Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
elizilla OP
Not Quitting

Oddometer: 71
DMC sidecar on Yamaha Super Tenere

I took delivery last weekend!

Mr Elizilla drove me out to meet the truck at a truck stop a couple miles from the house, and I drove it home.

The bike windshield wasn't on it, because I didn't send it to DMC. The mirrors were on it, but tucked in and tightened so they couldn't be positioned, and we hadn't thought to bring a wrench. So I had to ride it home without mirrors or windshield. The windshield was no big deal, but the lack of mirrors was nerve wracking!

It tracks very straight and true, not like the Ural where you have to fight it all the time. I was pleased with the handling.

The reason I am sidecar-only these days, is because I have a chronic condition in my left foot. It's not strong enough to reliably hold up a two-wheeled bike, and it's not agile enough to move the shifter. So one of the things DMC installed for me was a Pingel push button shifter. It is very precise and shifts perfectly every time, but it is not intuitive. The red button upshifts and the green button downshifts. Seems backwards, but if there's a convention here I don't know it. DMC put the buttons on the clutch side; this is probably what Pingel recommended. But my hands are small and it's awkward trying to feather the clutch while reaching for the buttons. I am used to operating the Ural's tank shifter with my throttle hand, and I think I am going to move the push buttons to the throttle side, to match. It'll be tricky to work around the throttle tube but I'll figure it out. Maybe I'll switch the colors while I am at it.

I have hyperlites on my brake lights, but the sidecar doesn't have them. This could be confusing for drivers behind me. Considered moving one of the lights over to the sidecar side, but that would be a heck of a wire run, since they are run off a controller that's in the bike tail. I think I will just order another hyperlites kit which will give me a second controller to stuff in the sidecar taillight.

The bike was delivered with the tonneau cover installed. It's kind of difficult to install and remove with the snaps. I am going to put some zipper-ease on the snaps and see if that makes this easier. The sidecar windshield folds down under the tonneau cover and this led to the one delivery flaw. The edge of the windshield has damaged the upholstery on the sidecar seat, in transit. DMC has already sent me a replacement seat cushion. I am going to get a piece of that foam pipe insulation tubing, and carry it to put over the edge of the windshield to protect the seat, when I fold it down under the tonneau cover.

The rear luggage rack is hinged at the back, and latches at the front with hardware that I think is sourced from a jeep. The interior of the sidecar is neatly carpeted but you can lift the carpet floor mats to see the fiberglass interior of the tub. The seat pulls out and you can access the wiring behind it.

DMC installed a car tire on the rear of the bike, and it also has a car tire on the sidecar wheel. I decided not to spent the big bucks for the BMW spoked wheel, since my tug is a Yamaha.

Mr Elizilla rode to breakfast in the chair on Saturday and I used the electric trim adjustment switch to compensate for his weight. It works great but I think I can mount that switch in a more elegant fashion. Everyone who knows me, knows that I live to farkle. I will enjoy fine tuning it to suit myself.

We took it to Costco and bought a Costco-sized box of beer, and the trunk swallowed it just fine.

The front end mods are very interesting and so is the shift mechanism. I put some close up pictures in my sidecar album here:
http://s559.photobucket.com/user/kat...Tenere/sidecar

DMC has adjusted the trail more than usual, because fatigue is such a factor for me. This has made the steering extremely light. Perhaps too light. I have been talking to DMC and they are going to design me a steering damper. Because I have discovered that one specific street in my neighborhood is just a perfect storm of wobble-inducing speed, incline, and pavement conditions. I think that if I didn't have these health issues, I'd never have noticed it, especially since DMC wouldn't have suggested we lighten the steering this much. I know some people here are not fans of DMC, but I have been very pleased with their support so far, especially considering that no one else I talked to was even willing to work on this with me. I am happy with it as it is, but it will be even better when I don't have to worry about this wobble zone.

When I bought the Super10 back in 2011, before my foot became stupid, the dealer asked me what color I wanted, and I said "yellow". The dealer said they didn't come in yellow, only blue and black. I said I knew that but he asked me what color I wanted, right???

So when I sent it to DMC, they could have matched the OEM blue, but I decided this was the time to get it in my favorite color, yellow. The decals are inspired by Kenny Roberts; it is a classic Yamaha livery. They did a great job with the new paint. The whole thing is just breathtakingly beautiful. And eye catching - even more so than the red Ural. It's also much faster, better handling, and more comfortable.

I have now put about 100 miles on it. It soaks up the potholed pavement much better than the Ural; it is very composed. People can see my other thread for that Ural pothole story!

In 2011 and 2012 I rode the Super10 everywhere and loved it so much that I sold all my other bikes. But I have not been able to ride the Super10 in almost two years. As all this medical stuff came down, I didn't put a handicap tag on it since it only went out when I loaned it to able-bodied friends. I have now ordered a handicap tag for it. Because it's going to take me everywhere!

Not quitting!

elizilla screwed with this post 03-19-2015 at 04:22 PM
elizilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
Nice! Which DMC model is it?
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Sounds Great!

I got into sidecars due to disability (MS) too, 21 years ago. Hasn't gotten as bad as expected, so with some care I'm still riding the solo bikes, saving the sidecar bikes for rough going or the days I'm felling tipsy or my legs are gimpy. I've got a Motorvation Formula 2 mounted on a Guzzi Quota with DMC subframe and a Motorvation Spyder with Motorvation subframe mounted on a BMW R100GS. Both work well, but the newest of those tugs is 15 years old and my newer solo bikes aren't real well suited for sidecar application, so I've been shopping for a new tug for a while, leaning towards a Guzzi Strelvio. I wasn't even thinking of the Super Tenere, but now that you've gotten DMC to make a subframe for it, it's on my short list! Couple dealers near me have left over '13s for a little over $10k and the best price I've found on a new Stelvio is $14k, so I'm going to test ride a Super Tenere tomorrow and if it checks out OK I'll buy it. Thanks again for your review of the hack'd Super Ten, and wishing you many happy miles to come!
Old 03-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
Nice rig!

That looks great, and neat story behind it too. I like the Kenny Roberts colors too BTW. I got into the sidecar thing due to medical reasons too (spinal cord damage due to blown disk in neck... developed jello legs and degradation to fine motor skills). I was fortunate enough to get to 80 to 90% recovery, so am back on 2 wheels again too... best of both worlds!
Old 03-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 396
Great writeup and I have to agree- from what we can see it looks like a beautiful combo. How about more pictures?

Chuck
Hookalatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
elizilla OP
Not Quitting

Oddometer: 71
It is the DMC Expedition.

There are more pics, including a bunch that DMC sent to me while it was being built, in the album I linked in my first post. I haven't taken very many of my own yet since I have been so busy, but that album will grow.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
xrocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
A really beautiful rig elizilla. Absolutely love your Kenny Roberts inspired tribute. Brilliant!!! Your rig will catch everyone's eyes coming and going rain or shine.

Living life bright!

C'ya on the road ... for sure
Old 03-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,201
VERY nice!!!

That is the color/decals I wanted (that Yamaha should have made...) when I got my Tenere.

Can't wait to hear about your travels.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #9
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
That color is great!

Wish Yamaha would offer it! The Super 10 I'm looking at is white... OK, matches black or white gelcoat sidecar well... But yellow would be better!
Old 03-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,188
More pictures! Looks great!
Old 03-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #11
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Great Looking Ride.

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #12
roadchick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Wow!! Love it! The color is outstanding!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #13
Sabre
Prêt? Allez!

Oddometer: 11,476
Gorgeous, Katherine!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #14
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,034
Please, keep us posted, and give us more updates and new opinons and ideas as you go along.

I have a Super Ten and have been considering this as an option since I'm getting older (cue Beatles Song)

Thanks

Leslie

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #15
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
Delivery pic

Katherine, the dude with the beard was the truck driver, right? Pretty sure same guy that drove the truck that delivered my rig from DMC. He's got quite the Billy Gibbons style ZZ Top beard going there! A nice shot of your new rig - she's a beauty!