Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 94 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #1531
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatRider13 View Post
I just found this section of ADV lots of cool stuff!!! I just posted this pic in the Vw thread but thought it also to belong here. MY most Favorite Car ever!

My dad has a 1965 porsche 356sc that he bought in his 20s for really cheap. drove it for a long time and parked it around the time i was born (mid 80s) Finally about 5 years he took it out to restore it. He did alot of metal work and also added an unusual power plant... a vw 1.6TD. he did an amazing job, I cant believe the thing he can accomplish. any ways here are the pics and a link if you want to read up more.
Where's the radiator?

Did he have to reverse the rotation of the engine to make it work in that configuration?

A high-school buddy's dad always talked about putting a Rabbit diesel engine in a Scirocco to make his ideal commuter car. Your dad's made me think of that one.

Cool!

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #1532
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer: 335
He spent alot time, trial and error, trying set up the cooling situation. He originally had a large radiator in the engine bay and was trying out different combination of fans and bottom air scoops. This didnt work and might have been part of the reason for the first engine grenade. what he finally ended up doing, which has worked well for the couple of thousand miles he has put on across country, is two honda v-twin radiators from i think a magna or shadow not sure. he placed them in line behind where the front turn signals are. He is very pleased with this set up and I think it cost him like $50 hahaha.

Its funny you mention a scirocco, I have a black 87 16v scirocco in my dads shed awaiting a 1.6td motor. I have nearly everything I need except a good turbo. deciding whether i want to manual VNT like he did or just use a normal turbo. scirocco 16v was my first car all through high school, I love those things!

Oh and I dont think there was any need to reverse the engine direction. He got an adapter plate for the tranny and flywheel from a company called Kennedy. Alot of guys with Westys and buses put watercooled engines in and this is the comapny they get their adapters from. He actually had a specail tranny made for it from Rancho , an aircooled specialty shop. He calculated all the gearing he wanted to optimize fuel mileage. I think at 2500rpm in 4th he is going like 70mph, not positive on that but it has a ridiculously tall 4th.
RiverRatRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #1533
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,129
Quote:
He spent alot time, trial and error, trying set up the cooling situation. He originally had a large radiator in the engine bay and was trying out different combination of fans and bottom air scoops. This didnt work and might have been part of the reason for the first engine grenade. what he finally ended up doing, which has worked well for the couple of thousand miles he has put on across country, is two honda v-twin radiators from i think a magna or shadow not sure. he placed them in line behind where the front turn signals are. He is very pleased with this set up and I think it cost him like $50 hahaha.

Its funny you mention a scirocco, I have a black 87 16v scirocco in my dads shed awaiting a 1.6td motor. I have nearly everything I need except a good turbo. deciding whether i want to manual VNT like he did or just use a normal turbo. scirocco 16v was my first car all through high school, I love those things!

Oh and I dont think there was any need to reverse the engine direction. He got an adapter plate for the tranny and flywheel from a company called Kennedy. Alot of guys with Westys and buses put watercooled engines in and this is the comapny they get their adapters from. He actually had a specail tranny made for it from Rancho , an aircooled specialty shop. He calculated all the gearing he wanted to optimize fuel mileage. I think at 2500rpm in 4th he is going like 70mph, not positive on that but it has a ridiculously tall 4th.
It probably doesn't need much of a radiator because I would think with a car that light & slippery that engine is just loafing most of the time.

Thanks for the info.

That really is a nicely-done example of thinking outside the box.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #1534
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,974
Quote:

That's one of the coolest things I've seen. For years I've been wanting to get an old volvo p1800 and swap out the engine with a volkswagen turbo diesel, probably the 1.9. That 356 is lighter and even cooler, but I'm sure the air cooled to water cooled swap made things a bit trickier.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #1535
Mikelly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Well this is my one, and only, Porsche...

This car is faster than anything I've previously owned. We've done data logging on it and the car runs 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, and it runs 0-100-0 in less than 12 seconds. The car has outrun more than one liter class sport bike. It's been upgraded in every area, including brakes, suspension, and drivetrain...

I do most of my own work, and of all the cars I've owned, this Porsche 996TT is the most logically built and easy to work on cars I've ever turned a wrench on. It's actually cheaper to maintain than my daily driver E36.

Mike
Old 03-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #1536
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Old 03-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #1537
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

First off I love P1800!!!!!! I say do it! The cooling was actually a big issue, It was really hard on the engine when he had the radiator in the back, lots of over heating issues. The twin motorcycle radiators in the front made all the difference in the world! and let me tell you its an amazing thing being in an originally aircooled vehicle and actually having heat!!!!!! he is amazed, especially since on his trip there has been a few instances like at the grand canyon a few days ago when it was way below freezing!

I am super proud of him and the best part is he Loves the car!!!! everytime he gets in the thing he has the biggest shit eatin grin on his face!

He has done a few mileage competitions (got 73 MPG at the green grand prix!) and has a few more planned, even one near me in Mass I believe where he asked me to be a Co-Driver! usually he is in a class by himself haha bc the car doesnt fit in any class hahah
http://www.greengrandprix.com/index.htm

RiverRatRider13 screwed with this post 03-02-2011 at 05:19 PM
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #1538
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Mine 74 Carrera 2.7
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #1539
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbirdrs View Post
Mine 74 Carrera 2.7
nice. I love the lines of the classic 911.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #1540
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 752
Wow. How did I miss this thread?

My other sickness besides Guzzi's is Porsche's.

Here's my 1976 911S. Fully restored from the pan up. Original special order factory color. Started life with about 170 hp. out of the 2.7, Some work later ended with 265+ still with the same 2.7. We pretty extensively autocrossed it and had a lot of fun with it.

Should never have gotten rid of it.

After years of slagging off the Boxsters, finally drove one and loved it, so we went out and picked up this one. Perhaps the most fun car I have ever driven. Not the brutality of the 911, but handles like a laser and performs pretty well overall. A true real world slotcar.

1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #1541
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post

Absolutely love that color.

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #1542
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

It was called Ice Green Metallic.

It was a true love or hate color. Most people really liked it, but those that didn't really hated it.
IBA # 35648
Old 03-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #1543
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

I really love the early 911, my unlce has a Euro spec 71 911s with the crazy one back race tranny and factory roll bar. but they are getting real pricey now. I think I will get an 80s SC when I have some money and im older and wiser hahaha, plus i heard they were galvanized and therefore wont rust?? this true?
Me in the 911S at 17

My uncle also has a 79 930... WOW scary car. First time I drove by myself I was 17 (what was he thinking) and i think I wet myself. when the turbo kicks in(yet to drive it enough to figure out how to tell when that happens!) all you see are those two head light bumps rise into the air, and you sure as hell better be pointed in the right direction! The wastegate exhaust has scrapes on it from touchin pavement when you light it off! he says he wants to sell it but he never does, I think he is just waiting for me to have enough money to buy it from him, or thats what i tell my self hahaha
Not the exact car but same color and everything
Old 03-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #1544
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by scodill View Post
nice. I love the lines of the classic 911.
thanks! I add some original CTR bumpers and side rockers also I put the Rims from my old Boxster S but I keep all the original parts for swap them to original condition.
also have the Recaro PP
That is why my nickname is Yellowbird (Ruf CTR) RS from the race ready street carreras

Quote:
I think I will get an 80s SC when I have some money and im older and wiser hahaha, plus i heard they were galvanized and therefore wont rust?? this true?
Me in the 911S at 17

you are right all the SC 79 & up have a galvanized body, when I restore mine I change almost all the lower pans then a good metal rust preparation before the paint. all the new parts came galvanized from factory.

I spend a lot of cash on the body/rust restoration believe me is not as easy as TV shows to get rip of rust and restore a car for your self.

Now things in Mexico are a little scary so my 911 is collecting dust on my garage beside the other toys
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #1545
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

I think 75 or 76 was the first year for galvy. My 76 911S was galvanized when I stripped it all down for the restoration.
IBA # 35648

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: