User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Josri OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Roadtrip USA!!!

Hi everyone! Let me introduce myself: my name is Josri Salem, I'm from Holland and I'm 26 years old. As an engineer I worked behind a desk for a while till the point that it got so depressing to me that I decided to quit, soled my stuff and went on a big adventure!

I have some frends near Orlando who I know from racing in Holland. One of them did a nice trip from California to florida a while back and also made a blog here. He told me he met a lot of nice people via advrider.com who gave him great advice and even places to stay!

Even dough I normaly ride sportbikes it just didnt feel right to do this on a non american bike, so here it is: 2004 harley sportster 1200 roadster

I started the trip a couple of days ago and I'm curently in hammond LA and wil go north and west from here tomorrow. Well... that was my introduction! Wil start writing my reports tomorrow, lots of cool crazy stuff already happend! Now to tired and hung over from last night haha;-)

Anyway, looking forward to getting good advice and meeting other people on this trip!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
Josri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Have a great trip.

I'm in.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
MoHitch
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Safe Travels!

I'll follow.
MoHitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
tlempke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Have fun and safe travels!

Sounds like a great trip to me! Enjoy the roads from a fellow Harley rider.
tlempke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #5
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,508
cross country on an American made bike and no trailor Im in .
Old 05-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
OV10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Looks like an awesome trip!

How much range are you getting with the small gas tank?
OV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
Josri OP
Adventurer

120miles befor is goes on reserve so probably 150... hoping thats enough!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
Josri OP
Adventurer

Befor I started heading west I took a nice trip to the keys to practice if I would need any further preparations. All I had was a backpack and a tankbag. I soon found out that things were not as comfortabele as I had hoped for....

Here some picks:

Wenn I got back I looked for some sadlebags, highway pegs and a more comfortabele seat. But after doing the math I realised I had to be really carefull with my budget, money goes fast wenn your riding for 2 months! So I thought f*** it! I'll just have to ride here the way she is!

I took off last thursday and after an hour it started pooring with rain. Luckely I bought a rainsuit so I quickly put it on and took off again. I looked down.... shit! Rainpants way to short! Ofcourse after a while my boots got soaking wet. Each time a saw a car I thaught stupid me, I could have sat dry warm and comfortabele listening to some music in a nice car. Instead sitting on a moped cold and drained with a a backpack thats killing me. (Yeah I know this sounds like a sissy but please continue reading ;-)) I kept on riding like that for almost 300 miles till the point I really had enough. I stoped at a little restaurant in a town called Bonifay.

The owner of the place came to me asking about the bike, he was a midlle aged skinny guy with a mustache and true southern accent and named Steve, great! He loved my story so much he just went wild haha! He pointed at me and told all his custommers wat a awesome thing I was doing! Even told his staff he would soon also quit his job. He said there was a bikeweekend in panama so I might as wel stay here. I thaught hell yeah this is exactly wat this trip is all about! This is why doing it on a bike is the best way! Ofcourse the wet feet were long forgotten by now. Steve showed me around, showed me his own 1200 nightster and made sure I got the best hotelroom for the lowest price possible haha!

I actually lost my keys for a while so I put the bike in the hotelroom.... later found out the key got stuck under the magnet of the tankbag.... pffiew...

Old 05-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
Josri OP
Adventurer

More stories this evening! Its time to ride again! Now leaving from Hammond going up direction Arkansas! Please let me know if anyone has any good advice on nice roads, weatherforecast and places to stay!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
pmooney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Josri! alright, time to head through the Ozarks!!! I don't think there's a bad road up there to be honest. Head north on some little two lanes then cross the Mississippi river in to Arkansas. You guys that live there, can you recommend Josri some awesome riding between where he is and say, Eureeka Springs/Fayettville area. I have a friend in Kingston, Ar so I'm gonna get these two hooked up when he gets up that way.
pmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
Josri OP
Adventurer

Hey pat! Nice to see you found my blog! Oef its getting late, need to start packing befor the Indian guy kicks my out of his motel haha

Old 05-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
pmooney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Haha! Better get moving! I'd think from where you're at, head north a bit to maybe Brookhaven area, then jump on side roads and cross the river at either Natchez or Vicksburg and head towards Hot Springs Ar area perhaps. Could probably stay around there somewhere tonight then head north towards Russelville/Clarksville then jump on those beautiful mt roads heading north/northwest towards Kingston Ar. Hwy 7, hwy 21, hwy 123, hwy 16. You're gonna love riding up there! Alright locals, point him down some good roads!
pmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Saddlebags

I have a nice set of throwover saddlebags you are welcome to have if we can meet up someplace. I am in Texas about 60 miles ENE of Amarillo. About 25 miles north of I-40.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #14
ErikMotoMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Welcome to America!

Drop me a note when you get close to Los Angeles. I can give you a hand with servicing the bike and other stuff you might need.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964253
ErikMotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #15
ErikMotoMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
"I actually lost my keys for a while so I put the bike in the hotelroom.... later found out the key got stuck under the magnet of the tankbag.... pffiew..."

Always have a spare key .... keep it IN your tank bag, not underneath it. :-)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964253
ErikMotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote