User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #31
squallywally
Sad Sack

Oddometer: 123
Its all in how you pack

I can carry more than I would ever need. Also the Raider Luggage liner bags from good ole JC whitney take care of the spillage problem. See Attch. Photo.

Also, If you stay in a motel, the handles on top sure make it easier to take them in if neccessary. (I know you can rigg a handle apparatus for aluminum boxes)

not knocking the aluminum boxes they look great on my friend's Transalp,
Attached Images

squallywally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #32
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighScore
Not sure if this is the right forum or not.
Feel free to move.

I don't want to come off sounding mean, because I say this with the utmost of sincerity to my fellow riders.
But WTF is up with the pelican cases being used as side mounted panniers?

They have very little storage space compared to other systems, and when you open them up while still on the bike the contents spill out. They are made of plastic, so if they are too close to an exhaust pipe they melt. No to mention they look "out of place".

Please don't flame me, I just have a buddy who claims they are the best thing ever. (And at the same time he is saying that, he is picking up the spilled contents of his pelican cases from the ground). I don't see what is so great about them, considering that there are a LOT better functioning products out there to choose from.
On my last bike - I used Pelican 1550's - UNBELIEVABLE and the ENTIRE rack & pelican system I did DIY for $400.00 CANADIAN.

THey were slim, bulletproof, waterproof (proven through enough Monsoons - and yes I WILL ride ANY weather).

They are cheap to repleace if one gets broken from a drop - ***AND*** Pelican has a LIFETIME guarantee on the cases as long as the damage isn't within 1" of a bolt hole that you have put in it to mount them. Yes - that is a LIFETIME Guarantee. Call em up, they see the case picture and send you a brand new one. simple simple.

35 liters & as wide as the handlebars ??? - YUP they are that slim on a V-Strom : (and not affected by sub freezing temperatures)

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #33
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
I thought about it for a long time before settling on Caribous/Pelicans. If packed correctly, nothing falls out. Also unlike aluminum top loaders, your gear doesn't get black oxidation on it, small things don't drop to the bottom, they don't bend up when they hit the ground, they are thinner, they have built in handles for passengers, they are water tight and breath when needed to adjust for altitude, They don't transfer the exhaust heat into the gear, and I think they look very nice on a dual sport. However using one as a top case does look rather odd IMHO.
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #34
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,640
I've got 1550's mounted to my Vstrom and it looks just fine. I can also carry more in them than I should. The side loaders are a pain in the arse but the biggest top loading pelicans looked a little small for what I wanted.
If I was really interested in what others thought I would ride a Hog.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #35
Ducman69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
I picked up some Pelican 1520s on sale and they seem very durable, great warranty, waterproof, not overly heavy, and in the case of the 1520 model specifically are very THIN for their capacity compared to other options I had seen. Sue me, but I even like the square look on the Strom.

Givis looked really nice too and are made for my rack, but I love that these are only 36.1" wide!

The Pelicans are $85 here. Some little Givi E21s are much smaller and over twice the price.
Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #36
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Owned Givi kit for my street bike and they worked fine. Compared to the Caribou system though they are several steps down. In heavy rain my Givi let water in. The fit kits work but can be a PITA to get on just right. And for off road I would not trust the cast aluminum of the Givi racks to hold up as well as the steel tubes. And the Givi cases would not last on a tip over.

Two fine products for two different needs. But for me now the Givi would not work as I'd like.
GeckoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #37
007brian
shaken not stirred

Oddometer: 543

the cases work for me I modified the factory racks to use pelicans instead
007brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:08 AM   #38
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,696
Lifetime warranty sure, but have you ever heard of anyone having to use it?

I spend an inordinate amount of time on the internet reading about motorcycles, and I've only read about one failure of the Pelican cases. I can't exactly recall the circumstances, but the rider went down hard in rocks or something, and the case cracked and a large chunk of plastic came off.

It's the only Pelican failure I've ever read about.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #39
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
I like the pelican cases. Are the 1500's the normal ones used as side cases? What rack systems do you use to mount them? How much modification is necessary?

Obviously, I'm curious.
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #40
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,090
We have Pelican 1520 cases on the DR650s. I used moto-sport pannier racks and their universal mounting kits and it was a little under $400 per bike.

Sturdy enough? This is when FatWife broke her ankle outside of Moab.

For packing, we use Eagle River Double Cube bags to hold our gear. Two of them fit perfectly in the 1520.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #41
fhfr436
Thirsting for ADV

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57
I like the pelican cases. Are the 1500's the normal ones used as side cases? What rack systems do you use to mount them? How much modification is necessary?

Obviously, I'm curious.
I believe the 1550 is the one normally used for side cases. That's the one that Caribou uses for the 35L setup.
1440 is used for the top loaders.

fhfr436 screwed with this post 08-11-2009 at 09:19 AM
fhfr436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #42
stinny
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Pelican Bolt Penetrations - Durability and Waterproofing

Ive been following the threads on the Pelican cases and panniers in general and am going to go ahead and start setting up a pair of the 1520's for my DR650 with the moto-sport brackets and mounts. Anyone experience any problems with the bolt penetrations in terms of durability and waterproofing. Any tips on this would be great. Thanks
stinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #43
fhfr436
Thirsting for ADV

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
For packing, we use Eagle River Double Cube bags to hold our gear. Two of them fit perfectly in the 1520.
Those must be named after the larger waterway into which the Eagle Creek feeds;-)
Old 08-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #44
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Im running 1550's on SW-Motech quick release racks and it works great and was way less than most luggage systems.

Im using some JcWhitney bag liners to keep my stuff organized and it works great to keep my stuff from falling out. And they are only $17 each. They even have an insulated option if you want to use one side as a cooler.

YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:32 AM   #45
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinny
Ive been following the threads on the Pelican cases and panniers in general and am going to go ahead and start setting up a pair of the 1520's for my DR650 with the moto-sport brackets and mounts. Anyone experience any problems with the bolt penetrations in terms of durability and waterproofing. Any tips on this would be great. Thanks
I used some caulk when I put my kit together. I waited 24hours after doing so and then took the garden hose to it and the new water proof bag I got(Ortlib). Dry as a baby's behind.

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote