Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #781
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
So, tell us your secret... how did you manage to make the French guys talk in English?
"pardon- excusa ma, parlay vou Aouglish?" (phoenectically spelled of course)

I'm almost ready for FG Just need my Old Par and I'm fluent

This guy was a crazy Colombian who was forceing me Old Par trying to make my Spanish better, had he only known it only works with French

btw he's got a nice semi automatic weapon tuck in underneath that shirt, its drink or die time I can make friends with some of the bad guys even
Old 08-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #782
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

January two eleven

It was good to get a nice rest after yesterday's riding. I was getting a little nasty and used the canal to get freshed up a bit after getting up around. It had a good flow and the mosquitos where not so bad in the morning time as I was washing up. Turned out to be a fine spot on the canal just across the way from a paved road on the other side of a thick lane of trees giving me good cover from anyone happening to drive by.

The set up canal gates just upstream set to a nice flow, I tried to see if I could catch any fish but again didn't have any bites in any canal yet I tried fishing in.

Later that morning, as more often than not if I didn't get packed and gone early, some guy came milling around cutting across the tree lane seperating my spot from the road not more than ~100 yards behind my tent. He was a little startled to see me set up nearby and he came over for a visit. We talked the best we could with my little Spanish skillset and I determined he was some type of farm machine operator taking a little break. He hung around while I was packing up very interested in all the gear and how I got it all to fit on the bike. Don't have his name written down but he was a nice fellow and I told him I would come over and see this equipment he was talking about once I got loaded up.

He took off back to his work and I finished packing up and came back down to the control gates on the canal and picked up the road heading pararell along the canal. I immediately could see his equipment was some late model New Holland rice choppers on tracks. I couldn't understand what he was waiting for and why he wasn't getting things lubed up and start chopping, he was just standing around with his partner
Straight out of Brazil imported here:

Neat little boarding step setup to the platform:

For clearing this setup for the mud, although they weren't running mudhawgs in the back this babies where set up nice for rice.

Turns out that these guys weren't the operators but the security guards, everybody's got a job to do here and these guys where waiting for their relief and the machines were as well. These guys had it rougher than I did as they said they sleep under this cover set up:

Looks hot to me but you got to do something to stay away from the mosquitos, I even take up a little smoking-seems to help keeping the little bastards away

I got on the move again anxious to get down to that South point and see what I could find on today's ride. I was getting close to the coast once again as I headed South passing by Caobas Nuevas on my way down to the larger city Manzanillo situated on the coast. I was able to skirt around the edge of the big city and work my way near the coast as I made my way along. I went through San Franciso and along the route I ended up seeing this interesting roadside billboard:

For reference Granma is the name of the ship the rebels used to travel from Mexico to invade Cuba to start the revolution. Little interesting as it appears Fidel takes a jab at Bush

I came into anothe costal town of Ceiba Hueca and just passed on through this and many lesser villages. As my belly started letting me know it was about time for a break from riding I pulled into the next sizable town of Media Luna, set just a little inland from the coast. I did a little loop down the coast to see the unimpressive beach and the came back up and found a nice little outdoor cafeteria to have a little brunch. I sampled as couple of new beers for me here on the island, the Maybe was mucho better but the Cacique would quench a heavy thirst

Ordering here was a little complicated for me as the place's little menu board had stuff that I didn't recognize before, ordering beer was my safest bet My first order just got me a cheese biscuit that was a little tough getting down. My second order I was able to get some mystery meat to dramatically improve the palatablity. I manage well enough, the beers worked fine. Here's my second biscuit/morning roll:

I think the lady running the place was getting a kick out of me, drinking in the morning eating various rolls and trying to speak poor Spanish coming in on a loaded up dirty bike The music was blasted and one of my favorite Spanish songs "Panamericana" came across the mix and she played it more than twice while I was hanging out at the cafeteria:

Right across the street was a cool old cabover 4x4 with a pto winch as well, one of these with late model engine and trans would make a hell of feed truck It was really fun getting a chance to see a lot of the old soviet iron HD trucks around the island

After filling up on food and leaving before my fill of beer I worked my way nearer to that South point before coming up on a little roadside attraction a few kilometers South of Belic. Seems they had a little museum as well but I skipped that part and went for the large outdoor impressive replica here:

It's kind of hard to image but I was under the understanding that Fidel and possibly up to 55 (no check that 82 revolutionists check link for more:http://latinamericanhistory.about.co...p/09granma.htm ) motored from Mexico in a boat like this. They really where some crazy bastards to pile on that thing, is a miracle the revolution even started at all and we know so famously now where not eaten by sharks Interesting how things turned out in history, looks like a person could easily produce an alternate start and quick end to all like "Inglorious Basterds"

At least this one was kinda setup to be amphious

Was a neat model and lets you appreaciate some of the hardships they all went through dealing with a very cramped ship.

Fidel, Raul, Ernesto, and company landed on the original Granma yacht on the coast very nearby this model. Where it all began on island, hollowed ground in these parts. One of the most famous Communist Vessels in the World Lots of history written about this boat.

In just a little while longer I reached my goal Cabo Cruz, the southern most point of Cuba and site of yet another famous(assumed) landing quite a few more years earlier than the Granma's.

Back in the days of the fresh 'New World' discoveries. This was a very pretty site and had a most beautiful rock light house, again off limits I enjoyed the area and went about getting some photos taken.

They had a very long natural breakwater stretching off into distance from the southwest.

The area was made up of a minor military post and some civilian houses scattered about:

Cabo Cruz's lighthouse, one prettiest in all of Cuba that I saw

I went down as far to the South as I could get, got off and had a look around and even got invited to join a small family's beach lunch. I politely declined as I just eating a couple hours earlier.

A little rocky but a good swimming area with calm water due to the excellent natural breakwater:

Hanging out:

It was a little warm duing the day as they cold front earlier in the week had done passed the island.

I gotta good scalp tan going on

I asked a local about how long that boat had been beached and he said just a few years Looked like a relic to me but they used the heck out of what they have avaliable around here He said I could christen the ship and took one for himself

They had a little fish farm set up out behind the breakwater:

Cabo Cruz's pilot boat:

I took off a little ways a milled about the beach roads in the area:

Had an old cave on the bottom part here:

kinda thinking it was military related as up above on the bluff they had a old deserted military area with excellent position where I took a look around before leaving the area, kinda funny camo colors:

I had to back track for a couple of kilometers and did my best to try and find an outlet to the East that would let me stay nearer the coast. There was a crazy network of roads in the area and I got out in some way off the beaten track places showing up in some very rural farming villages but loving the riding

On one of the little tracks I came up on a muddy looking mess where the road was flooded for 50 yds or better before it entered the stream proper. I took the time to wade this out as I was far from interested in doubling back at this point. My efforts payed off as I discovered a firm bottom and a good line across the deeper main stream area, got my boots full but wasn't surpised by what was underneath the dirty water

The approach was a little slippery but not too bad:

I road miles of semi jungle track like this and every now and then would pop out in a clearing for animals and maybe an old house or two in the boonies.

What the garmin showed and what was possible where two very different stories, I tried to keep a straight as possible track but other times I felt like I was going in circles. It was tricky but not so bad and was rewarded with some of the funniest off road sections since far in the West.

I climbed higher and higher in those same sierras where Fidel plotted his revolution and the riding just got better and better the higher I got, there were tons of challenging tracks out in the small mountains.

A little storm was brewing as I hopped it wouldn't dump a bunch of rain and make my perfect riding a lot messier:

The weather thankfully held off and I got to continue my most excellent ride through the foothills:

After getting near the small community of Duran and then veering off away from I finally got dumped back out on the pavement and the main somewhat paved improved route across the Southeast end along the sole of the island. Coming out of the hills and back to the flatlands of the coast on the hard road:

I came into the town of Pilon and sorted some fuel and ended up spending some quality time talking to a broom salesman try to sell me one I think It was an interesting conversation to say the least and I was finally relieved of the talk by another bystander with a better understanding of English. I didn't end up buy a broom but gave the guy some chewing gum

I kept on going along the coast remembering back from the Austrain bicycling pair over by Vinales talking about Sierra Mar resort being a good bang for your buck after traveling for a while and needed a nice break. I was keeping my eyes peeled for the place and asking locals here and there along the way no finding out much of anything. I enjoyed the coastal ride and was thankful I wasn't on a pedal bike
This is the main road along the South stretch of coast and it got lots worse, closer I got to Santiago.

Not having any luck finding the previously mentioned resort I started scoping out potential camp sites on the beach. I pulled out on this one section and it looked good and as I buzzed around doing some tricky loaded beach riding I found local's place a little closer than I cared. Was a nice area otherwise:

Keep heading down along the coast as the sierra came right near the edge and made for a nice enjoyable up and down ride heading East.

I finally found me a place right near a river coming out of the mountain meets the ocean, I cut of the coast road down a small track on the westside of the bridge and headed out to the beach to my spot, it had plenty of firewood as required as I needed to dry out boots and socks some.

First fire I had in Cuba, very nice sunset that night at the beach, I enjoyed it throughly after a quick skinny dip in a cool ocean, lets just say I hope nobody was watching as I wasn't near at my best I was getting to be a pretty nasty bastard as I hadn't had a proper clothes washing in over a couple of weeks and was a little ripe!

A little tuna es specialal for dinner with some orange soda and some of my first taste of Cuban national bread I bargained with a local for.

Someone's a little serious looking while camping

I bid the sun goodnight and continued on with my little fire on the beach trying to dry my gear and play with sticks enjoying the fire:

My spread for the night:

The morning after doing some sorted and small maintance items on the bike. Very handy carry the beach pad, not only keeps my cot from being too hard on the floor its great for a work place on the ground and for packing up stuff off the nasty ground. Its easy to clean and light weight.

Another fine day in a Special Place down in the books!

If my garmin notes are correct this was my 13th night on island with the moto and I'd covered 4020(oops I thought that seem unsually high, I for got to change my starting Cuba odo from miles to km; I've rode ~2148miles to this point) great miles.

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 08-07-2011 at 08:05 AM
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #783
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,144
hola Johnny, muy bien
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #784
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
One of the interesting things I noticed was the Cuban's water tower construction methods. I have convinced myself that they had designed them to look like weapons of mass destruction because I'm sure the reconnaissance airplanes thought they had to be missile sites or special multi-array radar or something else special military. They could almost pass for alien flying saucer landing posts the way they looked They went to great effort to paint many of these up. This example IIRC was somewhat close to an old airport but man that's some special looking paint theme for a water tower, talk about sucky overhead painting

This style of water tower was throughout the country and with many different paint schemes.
I noticed the water towers in the areas of Romania that I visited were very similar. Somewhere I have some pics of them too because they seemed so strange to me. Maybe they had some standard design engineered in the USSR?

Thanks for picking back up on your report. It looks great!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #785
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,098
Good to see you get this going again Juan. Those Cuban beach photos look mighty fine right now while I'm sitting in cold and rainy Alaska.

When are you headed back down south?

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #786
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
hola Johnny, muy bien
Mucho gracias Senor Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I noticed the water towers in the areas of Romania that I visited were very similar. Somewhere I have some pics of them too because they seemed so strange to me. Maybe they had some standard design engineered in the USSR?

Thanks for picking back up on your report. It looks great!
I'm thinking your correct, there had to be lots of information shared between the two countries. I'm in awe now looking at google earth seeing all the old military installations and cool stuff I never had a clue about while I was in country. The airbases are amazing to check out with lots of underground hangers.

You better stop with your awesome report in that wonderful country up there, I get sucked in to reading about that area. I'll be making a lenghty trip up there one day, lots of hotsprings so I hear

Thanks for following along and the words of encouragement Now get back to work on your own rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Good to see you get this going again Juan. Those Cuban beach photos look mighty fine right now while I'm sitting in cold and rainy Alaska.

When are you headed back down south?
Hola Vincent Well its nice to have a little change in one's life. I know my experience with Alaska was there never seemed to be too many single women around

It really depends on the weather at this point, the cattle my all have to be sold this go around + the high dollar hay. Have to wait and see how much rain can fall between now and late September, its been crazy hot and dry here all summer. Just got a decent rain yesterday, first in a long long time and we needs a whole lot more.

I'd be happy to get down before Oct but who knows...
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #787
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,776
i love it.

Bring that big ass tent down to the altiplano, I'll let you be the big spoon.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #788
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
The approach was a little slippery but not too bad:
It's not that bad...
Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #789
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Incredible!!!

I just found you RR and I have to say that is great. Love the pictures of Cuba and it gives us a different look into what what things are like there. Take care and keep on riding.

Regards
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #790
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,144
Quote:
Mucho gracias Senor Mikey

looking forward to tipping a few with you one of these days, why not head up to Vermont for CroMag Sept 22-25? Suzie and I are panning to be there plus a bunch of others you know from the Soiree
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #791
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

One Three Eleven

Got up to an early morning after sleeping well to the sounds of waves rolling in all night. Wasn't bothered at all yesterday evening by anyone coming through the camp but as I was organizing my gear for the day I saw a local combing the beach and I gave a friendly wave and was returned the same. Organization never stops on this trip and it takes time to stowe each bit of the kit back on the bike:

In this morning's inspection of the bike I discovered a loose bolt on my poor old adventure pipe. It wasn't the pipe itself at least this time but a mounting bolt to the subframe with a nylon lock nut was backing off I tossed the culprit and replaced it for a new(er) one from my spare bolt bag and all was return to normal with the exhaust. I was still having to monkey with the sidestand sans boot grapper thing which was a PITA but it could have been worse, at least I still had the side stand

My old bike had been catching a lot of hell but it was doing a magnificant job of it all From memory all the trouble I'd had on island: One rear flat, a broken off boot sidestand boot grappy(not my fault), a ground down numb on one of the spring holders for the side stand (had been running one for a while with no problems), a faulty side stand safety switch that I disabled in Trinidad.
Not too bad and nothing that left me in much of a pinch.

In this special place it was always at the back of my mind the entire time about major bike failure. I hated the thought of having to negotiate truck transport for the bike and myself from way out in western part of the island to Santiago. Each day I got closer to the East and closer to Santiago the pressure/worries got less and less with each mile. It's not that the people wouldn't help me but it shows just how sucky my Spanish skillset actually was. Even a more serious type of tire failure that couldn't be repaired with a boot or tube would be a real killer as almost no parts for my bike were to be found, I was always looking for a new front tire as the tkc I'd run from OK was starting to look a little thin. Here it's totally unlike other Latin America countries that have well equipped machine shops being way more common and welders all over the place. These countries may not have the factory parts on hand but they have numerous spare parts from various other bikes that can be jury rigged out of the junkyard or even machine new parts from raw stock on hand. Here on the island, especially in the places I was running around, I would only see welders in the larger towns and at larger farming compounds and never saw a full on machine shop although they had to be around somewhere in the big cities and industrial areas but not likely to be in private hands. I asked about junkyards one time and the guy I was talking to just laughed, "There are no such thing as junkyards, we use everything". Another one of my problems was that I was on a fixed limited budget and with no means to getting more funds on the island until meeting up with the ship once again in Santiago at the specified time, and I was always prepared to have enough to pay for that dreadful truck ride East. In short- NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BREAKDOWN

Well today I was getting closer to the planned meeting of the SteelRat and my way off the island and was looking for some really nice R&R since I figured I just about had this one in the bag now. I remembered the Austrain pedal bikers who I'd meet over on the West end near Vinales, they had told me about a cheap deal on an all inclusive resort and I hopped today was the day I would find it. I'd been on the island 13 nights traveling on the bike and in need of a good cleaning of my limited laundry and looking forward to a nice normal hot showing that I'd been missing since the last good one's of Errol Flynn Marina back in Jamaica I'd had a few bucket warm water bucket showers on island but nothing for the last couple of days save for the saltwater bath yesterday and my canal effort attempt at getting cleaned up and absolutely no clothes cleaning, needless to say I was more than a little ripe

I got everything sorted out once again and took off up the little river valley back on to the main road HW 20 heading along the island's southeastern sole. I stopped to take a photo looking back near my last night's campsite on the far side of a silt laden river dumping its fresh water in the Caribbean Ocean:

This highway 20 was a sad excuse of a highway now but at one time this had to be a glorious stretch of south shore tarmac with great elevation changes and pretty vistas and scattered bridge crossings, some quite impressive, over the many rivers seeking out their way to the ocean. But that was then and now that same road along the coast having been under near constant attack from the rains and river runoff from the sierra right at the edge of the North side and opposite the ever constant pounding from the waves of the Caribbean Ocean had led to a road left in disarray. All this coupled with little to no new input of road repairs for a once amazing stretch had led to the track of today that suited me just fine on my little capable motorbike I feel for all the others that don't get such fine transportation means

Example #1 Runoff from the sierra had nearly washed the footing out of this large and long bridge spanning one of those rivers heading to the sea.

It had just a small baricade in my direction heading and a detour leading off the side going down to the river below and climbing back up the opposite valley to the roadway again. I took my photo evidence of the massive failure and along come another tourist looking car, as I sit there near the small baricade the driver casual slows and then proceeds to drive around the small baricade and cross the bridge I readied for the carnage sure to follow this stupid mistake:

Getting ready to fall

Hell he made it afterall, the guy must have been along this stretch before but he did kinda favour that far side:

It didn't look too good to me but I sure I could have made it but the detour was a lot more fun for me crossing the small river below, I wouldn't trust a very big truck on the thing, I sure they use the detour. Taken from down below along the detour track, couple of more big rains or a hurricane and this one might fall down:

And along other stetches you could see the roads former glory:

No guard rails needed here, take care of yourself:

Example #2:
And then you would come on sections where the moutains where trying to marry the sea and destroy the road all together:

Some effort was put into protection a long time ago but it wasn't enough to stop the sea:

Was the best because of so little traffic, I saw a couple more pedal bikers running this stretch, it looked like they fought the loose gravel pretty hard on some of the sections, those people are real trooppers A few local vehicles but not many, I easily passed the guy in the silver car who crossed the broke bridge.

This was a nice view:

And what do we have up ahead:

Example #3:
Where the sierra nearly meet the ocean a tunnel was blasted out to avoid the sea.

Look what no maintance can do to a once fine tunnel I'm sure

Got a little tight near the back there Was fun to rack off the pipe in there, got some amazing sounds, at least no more rocks fell in

On this one they had to spend a little money blasty out a rough road out of the moutain side around the blocked tunnel, made for a good picture stop. Old washed up vessel, maybe they used this thing to bring in all the explosives:

I thought I'd leave a sticker

What a wonderful morning for a ride

Little bigger rocks than your standard baby heads, I decided to walk over

The other end didn't look too much better:

And no, I didn't paint the "33"I just now noticed that

I kept scanning the water along the coast looking for the old Rat making her way but never seeing her and also not seeing very many fine anchorages for her either

I was feeling good, thank goodness I still had some type of Rx glasses left

Little bumpy spot here and there that you had to watch out for

And sometimes the ditch was the best place to be:

More broke back bridges and a fellow local motorbiker

Here goes to show you how much traffic is along the route in this area, not much concern for little missing pieces here:

Or even bigger pieces missing:

Small little inhabited island in an unknown bay, IIRC Cayo Dama:

I saw these scattered around the island and from what I figured out was that the United States had 5 Cuban nationals in custody for some unknow offense and the Cubans treated these 5 as heros. At the time I didn't really know for sure what it's all about

Power of the internet (seriously lacking in Cuba I might add) here's some more for your reading pleasure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Five

The South shore did not have very many major towns along this stretch, just a few smaller villages between Pilon where I stopped for fuel the other day and then finally a decent sized place of Chivirico. I could tell I was getting closer to an establishment by the size of the ever increasing size and frequency of the pot holes in the road As I neared this town they got bad and even me on my bike had to work a little harder picking a decent line if I wanted to travel with much speed at all. It was much easier to just poke along like the locals, but I would have to adjust accordingly to stay out of the truck dust Soon after I passed the town I saw my goal, another protected little tourist oasis rising out of the poor countryside. I felt a tad guilty as I drove up the lane leaving it all behind for a few hours entering the resort, I almost felt like a traitor but as smelly as I was I dealt with it

I pulled up in the resort and was treated and was instantly treated as an oddity, dirty ole bike and dusty old guy in riding gear drew some attention to say the least. It was still well within the morning hours when I showed up and wanting to make the absolute most of my resort stay I opted to pay a 10 extra euro price of early checkin Thankfully the English speaking staff was able to get me fixed up, I took the cheapest room I could get and got my special bracelet for everything and I got my gear unloaded and parked the bike out back under a shade tree and let the party get started I was sure hoping there would be a bevy of snow white Canadain single women for me to chase but first things first.

I got situated in my mountain view room and got out all my dirty clothes except my swim suit and trusty hawaiian style shirt and washed everything the best I could in the sink with bar soap and hung it all up to dry everywhere I could, my balconey was littered with clothes drying. I was amazed at all the grudge that came off my many socks

Me ready for the beach and drinks in the late morning, it's on!

I go down to the reception area and have a look around and find the nearest bar and have a Crystal and a Mojito with cane sugar. It was fun to be back in the company of a Cuban bartender who spoke great English. He'd told me about how he had woked at the place since the opening of the resort and worked his way all up through the different areas up to his present status now. He knew he was blessed with one of the best jobs in the country He was surprised about the motorcycle trip and had never had another foreign motorbikers stay here and with that it was time for another drink. He suggested I get setup for my dinner reservation at the resturant I wasn't in the Special Place that I'd known anymore. After this point I had full intentions of attempting to try and drink 90 euros worth and unwind from the recent riding and adventures and chase some tourist women but on further questioning of the most accurate man at the resort, the bartender I was saddened by the news of hardly any single women on the resort property at the time
The cycle in and out and I'd unfortunately picked a bad day. Not to be deterred I went down to the beach to work on my other goal that was much simpler

Heading out to the beach I was interupted by a Canadian tourist and his teenage son. They had lots of questions for me about the bike and the trip and then the son just up and asked me if I wanted to sell my necklace I was wearing. This was the same necklace that the nice girl in the Yucatan had giving me that night I spent at her father's tienda and I didn't care to part with it and a little surpised of how the little turd just up and tried to buy it off me I excused myself and went for the beach.

I found my postion on the beach and only noticed one pretty girl and she was already taken Too many heavy weight tourists for my liking but it was relaxing and I would have clean clothes for tomorrow so it was okay.
The only thing that could hold my eye on the whole beach:

I was having a good day still and the sun was out bright:

I assumed the position for the next few hours leaving only to refill my drinks when the service was too long for my liking and to cool myself in the ocean

Cervasa

+ mojito

= nice time on the beach, and this dosen't hurt for scenery:

I was the main observer of a heated paddle ball game for a good while and would have preferred to do a little single handed sailing on the little cat boat with my new sailing skills but unforunately I found out a fat tourist broke the trampoline the day before so I went back to captain my chair once again.

Things were getting a little wild with all the sun, lack or fun, and all the drinks

Having enough off the beach and staying till well after the afternoon divers came in I headed back up to the resort area once more:

I think I was roughly about 3 sheets to the wind by now

I would have loved to get a get soak of the bones in the hot tub til I turned all prueny but it was out of commision at the time:

The bartender at the main bar in the lobbyI talked with earlier had switched out with another better one and I got me another round as I headed up to my room for a little nap.

I was a little worse for wear than I thought and I failed to eat much of anything most of the day and with my little binge of a drinking spell I'd got pretty messed up only part way reaching a goal of 90 euros worth

At some point along the way I donated back most of my take and distintly remeber seeing the chopped up remains of so many mint leaves you think I would have been a cow chewing its cud I woke up along side the bed really not sure of where I was a decided to stay there for a few more hours till I figured it out

I awoke well past my dinner reservation and also well into the morning hours of the next day, damnit I didn't even get to eat any dinner. I got up well enough rested and went down to one of the high dollar satellite internet kiosks to check in with the world as it been a couple weeks since I'd sent word out to the family and all. I took the time to do a little posting on here too, back to post #611 here:

Quote:
Still alive and kicking in this special place and I've been riding like a fool and living like a savage, except for last night when I checked into an all inclusive resort and attempted to drink 80 bucks worth of rum and beer

Good for me I don't speak Spanish or just might not be able to leave, the women here are amazing and I'd mentioned before about adventure riding in another country is like being a quasi rock star, well here in this place I get just as much attention as a visiting leader of a small coutry, it's almost scary. Crazy place that has a lot of adventure to offer the moto.

I have got lots to show and tell about this special place but it has very limited internet access, go figure

Will have to wait till I get back to Jamaica to do a full update sometime next week I think depends on how much more island riding I get to have thou.

Few more days of fun on this special island, going to the far East and then do a site visit to 'our' special place here and then back to the luxury of the SteelRat once again.

amgios
The internest connection was awful slow and it was with great effort I could get some emails posted or even get logged in on the Spanish keybord, I had to use micorsoft word to get the symbols I needed

To think that this place has this type of internet connection costing ~6 (euros or dollars, can't remember now) and hour and the slow connection speed a citizen here who makes just about 20euros a month would go through his entire salary in a matter of hours on slow internet connection not getting much done at all, this is a Special Place, I can't say it enough. It has been protected from the rest of the world and operates on a different level, a level without mass information to the population

Its hard to say what the country had didn't work a little bit, it could have been improved in many areas, but it was not just a total failure either. One thing I can say for certain is had I been born and lived there I wouldn't be riding around the island on a bmw; I felt blessed to have the chance!

I found me some orange juice and crackers at the lobby bar where I had to rouse the night time worker up before I headed back to my room to rest up some more before the morning buffet comes on line
I would attempt to get back some of my losses

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 08-09-2011 at 08:59 AM
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #792
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Thanks

Thanks for doing this great report. I've been subscribed since I got back last winter. I'm REALLY liking this Cuba part.

And a belated thanks to your Dad who dropped by as I was loading the bike to see if I needed any help.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #793
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
i love it.

Bring that big ass tent down to the altiplano, I'll let you be the big spoon.
Thanks Mark. Now you know why my bikes so loaded down I tell you its the taj mahal and btw the only way I'm spooning with you from dying in the cold. I'll be looking forward to getting down there and doing the cold weather testing See you around down South hopefully amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benny View Post
It's not that bad...
You know it all too well Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
I just found you RR and I have to say that is great. Love the pictures of Cuba and it gives us a different look into what what things are like there. Take care and keep on riding.

Regards
John
Thanks for the kind words John.
I had GB change the title for me as I'd never seen a ride report on Cuba and thought I make it a little easier for whoever to find it other than having to decode my strange math I'd come up with and I guess technically it isn't Latin America but the Caribbean. Jos from LUX I became friends with on the boat told me the 1/3 at the end should be dedicated to Cuba and I think he's right about that. It was a big part of the trip so far. It was a hellulva adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
looking forward to tipping a few with you one of these days, why not head up to Vermont for CroMag Sept 22-25? Suzie and I are panning to be there plus a bunch of others you know from the Soiree
It sounds like blast and I wish I could make it to party with lots of good people I know and don't know
I've got to really pick and choose where I go because it all comes down to where I want to spend the money traveling and right now SA is at the top of the list. One of these years I will make it back up that way for a lot more fun. Take care a drink one for me amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
Thanks for doing this great report. I've been subscribed since I got back last winter. I'm REALLY liking this Cuba part.

And a belated thanks to your Dad who dropped by as I was loading the bike to see if I needed any help.
Gracias Senor Charlie It feels really good getting this posted up and interacting with a lot of old friends again. This part is getting ready to really get wild

It was a pleasure having you come down last year on your way through, we'll have to do it again sometime. Glad my dad could do a little overseeing He's the best dad anywhere.(period!) He thinks I'm crazy and may not really understand why I do what I do but he still loves and supports me anyway and I'd bet he'd come to Cuba to get me out of jail if he had too
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just updated the previous post on the rr: 01/03/11 hopefully I'll get some more later today, I got to crawl the house and see what the hell is going on.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #794
far
ADVreader

Oddometer: 136
Wink ¿Girls Gone Wild ?

Quote:

This part is getting ready to really get wild

Great update Throttlemeister looking forward for the next wild part
far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #795
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,700
Quote:
I think I was roughly about 3 sheets to the wind by now

Now I remember you. It was a pleasure meeting you and your sister at Leakey earlier this year. Fantastic stuff!!
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote