User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
ehatcher OP
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,205
What the heck is it about old tools?

Been meaning to get a sandblast cabinet for a long time, looked at many new ones and then I saw this thing. It was love at first sight. I was thrilled by this rusty old POS with cracked air hoses, paint flaking off, dried up gaskets, fogged out glass, rotted gloves, stuck foot valve and riveted on legs.

Long story short, the guy gave it to me when I asked about it.

By the time I finished cleaning this thing up and buying parts for it I could have bought a ne.........awww, what the hell, the things we do for love

BTW what should I use for media? Just cleaning up rusty old parts etc...

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
Probably because after replacing those parts, it will last a lot longer than the new crap that's out today.

Nobody wants to pay for quality anymore! Cheaper is better, even if over the long run you spend more constantly replacing the unrepairable cheap shit and waste resources!

Anyway, nice cabinet. Wanna sandblast my wheels?
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,493
I'm with ya. I have a 1953 South Bend Light Ten 48" lathe. I friggin' LOVE this thing. I use it all the time.

I traded a pistol for it.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatcher View Post
Been meaning to get a sandblast cabinet for a long time, looked at many new ones and then I saw this thing. It was love at first sight. I was thrilled by this rusty old POS with cracked air hoses, paint flaking off, dried up gaskets, fogged out glass, rotted gloves, stuck foot valve and riveted on legs.

Long story short, the guy gave it to me when I asked about it.

By the time I finished cleaning this thing up and buying parts for it I could have bought a ne.........awww, what the hell, the things we do for love

BTW what should I use for media? Just cleaning up rusty old parts etc...

Eric
Sweet! I'm in the market for a blast cabinet myself. No funds for it, no room for it, but I NEED one. And would love to find one with some history to it.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother in law, his wife, and my wife. Somehow the topic of putting wood utensils in the dishwasher came up (I know, we're really exciting people).

I stated that is not a good idea because wood, water and heat don't mix, will ruin a perfectly good wood utensil (a large serving spoon).

Brother in law, his wife, and my wife looked at me like I had two heads. Brother in law stated "So what? It costs like $2 to replace. Who cares?"

I have to admit, he had me there, but that was not the point.

One of my prized possessions is an old, very well used splitting maul that I picked up at a garage sale. Every time I use I wonder who put all the hours of work into it to get it in its current state, must have been a hard working son of a bitch. Love old tools.

'06 Husqvarna WR125

woodsrider-boyd screwed with this post 10-13-2014 at 11:19 PM
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
ehatcher OP
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider-boyd View Post
.......No funds for it, no room for it, but I NEED one.....
Man, do I know that feeling

There is something that sort of "feels right" about old tools. I have a little hand crank drill hanging above my workbench. I remember seeing my dad use a similar hand drill back in the 60s. Seems like just having it hang there makes my shop seem more like a shop...

I have lots of power drills: two pneumatics, three electrics, four battery powered...but now and again I use that thing and it always make me smile.
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Understood!

Among the tools my dad gave me when I first got a house ("Here, you're going to need these!"), was an old steel framing square. It probably came out of my Great Aunt's barn (last man that lived there to 'accumulate' tools got killed in the '38 hurricane). It took a while to apreciate that while it did keep rusting it was actually made with tapered 'arms' so that it is twice as thick at the angle point as on the ends. This thing did not get stamped out of a piece of sheet metal and it does not lose it's 90 degree angle if it gets dropped. If I had a dollar for every time I have taken it to help someone with their project and they said "let me buy you a new one", I'd have a lot more than a framing square but I just like working with this one. No doubt, when I am gone someone will toss the 'rusty junk' into a dumpster.
I do keep thinking about 'refinishing' it. Anyone ever sand down the surface rust (the numbers are all pressed it and would stay 'rusty' for better contrast) and coat one with some type of clear? It would be a lot easier to read when the light isn't great (which is becoming a lot more often).

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatcher View Post
Man, do I know that feeling

There is something that sort of "feels right" about old tools. I have a little hand crank drill hanging above my workbench. I remember seeing my dad use a similar hand drill back in the 60s. Seems like just having it hang there makes my shop seem more like a shop...

I have lots of power drills: two pneumatics, three electrics, four battery powered...but now and again I use that thing and it always make me smile.

Yeah, my dad had quite a collection of older hand tools, I learned the basics working with a hand drill and for larger holes a bit brace. When he passed my youngest brother wanted the house so we left all the tools there (wood shop in the basement, auto shop in the garage). A couple of years later he and his wife decided that they'd rather move to a condo. Everything was thrown out or sold before my other brother or I knew about him moving, all lost!
When I started working construction/carpentry (every firefighter needs a part time job), I always had a canvas bag with 'odd' hand tools nearby. Everyone else had just power tools but it was surprising (to them) how often a hand plane or draw knife would quickly solve a problem.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,411
I'm a huge fan of older tools especially woodworking equipment. Such a joy to use tools that have been around for a 100 years. My favorite was a 1908 American woodworking machinery 16" pattern makers jointer. Never should have sold it.

Anyways I have had the best luck with crushed glass in the blast cabinet. I used to use black beauty but that stuff doesn't last. Glass is tough. More expensive but lasts much longer

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
My dad did a lot of woodworking after he retired. He had lost his arm over 50 years ago, long before I was born. He enjoyed the challenge of figuring out how to do things with one arm.

After mom died a few years ago, he had a couple of close calls with power tools in the basement. Now living alone, he realized if anything happened to his remaining hand/arm, he was pretty much screwed.

He sold off the vast majority of his power tools but still has lots of hand tools remaining..some he got from his father and my mom's father. Now he's talking about selling the house and I might need to check if he needs me to 'hang on to for safekeeping' some of his vintage tools...

Being the only male offspring to a patriarchal father does have advantages...
I have the Fender Telecaster he made about 10-12 years ago and I have my eye on the purpleheart banjo, too

Mrs Maritimer on packing lunches: "Don't forget the pepper grinder. Just because we are eating cottage cheese at work, doesn't mean we need to be heathens about it."
Maritimer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,282
I love old tools. When ever the wife drags me antiquing, I look for the junkiest place and get lost. Between her late grandfather and late step dad, I have quite a collection of old tools, most I still use myself.

Still have shop art.

Some I referb and put back to work.

Some ain't good for much but still cool.

Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

I have this thing sitting under a bench. Someone pilfered the quick change leavers. I found them on line but by the I get all i need to put it back together, I could buy a decent lathe.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Anybody ID this tool?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 2,025
There's a used tool store near me, which has tons of neat old tools of every variety. I walked in today and saw this:

It's an Atlas Shaper, made in Kalamazoo, Mi. I had no idea they made something like this-small, and running on 110v. I'd love to bring it home to my garage, but I'm not sure what I might use it for (I was a Diemaker once, and ran a full-sized Shaper when I was an apprentice).
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #14
mudgepondexpress
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
There's a used tool store near me, which has tons of neat old tools of every variety. I walked in today and saw this:

It's an Atlas Shaper, made in Kalamazoo, Mi. I had no idea they made something like this-small, and running on 110v. I'd love to bring it home to my garage, but I'm not sure what I might use it for (I was a Diemaker once, and ran a full-sized Shaper when I was an apprentice).
Been looking for one of those in the northwest for a few years. Just out of curiosity how much were they asking? Sure would look nice next to my Atlas 10" lathe.
mudgepondexpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #15
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Among the tools my dad gave me when I first got a house ("Here, you're going to need these!"), was an old steel framing square. It probably came out of my Great Aunt's barn (last man that lived there to 'accumulate' tools got killed in the '38 hurricane). It took a while to apreciate that while it did keep rusting it was actually made with tapered 'arms' so that it is twice as thick at the angle point as on the ends. This thing did not get stamped out of a piece of sheet metal and it does not lose it's 90 degree angle if it gets dropped. If I had a dollar for every time I have taken it to help someone with their project and they said "let me buy you a new one", I'd have a lot more than a framing square but I just like working with this one. No doubt, when I am gone someone will toss the 'rusty junk' into a dumpster.
I do keep thinking about 'refinishing' it. Anyone ever sand down the surface rust (the numbers are all pressed it and would stay 'rusty' for better contrast) and coat one with some type of clear? It would be a lot easier to read when the light isn't great (which is becoming a lot more often).

Bruce
You need electolysis.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: