User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #136
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 2,026
Everything in those photos is a collector's item-I'd start by hauling away the Dodge (the windshield frame is very hard to find,for a start)-then I'd take the Model A aircraft tug. Even old Anvils are sought after,too.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #137
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Every town has some toothless, crazy 82-year-old woodchuck with a thousand vintage cars/motorcycles/tractors/airplanes/one-lunger engines parked all over his property that aren't for sale because "I'm going to restore them someday." These aren't "barn finds." They're "inventory for the estate sale."[/quote]

It isn't quite a barn find, but is a old decrepit garage that no one ever goes in find. I was in between the Army and working at monterey Bay BMW. Was doing after hours plumbing and was installing a water heater in an old lady's house over in Carmel. She was the widow of a Navy Admiral. He had been dead for about 10 years, and she had not been in "His Garage" since he died. I had to go in his garaage because that is where the now bunk water heater resided. I walked in and didn't realy pay much atention to the big lump on the right side of the garage with the tarp over it. i finished the job and was about to walk out of the gearage when I remembered she had said she had not been in there since he died, so I asked What is under the tarp?

She said she wasn't sure but it had to be "one of his cars". I asked if I could look now that my curiousity had been piqued.....it was a Porshce 956. Like new condition, and it was beautiful, even thru the dust. I opened the door and it was like new and had a little over 20K miles on it.

I asked her if she would sell it and she said she would have to ask her son what it was worth. She called me two days later and said if I come over with $1000.00 I could have it!

Like I said, I was just out of the Army and doing side work and a grand was like me now coming up with 20K so I couldn't get it together and the car sold. to some more lucky bastard.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #138
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood

my mom had the buick version but with the aluminum v6. for an almost 80's car it was a blast. blew a sparkplug out of the head beating it...and can't count the times i almost rolled it jumping canals.

poor thing was trashed when i was done with it.
I had the Buick version with the V8. Former govt car. Paid $20 for it. Then proceeded to put $1200 in repairs into it!

Started blowing coolant out the exhaust and Dad decided it wasn't worth the $$ to fix.

Not the most powerul car out there, but for a first car, I coulda done worse!

Oh, and the V8 wasn't the Chevy V8! Buick had their own block and heads. Found that out when I went to get chrome valve covers for it.

M
Old 08-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #139
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by d mc gee
79 RT some say the best year to have. Did you get it cheap?
I guessed at what I thought would be a fair price on a 25 year old bike. I almost felt bad when it ebayed for 3x what I paid for it.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #140
dagwood OP
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I had the Buick version with the V8. Former govt car. Paid $20 for it. Then proceeded to put $1200 in repairs into it!

Started blowing coolant out the exhaust and Dad decided it wasn't worth the $$ to fix.

Not the most powerul car out there, but for a first car, I coulda done worse!

Oh, and the V8 wasn't the Chevy V8! Buick had their own block and heads. Found that out when I went to get chrome valve covers for it.

M
yeah that would be the 3800. same as they put in the Rover. aluminum. heads/ iron block.. they warp and blow head gaskets on a yearly basis.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:13 AM   #141
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Spotted this a few weeks ago whilst in Spain.

No, not the little Suzuki 4x4, what we're interested in is under the cover.......

This is what it is

An Alpine A310.

And on the way home through France this was in a barn down the lane from the hotel we stayed in.

A two or three years ago these were parked outside another French hotel.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #142
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
yeah that would be the 3800. same as they put in the Rover. aluminum. heads/ iron block.. they warp and blow head gaskets on a yearly basis.
If that means 350, yeah.

If that don't mean 350, I think it was a 'normal' iron block and heads. Its been since I was 16 that I had that car...

M
Old 08-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #143
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
If that means 350, yeah.

If that don't mean 350, I think it was a 'normal' iron block and heads. Its been since I was 16 that I had that car...

M
215 cid buick powerplant (3.5L), GM could not get it right.......great idea, poor execution. GM attempted to cast the block with iron sleeves in place and could not get it right....they had to machine them later to get the sleeves parrallel thus the sleeve thickness around the bore was not equal and when they heated up the walls expand at different rates causing...............

Some Brit tripped over one of these engines in a junkyard and said what is that little gem, the rest is history except when the english manufactured it they cast the aluminum block then machined it for later insertion of the sleeves. This is what I was told but Fitz is the guy with the names and dates.
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #144
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides

You can really hoof it on that thing!
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #145
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
The one that got away...

But, what the fuck...let's take a look

And yes, what old Maynard G Krebs had under a tarp, a few old mattresses, and some rolled up carpets was a genuine 1959 Abarth 750 Double Bubble

No, not all bright and shiny like the one above. The paint was a bit faded, and the interior was filthy. But it was all there. Every little switch and trim piece just the way it was delivered. It needed some elbow grease, a battery, and about $40 worth of new fluids and, for sure, Lonesome Jinx would be living La Dolce Vida.

I think he wanted $3200 for it

May as well have been a million

And if I had actually become Champion Motorcycle Racer of the World...I would still be kicking myself over the Abarth that got away.

So you can imagine how I really feel about it

We can kick ourselves...and each other: I had a beautifully restored Double Bubble that I sold in the early 90's after it had been evicted from the garage it was stored in and put under a plastic tarp. I sold it to a friend who never finished paying me for it. The last time I saw it, it looked like a dishevelled old dog. I wish I had that one to do over again.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #146
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
In 1985, a buddy and I were delivering phone books in Boulder, CO when, at the end of a work day he excitedly declares his find of a 1958 Alfa 101 Spider Veloce out back of a house he had dropped a phone book at.

It was as you'd expect a convertible to be after 15 years of disuse and exposure: rusted floor, roached interior, toasted wiring, but we felt like we had just won the lottery.

We towed it home behind a borrowed Landcruiser, and took inventory; only the Veloce oilpan was missing, so in our euphoria we slapped together a plan for a resto that would surely only take a year or so.

He finally sold the bare acid-dipped body and the boxes of parts about 5 years ago.

I wish I had pursued the WWII Power Wagon Carryall that was parked next to that Alfa in that alley...

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:47 AM   #147
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Riding through PA in 2004.

The barn:

The find:

duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #148
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X

It isn't quite a barn find, but is a old decrepit garage that no one ever goes in find. I was in between the Army and working at monterey Bay BMW. Was doing after hours plumbing and was installing a water heater in an old lady's house over in Carmel. She was the widow of a Navy Admiral. He had been dead for about 10 years, and she had not been in "His Garage" since he died. I had to go in his garaage because that is where the now bunk water heater resided. I walked in and didn't realy pay much atention to the big lump on the right side of the garage with the tarp over it. i finished the job and was about to walk out of the gearage when I remembered she had said she had not been in there since he died, so I asked What is under the tarp?

She said she wasn't sure but it had to be "one of his cars". I asked if I could look now that my curiousity had been piqued.....it was a Porshce 956. Like new condition, and it was beautiful, even thru the dust. I opened the door and it was like new and had a little over 20K miles on it.

I asked her if she would sell it and she said she would have to ask her son what it was worth. She called me two days later and said if I come over with $1000.00 I could have it!

Like I said, I was just out of the Army and doing side work and a grand was like me now coming up with 20K so I couldn't get it together and the car sold. to some more lucky bastard.

I think you mean 356.

If it was a 956, you should've robbed a bank or something.

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #149
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Every town has some toothless, crazy 82-year-old woodchuck with a thousand vintage cars/motorcycles/tractors/airplanes/one-lunger engines parked all over his property that aren't for sale because "I'm going to restore them someday." These aren't "barn finds." They're "inventory for the estate sale."
I went to an 80 something customer's house. He had about 4 old cars and an old boat strewn around his property. This was a small lot, less than 30' X 80'. These vehicles occupied his entire free space around his home. Since he lived on a slight hill, one of his cars rolled into and broke his and his neighbors fence. If it wasn't for the fence, it would have been in the neighbor's yard. He told me he was going to "restore them", while he was coughing his lung out. And I was looking around and saw his boat with the engine on the ground, the bottom had rotted out. Yea, right. After that, I sold four of my british cars I had been working on and kept the best one.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #150
SuperSlug
The Space Worm

Oddometer: 2,706
1976 Kd175

Picked it up last winter for $400. Probably no more than 15-20 hours on it. All original rubber and paint.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: