ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 110 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #841
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 33,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
My Ex (well, seperated... ) spouse has one of those. She bought it new in 1984 the first time we seperated. I bought a Corvette at the same time . She has it in storage over the winter right now. The car is almost showroom condition. It has a tick under 70k miles on it. She drives it enough during the year to keep it running. Had to replace lots of the rubber parts, wiring harnesses and such. Its not worth anything but she won't get rid of it.

We we got back together a couple years later. She took one drive in my Corvette and said it would be junk in a couple years...she was right.

Her 944 is exactly like yours but sort of a silver blue/gray color. Wheels are showing a little tarnishing of the clearcoate, the clear plastic rock protector sheets are showing some cracks and one small crack in the dash up by the windscreen. Carpets and floor mats don't show hardly any wear at all. Seat leather is perfect. I was never impressed with the car, but it handled well and had excellent fit and finish. Obviously its held up over time. My old Vette was pretty far gone by 50k miles. All its suspension parts got real loose and unless it was parked flat on the garage floor, you couldn't even get the top mounted. It was a real POS.
If it was an '84 Corvette, it was junk when you bought it.
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #842
Pantah
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
If it was an '84 Corvette, it was junk when you bought it.
Yep - White. Looked nice, but what a POS. Wasn't even that fast. Had that goofy manual tranny with the auto overdrive gizmo. Just a turd of a car. My ex likes to crap on me about that old Vette.

I had a 1963 Stingray when I was a kid. That wasn't a bad car. Decent suspension and pretty simple mechanically. I put bigger rubber on it and autocrossed it up until they pulled my DL. I got drafted about then so I didn't need a DL anymore.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #843
Puddleglum
Precious Snowflake
 
Puddleglum's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirahna
Great link. Thanks for posting. That was enjoyable reading.
__________________
"Bad planning is the mother of adventure." - Richard Grant
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #844
bostonsr
Just weight
 
bostonsr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NYCff
Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
My 87 944 is still placing well at car shows and has 187,000 miles on the odo. Runs flawless. Have not driven it much in the last few years. I should either sell it or drive it.
they end up costing less than buying cheaper cars and replacing...as long as you keep them long enough.

abe
__________________
NOW with ONLY 400 miles of actual street riding experience!!!!

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #845
Sasquatch
Banned
 
Sasquatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
they end up costing less than buying cheaper cars and replacing...as long as you keep them long enough.

abe
True. She has been wonderful to me. My problem is I have a horsepower lust. When I bought the 944 it was not that old and power wise, it held it's own among all but the faster v6 and all v8 cars on the road. Now, horsepower ratings have come up so far in modern cars a Honda Civic can waste me in a drag race. Now before you all scream and say the Porsche is not a drag car, I know this. I know how wonderful she is in the twisties where she is at home, but the horsepower is really lacking.

I dont know what I would replace her with. I have thought about many things. Buy a used up 944 Turbo roller, rebuild the engine/drivetrain into a 350+ hp beast and drop that into her since it would literally be a bolt in situation. Or buy a 968, then down the road throw a turbo or supercharger kit on it. There are options. It will be a couple more years yet though.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #846
sailwa66
Captain Cheap A**
 
sailwa66's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
My Ex (well, seperated... ) spouse has one of those. She bought it new in 1984 the first time we seperated. I bought a Corvette at the same time . She has it in storage over the winter right now. The car is almost showroom condition. It has a tick under 70k miles on it. She drives it enough during the year to keep it running. Had to replace lots of the rubber parts, wiring harnesses and such. Its not worth anything but she won't get rid of it.

We we got back together a couple years later. She took one drive in my Corvette and said it would be junk in a couple years...she was right.

Her 944 is exactly like yours but sort of a silver blue/gray color. Wheels are showing a little tarnishing of the clearcoate, the clear plastic rock protector sheets are showing some cracks and one small crack in the dash up by the windscreen. Carpets and floor mats don't show hardly any wear at all. Seat leather is perfect. I was never impressed with the car, but it handled well and had excellent fit and finish. Obviously its held up over time. My old Vette was pretty far gone by 50k miles. All its suspension parts got real loose and unless it was parked flat on the garage floor, you couldn't even get the top mounted. It was a real POS.
Yeah, the 944's hard bits are screwed together very well... it's all the little effin plastic bits and the early dash where Porsche tried to boost their margins But other than that, the interior is in fine shape, even the rare "Porsche" script sport seats.

It's showing around 90k now, and just put a new clutch in it last fall when the original did its token bushing failure. Popped the motor out, and did a top to bottom reseal at the same time, finding on out-of-phase balance shaft some previous nutter had done (one of them is supposed to 'look' 180 degrees out).

Early cookie cutter wheels are basically free, so last year I nabbed a set, blasted 'em, and had my powdercoater repro the black/alum finish. The factory paint still looks great too.... from 10 feet away

I love the balance of the car, and 25 years later, nothing I've yet driven has the steering feel. Good enough for my punk ass anyway................
__________________
"Why should I grow up? I don't like grown-ups."

Ducati Multistrada Adventure Gear: www.strada-avventurosa.com
sailwa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #847
pluric
Banned
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirahna
Smart man, money can't buy love.
More proof of your flawed theory....



May not be "True love" but do you think he really cares?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #848
CGH
Polluting the ether
 
CGH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary... between Heaven and Earth
Oddometer: 21,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric
More proof of your flawed theory....



May not be "True love" but do you think he really cares?
That's an old picture. Now that he's the F1 pariah, his arm-candy has changed...
















__________________
Third-rate poster.
CGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #849
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer
 
pirahna's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 17,647
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #850
pluric
Banned
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGH
That's an old picture. Now that he's the F1 pariah, his arm-candy has changed...


That's why guys created the phrase "Hit and run".

Kinda looks like one of those BMW ornaments going on in another thread.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #851
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler
 
Barnstormer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,269
Not sure if this got posted already, but I came across this cool old ad today:

Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #852
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum
 
dlearl476's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Upstate Manhattan
Oddometer: 23,271


My Uncle, RIP, was a lawyer for a lot of years here in Las Vegas. He once did a divorce for a pal who had bought one brand new and when his buddy's (much cheaper) Corvettes and Buicks continually blew his doors off, he shipped it down to Huffaker Engineering in California and they shoe-horned a Chrysler Hemi into it. The headers were actually welded in place, snaking in and out of the frame and bodywork.
My uncle got it in lieu of payment for the legal work and had it for about twenty-five years. (I still kick myself in the ass that I never asked him for it, he probably would have given it to me) It sat in storage form many years because it was too friggen hot to drive here in Las Vegas. My brother drove it a couple of times and sat it was a monster.

A few years before he died, a buddy convinced him to give it to a FoaF who restored it and put it in a museum somewhere. I didn't find out where before he died. If anyone sees it somewhere, I'd love to find it. IIRC, it was originally a metallic brown or gold.
__________________
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #853
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum
 
dlearl476's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Upstate Manhattan
Oddometer: 23,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric
Now you tell me.

Didn't plan on it being a winter driver. Good thing.

I ran my 968 off I-15 in about 2" snow once. Luckily, we stopped as soon as I hit the shoulder and, even luckier, were were only about 3 miles south of Cedar City. Bad News? It took about 2 hours (and a lot of planning) to make it out of the frozen parking lot in the morning.

Ironically, we were on our way to Orem to pick up our ML320. Haven't driven either Porsche in inclement weather since. (Although every year I'm tempted to mount a skinny-assed set of studded snows on the OEM Fuchs and take the 911 on a "Mini Monte Carlo Rally" though southern Utah.)

__________________
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #854
pluric
Banned
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476


My Uncle, RIP, was a lawyer for a lot of years here in Las Vegas. He once did a divorce for a pal who had bought one brand new and when his buddy's (much cheaper) Corvettes and Buicks continually blew his doors off, he shipped it down to Huffaker Engineering in California and they shoe-horned a Chrysler Hemi into it. The headers were actually welded in place, snaking in and out of the frame and bodywork.
My uncle got it in lieu of payment for the legal work and had it for about twenty-five years. (I still kick myself in the ass that I never asked him for it, he probably would have given it to me) It sat in storage form many years because it was too friggen hot to drive here in Las Vegas. My brother drove it a couple of times and sat it was a monster.

A few years before he died, a buddy convinced him to give it to a FoaF who restored it and put it in a museum somewhere. I didn't find out where before he died. If anyone sees it somewhere, I'd love to find it. IIRC, it was originally a metallic brown or gold.
I remember being very impressed with how his Gull Wing went. I thought
"Oh, some ole 50's sports car can't get out of it's own way" Wrong.
I was pretty hot barking the tires on a shift and had great top end.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #855
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer
 
pirahna's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 17,647
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014