Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #601
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinJoe View Post
Hey John. Hell of an adventure. Looks like you had a great time Cartagena! You been ridin the bike in Jamaica? Hope it is warm there. Colder than crap here! Keep the RR coming mon! Stay safe and out of trouble!

Check your PMs again Mark. Yep I heard the cows are drinking cold water again. I actually missed feeding cattle for some strange reason I will survive thou and they are in good hands.

I'm always into something down here
Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #602
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sailing we go, or motorsailing as needed

Dec08 and on...

Earlier the choice was made to stay with the boat and not import the bike until I come back to Colombia to save time and hassle, the bike was wrapped up tight like a present and gear was stowed and off we go into the sea once more
We would be 10 souls for this part taking to the sea on the great white ship.

More photos do do the talking for now mainly

My favorite ship in port, the SteelRat swinging at the hook in the distance:

They are always looking for me:

Dependable as ever

The mightly Colombian sail training Bark vessel "Gloria" ?? This ship is really supposed to ask us the old girl SteelRat for permission to leave the harbour, she didn't even thou we had seniority on her

Big ass colors flying off back

Dingy going:

Dingy coming back with supplies, lots of beer in the bottom of that pile
Tanya, Rollie, and Guillelmo bringing back the goods:

Josh and GeeJay pulling the hook up from the muddy bottom harbour:

Heading out to the cut and the open Caribbean:

Me and Capitan LuLu, I still don't think he likes me too muchI'm working on that...

One of my usual hangouts at times:

I wasn't scared at all because Jesus was on board with us and I felt safe

Right after first raising the sails that night running along the coast up to Santa Marta. I think Lulu might have thought we just hit a freak lighting storm when I got this shot raising the main for the first time, no one expects a picture is needed except me

That utility winch saves a bunch of heaving and hoeing

Our position early on after leaving Cartagena:

Nice first moring out for me, some of the 10 where near death from the ocean's motion I shared one of the first early morning watches and I tried to catch some of the rise:

Very little boat traffic for the first part of the voyage, some freighters here and there. I remeber having an interesting watch with two others watching a blinking yellow marker bouy that we couldn't figure out for a while, little exciting wondering what the hell it was for a while in the darkness of the night.
Usual kind of traffic:

Feet try to get better, the right ankle is still not up to 100% think I might have really gotten something in there, I'll rest and see:

New morning drink to me, something from down South that I forgot the name of: check check: yerba mate "companion in lonely times" gift of the sharmans of the Southern world:

And we sailed less the square sail, and it was good:

Well heeled:

We ate good beans that didn't look so pretty:

We made some progress:

Alright but past 12kts has been recorded:

Nice work area/movie theater

More filling food to be had, with good beer:

Fish where caught and fish jumped on board too:

Daniel aka Jesus and I posing with the specimen:

Always moving never stopping in constant production of Nautical Miles made:

Ran between high 2s to mid 7s if IIRC

I miss my real ride and look forward to the day we ride again:

Easiest when they just fly aboard, tender little morsels

Bigger fish found our lines, Jack and something I think:

No major sail trouble other than a broken/missing banton in the main near bottom and a little unstiching of a reinforment area around said banton spot. Changed a air purge fitting on raw water cooling postive displacement pump and one spring on same pump and that was about the extend of minor troubles that I remeber. Someone said the sea stainer of something on the small gennie needed a little cleaning or something along the way too.
Notice small spot on main trailing edge here:

Lots of this going on, most of the sick crew began to come around after a couple days at sea and started to enjoy a little more like I could:

My favorites:

Who would have thought you could have bought a souvenir on the boat from German/Italian Nice but still cheaper in Nicaragua, its the labour:

I keep working on my life's best tan

Lots of smokers on board, hard to believe with pleasant little pictures like these to remind you. It really is an addiction that's tough to deal with.

I used to would've the one on the right
I joined the 50/50 bunch mainly, its too easy to stop for me, I hope the rest have little trouble or enjoy what they have coming from my medical background of knowing a little too much

Have fun and enjoy what you like, its all like drugs

We have proper deserts before dinner Here peach cobbler made by the captain with somekind of special latte:

The galley where the magic happens:

I love the little brace rods for cooking in heavy weather and the oh so important waste hole.

Amazing what gets created here and how well one can eat on a boat. I really have to watch myself and get back on the road soon.

Sunrises and sunsets where special times for me aboard, I really love to see them at sea:

Self made:

Nothing like riding and drinking on the Rat:

this is not so bad at all

New fruits where had, Josh introducing them to me here:

like old style hand grenades as I imagined them:

Hard shelled suckers and with interesting and tasty seedy fruit inside for your pleasure:

One of the craziest beer like drinks I've tried this trip, strange to say the least:

This I liked a lot, caught off the ship makes it more special:

Add this yummy stuff from Belize and its perfect dinner:

Crazy pretty sunrise from the clouds that I can't do justice but is amazing after a night of watch, the sun always cometh, like a religious experience:

Good fruit selection dwindling on the balconey out back, one of my favorite places to rest and relax.:

Daniel and I partaking of the bounty:

Daniel sans fruit:

Land at last and with it brings trouble of a new sort:

The mightly Jamaican Coast Guard got us in it's sights, I think after finding out they we left a Colombian port bound for a Jamaican one. It was discussed on the radio that they intended to board us and refused to wait until we where in port. It was an interesting conversation on the radio which had been lacking mostly throughout this trip so far. They sent there high powered diesel RIB over and wanted us to stop, the engine idled and the prob feathered and we carried on under only sail as they readied to board with guns and we where constantly flanked on the other side with 50 cal deck guns just in case
The boarding party came aboard seeming more like a training episode for the young crew wanting to muster the crew on deck and go through the ship for a deligent search of the vessel for near half hour or so before satisfying their requirements and allowing us to enter the main cabin to escape the light rain. An interesting conversation with one of the guards on deck watching the crew as he said something along the lines "why you guys look so nervous" as I replied "your the man with the automatic weapon it kinda makes you that way"
No real harm done other than taking some of our daylight for harbour maneuvers that where completed in the early evening hours. Good training for them and at least they didn't find any drugs to speak of
Was nice to be back in English speaking land to know what was going on

I got some shots of them as the took off in their fast lauch RIB out the kitchen porthole being all sneaky like:

This boat is badass!

No more guns onboard anymore as they headed back to their mothership, looked like the kind where they just jam the RIB up on the back deck of their cutter-like ship. Seemed like an awesome late model high dollar setup to me:

Funny how they missed these little bits on the kitchen table, I think it was really all practice and looking for that 1000+ kilo bust

Anyway we where all free once again to head around the East side and make way into Port Antonio in the early darkness of the day. Coming into the cut for the anchorage:

The eveing of Dec12 we reached land again and the good Swedish pasta was had on top deck after tying off for the night:

We are here, I am going the wrong way, oh well a little detour is always nice:

The good rum was broke out and some people didn't treat it right:

It was emptied quickly needless to say:

The bar happened to have a pool and as I like to seek out water, I stripped down to the shorts for a good cleaneing:

Had a good party with some of the crew that came along:

I eat too good on that damn boat, too many good cooks aboard I suppose and I hate to waste good food and feed the fish, I think some of the crew knows this and abuses me with extra servings.

I compared heads with a brother from another mother:

Me with a pretty German girl named Nadine:

And Daniel aka Jesus made the scene in another of the cool and interesting shirts from England:

It was nice to have a break and be back on land.

Disco man

Must be like Tron I guess.

The following morning while on the land based toliet I swore I was back at sea!

Posted from still cold Port Antonio 1 1/2 hours to departure to islands to the North.

Its not so bad here even if its cold, looking forward to the bike again but will be a long while before I come back.

Happy Holidays and NYE drink one for me and I'll do the same!!!
I'll miss some eggnog I bet...

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 12-15-2010 at 10:33 AM
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #603
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Great RR Im BR (boat report)!Hell your an ADVsailor now!Sounds like the frickin Village People!! Scaring the hell out of me John!The Hoola hoop girl was nice! Too bad you used your only rubber for a flotation device for the bike! Looks like your having an amazing time! Your not on the bike but WTF! Your not here! Sailboat? Caribbean Ocean? Need I say more? Water, fishing, riding and alcohol! Four of your favorite things and your somewhere out there! Right on buddy! We all wish we could be in your shoes!! Have yourself a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!!! Oh ya the pics with the stickers is really cool! Like where's Wally!!!

SmilinJoe screwed with this post 12-15-2010 at 12:22 PM
SmilinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #604
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,637
F'n awesome
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #605
Mud Missile
Aventurero

Oddometer: 170
Caught up with you.

I finally caught with your adventures. Middle Age Missile told me you spent some time at his house before departing. I wanted to let you know that if you decided to enter into Venezuela from Colombia to let me know so I could try to hook you up with some of my family there. I am glad you have found some great people and make me proud to be from down there. Some of the stuff you have encountered I have experienced my self. I have a huge smile on my face knowing you are having a blast. Can't wait to read more of your RR. Good luck and ride on.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #606
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Feliz Navidad mi amigo!

Hey John. Hope all is well and you have a great and unforgettable Christmas! Hope all is what you expected it to be! Hope your taking lots of pics and making lots of notes. Cant wait to hear this story on this part of your journey. Take care of yourself and enjoy the holidays!!!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #607
PSYCLOPS
Diduseedasizeofdatchickin

Oddometer: 1,764
Merry Christmas dude!

You're frigin' awesome!

I wanna be just like you when I grow up.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #608
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,761
Hope everything is going good. Waiting for more!
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #609
redone
That Guy

Oddometer: 1,158
New year bump

Don't Blink
redone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #610
Mud Missile
Aventurero

New Year News

Jamaica must have kicked your butt since we haven't heard from you since your arrival. Hope everything is okay with you. Let us know if you need anything. I spent some time telling friends and relatives about your adventures and they could not freaking believe it. They were visiting from Mexico to get away from the caos and killings down there. Take care.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #611
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Still alive and kicking in this special place and I've been riding like a fool and living like a savage, except for last night when I checked into an all inclusive resort and attempted to drink 80 bucks worth of rum and beer

Good for me I don't speak Spanish or just might not be able to leave, the women here are amazing and I'd mentioned before about adventure riding in another country is like being a quasi rock star, well here in this place I get just as much attention as a visiting leader of a small coutry, it's almost scary. Crazy place that has a lot of adventure to offer the moto.

I have got lots to show and tell about this special place but it has very limited internet access, go figure

Will have to wait till I get back to Jamaica to do a full update sometime next week I think depends on how much more island riding I get to have thou.

Few more days of fun on this special island, going to the far East and then do a site visit to 'our' special place here and then back to the luxury of the SteelRat once again.

amgios
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #612
Mud Missile
Aventurero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Still alive and kicking in this special place and I've been riding like a fool and living like a savage, except for last night when I checked into an all inclusive resort and attempted to drink 80 bucks worth of rum and beer

Good for me I don't speak Spanish or just might not be able to leave, the women here are amazing and I'd mentioned before about adventure riding in another country is like being a quasi rock star, well here in this place I get just as much attention as a visiting leader of a small coutry, it's almost scary. Crazy place that has a lot of adventure to offer the moto.

I have got lots to show and tell about this special place but it has very limited internet access, go figure

Will have to wait till I get back to Jamaica to do a full update sometime next week I think depends on how much more island riding I get to have thou.

Few more days of fun on this special island, going to the far East and then do a site visit to 'our' special place here and then back to the luxury of the SteelRat once again.

amgios
This is great news. I'll keep checking for updates regularly. Have a few punches on our behalf.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #613
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Hola Amigo!!! Holy crap your alive and not in prison! Glad to hear you are good my friend! Hope you got photos of these hot chicks! Cant wait to read your RR and see the photos. So how did the 80 bucks of drinks turn out? Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #614
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back in port at Antonio, Jamaica after a quick sail from a special place. It was an amazing story more coming after I rest up a bit. Dosen't look like it will be worth the rtouble to import the bike into Jamaica, since we are not in Kingston where it seems those are the only people who seem to know a damn thing about how to bring a bike into the country. Oh well I've had enough of an adventure on the bike for a while and need to take in a little R&R and do a little refitting of the bike and get back on the big lands and get going again

It was well worth the trip
Old 01-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #615
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 772
33 1/3 n c s

Very awesome....I would be nervous as heck with some sailors pointing 50 cal guns in your direction! Sounds like you kept your cool. Looking forward to hearing more!