Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
leonphelps OP
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer: 1,026
Did I Fry my USB on my 76csx?

So I think I may of fried my USB connection on my 76csx. I direct connected a USB plug to my motorcycle battery and plugged it in. Now its not completely fried, when I plug in a power cord it will get power. But when I try to connect it to the computer to connect to mapsource, it isn't located by the computer. I reloaded the USB drivers from garmin and reloaded Mapsource, but still nothing. I even caenged computers, still nothing. Tried different USB cables, nothing. When I switch it to Mass Storage device, the computer won't recognize it. In the settings the USB connection states "not connected"...I made sure it says "Garmin" under the connection....

Garmin says its $110 for out of warranty repair.....everything still works on it, but I can't add anything...like track, maps or way points.

Ideas??
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
Sounds like USB circuit is dead. You were not aware that USB is 3V or 5V but absolutly not 12V?

You connect two pins of the round connector to 12V for external power.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
leonphelps OP
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay

I was reading other threads where inmates were saying it could take up to 12 volts no problems. I was aware of the 3V or 5V, but "assumed" it would be fine. Guess they/I was wrong. :((
Old 08-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunceiii
I was reading other threads where inmates were saying it could take up to 12 volts no problems. I was aware of the 3V or 5V, but "assumed" it would be fine. Guess they/I was wrong. :((
I doubt very much that it has a regulator to drop voltage and 12V will fry a 5V chip. CycoActive and others sell 12V to USB regulators for Oregon and others that dont have 12V input! That is a big clue that the "inmates" are full of it.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
I doubt very much that it has a regulator to drop voltage and 12V will fry a 5V chip. CycoActive and others sell 12V to USB regulators for Oregon and others that dont have 12V input! That is a big clue that the "inmates" are full of it.
I don't think anyone was "full of it", he just misunderstood. I've never seen anyone say on here that the 60/76 could take 12 volts at the USB connection.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunceiii
So I think I may of fried my USB connection on my 76csx.
My original setup was 12V through a 5V regulator to my USB connector. That worked fine for a long time. Then I switched things around and accidently ran 12V into the USB connector. That fried my 76cx such that it wouldn't even turn on. It was completely dead. Warranty fixed it. Now I only use the big round connector, with 12V. It's amazing to me that your unit turns on after what happened.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
leonphelps OP
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay

I'll probably send it out to get fixed after I get back from my TAT trip. Unless anyone can guarantee that Garmin will get it back to me repaired before August 28th?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Not a very good work around, but the big 12v connector is also a serial data port. With Garmins serial data cable (and a serial to USB adapter if needed) you may still be able to communicate and transfer data although at a much slower rate. Not so bad with waypoints, tracks etc, but a pain with maps.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
I don't think anyone was "full of it", he just misunderstood. I've never seen anyone say on here that the 60/76 could take 12 volts at the USB connection.
+1

Many Garmins have regulators built in to the power connectors but USB is different.

There's a lot of power cable information on the PFranc site.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:02 AM   #10
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfranc
You can burn up your GPS with the power cable you make with my Plug. Be extra careful if you have a low voltage model, the ones with 5 pin plugs. My connector lets you connect to the 5 pin models. The 5 pin models want no more than 8 volts! The 4 pin models can take 32 volts and some even 40 volts.
Figure out what your unit can handle before making a power cable. If you make a cable that can supply more than 8 volts (like a cigarette lighter) then make it into a 4 pin plug by inserting the little plug plug I provide with the kit. (Get it? A plug for a plug is a plug plug?) Be responsible. Save a Garmin. It could be yours. (BTW, The Rx data line is OK with COM port voltages (+/-12V), no problem). (BTBTW, as of 12/1/2001 (5 years and 175,000 plugs later) I have not received one report of anyone burning up a GPS. Good going guys!
werd

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
You can always use a card reader to read and write data and use batteries ... if all else fails. You haven't completely fried it. I know how you feel ... simply stupid!

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Claybuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
fried my Colorado the same way, 12V through the mini USB. Just sent in the Colorado and the 276c (for corrosion in the mini USB).

I guess I'll have to dig out the old GPS III+ so I don't get lost.
Claybuster is online now   Reply With Quote