cover work area)

I am going to call my local LR specialist tomorrow and see about booking him in for some diagnosis and brake fluid change.

Any ideas / suggestions / experience of this?

Thanks
Hay Ewe
__________________
BA

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!


big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #1446
overlandr
Dystopist
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 5,856


Listed on Gumtree in Oz if interested.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #1447
teledan
Adventurer
 
teledan's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Oddometer: 75
I still haven't got all the way through this thread yet but here are the family's rovers:



The white D90 was totalled (I won't say by whom) so my brother and I rebuilt it from the frame up. We found a used frame and had it galvanized. Of course we had to upgrade some of the suspension components while we were at it :) I learned to drive in it when I was 12. Still needs a few things but at least its back on the road. The white Disco is my daily in the winter and when I am not riding my XT500.
teledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #1448
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer
 
TengaiJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Tappan, NY
Oddometer: 3,119
Nice Rovers!
Is this the same Dan that modifies panhard rods?
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #1449
teledan
Adventurer
 
teledan's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Nice Rovers!
Is this the same Dan that modifies panhard rods?
Yes sir!
teledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #1450
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer
 
TengaiJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Tappan, NY
Oddometer: 3,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by teledan View Post
Yes sir!
Small world, I have two of them. One on my RRC and one on a DI. I need another one, you still making them?
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #1451
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer
 
sandgroper's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Wanneroo, Western Australia
Oddometer: 4,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post


Listed on Gumtree in Oz if interested.
likes like mine how much are they asking.

ed
sandgroper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #1452
teledan
Adventurer
 
teledan's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Small world, I have two of them. One on my RRC and one on a DI. I need another one, you still making them?
Nice!! Hope they are working well for you. I am not making any right now, between my bike, a new baby, work, and school I don't have time for much else! I have thought about doing some one at a time and selling them as I finish them instead of in batches but probably not in the near future.
teledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #1453
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer
 
TengaiJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Tappan, NY
Oddometer: 3,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by teledan View Post
Nice!! Hope they are working well for you. I am not making any right now, between my bike, a new baby, work, and school I don't have time for much else! I have thought about doing some one at a time and selling them as I finish them instead of in batches but probably not in the near future.
Congrats on the new baby!!!

I know how hard it is to juggle a family and our hobbies.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #1454
teledan
Adventurer
 
teledan's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Congrats on the new baby!!!

I know how hard it is to juggle a family and our hobbies.
Yeah I kinda put rovers and skiing on the back burner and decided that if I am going to have a hobby it will be bikes.
teledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #1455
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe
 
Hay Ewe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: FNQ - AUS
Oddometer: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
Hi
Got a 2002 Disco2a TD5, Aus spec with ACE.

Ok, we have the 3 amigo lights AND the parking / brake warning light illuminated on the dash panel.
From what I have read, its usually the HDC / TC / ABS lights that come on but why the red parking light as well?

I did some breaking test yesterday on a clear section of road and had no ABS, I could get the wheels to lock up and skid, and the brake pedal didn't pulse like if there was ABS. It has been wet as well and have slipped on some wet / greasy roundabouts as well.

Because I had the red brake light as well, I wondered if it was a warning that the brake pads were thin / worn to limits. Because the brake pads were thin, the warning light came on and that has disabled the ABS / TC /HDC, so that the brakes don't get used more than they need to.

I had the front wheels off today and did a visual on the front brake pads, plenty there, so unless the rears are too thin, brake pads seem fine.

I have checked my regular go to source http://www.aulro.com/afvb/index.php but not able to find anything about the four lights (but my search fu is weak).

I got my Haynes work shop manual out and looked at the wiring for the red warning light and that is triggered by the hand brake lever and the brake fluid level. I have checked the brake fluid level and that is fine, though it needs replacing (I pulled the cap and did a visual).

I am suspecting that its caused by the ABS / TC / HDC system, because it all comes from the braking system, but why the parking light as well?

I looked at pulling the front disks when I had the wheel off today but then the rain came in (call me lame but near on 2" of rain in the last 2 days, its raining heavily at the moment - and no suitable under cover work area)

I am going to call my local LR specialist tomorrow and see about booking him in for some diagnosis and brake fluid change.

Any ideas / suggestions / experience of this?

Thanks
Hay Ewe
Thanks for the replies.
I took him in, hooked him and the fault codes were odd. Front Left Sensor, shuttle valve and two others, but the number of occurrences was zero.
We erased / reset them and I went on my way.
I did some brake tests on bitumen and dirt - back to normal
I got the traction control to activate on some dirt - more than once

This was 1 week ago and since then, no lights, nothing, all is normal

just one of those things I suppose

Hay Ewe
__________________
Moments before you die, your life will flash before your eyes - make sure the film is worth watching - my Grandad
Don't go gentle into the long final good night from which no man has yet returned.
WWBD? -
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014