User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2014, 04:45 AM   #1
Dave OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,757
need a new smoker

My starter electric smoker lasted for 2 years. It worked pretty well, and was generally happy with the results.

But, the non replaceable element quit, so its time for a new smoker.

I think I'd like to try gas, but I'm sure there are plenty who will scream heresy if it's not charcoal. The Big Green Egg is intriguing, but spendy, and I'm not sure how well it would do if all I'm really looking for is a smoker.

What's the recommendation?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:11 AM   #2

Oddometer: 5,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
In case you don't make it down to the basement, there is a pretty good thread on all things smoking.

I'm a total newb to "real" BBQ and am enjoying a BGE knock off made by char-griller, the Akorn. It's a insulated steel instead of ceramic, but has some of the same characteristics.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
My starter electric smoker lasted for 2 years. It worked pretty well, and was generally happy with the results.

I think I'd like to try gas, but I'm sure there are plenty who will scream heresy if it's not charcoal. The Big Green Egg is intriguing, but spendy, and I'm not sure how well it would do if all I'm really looking for is a smoker.

Here ya go . . . . . . . Use it to smoke (Coals in smaller chamber only), also works well for grilling (coals in large chamber) . . . . . . Enjoy !

Google "Char-broil smoker".

I've had mine 5 + years hard use & sitting out in the rain all winter, etc. - still works great.

. . . . . . You're welcome.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,389
I use an Akorn cooker. I have had a bunch of them and this one combines the features of the BGE without the expense. I use lump charcoal and have great results.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
corsair4360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Smoker

Make one out of a food grade 55 gallon drum. They work great, I have one. The biggest expense is a replacement Weber grill and the air intake valve. All depends upon how "deluxe" you want it.

Go here for more information: http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...um-Smoker-UDS/ or do a google search on "upright drum smoker plans".
corsair4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I just got a new smoker this spring. Wanted a good one that was built to last. Could find nothing local, then found this place online

http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/o.../_/N-578824977

I purchased the Wrangler model and had it in just over a week. It is 275 pounds and is built like a tank. Only $65 to ship from Texas to Wisconsin. They unloaded it and put it in front of garage door. Use it at least twice a week.

">
06 WR250F
86 Nighthawk 700s (Red, White,Blue)
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
Racerrrx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Your budget would help...
Mine is small so I went with a Char Griller barrel type ($100 on sale) and added the side smoker box ($50). Did some simple mods and it works great, but does have a learning curve and takes more interaction than some like. The side box has cooking grates too, so it can be used as a grill for smaller meals- have not fired up my old gas grill since I got this. Uses charcoal (and lots of it till you seal it up better), I also add firewood splits.

I'd get a BGE in a heartbeat if I could swing it
Racerrrx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

I like my egg. It smokes quite well especially with a BBQ guru. If I need a grill or oven it does that too. The only person I know who has an electric smoker wants to dump it as while it's an excellent smoker it doest do anything else.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
rhlrdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Primo Grill.

Sizing is nicer than the BGE
rhlrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Electric? Luhr Jensen

My 22 y/o Luhr Jensen Lil' Chief works great, primarily I smoke salmon on it, not beef or ribs. No problems ever its fast becoming a family heirloom.

I also have 4 charcoal kamados (BGE, Visions, Kamado Joe) for grilling, cooking, baking, low and slow smoking.

What type of smoker are you looking for? Elec, pellet, or lump?
Old 09-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,136
UDS... works wonderfull. If loaded properly it will last 16-20 hrs. Haven't had anything fail yet!
Old 09-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
Dave OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,757
I"d say my budget is $500 without having to clear it with the boss. I'd love a BGE. I've heard great things about them, but at $800 for a large, and then you get to throw the accessories in on top of that. Cha-ching.

My other fear is that I'd have to store it outside. It's too heavy to haul around into the garage, and I'm afraid the weather here would completely destroy it.

I'm also looking for something that can go for fairly long smokes without needing constant attention. I've never had a charcoal smoker, but they seem like they'd be the neediest. That was one of the beauties of my old electric. Set the temp, and don't mess with it. The flavor was pretty good, but not spectacular.

I already have a Weber gas grill that serves me quite well, so I really don't need another grill.
I figured I'd go with a gas smoker because sometimes I like to run it when it's snowing or lightly raining, and obviously that's not the best environment for an electric unit.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotdm View Post
I just got a new smoker this spring. Wanted a good one that was built to last. Could find nothing local, then found this place online

http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/o.../_/N-578824977

I purchased the Wrangler model and had it in just over a week. It is 275 pounds and is built like a tank. Only $65 to ship from Texas to Wisconsin. They unloaded it and put it in front of garage door. Use it at least twice a week.

">
Five hunert clams ? ? ? - Uhhhm, what guage steel is it made of ? ? ? ? ?

. . . . . . Seriously considering for when the char-broil will need to be replaced.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlrdr View Post
Primo Grill

Sizing is nicer than the BGE
+1 for Primo. I have been using one for years and I absolutely love it!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: