Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 07:45 AM   #31
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
keep the bike, get some luggage (screens are for wussies) and take the trip. It is easier to turn your bike into a tourer than turn a touring bike into a fun agile bike like yours.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #32
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Side
If the maintenance doesn't kill you the residual value for a bike with high miles will. There are so many low mileage garage queen Ducatis out there that one that has been ridden is virtually worthless.
When did motorcycles become an investment option???
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #33
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDNate
When did motorcycles become an investment option???
Harleys were for about ten years...

However, those days are long gone...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #34
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar Rider
Here's the deal

I am in desperate need of the healing powers of a long-distance motorcycle journey. I'm sick of working for the man and ready to quit my job and just go ride

Thinking of heading out west through new mexico and arizona, hanging out with my friend in LA, take the PCH up to Vancouver, and ride whatever cool roads I can along the way.

My current bike is a monster S2R1000. I love it, and don't really want to sell it. But it's not the greatest distance bike around. I figure I could put some bar risers on it and get a more upright position and there are some aftermarket windscreens but they are still pretty tiny. It's pretty much limited to a 130-mile range too.

The bike is fun as hell, but I don't know how I'd feel after riding it 300 miles each day.

Oh and I'm with pass the gravy; back in the day mofos just rode whatever they had. Nowadays we have the luxury of too many options. Just ride.

The other option I'm considering is buying a multistrada or ktm 950 out in cali and selling it when I get back... but then of course I have less $ for the trip. just not sure and the indecision is killin' me.

What would you do?
Dude I have an 02 S4 that when I bough it was set up for touring: mandarin duck bags, windscreen, bar risers, etc. Here she is:

Since then I went with a S4R triple clamp and added Speedymoto bar risers and suburban machinery bars and a DP gel seat. Couldn't be more comfy. Here she is now:

The monster is the most versatile bike. I even added clip ons for track days.
And as far as 100 fuel ups, think of them as breaks to rejuvenate.

Good luck, and if you're ever in San Diego...Holla!

Oh and I'm with "pass the gravy." back in the day people just rode what they had. Nowadays we have the luxury of too many options. Just ride.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #35
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,218
Set it up and ride it. I have bags and topcase for my Buell. It works just fine. A better windscreen would be nice sometimes, but other than that it's fine.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:29 PM   #36
BrianK
F'in' half ass lookie boy

Oddometer: 852
WTF not? You've gotten good advice on the barbacks (HeliBars worked wonders on my 900SS - amazing what a difference one inch higher and one inch back will do!) and soft luggage (I like Cortech but there's certainly a lot of options). I'd also recommend an "Airhawk" or other seat cushion - your sit bones will appreciate it. (If you do get an Airhawk, note their instructions - it's so easy to overfill it. You really want a minimum of air in there - experiment).

Go do it. You might run into issues from time to time. So what? Enjoy.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:03 AM   #37
Radar Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
hmm after reading the responses so far it seems most of you are all for going the distance on the monster and some have even done it themselves... I guess you guys are a little more batshit than I thought!!
Radar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #38
Otherguy
First World Traveler

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
hmm after reading the responses so far it seems most of you are all for going the distance on the monster and some have even done it themselves... I guess you guys are a little more batshit than I thought!!
Or maybe we just like round headlights.
Otherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #39
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Or we like doing things people tell us we can't do!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #40
GROWLR
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM
keep the bike, get some luggage (screens are for wussies) and take the trip. It is easier to turn your bike into a tourer than turn a touring bike into a fun agile bike like yours.
^^^THIS^^^

I have an '03 Tuono that I have the Cortec saddle bags and an Ortleib dry duffle strapped to the top of that does very nicely for my sport touring needs. I go to the Paonia rally every year, and this year also went from Berthoud, CO to WSBK races outside of Salt Lake (about 550 miles.) Yes, my rear was sore at the end of that day, but not unreasonably so. My set up works well for "credit card camping" and having to get off the bike every 100-130 miles or so is a good thing just to stretch.

Give it a try on the Monster, I think you'll enjoy having it on the fun roads a lot more than you would enjoy having a comfy touring bike.
GROWLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #41
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 779
Just do it.

My first big tour NC-->Montreal-->Nova Scotia was done on a Hawk GT (similar riding position & range IIRC). Only mods were Corbin saddle and small fairing). Save room by packing just enough clothes for 3-4 days and do laundry on the road-most motels have guest washer/dryers now.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #42
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Here's the deal

I'm sick of working for the man and ready to quit my job and just go ride
You can't stick it to the man and be worried about comfort.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #43
ALvis?
Norton

Oddometer: 499
Wow, I wish I had a decent touring bike like a Ducati Monster! All I have to use is my 58 Norton...

ALvis? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #44
pitbull
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,410
I've put 100,000 km (60,000 miles) on my 01 m900 across the continent and back a few times. After a couple years of touring on it, I felt I needed a proper touring bike and bought a Triumph sprint which was a fine bike. I toured on it for a year but I found myself mostly wishing I was on the monster, especially when I hit great twisties. I sold the Triumph at the end of the summer and bought a sargent seat, top box and soft bags for the monster. Along with a tank bag, I have lots of storage. My gf will even ride two-up for 3-4 day trips without complaint.

Some day when I can afford another bike (I won't sell the monster) I'll pick up a Ducati touring bike of some sort (st series or multi) but for now the monster still puts a big smile on my face when out on some back road, far from home.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #45
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineroads
You can't stick it to the man and be worried about comfort.
Good point!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote