User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
shakeybone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Stick for a first car?

Shopping for a cheap used first car for my daughter and finding a lot of standard transmissions. At first I didn't think it would be a good idea but now I don't know. In the price range I am looking the cars have some miles, 100-200k, and I am thinking that the auto trans would be the week link where a standard would be more trouble free.
She is open to the idea. She is quite bright and I think she could learn to drive a standard without a lot of effort, I would not have considered it for her older sister, but I wonder if learning to drive is "hard enough" without another thing to learn. She has driven my 5 speed with a clutch ATV around the yard.
We live at 1018' elevation, the highest point in our town is 1300', on top of a small mountain, Mount Misery. I have some concerns about winter driving.
My first car, a long time ago, was a standard and I think it is something everyone should know how to do.
So what is the ADV opinion?
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,485
Her friends won't be able to drive her car if it has a stick. Do it.

Edit: and it'll be lots harder for her to try to text and drive, so she'll be less likely to do that, too.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,460
I prefer a stick in the winter, makes rocking the car back and forth easier should she get into a situation in deeper snow and be stuck.

Agreed on the text and drive, especially in town.

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
My first car was a stick (had never driven one before) and I've never made the switch to an auto. When I bought my wife a car I talked her into a manual as well and she picked it up fairly quickly. I think it's a good idea if your daughter is reasonably coordinated. It tends to prevent much cell activity while driving, too, which I'd see as a plus.
32x20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,758
I would say that a person not coordinated enough to drive a manual transmission is not coordinated enough to be driving.

Teach her in a big empty parking lot. That's how all three of my kids, including my daughter, learned to drive.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,618
With that many miles... A s long as the clutch is good or cheap enough to put a new one in... It is a great idea. I also grew up with standard tranny cars/trruck. Just make sure she learns the clutch well and no leaving the foot on the clutch pedal between shifts!
I'd worry more about her texting while driving than shifting. Heck, maybe having to shift will stop her from texting and killing.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #7
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeybone View Post
Shopping for a cheap used first car for my daughter and finding a lot of standard transmissions. At first I didn't think it would be a good idea but now I don't know. In the price range I am looking the cars have some miles, 100-200k, and I am thinking that the auto trans would be the week link where a standard would be more trouble free.
She is open to the idea. She is quite bright and I think she could learn to drive a standard without a lot of effort, I would not have considered it for her older sister, but I wonder if learning to drive is "hard enough" without another thing to learn. She has driven my 5 speed with a clutch ATV around the yard.
We live at 1018' elevation, the highest point in our town is 1300', on top of a small mountain, Mount Misery. I have some concerns about winter driving.
My first car, a long time ago, was a standard and I think it is something everyone should know how to do.
I think it gives alot better control over the car, which is useful.

and it's not that hard to learn.

Does she know how to ride a motorcycle? I learnt to shift a manual transmission while *test driving* my first car, with the owner next to me. Since I knew how to shift on a motorcycle, it was a trivial transition to operate the clutch with my foot instead of my hand.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Do it...one more person who can drive a stick is one more hope for an engaged driver on the road.

And...these days, it's a built in theft deterrent.

The shortest distance between two points....is not the point.
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
shakeybone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I think it gives alot better control over the car, which is useful.

and it's not that hard to learn.

Does she know how to ride a motorcycle? I learnt to shift a manual transmission while *test driving* my first car, with the owner next to me. Since I knew how to shift on a motorcycle, it was a trivial transition to operate the clutch with my foot instead of my hand.
The only motorcycle she has driven was a XR50 without a clutch but she could shift it fine. She has ridden my ATV which has a 5 speed and clutch like a motorcycle.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #10
shakeybone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Her friends won't be able to drive her car if it has a stick. Do it.

Edit: and it'll be lots harder for her to try to text and drive, so she'll be less likely to do that, too.
Never thought about texting, might be a good idea.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
In addition to the positive things already said about learning/driving a stick shift (guess there are not many column shifts anymore), I feel that having to pay more attention to what the car is 'doing' keeps a driver more connected to the task at hand. Not sure that I can explain it well but - those drivers we all see in traffic who hammer the accelerator as soon as there is an opening then need to slam the brake to avoid everyone who wasn't going as fast as they got themselves going could not do that without an automatic. Driving the standard requires that you think about how fast you are traveling and which gear you are/should be in. There may be a little increase in distraction at first with having to think about how to start and when to shift but being more connected to the driving process can't be a bad thing.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #12
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,459
Driving a manual now, I'll agree with pretty much all of the above.

While its certainly easier to learn on an auto, there're some bad habits that are learned at the same time.

M
Old 07-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #13
skortch
mmm... curvy

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
She has ridden my ATV which has a 5 speed and clutch like a motorcycle.
That's a good start, she should understand the concept of coordinating the clutch with the accelerator, friction point, etc. She just needs to learn the new control placement in the car, shouldn't be too difficult.

Manuals are way more fun than automatics.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,145
We have four cars in the family, three sticks, the Lexus...well, just not done.

About 10 years ago I got my Subi, used and the dealer told me that only 1 in 10 back then was delivered with a stick, seems to me to be a dying, but useful skill.

I live in snow country and I like knowing what gear the car will be in when I foot it, and that if I want it to lug, it will, or if I want high rpms, it's not going to decide to shift on me.

In fairness, seems like automatic transmissions are pretty reliable....

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #15
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,348
Get the standard!

Quote:
20 years ago when I was 16 and in high school most of us had Standards as first cars. I don't see why it should be any different today. I grew up in Rural Western Massachusetts so the roads and conditions are pretty close to where you live.

My first driving lesson on the street was in my Mother's standard shift VW it took a minute to figure out how to start off on hills but after that driving stick was 2nd nature. I think riding bikes and ATVs helped me adapt pretty quick, but it's not like driving stick is rocket science...

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: