Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #16
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
"Look out of place?" What damned difference does it make how they look? Not flaming here, just asking. Form over funtion has always confused me. I love my Pelicans, and it took me all of 20 minutes to fab up some lanyards to keep the lids from opening past 90 degrees, so that takes care of the spillage issue. They're tougher than aluminum boxes, and they don't turn your stuff black with aluminum oxide. They hold as much stuff as I ever want to carry on a D/S bike, and come in wide range of colors to suit even the pickiest (present company excluded, apparently) riders.

The price is right, too, as I'm into my whole Pelican setup for about $400, and that includes the rack.

What is available that functions better, BTW? I did some long and hard research before deciding on these bags, and part of that was buying and modifying a set of Mermite cans, which I ran for an entire year. Hated the things.
Now there's a good reason for loving them... $400 is cheap for serious plastic (or otherwise) side cases... even if you do have to perform some minor work to make them function better.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
kodiakfrank
Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer: 9,621
I've had my Caribou System on my 1150GSA since the system came out. The racks are top notch and hell for strong and the Pelicans are just about indistructable.

My GSA has been on her side several times (tip overs and low speed falls) while fully loaded. The cases and the mounts suffered zero damage besides small scraches.

FWIW, I've been aircraft mechanic for over 25 years and have used Pelicans as tool boxes and for protecting delicate instraments. I have seen 1550 cases fall 15-20 feet off of a wing and just bounce off of the concrete. I have seen a few crack over the years but I assure you that Pelican really does back their products.
kodiakfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z

Doesn't your tent get the other items wet after you've broken camp in the rain or after a dewy night?
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #19
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighScore

They have very little storage space compared to other systems,
Dude, are you stoned? What kind of space are you looking for? You need to carry everything and the kitchen sink and still hope to go off road? So what you need 45 liters instead of 36? And how much useful is that going to be unless its a liquid not in a container? Ooh you can get a whole another small bag in there!
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #20
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Doesn't your tent get the other items wet after you've broken camp in the rain or after a dewy night?

That is likely why he put it on the bottom (that whole gravity thing you know)

Hi Klay,

Loving my DR. Damn I am a cantankerous bastard at times aren’t I?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #21
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,190
They don't all load from the side. $125.00 including mounting hardware. Tough to melt these.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #22
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Same concept as the Givi bags. Side-load and all. I use a lightweight convertible duffel as "liner bags" in my E36's They are plastic but tough as nails -they aren't going to melt! Plus they are waterproof.

The Pelicans look like a decent system but I really like the Givi monokey system where they just snap on and off. But I bet the pelicans are a tighter, more narrow system.

Those aluminum side-cases look like they are a PITA. Aluminum bends and breaks in a crash. And then they don't hold the water out. Plus I bet everything inside gets black with the aluminum oxide dust.

I think the Aluminum cases look stupid. But if people like them, then go ahead and use them. It's a free world. If they work for them then go ahead. The same for the pelican plastic cases. It's not like it's a Harley Davidison or anything stupid like that.

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #23
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
...but I really like the Givi monokey system where they just snap on and off...
The Caribou Pelicans are mono/no key snap on and off.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #24
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
The Caribou Pelicans are mono/no key snap on and off.
So are they locked on secure? Or can anyone just snap them off and take them if you leave the bike?

I like having my Givi's be my locker for my helmet and 'stich. I put them away and leave the bike parked and don't have to worry about them getting stolen any more than the whole bike being taken.

That's the beauty of the Givi system. Hopefully the Pelicans can do this too.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #25
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,825
Quote:

I always pack my tent in a dry bag if I think I might be camping in the rain. That keeps the other stuff from getting soaked and gives me the option of keeping the tent out of the box completely.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #26
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,744
Quote:
I was worried about that, but happily, I haven't had that problem. If you shake off the tent before you pack it up, there really isn't that much moisture to speak of.

A few times I've packed up a damp tent and loaded it up like you see in the picture above. In the evening, the tent is still damp, and my other stuff is dry.

In addition, now I keep the tent in a better stuff sack, and as Al mentioned, I sometimes carry a drybag in which to pack my tent if I really need it... thought I think I've never used that method in practice.

But mostly, if the tent is so wet that it's leaking through the stuff sack, I simply carry it under a net on the pillion seat for the first few hours of the day, and then it's dry.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #27
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
So are they locked on secure? Or can anyone just snap them off and take them if you leave the bike?

I like having my Givi's be my locker for my helmet and 'stich. I put them away and leave the bike parked and don't have to worry about them getting stolen any more than the whole bike being taken.

That's the beauty of the Givi system. Hopefully the Pelicans can do this too.
You have a choice. You can just put them on and turn the knob to secure them to the bike, and if you feel like it you can put the key in the knob and that locks them to the bike.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #28
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
You have a choice. You can just put them on and turn the knob to secure them to the bike, and if you feel like it you can put the key in the knob and that locks them to the bike.
Neat!

Sounds like a great luggage option.

I ended up having to modify my SW_Motech racks by threading a cable between them to a carabiner under the seat because I didn't like the way they locked to the bike. What good is a locking bag if the rack it locks to can be easily removed? And the SW_Motech lock mechanism looked really cheesy/flimsy. Not only did I not want to trust it but it required carrying YET ANOTHER key with me. This way the locking seat becomes the method of securing the racks and I didn't have to buy another bulky/ugly/exxpensive pair of locks from SW_Motech.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #29
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=Caribou

Plus this guys mounting system and locks are TOP SHELF STUFF.
+1
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #30
DirtDriven
Not Cheap,Thrifty

Oddometer: 299
The pelican cases are indestructible!! I have never used any as panniers but have used them for other applications and they have been well worth every penny.
DirtDriven is offline   Reply With Quote