Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #211
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noel
When you started talking about a ride there a while ago I thought you might be sceeming and end up joining John.
I was planning on it, but couldn't get my ducks in a row in time to meet him at the boat. Dammit! I soooo want to do the TT
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #212
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo
I was thinking of opening the hunting cabin for a few days to some local ADV FF's (I expect you to arrive late, fall asleep in a chair by the fire, probably well fed, ah good times)
Works running my ass these days but I can always make some time for "travelers".
Keep focused on the road.
I was thinking of crossing into the UP and then maybe the Central Adv Rally but I got a tour of the damn dam on Friday moring and then after that hammered down to Montreal find a front tire between here and there or in Ottawa and then back to the states.

The short answer is I'm not for sure yet but it sounds like a good idea to me, but then again I fly by the seat of my riding pants

When where you opening the cabin? This weekend?
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #213
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

The rest of the 4th-Road to Gagnon

I got on my way and crossed into Quebec once more for the last time I'm thinking. Richard from Quebec had told me about the runway in Gagnon and even sent me a nice email with the GPS directions that I for some reason didn't take time to record and didn't have any idea where it would be, stupid alder bushes hide all with enough time to grow.

Special Thanks to Richard since I don't remember thanking him here. The guy scooped up my gloves in front of a bridge on the road to Cartright where I failed to put them in the box after changing them for the cooler gloves. When he met back up with my at the ferry terminal in Cartright he asked it I lost anything and crazy like I am, I didn't even know they where gone yet, the temperatures where better at the moment, so he found a hundred on the ground and gave it back to its owner, no questions-they even fit him, Thanks man That stupid bridge back in Labrador:

On to Gagnon now. First I really enjoyed this part of the TLH more than any other part. I'd been warned by many that this was the worst part but in my story this was the funniest, most technical part with the most at stake with little error. My new little tkc in back made it even better, it's fun to make the big mule push and slide a little around a corner and move on down the road. There where lots of twists and turns, railroad crossings, big trucks, and some cars to top it off. The surface was mostly white topped with just enough slick to make it fun for me. I got a little over aggresive just enough to keep me in line. It was pure heaven down to Fire Lake where the pavement came back for some fast running on into Gagnon nearing the early evening. I somewhere in all this riding did find the time to roost the 52nd:

I wanted to find the airport and do some power passes to see how the throttlebodies where doing with the new pump. I didn't have any luck finding the strip even after I asked this fellow, French speaker only, who seemed mighty surprised I found his little camp tucked away in the alders here:

He was making me think the air strip was located back to the East and on the South side of the road just a few kms from where his camp was, I think he was just ass backwards or half lit. I found the only good turn back to the South and heading on not knowing what to expect, I figured out quickly that it didn't seem like the airport was going to be on an uphill slope but I figured what the hell it was getting dark and I should be finding a good place to sleep and finding a high spot may help me find the air strip in the morning so I continued on my way climbing up towards some towers and then came upon this cool lookout/firetower thingy and checked it before I headed on up. Seemed a little worn but strong enough, it was cold too, even more so up at the top, gotta be 90'+, down the chute mule down there in the dark somewhere:

Made a little mark for future visitors crazy enough to climb up this old rickety thing, climb it if you dare:

I was there, really:

What I was really after, I don't really like this camera much compared to my old one:

The view looking up:

After climbing back down the clouds that I'd seen from the crow's nest convinced me to put up the green hut to avoid the rain I was sure to see, I'd been riding through the stuff throughout the day in and out. I had smartly brought a care package from Fremont that made it a little nicer cold evening, ice not required for cooling to nice drinking temperatures:

Snug as a bug in the super shack, felt weird to be in a tent for the first time this trip. Nice to go to sleep out of the wind and to some nice tunes:

The good news is the super cot fits perfect in the tent and the nice little beach pad I'd picked up in SpringField at the BassPro worked like a top(hehe Mary) spreading out the weight nicely of the cot keeping it from digging into the floor but on a negative note the stupid footprint I ordered for the used tent I bought didn't have any pegs so I was san FP that night without having the pegs. I slept great and was planning to wake early with the sun and climb back up to the nest to document a nice Quebec sunrise and scan the area for the airport. Good to be in the tent tonight, oh and it didn't even rain when I'm ready for it.

The 5th coming up in the next installment...
Old 09-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #214
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

5th the long day

I woke up the next morning and it was cold enough it took some serious effort to leave my warm bag and get dressed to climb the tower again for the sunrise pictures. I was awake but to slow getting out and ready to get the picture that I really wanted but I went to the top anyway to look around for the air strip. The morning shots:

Up top too late for the nice shot, the mule and the green hut small over to the left:

The same look from the night before looking down the chute:

You could see a long ways off:

From below at the campsite looking at the tower:

The all weather layout, it works well minus the vestibule and the footprint:

When I was up in the tower I saw what could be a airstrip along with some cottages and loaded all my gear and went to check around and low and behold I found the strip coming in from the back side. I made a couple of hot passes, I didn't want to burn off too much fuel running, but I never could muster the magical 104 that I'd seen before. Only got in the upper eighties, must be the heavy load or those worn throttlebodies?:
The wide open strip and speed reading:

Soon enough it was time to continue on the down the road and find the next fuel and some food for myself. I was wondering if I should have done so many passes on the strip after a little while and then sure enough the fuel stop that I needed appeared:

With the little pinic camping area I recognized from some many other RRs:

Nice lady made me a neat little egg/ham/cheese breakfast sandwich and some hot coffee for 10 bucks, I'm still out in the sticks:

Filled up again, the both of us, we took off toward Manic Cinq, the big famous looking Hydro Quebec speical wanting to get a tour of the place. Had a nice little smooth top gravel road section down to the big dam and big it is. I like big stuff, so here you go the dam photo montage:
The well protected top:

Coming down the curvy section towards the bottom,

supposed to be really neat looking at night lit up, a guy told me it used to be bathed in different colors of lights in the arches but now its all white lights-would have been something to see it at nightime.
This is where my favorite pano would have been perfect, damn it. Order left to right shot from the bridge:

For a little reference, there is a truck parked at the top to the left of the largest arch and some men doing maintence on the walkway right below the parked truck.

I pulled up to the official looking building and tried to speak with another full French speaker with no luck so he went to go get some help. The guy he found was a super nice security guard name Carl(?) from Baie Comeau who helped me out a bunch and even spoke my language, damn good dam worker:

He gave me some cold bottled water explained that I just missed the guided tours that ended Sept 1st and helped me track down a spare tube that I wanted to carry running the TT road later on. We talked for well over an hour and he helped arrange a Baie Comeau motorsports dealer to leave the tube at a Petro Canada station since they where going to be closing at noon and it was a long holiday weekend coming up. Nice to have this insurance and even better having a native speaker working the phones helping me out:

We had a quick smoke break before Carl's lunch and me taking off towards Baie Comeau for my spare tube. He's looking into starting to ride some, I got a good pic of him on the mule. Thanks so much CarL :

I went on down the road and directly came up on the next station around the corner and met two other state's BMW riders, one Lawerence (ltkrs on this site) on a GS and Jeff on a big tanked GT heading up to Lab City for a quick weekend trip. They where having lunch at the place by the fuel stop so I joined them for desert since I just recently had my little late breakfast sandwich. Their rigs:

I wonder how they did on the road...

I passed a more normal sized Manic 2 or something or other I believe on the road to the South:

I went on down the road toward the sea and turned to go into Baie Comeau proper towards the ferry and came upon a gaint ALCOA plant with large docking facilities for loading or unloading ships:

Went down by the ferry and found a cool adventure boat on the hard, I think I would like this type of travel with a little practice:

Found a place for some tent pegs here:

Went down to the local Wal-Mart to get the ipod to fire back up, I hadn't listened to music since mid New Foundland and was ready for some more traveling music, it was good. I also replaced a lost little wide angle mirror that was on the left mirror and fell off somewhere along the way. Found the right Petro Canada station and picked up my package and moved on down the coast looking for the next big road that would take me back to the Northland. I stopped at a helpful tourist information booth here and got some helpful English map/booklets about the roads I was going to be taking, it took a total of 4 little books to cover the ground I was looking at. Very helpful lady in here:

I got loaded up with paper maps and seemingly impossible kms to travel according to the nice lady and I heading off down the way towards Tadoussac. I was humming along 138 W and before you know it I came upon a johnny law going East that abruptly turned around and threw the lights on, I being the good foreign tourist I am pulled over as soon as I saw him coming about. He came up beside me and quickly said something in French and then followed by some English talking about the high rate of speed I was running. I played as stupid as I could, next quickly came license and registration and I deftly fumbled for just my passport hoping it would suffice. He reviewed it and again stated the speed of 123 km in a 90 km zone hoping I would do what I don't know. I just said that "Its bad" and he gave me my pp back and told me to slow down, and I thanked him with my best Merci Bucoo and it was done.

I came up on some small town shortly after my run in with the law and decided to pull over and have a look around. Nice little falls to the ocean:

The author once more, I really hate these specs but at least I can see:

I walked around a little bit and found something going on down below that looked like trouble, something for MR BMW MAN to help out with I think. Seems a family traveling had their pet dog get stuck out in the falls and the animal was scared to jump across the rocks to safety. The dog was in obvious distress and its family members even more so. Not realizing the my services where required yet I walked slowly down to the situation taking pictures as I went:

From this point on the swinging bridge one can see barely a dog in the main channel of water and a person trying to coax the animal to safety and other on the opposite side showing support.
Closer look here showing some more of the predicament, one of the dog's owners is sitting the shallow rushing water trying to reach the dog across from a swift deeper cut in the lower falls that she is unable to traverse on the very slick rocks to rescue the dog. I along with the girls mother show up to offer assisantance and a plan is devised to take the leash and form a little human chain with myself as the anchor to keep from little the women get swept off the slick rocks into the sea. We had enough reach to snag the dog's collar and pull him to safety. I hold tightly on his collar until the family members get back to safety and all is well, no one hurt besides the dog's pride and him getting in over his head a little, he'll live to fight another day:

MR BMW MAN'S work is done here, and all is well. This is that spot:

Those falls once more:

I was starting to get hungry and made it down to Tadoussac in the early cool evening. I found me a nice busy seafood place that looked promising so I bit and it was good. The place was so busy I needed to sit across from another solo customer who turned out to be a German fellow living in Montreal and then soon enough another stag traveler, Tania N orginally from New Zealand and now living and working in Montreal, showed up and we where 3 and enjoyed sharing stories and dinner, the latter having to watch us first 2 while she waited, I felt a little bad but was very hungry.
This is not lobster but closely related:

I need tools and protection for this stuff, thank Tania for the picture:

Desert was tasty too, still all less than half of the hotel I didn't need:

After the wonderful dinner I wanted some wifi and the place was the hostel down the road before the free ferry that was a pot smoker's heaven. It was jammed back and I stay on the net for a while before deciding to head North in the cold night and stay warm with the gerb while I burned what was left in the tank on the way to Saguenay. I would ride for a while until I got too tired then I pull off the road a little ways and lay down in full gear and sleep until I got to cold and then plug in again and ride some more till I got tired and repeat. I made it to 24 gas around 6am and then found a Horton's and warmed up good with some donut holes and milk. Was good to cover some ground and work my way North towards the TT road. I was still trying to meet up with the group that was headed that way.

More in the next tomorrow maybe...
Old 09-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #215
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Mr BMW Man

Hey Super Hero! The man of many masks. Good job with the dog. Have no fear! Mr BMW Man is here! Your the man John. Looks like you and the Mule are having a great time. Hope you get to meet up with the group for the TT. That sounds like an adventure in itself. Keep the posts coming. Very entertaining. Be careful and have a great time in the North Country.
SmilinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #216
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,487
Great stuff! So glad we're benefiting from your willingness to spend the time to leave the road, wander around, and discover. The fire tower pics and story were priceless.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #217
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinJoe
Hey Super Hero! The man of many masks. Good job with the dog. Have no fear! Mr BMW Man is here! Your the man John. Looks like you and the Mule are having a great time. Hope you get to meet up with the group for the TT. That sounds like an adventure in itself. Keep the posts coming. Very entertaining. Be careful and have a great time in the North Country.
I do what I can especially for the pretty girls to help their dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkins
Great stuff! So glad we're benefiting from your willingness to spend the time to leave the road, wander around, and discover. The fire tower pics and story were priceless.
No problem that's what I try to do, glad your liking this one
Old 09-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #218
PSYCLOPS
Diduseedasizeofdatchickin

Oddometer: 1,764
Hey John,

Great report man. Love the bar fight! I'm learnin' so much about guerilla/stealth camping from you. The firetower setup looked awesome.

Thanks for writing your report, I'm lovin' it.

PSYCLOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #219
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Six of September

This was a travel day making time to the roads up North, it more or less officially started at Saguenay where I warmed a bit a the local Tim Horton's and got set to make some miles. Riding through the night is always tough but when the sun comes up so does my next wind typically. It was cold but I made some changes to my gear and got set up right for the ride ahead. Passed quite a few cruisers and HD traveling south after spending some time at Lake Saint Jean I suppose, lots of touristy places in the area along with lots of farm ground. I made good time on 167 North and got quite a bit warmer than what it had been in a long time it seemed. I rode past the last gas until Chibougamau and turned back for around 15 miles to load up for the ride up to the North Rd. Kinda sucked but after seeing the SOS call box signs and checking the Garmin's information on fuel I figured I'd better turn back now.

I eventually had to pull over for a piss break and ended up pulling off at an under consturction rest/information area that was just about done. I heard a familiar buzz and realized it was some bikes just as they passed the turnoff for the yet to open rest area. I waved as the pair passed and I heard them cut them down and sure enough they came back around and we had a nice visit for sometime. Two guys from down South in Quebec I think riding a pair of late model KLRs who had been on a long weekend holiday loop up North of their homes, Luke and Nicholas here, nice fellows newer to adv riding set up with good bikes for it:

They where both diesel mechanics and we talked about riding an all sorts of important stuff, they filled me in on some unknown valuable information. One of the only cops in the area pulled in while we were talking and headed South, good news was that the woman officier was the only one who routinely patrolled the road so I was cleared for takeoff in good shape. I adjusted the warmth factor and sped away to the next gas station and some lunch.

I've been getting decent at finding the local wifi and pride myself on finding some high speed stuff. I'd stopped at the first station/resturant/hotel and inquired and was met with its for custormers and I replied I will take my lunch and fuel here for the wireless code and I was set once more just outside Chibougamau, the gateway to the North Rd. I did a little more quick research on the North and JBR roads km stuff and such before I loaded heavy on fuel which turned out I didn't need because of the fuel stop at Nemiscau.
I had my lunch first, relish again not so bad:

Then I came outside and loaded my secret weapon Turtle Pac fuel tank, one those cursourary buys of the trip way back earlier this year that I thought I couldn't live without, it works great for hauling fuel and folding up nice when not. I just placed it on top of the computer's pelican case and lashed it tight and all was well with around 13+/-gallons hauling:

Around 5 to 5 1/2 extra gallons of life-blood for the mule. She carries it so well, I hardly notice and it seems to handle better on the loose gravel I think.

Earlier on my way up to this town I'd passed one of those crazy assed pedal pushers moving the same way and now she had pulled up for a lite snack, I have the upmost respect for these individuals and what they can do, simply amazing and quite crazy I might add, I almost just can't imagine-big balls or ovaries in this case.
Malin was an early 20 something Swedish girl out riding alone across Canada, she snowboards and works at the resorts in the winter and rides the bike in the warmer months. I enjoyed talking to her and questioning her about how she camps, how far she rides, and such and just amazed at what some people can do with their legs and minds.

Tough&cool girl

At this point in the trip I was getting a little concerned with the front tkc that had been new at the start but was wearing thin in some areas and had me thinking a little more about it than normal, seems enough, we shall see, gravel should not wear it out as fast anyhow right?

I topped off with some extra cash at a local bank and then headed for the famed North Rd and had a picture at the turnoff for it:

Left a little mark here that you will have to look a little to find, not in the picture above but very warm. I was ready to rip, couple cars came in behind me so it would be a little dust racing going on here later.
It's not so far, kilometers aren't nothing:

This road has some interesting surface conditions and changes quite a bit from section to section really dependent on amount of traffic and the grader operator who has the power to make or break a high speed gravel road by how he lays it out especially in the turns. This was a fast road except from around 110km through 170km where the operator must have been high, drunk, or just a flunkie blade hand or all of the above that has a lot to learn about a finely bladed road surface; good thing I got the mule and it really dosen't matter either way. Some of the areas where like powder snow with scatter medium sized rock, the throttle and holding a groove where the best bet. I blasted up this road as fast as a somewhat sane person on a loaded GS would, I have to check the Garmin for facts but I ran it about as hard as a loaded GS person should I think and traveling alone did nothing but help. You can lay out a dust storm on this road like no other and chasing down cars and trucks is like being a sucide jockey but loads of fun because no one wants to get lapped and dusted by the next joe. I chased down 4 of them and some raced for a little, at least I got one in the watered down areas that controlled the dust, the others where full on race mode to get around. It also seemed like a game with the on coming traffic, especially if it was a work truck from the new project, if you could see them from a long ways off then each of you would hammered it blowing the dust and hang on and I'd flash my lights like crazy after passing and then hugging the right side for dear life. It was fun and interesting to say the least. I didn't set a foot down hardly until I came to the jobsite for the project getting ready to divert the mighty Rupert River. I stopped at the guard shack and tried to marry this security lady's:

daughter, she sounded like quite the catch with 4 languages and all, we visited for almost and hour before I was off to the Rupert River to check the flow before they cut it down for good, this thing rips right along:

Myself, many think I am from Quebec for some reason, it must be my lapel pin or my little orange hat :

More of it:

I think it would be a fun little run:

Looked important enough for a picture:

My full self, sans distal lower extremities, courtesy of another Rupert River viewer:

I think there must have been a dead body in one of the dumpsters because it looked like the swarm of flies turned day into night in a 10' radius around the dumpster.

I flogged it on down the road and was starting to hunt fuel or unload my turtle pac, not what I was really wanting to do. I fell in line behine some cars heading out to the known fuel base out at Nemiscau or Nemaska (I get confused). I came upon some local ditch divers, doesn't work too well out here:

I pulled into the fuel stop with the reserve light well on, seems I can't keep my right hand off the throttle hard which leads to the poor mileage the mule manages but with considerbly less on road time, its a trade I'll take, speed is fun.
Had a little show and tell, people off the beaten path seem to just love Garmins and motorbikes. Bunch of good kids out here, friendly and they all love getting a chance to climb aboard while I have a candybar dinner:

I got set and blasted the remaining easy section out to the James Bay Rd proper. I gotten some info from the station operator that a group of three riders had come through that morning so I wasn't that far off it seemed. The North Rd in the early evening time, nice sunsets up here:

The speed that works well for me and then some:

The wheel really wants to keep spinning and going straight.

I got to the pavement at the JBR and took 5 and logged some waypoints and such just enjoying the early evening but starting to tire from my earlier riding done this morning:

There was even evidence of some very large game urine marks on the road surface:

You get dumped out at km 274 from the North Rd and the next fuel is open 24 hrs at km 381 so between these kms the rain started and I began to really tire and didn't at all feel like pitching the tent so I finally made 381 km and asked the gas guy if he had a barn or shed or something for me to lie out in. He gave me the shithouse or what ever they are doing pumping their somewhat treated wastewater into a septic system or whatever it was. I couldn't complain and put my free ear plugs from the Churchill falls tour to good use. I feel hard asleep and enjoyed every minute of it in my dry somewhat warm shithouse, I even left the light on, just covered up tight in my bag on my little cot wedged between the wall and some septic structure here:

And it was good, didn't smell anything worse than me.

More coming up in a bit
Old 09-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #220
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCLOPS
Hey John,

Great report man. Love the bar fight! I'm learnin' so much about guerilla/stealth camping from you. The firetower setup looked awesome.

Thanks for writing your report, I'm lovin' it.

Good to hear from you Philip. Thanks man.

I can sleep damn near anywhere, just keep your machete or hatchet below you pillow and all is well or just say screw it and go to sleep, I've never once had to use the weapon, more worried about the larger critters and such.

Hope to get to one of those DFW GTGs sometime this month before I get way South.

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 06:23 PM
Old 09-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #221
skibum69
slave to gravity

rock on!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #222
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

7th

Got up to dryer weather than I went to bed with and got things sorted and before I got packed I met up with one of the members of the Trans Tiaga Team running the route, I forgot this guys name but he'd said that the rest of the group where having a rest day in Radisson and that he had to get South for work the next morning and he was looking at the 12 hour ride coming up.
The rider:

My dry camp the morning after:

The building on the left is where the real shit turner was working and then the water came over to my hut for some more special treatment.

The free dry place to camp at km 381 JBR Rd

I got loaded and fueled and headed on up the JBR with cool tempertures dressed well for the road. Somewhere along the way I dropped a gear and pulled 5th for an unknown lenght of time that cut into my fuel supply and damn near forced me to the secret weapon turtle tank. I passed the road for the turn off for the TT road and then the one for Chisasibi and then saw the group of riders heading south for the TT I assumed, so much for the day of rest. I was near on vapors since I ran the 5th so hard for awhile and needed some new fuel and some food. I got to Radisson and the life blood for the main tank of the mule and had a nice pizza lunch before heading out to attack the TT and catch the others playing a little sweep action.

Not Alaska but North to Radisson, its a nice fast road with no one worrying about what your up to as far as I could tell:

The lunch at the one and maybe only in town:

only half, the rest was bagged for later on, best to eat in the bar for superfast internet connectivity:

I went looking for a sticker and didn't find much, but did find something little for the mule's boxes so I got that and took off for the TT road back down the JBR a ways until the turnoff. For some reason I got a sudden urge and waited around a bit at the start and documented some of the distances to such and such and some signs that didn't mean much to me.
The signs you should see at the start of the TT. Its crazy to think but the TT is longer than the whole JBR and its a true gravel travel unlike the Haul RD and the TLH, and even the Dempster if I remembered right had a few small sections (I'm thinking of pavement in the wayside towns you pass over, maybe the Dempster would be the closest to TT then) whatever. The TT is a long road that you have to really plan your fuel especially if your not picking up more at the end and you twist as hard as I do. Long and remote and far from anything make it more of a risk than any of the other big gravels out there that I'm aware of.

** Out of sequence but screw it; for those that really want something cool: I heard today what would be totally awesome way to save you the back haul is to get one of Air Saguenay's Otters to ferry the bikes either to Schefferville and then rail road or right of way down to Esker or go straight to Wabush/LC area, if you had a small group then it would keep the costs reasonable and would be a cool ass adventure for some group going this way and wanting an alternate route out for a loop.

The beginning of the long one:

With the local native tounge:

This could be bad, I'm not sure:

This one has got to be bad:

Getting out there a little ways:

Farther here:

More than this though since you pass straight throught the bad sign 666 too to get to the proper end.

Pretty soon I was ready again and then not and a nice little nap and then off all in. It was soon evident that no other roost single tracks where showing in the gravel so I knew it was myself so at least they could pick me out of the ditch if I screwed up too bad. This road like almost all gravel roads is again dependent on the traffic load and the blade hands, seems to me the more experienced hands are up on the TT when compared to the North RD or maybe its just the quarries are lots better up North on the TT, who knows.
One of the most unexpected and unknown things to me on the TT is a cool bridge in the middle of no where here with fast flowing water below:

Left a little mark for you to find on the North railing. Crazy they went to the effort here, I was impressed:

Stop wherever you like, there is little traffic other than some hydro traffic closer to the dams that the workers leave near of some of the local Indian population on the move. Got a little farther and had to make the first fuel dump, seems this is one of the longest sections because who have to come South out of Radisson so far and then start the proper TT road and then 286km to first fuel; so its ~ km 617 at Radisson then down to km 544 on JBR and then out to km 286 on TT and I burn fuel fast on the big roads and the fast gravel. I'd have to look at the Garmin and the flags to see how I did it exactly but I ran the main tank out before the first fuel and dumped fuel here:

I think I spilled more than I was worth and almost wiped out Money Penny's signature on the tank from all the spillage I tried dumping it with just the 90* elbow and that was a little tricky hitting the funny fuel opening on the tank. I got enough in because I made the first fuel stop with plenty of extra but was a little worried by the sign I saw posted on the fuel shack:

I was able to get some fuel with no extra charge after posted hours with no problem.
Bad moon rising:

Turns out there is one camp and then another within a KM or so farther, a seaplane base, and both of these camps sell fuel at a high price. I stopped at the first and saw a phone out front on the deck so I called a pal to BS and plan a party when I get back to OK and then talked with my dad for a little before seeing someone rummaging around inside the first camp that seemed near abanonded when I had first pulled in, seems its busy season is in the winter months when the caribou are much farther South than current position. Mike was the wild little wolfman/Frenchman who was running the show at the camp while Lucie was out running some errands in Radisson or somewhere else. Mike was homesteading the internet for his wolf observation project, he's eccentric but passionate about what he's doing and I understand, but this guy is hard core. His site and photo account, lots of the photos are great:
http://www.peupleloup.info/
photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peupleloup/

Little wirely looking but that's what you get for living off beans in the bush:

Nice guy doing what he loves, maybe I'm eccentric and don't even know it.

Said he can live off $600 dollars of beans for a year in the bush, he's been in the TT area for 3 years now and has a bush camp set up and observes the wolves with no former biology training other than its his life's passion. We talked for hours and he showed me some of his photos and his website and talked about life and appetites and I ended up giving him my left over half peperoni pizza and he set me up with free room and hot shower that was great since I hadn't had one since Churchill Falls. I slept well and clean here:

My nice little room:
Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #223
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

8th of September

Got up a little later than normal and got ready and put everything in order and headed East for the end of the road. Played just a little before I left, hard to get these just right:

more now to the nipple level:

What I was after I think:

I'm off down the road now. Made the easy jump to Mirage Outfitter camp

just down the road a short bit and was a little too early for lunch but was able to score a nice sandwich, drink, cheeses, snacks, and a super desert for a bargain rate here in the North country:

Yummy desert for a pre lunch time:

I didn't figure I needed to top off again since I had the serect weapon and I'd got solid word that fuel was at the end for sure so I was set to go with just the full tummy.
This is the replacement cook who was usually at a camp location farther to the North, nice lady who I enjoyed talking with:

Some of the dead wildlife from the area:
Don't ask:

The caribou and some fish:

This would kill Mike, not sure if he knows about it or not:

Some of the not dead, but immortalized for the better:

Me playing the part:

Almost to the last hydro bit:

I made my way from TT 358 km to Brisay and had a little look around before taking on off down the road, here you get to cross over the intakes and overflow gates for the power plant. They blasted out a hell of a lot of rock to make this all happen:

Also I went up by the high tower up on top spot and found one of the best places to camp IMHO at the top in this neat little weather proof enclosure with an awesome view of the generation plant below:

I was up there too, proof, happy little sucker here:

Little frenchie signs telling and better yet showing about the layout:

Good views from up here too with no pay binoculars:

One more off to the South:

Water just runs from dam to dam to dam to dam to maybe some other dam and then to the ocean, then to the clouds, and then back as rain. Nice little cycle but its all at a cost isn't it...oh well. Lots of water up here.

The mule striking a pose infront of the resevior that feeds Brisay generation complex:

and another from the good camping spot, not many people come up here probably other than the occansional hydro working looking for a nice spot to fool around with a co-worker, the alders damn near took the place over, recent cleanup done:

The amount of rock work involved is hard to fathom:

same bypass channel:

I wanted to move on and get to the end proper however that campsite would have been perfect for me, had a warming effect from the plexi glass encloursure and a nice door to keep the rain, cold, and errant bears out.

I was starting to get to the bottom of the main tank after I passed this mark:

I dumped the poor girl trying get turned around for a gravel pit where I thought it would be best to fill from the spare, only drop on this road and it should not have happened, nice and lite with an empty main tank
and beides everyone knows boxers don't fall flat on their sides, sometime upside down though. I like them lots:

This time I cut up one of my big necked water bottles to make a funnel and a fuel dumper out of the other half of the water bottle to take the top half off the turtle pac tank to keep from spilling so much, it worked well enough:

Filled up enough again I took off and somehow missed the triple 6 km maker photo op so I kept on and then saw two 6x6s on the side of the road that I just had to check out, dueces (I think these are also called) are cool, these had been through some tough times and been canabalized somewhat.

One of them had a painted out bumper sticker on the back that I just had to reproduce on the door and add a little of my own here,:

Old door paint:

And right by these two trucks towards the lake is the ADV shack of the TT road that I'd seen from one other RR on this road, seems they used a filter to make it pink of something like it. Fun to find this by luck, another good spot to camp with plenty of fire barrels to keep you warm:

Crazy ass construction out of 4x4 blocks it looked like:

Got a new ADV stove in side for the shack to sign off on now:

Bunch of old appliances rusting away from where they came is a funny idea, maybe an old camp gutted everything, even had a drill head laying about:

I got back to the main road and heading on in the last few Km to have a look around and find some fuel to top back off for the trip back out. The first camp on the left is the Leaf River Outfitter camp I believe and its on the same road as the fuel depot ran by Air Saguenay, call Lisa at 1-418-780-4073 for the high dollar stuff. I got a guy to come over and power up the pumps and I ended up with $60+ of the stuff. Dinner at Air Saguenay camp was going to be another $35 so I thought I would hold off for now and think about it. They said a case of pepsi was $65 because of the flying in of almost everything here. I tried to get a ferry flight up in the single otter but they wern't too interested in that so I decided to look around at the other camps a bit. I checked out their planes before I took off, I really like these things too: Behold the venerable single turbine-(I think) otter,
The bike would be a close fit through those doubles:

Turbo beaver, the flying kind, backed in:

And one of the best ones over at the gravel strip, one of my favorite all time adv planes, the mighty 208 Caravan on amphibs:

I came up on Caribou Adventure Camp run by a real nice fellow name Eddy (or ie?) who has a Triumph Tiger at home in Montreal that dosen't get ridden much. He invited me to dinner and gave me a free bed and offerred the shower house if I wanted it. Too nice, he was awlful surprised I road the bike this far and maybe that's why I got a freebie. I learned alot about the major caribou hunts just hanging out in the place for an hour or so. This place:

One of his summer help students, PL, had caught a nice sized lake trout right before the end of the fishing season on Sept 7 that got cooked up this evening for a wonderful dinner with a nice salad and some good cold beer I brought along:

Afterwards I went to listen to the evening startagey session with Eddy's 8 outer camps that are full of hunters gunning for their big prize and Eddy is waiting on the Leaf River herd to make its showing, this is big business with big money and you have to have some kill to keep everyone happy doing this stuff.
PL and I went to go play some evening pool in the gamehouse. Turns out PL is a competive Honda 450 4-stoke class rider in Quebec who holds his own. I had a nice time shooting pool and drinking beer at the end of the TT road:

Who would have thought you could do this out in the boonies:

Fun way to spend the evening after a day of riding the most remote road in North America, dosen't seem that damn remote afterall with beer and pool:

I was ready for this warm bed and slept long and hard, good times at the end of the road:
The morning after the fact:

That front tire is starting to look a little bare to me...

Some more tomorrow if I find the time, need to go to bed tonight and wake early to finish my awesome tour of the hydro plant here in Radisson, in French no less, I better study up this evening.

Later on then...
Old 09-11-2009, 03:12 AM   #224
skibum69
slave to gravity

you're killing me! Off to more hanging in my harness....
Old 09-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #225
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
TT Road Veteran!

Hey Superhero! You made it to the end of the road. Now what? Where does one go when he reaches the end of his road? Guess you pull a Forrest Gump and turn around. Your like the Forrest Gump of bikes! Forrest never got the girl either! Just kiddin. The babe pics are great! keep those coming as well. Im thinking you should of did a little camping with the Swedish cyclist! Looks like your having a great time Man. Keep the posts coming! They are so entertaining. The self portraits are funny as hell. I dont think the orange hat made you look like were from Quebec. Think it was those funny ass glasses! Be careful out John and watch out for the Moose!
SmilinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote