Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #166
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
A year or so ago, an aquaintance of my sister's boyfriend (who became her husband last weekend), had a bike in a million pieces in his shop. He told Tom, you get this thing put together and running, and I'll give you this extra bike I have sitting in there too.

He did, and got this 1970 CB350. 4000 miles. It's pretty fun to ride too, I almost told my sister I was riding that thing home from Denver.

Almost.

I have the identical bike in Green. Also a "Barn find" in a way.

Belonged to my fathers friend who bought it new in '71

He passed away in 73 and the bike was "barned" since then.

I got it in '02 for $500 with a tick over 4k on the clock

Had to "kreem" the tank, replace the fuel lines and battery but it starts/runs. Needs a good tune up.
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #167
ElusivePedro
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,587
I went ahead and bought The Hemi in the Barn and The Cobra in the Barn. I rxd the hemi (the #2 book) tonight and turns out to be real easy reading -- perfect for a scooter riding jackass dolt like me. Each story is distilled down to about 8 pages, with just enough pictures to keep me interested.

Hard back with cover. Amazon.

Recommended.

Thanks for the book-intel other poster person!

BTW --- a lot of these classic barn find bikes make me like to check in with this guy every quarter or so... http://www.classicjapanesemotorcycle...or%20sale.html

Vroom Vroom!

edited to show the book...

"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix

ElusivePedro screwed with this post 08-25-2009 at 05:09 PM
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #168
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Court
I went ahead and bought The Hemi in the Barn and The Cobra in the Barn. I rxd the hemi (the #2 book) tonight and turns out to be real easy reading -- perfect for a scooter riding jackass dolt like me. Each story is distilled down to about 8 pages, with just enough pictures to keep me interested.

Hard back with cover. Amazon.

Recommended.

Thanks for the book-intel other poster person!

BTW --- a lot of these classic barn find bikes make me like to check in with this guy every quarter or so... http://www.classicjapanesemotorcycle...or%20sale.html

Vroom Vroom!

edited to show the book...

Tom Cotter is working on his next book - The Vincent in the Barn - should be interesting when it comes out.

He also released a book on Dean Jeffries earlier this year - a great book on one of the top customizers of the fifties and sixties.
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #169
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout
In 1981 I bought a 65 Mustang GT that sat in the back of a guys garage since 71. $1800.00 for the car and a pick-up load of parts. PO was a Ford Parts rep and instead of the parts going back to Ford's warehouse they went to his. There were Shelby parts new in the box. It was the most Bitching car that I have ever owned. Sadly it became an accordion when I was 19. If I can find a few pictures I'll post em up, but sadly there are only a few in a box somewhere.

Ouch! Obviously you came out of that but what shape were you in?

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 AM   #170
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,795
I just talked with a friend of mine. I had toured his father-in-law's "collection" of old cars/projects a few years ago, and was drawn to a '62 Galaxie convertible with a 406 tri-power. It's not an original 406 car, and it needs lots of work, but there is a potential there for a great car. I've always had a soft spot for Galaxie converts.

Of course, life has been busy, and I hadn't talked with my friend for some time. FIL passed away, and there was very little interest in the Galaxie. It's now gone.

"Didn't your dad tell you? I let him know it was for sale." Oh well.

On the bright side, my friend ended up with a beautiful (for an Edsel) Edsel Citation convertible which him and his wife are restoring.

I guess it's a little big for the typical single garage in their newer home, though.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #171
K2
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 4,878
great thread, more barn finds please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout

Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #172
Ghoti
Sooper Brane

Oddometer: 15,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks
No. It is my dad!

He has a partially restored (and being kept in a locked shed) 1956 Chevy Bel Air hard top covertible.

He has a woody truck, a fiero, and some other shit I can't keep up with. He also has a pontoon boat and who the fuck knows what else he has?

All projects, all pretty solid condition...all unfinished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VespaFitz
In Arkansas.

I'm shocked.
Shocked that they're locked in a shed and not in the front lawn?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #173
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,111
Here's a few

ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #174
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,296
Barn "finds", sort of: Brothers friend had a brand new '69 Honda CB750 K0, & everyone drooled over this. He chopped it, I thought, why? what a waste. Went and got seriously, savagely wounded, in Vietnam - the bike sat in the garage nearby. No one thought he'd ever ride again (or for awhile live). In my craven teen ways I coveted that bike, how to unchop a bike, and wondered...but even a self interested punk ass kid like me couldn't propose that. His father sold it, but he lived.

A few years later my friend and I came upon someone who lived nearby with a dead two year old '72 Fiat 128. Friend is a real fast talker and convinced him the timing chain went (common problem) and it was toast. $50 later it was "ours" ($5 for a new distributor cap). We celebrated with an impromptu surf trip to Baja. Friend is not only a fast talker he's always "right"...against my protestations I told him it wasn't safe to drive at night in Mexico. What was I going to do, it was "his car". We hit the Mexican version of the Holstein pictured earlier. Totaled the car and we had a real scare getting out of the country.

Fast forward several years (circa 1983) same fast talking friend convinces some people at an estate auction in Montecito, CA (rich town with tons of very elderly people, a gold mine for great finds by the way) to let us buy the two "junk cars" before the auction. For $300 we got two early 60's Fiat 600's, not pristine, but the condition is we clean out the rest of the garage. Agreed. Mostly junk, but there were 3 scooters, two early 60's Vespa's and a Lambretta, got them all to run pretty easily, including the twin Fiats. Also, in a wooden box, was a brand new pickled engine for one of the Fiats (one of which had the Innconeti/Abarth (sp?) stuff on it). Thankfully we never hit a cow in those cars.

In 1990 while at a local dump tossing stuff out of a truck I see I am throwing it on a very clean Guzzi Eldo only missing the front wheel. I tried to figure a way to get it on the truck, sneaky like, but couldn't. No matter what I said I couldn't get the dump people to let me take it home. I was 400 miles from the fast talker friend...

Seems the bargains and treasures are harder to come by. And I never knew why whatever finds I came across were all Italian. But, in '83 I knew there was a guy who had literally dozens of old Volvo's on some land in the mountains behind Santa Barbara, he never wanted to sell of course...he's an old(er?) man by now, but you never know...does Google earth have the resolution?
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #175
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
I'm lookin for a 33 Ford to replicate the one my dad had as a teen.

Any leads?

M
Old 10-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #176
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenR
How 'bout a dump find:

A few years ago my son and I were taking a load of crap to the dump. This pulls up next to us in the back of a trailer under a pile of trash and junk. Didn't think much about it until the guy starts rolling it off to leave it behind. Obviously, it went home with us that day.
People put ads on craigslist saying "we buy old dirt bikes" and get good finds like yours pretty cheap. There is always some one who thinks an old bike is a POS and just wants it out of there.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #177
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides

This is getting udderly ridiculous.
It'll never be roadworthy. It's missing both horns.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #178
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Keep up with the bad puns, somebody gonna get mad and cream ya (unless you butter them up, of course).
No whey.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #179
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
No whey.
Whey! That thing will Moooove when it wants to.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #180
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
butter stop its getting deep!

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: