Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
EduardoMas OP
Spartan Overlander

Oddometer: 395
Prescription frames, field intel needed.

New to prescription eyeglass frames and can use some advice from the collective.
I trust real life experience over marketing claims.

Is there a rugged or at the very least somewhat flexible frame.
The glasses will be used in dusty/muddy environments and carried in pockets and cinched luggage in the back of a shaky bike down bouncy trails.
Looks are not important and I understand from my occultist that smaller, round shapes are technically better.
Is glass a better lens choice than plastic or are there coatings that make plastic ones better than glass for wear?

Prethanks,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
EduardoMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,194
I wear a mild perscription, and it sounds like we have similar applications.

Memory metal frames truly are nearly indestructable. If I ever break mine I hope I'm not wearing them at the time because if I am that means I'm dead. They also have the advantage of very thin frames, so they don't block your peripheral vision.

I've never investigated glass lenses, since the bulk and weight penalty is significant and I often rely on my poly lenses as low-quality field expedient safety glasses. They're not Z87, but they're way better than nothing and won't put shards in your eye like glass will.

I previously was not a fan of anti-reflective coatings, as I had experienced them to not work very well and tend to smudge. I've had Crizal/Scotchguard coating on my current poly lenses for about year and highly recommend it. It does cut down on reflections, and does appear to reduce scratches and ease cleaning.

If you carry them in vibrating pockets while muddy/dusty you will scratch the lenses no matter what they are made out of.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,129
I get free glasses through work and they are Z87 rated. Metal frame, plastic lenses. Pretty durable, but does get scratches. I get them yearly, so a new one is just a year away. I've had regular home glasses, but changing between them and the ones I need for work was a pain. I had purposely gotten some NIKE frames since they were made of Titanium, they would be tough, not so, they broke at the bridge.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,827
I have polycarbonate lenses in all sorts of frames some plastic, some metal. My prescription has hardly changed in the last 10 years so I wear the same glasses. They have UV coating and turn dark outside.

Best place for glasses is on your face, or in their case. Otherwise they get scratched. Renders them irritating.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoMas View Post
I understand from my occultist that smaller, round shapes are technically better.
Are you sure that you went to the right sort of doctor?

For riding you will want the most flexible frame that you can afford (bring your helmet along for the fitting). At the minimum you want two-way hinges, and a flexible bridge. There are frames that can almost be wadded up and still spring back into shape, but they cost.

I always get anti-scratch, and anti-glare coatings, and have been getting Transitions lenses for the past six years (I always used to forget my sunglasses; now I always have them). The coatings come with a 2 year warranty, and I usually start seeing scratches after 15 months of use (probably because I don't use the fancy silicone cloth when I clean them), so take advantage of the warranty.

Back in the olden days there was no choice but to have glass lenses. Once Polycarbonate came out I never went back. Glass lenses are inherently scratch resistant, but when they do scratch it's much more noticeable. Poly lenses don't shatter when you step on them (or when a fast-moving projectile is speeding toward your eye). Glass lenses are heavy. Even with a mild prescription you'll get a sore nose where the pads rest if you have to wear them all day.

Smaller lenses are better. The larger the lens the thicker the lens will be at the edges, which adds weight. With a poly lens a thicker edge will also act like a prism and you will see color seperation at the edge of your feild of vision. The first poly lenses I had did that, and nobody told me about it beforehand. Seeing rainbows on every peice of paper you look at gets old really quickly. I switched to a smaller size lens and the problem went away.

k-moe screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 07:42 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
EduardoMas OP
Spartan Overlander

Oddometer: 395
Thumb

This advice is gold,

The Flexon frames with polycarbonate lenses and crizal/scotchguard seems to be a proven combo. I will forego the Transition lenses as mine will only be for reading at 40cm and can still see the GPS.
The two way hinges sound like a winner as well.
If I put the gleses on while wearing a helmet... would a bayonet style temple make it easier?

My occultist ?!? Man, I need glasses.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
EduardoMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Prescription frames, field intel needed.

I'll second Flexon frames I'm must be running a decade on my set.

One piece of advice is to never touch your lenses dry, especially to wipe dust off with a cloth, that's effectively micro-sandpaper. Only touch them to wash with soap and water.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,194
I only tried polychromatic lenses once and didn't care for them. The tint was a purple color that didn't work well as sunglasses, they don't work behind windshields, and if there is any rain on the lens the spot doesn't "transition" which makes them less useful outdoors.

I also didn't like always coming into buildings and appearing to have left sunglasses on for 5 minutes while the lenses changed back.

I'm also not a big sunglasses fan in general and I know some people love the polychromatic feature so my experience may not be a good reference point. Just like AR coatings there are different types, perhaps I just had a bad one.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
Kenny M.
Tepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Flexon frames. Crizal coated lenses. Fourty years as an Optician. Flexon can be broken and Crizal can be scratched but so far that is the best combo.
74 Norton Commando
10 KLX250s
Kenny M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,186
In ref to the lightweight flexible frames....

On my previous prescription the glasses guy showed them to me, wadded them up and they popped back into shape. Awesome! This will work great with my helmet. WRONG. I don't have issues with having to take them off to put the helmet on but when I put them on with the helmet everywhere there was pressure(even light pressure) the glasses deformed. One thing I like is having my glasses set straight across my field of vision. These things would not sit right and it drove me crazy. A couple months later I got some Oakleys that were heavier and stiffer and kept their shape. Another thing on the light weight frames they are great when you put them on. But since they have no weight they don't stay in place once you start sweating. I still used the light weight frames for dirty work, painting around the house but as soon as I start sweating they start sliding down my nose a lot.

Another thing about my Oakleys(or whatever similar style frames you prefer) is that they have almost straight ear pieces with rubberized ends. Easy on and off in the helmet and stay put. Weight is no a lot but they stay put.

Here's another thread in the Equipment forum that will give you some ideas.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=prescription

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny M. View Post
Flexon frames. Crizal coated lenses. Fourty years as an Optician. Flexon can be broken and Crizal can be scratched but so far that is the best combo.
Yep, I finally managed to snap a pair at the bridge. But it took a long time and a lot of abuse.

Lightweight flexible frames do bend when I put them on wearing a helmet. But I can always manage to get them on with all three of my helmets. It takes a couple of tries sometimes.

Personally, I am huge fan of Transitions Vantage lens that also become more polarized as they darken. So far no issues reading gauges and device screens but they cut glare.

I have been told they don't darken in a helmet. But I haven't found that to be true. Mine darken and increase polarization just enough to be useful. Even in my helmet, behind goggles in a frozen cloud:

Old 09-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #12
eric1514
(R)

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoMas View Post
New to prescription eyeglass frames and can use some advice from the collective.
I trust real life experience over marketing claims.

Is there a rugged or at the very least somewhat flexible frame.
The glasses will be used in dusty/muddy environments and carried in pockets and cinched luggage in the back of a shaky bike down bouncy trails.
Looks are not important and I understand from my occultist that smaller, round shapes are technically better.
Is glass a better lens choice than plastic or are there coatings that make plastic ones better than glass for wear?

Prethanks,
Unless you're made out of money, you better learn to take better care of your glasses. You don't stuff expensive glasses into pockets in dusty environments. They will scratch in no time regardless of whether they are glass or plastic or have some coating on them. Carry them in a case and don't wipe the dust off them with your fingers or tee-shirt. That's been my experience. I have to wear mine every waking hour, but I don't take my new ones where it's going to be dusty. I wear my scratched-to-shit ones.

As far as shape, I wear progressives and the lens needs to be larger than if they were just reading glasses and round doesn't work at all.

Good Luck.
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #13
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,067
I've gone the expensive frame route, titanium is great stuff but this time I found frames in the shape I wanted for $9. I bought three pair and put more money into the lens, I don't remember what all, Nikons in glass and other stuff. I don't worry about frames now, and haven't even needed to replace the first pair yet. I'll probably get tired of the shape before I use them.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,470
Get poly lenses, and don't clean them with paper towels. Carry them in a case when you aren't wearing them. It's cheap protection. Shoving a multi-hundred dollar pair of glasses in luggage unprotected is foolish IMHO, regardless of what they are made of. The lenses can still be damaged, and it's no fun looking through a scratch on a lense till you can get them replaced, for what's probably another couple of hundred.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #15
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,113
If down the road your needs change a little, you can also get goggles in prescriptions, motorcycle/skiing & swimming.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: