Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.30 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #331
Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecosBill

Personally I don't like front engine cars for the same reason you like them. It's too easy to make them go fast. It's too easy to get comfortable. It's too easy to forget what you're supposed to be experiencing...
Again, can't argue with this because it is so much a personal thing. I get off on precision, advancement, technology, refinement. You seem to get off on taking a car that is quirky and mastering it to go fast. Like I said, cant argue with that.

Compared to say a Mazda, I do think the 944, especially mine, has a lot of soul and character. But it took quite a bit of time and effort to get there. Lots of suspension work, mild massaging of the motor, solid mountings, etc. Damn thing feels every inch of the road and communicates that right to me. I even have a very performance oriented alignment on it that makes it a bit of a nervous girl trying to go fast in a straight line. She is low enough to shave the painted lines from the road as well. I have had more Porsche owners comment on how it sounds (when passing them ) as well. Even one of the national PCA board members commented that it sounded pure evil at a recent hill climb (in a good way).

If a 1996-1997 911 C4S in Ocean Blue ever showed up in my garage, I would not complain though. But that turbo kitted 968 is making me all wet now thinking about it.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #332
Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
Quick sasquatch hide it hide it!

Ugly duckling!

Kidding, I've always liked them, almost bought one for my first car... till I opened both doors and noticed they didn't close well. That car was on its way out.

Is yours a tailshift or a sideshift?
Side shift. What makes my 914 so unique is that it is a factory original, unrestored, un-molested, excellent shape, no rust, car. The original interior is even in great shape. Hell, the engine has never been out of the car and does not leak a drop of oil. I guess I better make sure there is some in there, eh?

If all the above was not true, I would replace the 1.8 with a monster motor in a flash. The 1.8 is surprisingly decent, but lacks in any real power. But the car is so original with only 102k miles on it, that I dont dare change anything. She is my retirement fund.

To identify with pecosbill though, the damn thing is a hoot to drive. Not much power, low, rough, loud, no power steering, no power brakes, no power windows or door locks, and I giggle each time I drive her through the mountains.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #333
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
Then you'd like my 'other' Porsche:

And my wife, who is in it, is quirky as well.

Like a go-kart for adults, what's not to love.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

Save $5 when you open your new SmugMug account, use coupon number: K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #334
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Quote:
Again, can't argue with this because it is so much a personal thing. I get off on precision, advancement, technology, refinement. You seem to get off on taking a car that is quirky and mastering it to go fast. Like I said, cant argue with that.

Compared to say a Mazda, I do think the 944, especially mine, has a lot of soul and character. But it took quite a bit of time and effort to get there. Lots of suspension work, mild massaging of the motor, solid mountings, etc. Damn thing feels every inch of the road and communicates that right to me. I even have a very performance oriented alignment on it that makes it a bit of a nervous girl trying to go fast in a straight line. She is low enough to shave the painted lines from the road as well. I have had more Porsche owners comment on how it sounds (when passing them ) as well. Even one of the national PCA board members commented that it sounded pure evil at a recent hill climb (in a good way).

If a 1996-1997 911 C4S in Ocean Blue ever showed up in my garage, I would not complain though. But that turbo kitted 968 is making me all wet now thinking about it.

as much as I love the 911, just like bikes, it's what stirs your passion that matters... even if it's a rainbow stickered Miata.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

Save $5 when you open your new SmugMug account, use coupon number: K0vxRpKbulMhM
Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #335
Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecosBill
Like a go-kart for adults, what's not to love.
My wife or the 914?

Yeah, a go-kart that I actually fit in (sort of).
Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #336
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Quote:
My wife or the 914?

Yeah, a go-kart that I actually fit in (sort of).
I'm sure your wife is fun too.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #337
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,542
How did our Porsche thread turn into a discussion about a Volkswagen and a Supra in jackboots? More 911s please~

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #338
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
How did our Porsche thread turn into a discussion about a Volkswagen and a Supra in jackboots? More 911s please~
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #339
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Old 10-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #340
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,542
Thank you sir- you even chose the right era. Most appreciated.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #341
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Here is something you don't see everyday.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #342
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #343
Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

It's late, I am getting goofy, couldn't help it.

Have fun guys.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #344
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

It's late, I am getting goofy, couldn't help it.

Have fun guys.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #345
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,729
I need to find a 911 with a blown engine.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: