User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
82 virago 750 set up for a friendship 1

So I have finally cleaned the bikes out of the shed and hopefully the extras that get jammed in my shed over the winter will dissapear from the driveway soon but it have begun looking at mounting options to marry the 2 together. i took a few pictures of what i have done so far and would like some feedback (trolls need not reply).

I know i have to build a frame to attach the front lower point and have some pictures of another virago with a frame built that i will somewhat copy.

The big concern is the rear mounts particularly the lower one.

Being the first time ever mounting a sidecar I am curious what measurements that the it should be all set up to. guess the first would be how much lead should the car have and the toe and the lean angle of the bike.

the hack came with ball and tulip style attachment for the lower 2 points which i have been told have been known to fail so i will replace them. also the bearing is gone on for the torsion arm and the springs have yet to be pulled and inspected. but the torsion arm bearing is gone so now i know why the po said it gave him bad head shake. that we shouldnt even use it with out a dampner

thanks guys and all positive feed back is appreciated

agent of orange screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 07:59 PM
agent of orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,108
The rear mount that's on the footpeg bracket, not too good. The front top on the engine mount needs to be tied into the plates on both sides , at least.
If you're making a subframe for the lower front , run the tube all the way to the rear and tie it in with both sides of the bike as well. You can also tie that into the center stand mounts.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 975
I would even tie the lower sub frame up to the upper front engine mounts.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #4
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

That is the plan. I found pictures of a front subframe that was made for a virago that I will copy. Will post it up after the Marcus show aka motogp
Old 05-05-2014, 04:40 AM   #5
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

found these pictures of a home made subframe on a virago and the front section is what i would like to build. but have also thought of running a tube aft to the spot where the foot peg unit mounts to the engine.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
kshansen
kshansen

Oddometer: 172
I'm thinking the front mount tube should be connected back to the bracket between the front and rear pegs and then back to the mount by the rear foot peg. Also have a brace attached to the center stand brackets to get support to both sides of the frame. I don't see one but would assume there is an upper rear mount that is not shown in the pictures? Looks like the two by the foot pegs are about the same height, both pretty low on frame.
kshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

today i decided it be best to pull the torsion springs and inspect them before i order the bearing kit. turns out 3 out of 5 are broken. will have to get this sorted.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
kshansen
kshansen

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent of orange View Post
today i decided it be best to pull the torsion springs and inspect them before i order the bearing kit. turns out 3 out of 5 are broken. will have to get this sorted.
New ones can be made from old VW torsion bars from king pin style front ends in Beetles. I may have some if you can't locate any in NS.
kshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the offer.I ordered up the bearing and race. And I am going to talk to some guys in the local aircooled group see if anyone has any spare parts local. Plus I know where there is a beetle in the woods near me so I may stop by it next time we go hiking.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails...-131-411-107-A

would this be the vintage of torsion leafs one would need to get to make springs for the friendship??
Old 06-27-2014, 05:19 AM   #11
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

hey guys been a while since i updated. but since my last post i have replaced the bearing and purchased a torsion spring for a vw and made new springs. only 2 where not broken on the originals. now i have been welding up a frame to mount the sidecar onto the bike. the basic shape has been fabricated and welded. gussets need to be installed and the section that will go under the bike and mount to the center stand points. Also tabs have to be welded on for the heim bearing attachment points.

this last one still needs tabs put on to tie together the rear subframe and the sidecar frame. my wife thinks it is over kill on some ideas i have so please give me some input. on how the frame is shaping up so far.

agent of orange screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 05:25 AM
Old 06-27-2014, 05:39 AM   #12
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

the little passenger

and a helper too

i let her play with my second gun when she was visiting me in the shed, it isnt connected to a welder.

oh the welder is only a mig pak 140 and has been taking some time getting used to but by the end i may not have to grind all the welds to make them look pretty.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

Wow about a hundred views since i posted the pictures of what I built so far.. My wife thinks your all to smart to disagree with her. Guess some of you been married longer than us and know better not to disagree with ones wife lol.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
mike in idaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent of orange View Post

found these pictures of a home made subframe on a virago and the front section is what i would like to build. but have also thought of running a tube aft to the spot where the foot peg unit mounts to the engine.
That's my bike in the picture, the reason I picked that spot for the rear mount was because it was a lot stronger than the rear footpeg mount, the three bolts are threaded right into the strongest part of the frame/crankcase assembly. The rear foot peg bolts to an aluminum casting, pretty stout in the vertical plane but I wondered about side thrust against it. As it turned out the rear mount attached a little farther forward on the sidecar frame than I liked, hence the fifth attachment point bolted to the rear footpeg(square tube runs underneath the hack frame). I didn't like the idea of using the front peg bolts for a mount, hard to make it look decent, the studs are too short anyway. If I were to do it again I would still mount a triangular plate to those bolts and use it to tie into a subframe tube that extends to the rear mount.
'72 Commando 750
My company car is a Kenworth
mike in idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
agent of orange OP
Adventurer

Mike thankyou for the reply. How do you find the virago for a tug? It has been a slow build for me as I have been replacing the carpet in the house and need to replace the siding to. The wife thinks if she gets to even ride it enough to be confident to put the little one in it for 1 ride it will be a success for this year.