Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.44 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #211
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 21,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood

where did ya put him?
He was on mom's lap. Back then it was legal.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #212
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,023
I saw this going down the road this weekend. Not my pic, found it on the net.

Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #213
yazhound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
the price for clean 912 has gone through the roof in the last ten years. they used to be poor mans 911's but they made so few of them that they are now a sought after and worth it.
It is a one of these days project. Everything on it is still original except newer seals all around and no rust : ) oh, and no smog junk either. Since i live in GA where I even run the AC in what fews days of winter we have, I haven't been quick to begin work on the 912 (no ac...but it does have marvelous vent windows ) What I do not have right now is time. It is either work on the car, or ride motorcycles.

What I would like to do is keep it as stock as possible, with the exception of putting Webers in place of the solex carbs that are on it now. It really was a fun car to drive. No speed demon, but it handles well and brings a nice big smile to my face.

btw, a friend is searching for a 930 in good shape to be driven and not stored. He had a pristine '86 that he was reluctant to drive so as not to muck it up to the point where he ended up selling it. He is now looking for one in less pristine shape so he won't feel bad driving it. Either late 70's or from '85 on, no gray market stuff. Thanks if anyone has any suggestions on this.

OH yeah, also, if anyone has a good parts source for the 912 I would be obliged. Cheers, yaz
yazhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #214
yazhound
Gnarly Adventurer

And What A Body Style Too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag
I have a low-mileage Guards Red '82 911SC. Man what a car. Not a lot of horsepower, especially compared to what's available today, but you know you're driving a car, and not separated from the road by power-this and power-that. Driving that car is an experience.
Just a great looking car. Before wind-tunnel and too much gov't saftey (some but really well done incorporating into the body)
Old 10-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #215
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirahna

That's just a shame! Should be in the "Stupid shit people do to nice cars" thread.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #216
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazhound
btw, a friend is searching for a 930 in good shape to be driven and not stored. He had a pristine '86 that he was reluctant to drive so as not to muck it up to the point where he ended up selling it. He is now looking for one in less pristine shape so he won't feel bad driving it. Either late 70's or from '85 on, no gray market stuff. Thanks if anyone has any suggestions on this.
Pelican Parts Porsche's for sale

Quote:
OH yeah, also, if anyone has a good parts source for the 912 I would be obliged. Cheers, yaz
Pelican Parts Used 911/912 parts for sale

Pelican Parts new 912 parts for sale
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #217
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,565
that had to hurt

Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #218
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee
that had to hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki

Richard van Frankenberg - He took part in many 24 Hours of Le Mans in the 1950s, as well as in races at Mille Miglia, Montlhery, Monza and Nürburgring, often with a Porsche 550, the type of car he became famous for, when crashing over the banking of the AVUS in Berlin. The Porsche slid over the top and Frankenberg was thrown out, which was caught on photos like this one. He survived with minor injuries.
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #219
rednas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_There
I saw this going down the road this weekend. Not my pic, found it on the net.

x2
rednas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #220
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
x2

He was near the Brainerd International Raceway(BIR) so I wouldn't be surprised if the trailer was for track tires and such. Or maybe a place to sleep.
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #221
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,217
Quote:
What I would like to do is keep it as stock as possible, with the exception of putting Webers in place of the solex carbs that are on it now.
anyone has a good parts source for the 912 I would be obliged. Cheers, yaz
Why? I've heard the solex carbs are better for everyday driving and you can get them rebuilt for a lot less than buying a new pair of webers. Plus your stock air filters will still work.

I guy named Klaus rebuilt mine. Drilled all the plugs out and cleaned all the passageways. Re-shimmed the throttle shaft and flow tested it. IIRC, $800 for the pair. IMO, better than new when I got them back.

If you're interested, I have a box of powder-coated tin. When I bought mine back in '90, it had a blown motor. I bought a motor from a friend and I ended up with doubles for a lot of stuff. The most significant parts are a set of oil-bath air filters. I could have my son take some pics.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:09 AM   #222
dagwood
Idiot Royalty.

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
x2

looks a little tongue heavy. prolly tows like Shit.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #223
yazhound
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
Why? I've heard the solex carbs are better for everyday driving and you can get them rebuilt for a lot less than buying a new pair of webers. Plus your stock air filters will still work.

I guy named Klaus rebuilt mine. Drilled all the plugs out and cleaned all the passageways. Re-shimmed the throttle shaft and flow tested it. IIRC, $800 for the pair. IMO, better than new when I got them back.

If you're interested, I have a box of powder-coated tin. When I bought mine back in '90, it had a blown motor. I bought a motor from a friend and I ended up with doubles for a lot of stuff. The most significant parts are a set of oil-bath air filters. I could have my son take some pics.
That would be great. I really need to get off my ass and start on it. Way to much dust covering it right now.

Where do you live? Perhaps Klaus is nearby?

btw - like the quotes in your sig line!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #224
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,217
Quote:
That would be great. I really need to get off my ass and start on it. Way to much dust covering it right now.

Where do you live? Perhaps Klaus is nearby?

btw - like the quotes in your sig line!
I live in Las Vegas, but the guy who rebuilt the carbs was in the Bay Area. The parts I spoke of are in a storage unit in SLC.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #225
pop-a-wheelie
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!

Oddometer: 526
Any opinions (stupid question...) on an '89 964 C4? I am aboot to pick one up... (1 owner 50k miles) I have owned a '85 930 and a '87 911 in the past; anything I should be aware of?
pop-a-wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: