Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #241
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden

Never seen one before now! Cool!

Jim
Beautiful car, even in that hideous blue.

I love Zagato door handles...

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #242
Jo-Nathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload
There used to be a fellow just south of Altus, Oklahoma, that had a few acres of old iron..'40's, 50's and 60's, a few '70's model cars and trucks. It all sat there.....and sat there......and sat there. He wouldn't sell anything, would run you off if you stopped to ask or inquire. Never could figure out just what he wanted to accomplish by that. Eventually, he died or was put in a home or something. His son commenced to sell it all off, but by that time it was all pretty worthless, rusted, unsalvageable junk. I think there were a few gems to still be had, but the rest pretty much got sold as scrap metal. There was a late 60's Plymouth musclecar that had a tree that grew up through it!

Damned waste. Just can't figure folks like that.
Two or three years ago I went to a place on the other side of Oklahoma (All I remember is we went through Tulsa to get there) once with a buddy looking for parts for his 59 Fleetside. We had no idea what we were about to see. This guy's personal parts stash consisted of literally hundreds of American cars from the 40-70s, mostly 50s. He let us just walk around and check it all out on our own. It was pretty neat but sad at the same time, lots of piles of rust that used to be some really cool cars.
Jo-Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #243
Sancho Panza
Super Black Eagle

Oddometer: 990
Question

Why did your Uncle collect all the bikes and just let them sit? I assume he used to ride, what happened?
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #244
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho Panza
Why did your Uncle collect all the bikes and just let them sit? I assume he used to ride, what happened?
He had some knee problems, then some heart problems. He is convinced that he will be able to ride them all again. the love he has for his motorcycles is very strong, and it makes him happy to know they are there. when I go to visit I try to pull one or two out and start them, I have fuel stabilizer in most, and most do run. I'm not sure how I'm going to feel the day I can't start my old panhead. I'm really not sure I would be able to sell it......... the sickness goes on. How about you?

crampfan screwed with this post 01-20-2010 at 02:13 PM
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #245
crampfan
not really a nOOb

when I get back to visit, I try to work on a few, not all of his stuff looks like the rat norton

sadly fuel stablizer was not added the last time the maserati was parked.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #246
Sancho Panza
Super Black Eagle

I get it!

Any more shots of the Maserati interior and and exterior (more to love an loath). I get it when I bought this house it came with 2 combat wombats. As an idiot I gave them to a neighbor kid to get running long story short he turned out to be a little shit and wrecked them.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #247
dagwood OP
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
cbx my ass, look at the two in front of it with the tractor seats.
fuckin indians? jeez they're all over the place. chump change.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #248
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
What can turn you into a Hoarder? Crap like this.....

1976; Saved a 1965 396 Impala SS from being crushed (they were loading it onto the truck to go to the crusher when I bought it from the junkyard). Sold it 6 mos later. A year later I find out that guy left it sitting on a city street when he moved. It got towed, he never retrived it from the pound. It got crushed anyway.

1981; Found a 1958 Willys FC-170 with 32,000 miles in a barn. I get it running and sell it. A year later, the guy gets hooked on Crack and gets himself killed while making a buy in East Saint Louis. His dad puts it in his barn (won't sell it). Then Dad dies and last I heard "the daughter had it hauled off".

1984; I sell my Chopped Hardtail 1970 Honda 750. Four years later I'm at at some guys house workin' a deal to swap a PERFECT '50 Dodge Wayfarer Businessman's Coupe for a '70 Monte Carlo and some cash. There sits my old chopper with no tires on it. Under a pine tree. On it's side.
"Yeah, I bought it from so-in-so. I needed the tires for sumthin' else. I'll get back to it someday."

THEN....
I give the the '70 Monte to a gal I was dating at the time. We break up. It sits for a couple of years, and I buy it back for $150 (what they were going to give her for scrap). I get it running (again) and sell it to..... a guy who wrecks it a week later.

And the PERFECT '50 Dodge? THAT guy decides he's gonna' do a Custom. Chops the top off, strips all the trim off, guts the interior.....
and then shoves it under that same big pine tree.
Right next to my old chopper.

THEN...
In '93 I sell my 2nd favorite car. 1965 Riviera, 425 Single 4-barrel, factory vinyl top, rare color/options car. Needed quarter panels, paint, and some interior work, but was my Daily Driver. I sell it cheap to a body man who is hot-to-trot to Restore it.
3 years later some gal cals my work. "My's boyfriend bought your old car from so-and-so buts the title's all messed up. Can you help?" Sure, for money. Later when I talk to boyfriend, I figure out that he makes his money as a "retail recreational pharmaceutical stimulants salesman" and he's letting a pit bull live in it "to help guard on it" while he "learns how to use that Bondo stuff".

And those are just my Favorite Stories. I got more.
-------------------------------------------

Now, in all of these transactions, I made money. But I actallly LIKE cool cars/bikes. And it just kills me to see them get wasted like that.

So someday I'm buyin' a place with LOTS of BIG barns, fillin' them up, and then I'm NOT SELLING ANYTHING TO ANYBODY!!!!

Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 AM   #249
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Otis, your story reminded me of a similar one:

A buddy of mine and I are delivering phone books around Boulder, CO in 1985. We were into various little Italian buzzboxes at the time, so this explains why he arrives at lunch panting like a horny dog because he had found an Alfa 101 Giulietta Spider Veloce moldering next to a house in town. It's rusty as hell, but complete except for the Veloce oil pan.

So we go ask the guy-- who was actually quite approachable and receptive-- about it, and he says $200'll take it. A lot of money at the time, but what the heck.

After a month or so, when we still hadn't gotten the cash together, he goes and checks on the car, and the guy-- Richard, I think his name was-- says he'll take $100.

Same process repeats, we go to talk to Richard, and Mark comes out of the house grinning ear to ear, and whispers to me that it's ours for the taking if we can haul it off. We both felt like we had won the lottery, and hatched one pie-in-the-sky plan after the other about restoring it.

After dragging it to his house on a borrowed trailer behind a borrowed FJ40, and dealing with his parents' vociferous objections, we started work on it, work which was never finished and gradually ground to a halt in the late 90's-- long after I had moved away from Boulder.

Last I heard, it and its attendant assemblage of goodies had been sold off, far less complete and drivable than when we had started. Had we left it alone or completed it (obviously), it would have been much better off, and much less likely to end up parted out or scrapped.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #250
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho Panza
Any more shots of the Maserati interior and and exterior (more to love an loath). I get it when I bought this house it came with 2 combat wombats. As an idiot I gave them to a neighbor kid to get running long story short he turned out to be a little shit and wrecked them.
My father is getting up in years and he will drive his stuff until one day the battery is dead, or rough run, etc. then it sits...I used to keep all my Fathers (and uncles) stuff in running condition, but I have moved out of state, and can only get back a few times a year, when I do, I spend a few days replacing battery's, spark plugs, brake cyls., etc. get them running until the next time. here is a few of the maser, after sitting for about two years.

Every time I visit, I ask him "does it run" and yes they all run is his reply. Now I grab the keys and try to drive them. I'm afraid that one day I will get a phone call from his wife."your dad died last night, when are you getting all the cars?" he is starting to be receptive to sell a few that he can't start/drive easily. but he then he buys another :(
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #251
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,290
Saw a show last night called "Pickers" it was all about some guys who take advantage of old people and sell thier cool old stuff to rich people. I love barn finds but felt kind of bad for the 88 year old guys they were hounding.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #252
Sancho Panza
Super Black Eagle

Brave Effort

I feel your pain and would do the same thing (be the good son/nephew). Try and keep them going so that when the time comes you will be able to sell classics and not dump junk. If the day ever comes when you need help I am sure there are a ton of folks here willing to pitch in and fix stuff or buy the diamonds in the rough. You are a good man sticking helping out!!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #253
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu
Saw a show last night called "Pickers" it was all about some guys who take advantage of old people and sell thier cool old stuff to rich people. I love barn finds but felt kind of bad for the 88 year old guys they were hounding.
the one old guy was beatin them up more that they were him.

I didn't think they hounded at all. They were persistent, but at the end of the day they probably save a lotta stuff from rotting into the ground.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #254
hotshoetom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I had the Buick version with the V8. Former govt car. Paid $20 for it. Then proceeded to put $1200 in repairs into it!

Started blowing coolant out the exhaust and Dad decided it wasn't worth the $$ to fix.

Not the most powerul car out there, but for a first car, I coulda done worse!

Oh, and the V8 wasn't the Chevy V8! Buick had their own block and heads. Found that out when I went to get chrome valve covers for it.

M
The year was 1979 and I had just started working for a local company that paid well and needed a cheap commuter car. I found a 1974 Chevy Nova Custom sitting in an old lady's driveway. It used to be her husbands car and he had died 6 months before that. It just barely started, and needed all the fluids changed and a major tune-up. Paid $1300 for it. It had 66k on the clock. This car eventually became my best ever autocross car and the fastest car I have ever owned until I got the Corvette two years ago. Top end in autocross trim was 149 mph (true). O-60 in about 6 sec. That was with an automatic. So, that is my one and only real 'barn' find. I didn't steal the car and I spent over the life of the car (260,000 miles!) probably something over 12,000 in parts and occasional labor costs for the maintenance and upgrades. Drove it for 10 years and sold it to a guy during my second divorce that took the engine and put it in a Vega... All good things come to an end.

Hotshoetom
hotshoetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #255
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,100
I was a junior in highschool back in '80, and needed some wheels. I had been mowing lawns all summer, and on my rounds through the neighborhood I spotted an old motorcycle chained to a tree in the front yard of a house next to the one I was mowing.

It was a '71 Honda CL175, that had been painted using what looked to be housepaint...a horrible shade of robin's egg blue, with dark blue stick-on pinstripes. It sat there all summer, and my curiosity was piqued.

One day while mowing I noticed the guy that lived there puttering around his yard so I approached him and asked what the deal was with this bike. Seem's it had belonged to his brother, who had gotten it for his daughter, who never rode it. The brother had passed on, and now it was his sister-in-law's. (whew!)

I asked if he thought she might sell it. The next week while doing my scheduled mow of the neighbor's house, he came out and told me she was willing to sell it, and he had the title for it in hand and she had told him to get what he thought might be fair. So we put some gas in it, and I kicked it over. Fired up on the third kick, ran great. Everything worked. I asked him how much, he thought for a moment, then said "I'll sell it to you for a dollar a cc, $175!" I pulled out my wallet, counted out the cash right there (mowing lawns payed pretty good). I finished up my rounds for the day, walked back over and we went down to get the title squared away, and I rode her home that evening.

The next day I took off the tank and side panels, sanded them down and sprayed them with gray primer. I used some flat black spray paint and painted all the little chrome nameplates and such and the exhaust pipe guards. I then proceeded to ride it all over the place for the next two years until I made a trade for a Honda CB450 that I spotted in the backyard of some guy whose lawn I had started mowing. I traded the 175 and $275 for that CB450...again, about a dollar a cc! Not too bad.
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: