User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,241
Paslode type framing nailers

I'm going to build a garage this spring at a remote location and I'd like to use a Paslode or Paslode type framing nailer (fueled type) Is Paslode the only choice? Are they the best choice? What do I need to know? I'd love to be able to use the same device for framing, sheathing, roofing, etc (if possible)

School me!

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
ig_88e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
There are also battery powered framers now:
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dcn690m1.aspx

Unfortunately I can't tell you personal experiences with either, I have a Porter Cable pneumatic.

A carpenter friend loves is Paslode finish nailer, but says the Paslode fuel cell framer doesn't cut it, and he switched to pneumatic.

Maybe get a generator that can run a compressor. You're going to want a nice generator anyway....
ig_88e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig_88e View Post
There are also battery powered framers now:
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dcn690m1.aspx

Unfortunately I can't tell you personal experiences with either, I have a Porter Cable pneumatic.

A carpenter friend loves is Paslode finish nailer, but says the Paslode fuel cell framer doesn't cut it, and he switched to pneumatic.

Maybe get a generator that can run a compressor. You're going to want a nice generator anyway....
I have a gennie, compressor and pneumatic framers, roofers, finish nailers, etc.. I was hoping for a good excuse to buy a new toy...errrrr important tool.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,144
The Paslode is awesome - built my cabin in VT with one. So nice doing ground work or running up and down ladders with no air hose. The paslode framing nailer shot framing spikes and ring shanks for flooring/sheathing.

SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

That Dewalt looks great for not needing any fuel, but man...they're pricey!

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,488
15 years ago we used a Paslode framing gun when we built our log home here in New Hampshire- obviously using it for the roof trusses and sheathing, floor joists and interior framing.

Worked GREAT! Still have it, although only use it sporadically.

As was already mentioned, not pulling an airhose behind you is a big plus.

I would do it again if I was building another home.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Ge-Mini-gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Sorry for the HI-jack...how long do the fuel cells last when not in use? Say you build a garage/shed then don't use it for the next year...will the fuel cell need to be replaced?

Switching to DirectTV - use this 52824519
Ge-Mini-gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge-Mini-gun View Post
Sorry for the HI-jack...how long do the fuel cells last when not in use? Say you build a garage/shed then don't use it for the next year...will the fuel cell need to be replaced?
I have no idea, I borrowed the one I used. Used it hard for a month then returned it - I really only remember picking up a couple of extra fuel packs for our whole (small) project.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:55 PM   #9
muddywater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
The fuel cells have a limited shelf life. Date is on the bottom, and they often go bad before the date.
Seems like being exposed to cold temperature shortens shelf life also.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:43 AM   #10
Bun-bun
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge-Mini-gun View Post
About 4-5 months if it was full when you stored it.
We have two of the fuel cylinder type framing nailers, and love them, but the cylinders aren't exactly wallet friendly. Also, changing cylinders on a ladder 3 stories up is not the most fun I ever had. We got a DeWalt battery powered nailer about 7-8 months ago, and I like it better. No air hoses like the fuelies, but it's much easier to replace a battery than a fuel cell, and the battery (20v) is interchangeable with other DeWalt 20v tools. The one disadvantage I've seen so far is that it tends to get weak when the battery is low, and only drive half a nail. With the fuelies, they nail full power until the last shot or two. If I didn't already have the fuelies, I'd just buy the battery powered at this point.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #11
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,358
I'm sure liking my battery Dewalts for things that aren't worth setting up a compressor and I like the versatility of the batteries. Haven't tried the framer but the finish nailer and brad nailer are winners if not a bit bulky.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #12
burnham
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I have both, an older Paslode framer and a new Dewalt framer. The Paslode works well, but the foot is kinda big and clumsy - not like a regular framing gun and it can be a bitch if you trying to toe-nail or get into a tight area. The Dewalt is better in that regard, but is a little bigger/heavier, and it sucks. Don't buy the Dewalt. It loves to jam nails, and when it does they're a bitch to get out of the gun. It works pretty well in new wood, but if you hit a knot it will either bend the nail or jam up.
burnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #13
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 753
Carpenter here..

I have them all.. My paslode gas gets some use but mostly for small jobs like blocking for towel bars and plumbing fixtures.
I used to use it more when small compressors sucked and hoses were 3/8inch gas station type things.
It works well but there are a lot of things that can go wrong with it, Gas cartridge, battery, gun, charger. Everything needs to be ok or you are sol.
now small compressors are 150 lb capable and hoses are a tidy 1/4".
It's better for me these days to use a paslode air stick framer. it is far superior to the gas version. Faster, stronger when nailing off sheets and LVL stock, (my gas gun just doesn't have the power for fast repetition or composite materials). and it has a better foot system for toeing.

The gas gun still has a place on the jobsite but for the cost .. I would easily do without it. When it finally dies I won't replace it.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #14
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

I suppose I should have added that I also bought a traditional Dewalt pneumatic framing nailer for my next project(s).
Old 01-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #15
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere I think running a gennie and a compressor is my best bet. I'll save my money for some other tool I simply must have.

Thanks

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: