Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #76
pixelpacer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I'm kind of thinking about something that slides into the open tubes of the back of the frame and also attached to the rear foot pegs. The fuel is a good idea maybe I can mount a bottle to the non exhaust side like a lot of GS riders do.

I'm looking to have something together by July for a 8 day trip to Nova Scotia. I still want to hear what others have done to make their monsters more tour friendly.
pixelpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #77
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,329

Nothig to add. Just need to post in order to subscribe. At least I think that's how it works.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #78
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,216
The only problem I ever ran into was the teeny tiny excuse for a gas tank.

Quat-D Ex-Box fixed the saddlebag issue for me.

Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #79
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
No.

Next question?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #80
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,674
Something to consider- one of these:
http://www.aerostich.com/packing-it-.../fastrack.html

Then one of these (turned long-ways?):
http://www.aerostich.com/packing-it-...ry-duffel.html

With a large tank bag you would have quite a bit of storage space and not have to deal with the side pipes.

Fuel storage? Try making a mount for these on the left side or under the dry duff listed above:
http://www.rotopax.com/
Old 04-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #81
Shaughnessy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I've got 45,000 miles on my 06 Speed Triple. The ride and position are quite similar to your monster. 300 miles a day? Are you serious? That is just an afternoon pleasure cruise. I did Indy to Delaware last year in one day no problems with soft bags and so forth. Harden up and just do with what you got. Get on it and ride for Pete's sake. Sheesh.
Shaughnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #82
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
I've never had lack of gasoline as a problem riding. If you're not going to the middle of nowhere, you'll always find a gasstation within the range of the tank.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #83
pixelpacer
Gnarly Adventurer

I like were this is going! I love the fast rack idea!

Just so everyone is clear this is a older post I revived when looking for storage Idea.

Mileage really depends on the roads. 300 miles on the tight back roads and through small towns with a 45mph limits is = to 500 or even 600 miles cruising at 90+ on the highway. I have done both types and the travel times tend to be the same.

As for gas I get about 135 miles before my light comes on so I have never needed to carry gas. I just don't know about gas in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I was just looking at a bottle I could fill up if it looks like it is going to be a long stretch. But that roto pax is cool if I had a bigger bike and was doing some real remote riding I would definitely get that.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #84
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelpacer View Post
As for gas I get about 135 miles before my light comes on so I have never needed to carry gas. I just don't know about gas in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I was just looking at a bottle I could fill up if it looks like it is going to be a long stretch. But that roto pax is cool if I had a bigger bike and was doing some real remote riding I would definitely get that.
Rotopax has a 1 gallon can as the small option. Don't think you could get much smaller than that without individual fuel bottles (another option- camp stove fuel bottles)
Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #85
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464

This is the V-twin I tour on. It's not cutting edge , cool or anything , but, it's comfy and hauls a bunch of stuff. The white jugs on the back of the giant boxes are 5 liter S-100 cleaning solution jugs. I used them for 13,500 miles to date as gas jugs, No problems.
I have a Monster as well . I just keep it for closer in duty , though I did ride it to Indy , 200 plus miles , for the Moto GP.
With a little work I'm sure you could hang enough luggage on your Monster to live on , but do you want to ?

P.S. I have done a 400+ mile day on my Monster. My bike came with a Corbin Gunfighter seat, big improvment over the stocker.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 09:03 PM
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #86
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelpacer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Rotopax has a 1 gallon can as the small option. Don't think you could get much smaller than that without individual fuel bottles (another option- camp stove fuel bottles)
I use Rotopax on my GS for touring, and carry one gal fuel and one water...

under the blue drybag.
But I also carry a full kitchen on my GS

Touratech makes a 2 litre fuel can (and a 3 liter too)
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...th-spout-Black

That fits in wolfman tank panniers with LOTS of room to spare
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/tank_panniers.html

JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #87
pixelpacer
Gnarly Adventurer

Update

note I just want to restate that I revived this thread so if you read the first page then skipped to the end I'm just looking for rear storage options for a S2R.

So after looking at all kinds of options to build luggage frames, lefty bags, tail packs, even fabbing hard bags to work I think I came up with a simpler solution.

I was messing with my soft sport saddle bags and if I make a piece of foam that attaches to the back of the seat with a velco strap that is about 3 or 4 inches tall when the bags go on the bike they are high enough they don't sit on the pipe.

Anyone out there with experience think this will work. I'm going to really attach it all this weekend and see if it will get too hot.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #88
pixelpacer
Gnarly Adventurer

So I just got back from a trip to Nova Scotia 3000 miles in 8 days on the S2R. My final storage solution was a pelican box strapped to my frame with soft saddle bags over that to keep them off the pipes. I just wanted to report back in case anyone else finds this thread and is looking for ideas.

I still think I might try and build a custom frame of some kind that attached to the back of the chopped frame and the grab bars, but I know this setup works.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #89
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 450
Why not? You like the bike, right? Throw some luggage on the bitch and hit the road. It might take some fiddling to get everything exactly how you like it, but I don't see why not.

LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #90
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
if this is a one time thing, just get some farkles

if you like going on longer rides, time to look into a sport touring bike
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote