Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #946
Flys Lo
cool hand fluke

Oddometer: 321
Nice photos mate, looks like a shit time was had by all then!
Flys Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #947
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 450
Let's Vote!

BeachGuy votes that the twin engine airplane is indeed a Piper Senica, not a Baron. What say you?

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #948
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,792
Thumb mmm hmmm yessir

good stuff sir martin. im still enjoying your yarn spinnin. anyhoo .. carry on brother man

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #949
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
That's wild that you're keeping up with the RR. Nice work! You're making me feel lazy. I hope everything is great in OK. I'm in Cambodia right now... you should be too! We're starting the charity ride in a couple of days. I've already bought my scooter. It is awesome.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #950
Backoutonthehighway
I ride w/ Lewddites

Oddometer: 528
Holy @^*%! I trip across this rr three weeks ago or so. It's got a 5 star rating, so I start to read. This Throttlemeister guy is alright, Canada is okay, but really, five stars? But I'm hooked, so I keep reading. I branch off to the side trips, meet Celtazon and read about AZ and AR and all my old stomping grounds and then he heads south.

And I'm thinkin' "Hell I want to meet these people and have a beer or 6 with them, but this is not a 5 start rr. And then things get interesting. Missing the boat. Catching the boat. Jamaica. Now we are getting to 5 star level! And then Cuba. Hell, there should be an EPIC category for that.

At times I was laughing so hard I was crying and when I start talking about buying a third bike my girlfriend is looking at me like I've lost my mind (I just bought a new sports-tourer in Dec).

It's taken me weeks to catch up, but I'm in and following along daily.

Keep sowing the seeds of adventure and inspiration! One day we'll meet and I'll buy the beer!
Backoutonthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #951
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Cool trip in the Darién amigo. The guy flying that Islander II was using an old Bendix King GPS to navigate, but probably knew the area well enough not to need anything other than landmarks in visual conditions. And yes, the light twin in the other pic is indeed a Beech Baron. Very cool flying around the Darién.

As you sit in Colombia, I'm getting ready to take my 800cc 2 stroke mountain sled up to Turnagin Pass for some bottomless power and crazy hill climbs. Temp today, -12 F. But, riding a 165 hp mountain sled in Alaska is crazy fun and a perfectly good way to do yourself in.

Buen viaje!
I just have to get the matching avatar, I've thought about it for a long time, you know I saw them back on the air again with some fresh material and thought of you I'll be Butthead since you already took Cornholio but I don't know how to make it happen. Bueller?

I knew I could count on one of my favorite air jockeys with help with the plane bits. We need to get us a husky and drink and dirt strip our way down baja one day. That San Franquisto approach has our name written on it amigo, just not dead sticking a KingAir in there Bikes would be fine to iffin we can't sort out a plane

Have fun with the powder and 165hp; I predict it a good combination

And to everyone else, Crashmaster has been a big help to me and my travels down South, his one of the best in my book

Sounds like Jeff begs to differ on that twin I would have thought it a Baron to bro just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flys Lo View Post
Nice photos mate, looks like a shit time was had by all then!
For sure.
Thanks dude, I still like looking at your photos from the GranSabana, I 'm going for sure Keep on getting it man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGuy View Post
BeachGuy votes that the twin engine airplane is indeed a Piper Senica, not a Baron. What say you?
No tango aeroplane (my best spanglish answer without looking at google trans)
Is that your final answer, I still guess a Baron from total memory and Beavis said so too You just might be the boss of that one Jeff, I know your a big flier too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
good stuff sir martin. im still enjoying your yarn spinnin. anyhoo .. carry on brother man
Thanks Sir Donovan, this is going to be one damn be scarf I still waiting on that Holiday in Cambodia to start upGet on with, me and thousands of others need some good reading material and I know you'll come through. One of these days maybe we get a good little bike ride in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg View Post
That's wild that you're keeping up with the RR. Nice work! You're making me feel lazy. I hope everything is great in OK. I'm in Cambodia right now... you should be too! We're starting the charity ride in a couple of days. I've already bought my scooter. It is awesome.
Now I can't comment on Oklahoma but I can say that things are damn fine in the real Cali now This is my cheap work, it saves me money but costs me on Rosetta Stone, I'm okay with that.

I hope to pass borders in Asia one day. Carry on and get back on your report, I know how tough it can be to do it, I do better on the road than at home I think.
Have a ball on the scoot charity ride, good on you man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backoutonthehighway View Post
Holy @^*%! I trip across this rr three weeks ago or so. It's got a 5 star rating, so I start to read. This Throttlemeister guy is alright, Canada is okay, but really, five stars? But I'm hooked, so I keep reading. I branch off to the side trips, meet Celtazon and read about AZ and AR and all my old stomping grounds and then he heads south.

And I'm thinkin' "Hell I want to meet these people and have a beer or 6 with them, but this is not a 5 start rr. And then things get interesting. Missing the boat. Catching the boat. Jamaica. Now we are getting to 5 star level! And then Cuba. Hell, there should be an EPIC category for that.

At times I was laughing so hard I was crying and when I start talking about buying a third bike my girlfriend is looking at me like I've lost my mind (I just bought a new sports-tourer in Dec).

It's taken me weeks to catch up, but I'm in and following along daily.

Keep sowing the seeds of adventure and inspiration! One day we'll meet and I'll buy the beer!
Talk about making me feel good and giving me a big head, I could give two shits about making a ride report cluttered up with posts, I post the report in orange just for that reason. These words made me feel extra special this morning, thanks kind sir. I will be happy to share a beer or six with you anytime. Thankyou!

PS: This life is not condusive to girlfriends just so you'll know, "Never bring your wood into the forest"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated the last post on the previous page with more story and pictures. Going back to the grind stone with the greatest Spaniard Moto mechanic in all of Colombia George's shop to finish up the water pump on my beloved. I'll be damn if I didn't break the stupid clutch shaft grabber thingy, looks like a weld job required and cutting out a fresh gasket, I love working with these people, it's true you meet the nicest people traveling on a motorbike

Shop closes at two today so over this afternoon and tomorrow I should be able to turn out some report and bring this back up to present right about the time my little bike is ready to ride. I've got some great ideas coming up and can't wait to see how they turn out.

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 04:30 AM
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #952
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
Broken what?

Hey John, I've got the old white dakar apart again (the clutch froze) and doubt I'll bother working on it til spring. You need me to send you a part? Its no big deal, just let me know. Greg
Old 01-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #953
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 850
Spotted on my trip to Medellin last week!

At a real authentic fake Irish pub

Old 01-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #954
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo View Post
Hey John, I've got the old white dakar apart again (the clutch froze) and doubt I'll bother working on it til spring. You need me to send you a part? Its no big deal, just let me know. Greg

Btw: how does this image look, it is resized to load images to smug mug fast at least than a MB. What say you?
Thanks amigo for the offer but no tango, nothing finer than a good tig weld hand, the guy did super work and I got a new clutch side gasket cut as well that looks machine made It's super to be back in the land of fix everything. Got everything buttoned back up excpet for adding the fluids and install the side tanks so I can do a good leak check and should be ready to take a little trail run on Monday with a certain someone special if all goes well

Hope to turn out some report this afternoon and tomorrow morning if I don't get distracted. Nice plans tomorrow at noon and back to finish mechanic work on Monday morning and buy some SOAT and go testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benny View Post
At a real authentic fake Irish pub
Always a character, a Scot with an Irish pub wtf He knows I like it with my big mexican whore

I'll for sure be in Medellin again

Sounds like you had a great ride, sorry I missed you boys. Next time...
Old 01-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #955
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,009
Shit, I've been out of GA too long. BeachGuy is correct, it is indeed a Seneca.

But, I'm sure the other one is an Islander II.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #956
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 450
Crashmaster, the Seneca is great little twin in the flat lands. As long as both fans are turning and burning. I'd hate to be where the big rocks live and lose one.

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #957
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Hola Juanito!!

Hey John John. Looks like the Ole Girl is coming along really good. The land of fix everything? Hell that is your speciality! You could probably teach the old boys a thing or two down there!You need a sign in your shop that says "If you cant fix it, Hell I can! Where's my welder? Now back up Boys!" Might just have to sneak in a pic of the someone special going on the test ride. Oh wait, what the heck you testing? Sounds like your getting a lot done and life has finally slowed down for you now. Great job on the RR and be safe my friend.
SmilinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #958
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinJoe View Post
Hey John John. Looks like the Ole Girl is coming along really good. The land of fix everything? Hell that is your speciality! You could probably teach the old boys a thing or two down there!You need a sign in your shop that says "If you cant fix it, Hell I can! Where's my welder? Now back up Boys!" Might just have to sneak in a pic of the someone special going on the test ride. Oh wait, what the heck you testing? Sounds like your getting a lot done and life has finally slowed down for you now. Great job on the RR and be safe my friend.
Hola Mark.
Al igual queen casa, pero tengo quehablar españolen la tienda. Not that I know that.
I am picking up a lot of new words for my shop vocabulary which helps. Geroge and I have some interesting communications to say the least, but he just knows what I need most of the time and if not a French motorcycle loving Expat, Alain is usally around to translate or Geroge's son Daniel who we nicknamed "Google Tanslator" Just great time working in a great shop with people who really love bike, they are the HD experts of Cali, George is way more of a moto mechanic than I'll ever be but he was very impressed with my tank guard modifications and liked the lifting poles

Hopefully Monday I will make a trip with Leidy the nice Colombian girl working at the hostel, she really likes riding motos, I'm sure there will be some pictures

Try to get some report out this morning, had an Aussie on a Tenere66 come in yesterday and he and I along with another Kiwi had a nice bullshitting session in the evening and I screwed around uploading some batched smaller photos to make things go smoother.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #959
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

San Blas to Cartagena

Seems Captain Lulu is not the only captain taking Latin American prides, at least this woman looked to be Colombian or something else special:

Cell servcie is a little spotty down in Coco Bandero, at least it was the first time around in Nov 2010 when I chased down the SteelRat or Lulu didn't answer Aaron's phone calls.
The skin color is so nice, lulu likes it too

After the wild party night on survivor island I woke up a little worse for wear and had the get ready for ScarFace to take us on the crab trip over to the island. It was in his benefit for more people to come as he could make a little more money so Jos and I where going to be joined by more crab eaters than we expected. We loaded up with bikers and an older strange acting American expat who lives in Panama and IIRC is a dentist Really weird acting dude that got in the boat with us for long trip over towards the coast. I took the bow position and tried to stay covered up during the ride with my hat but still took a beating out in the mid day sun on the ride over.

Motorboating we go once again in the long laucha, we seemed to be a bit overloaded but water was calm enough to not cause us any problems:

Still a little wet from time to time:

Some Kuna out chasing fish.

Our lunch spot for the day, crowed little village:

That cell phone tower in the distance is what we first mistook for the SteelRat's mast when we where chasing the boat down last time around. It was a helluva lot crappier day with poor visibility:

Our little group gathered for some drinks in the island's little bar/club area, crazy acting Expat dentist on the left of photo:

I picked up some sun on the way over:

Then what we came over for in the first place, would have been more fit for two and ended up having all the other guys coming over and in the end it got to be a bit of a jacked up situation with the price causing some people to get a little pissed about the trip, seems it would have been much better off if it had been just Jos and me I forget the cost but it wasn't that much but some people, seems the goofy dentist freaked the most. Was a real clusterfuck dealing with it after we got back to the boat and it never should have happened in the first place:

I got crabs and had a good time with or without all the bullshit that happened after we return to the Rat:

If you know much about crabs, even with a lot of them there still isn't much to go around and we had to supplement the feed with some lobster and fried chicken to make it all go around:

We as things go in nature soon enough it was time to find some relief, like I'd seen and heard many times before all the outhouses are built out over the water to feed the fishes. Sure enough, it is too funny to watch the poop get eating by beautiful little tropical fish:

They get it, I never knew my crap tasty so good to fish, it was a feeding frenzy down below

Soon enough it was time to go back to Coco Bandero and the ship.

Little official building on the island.

We took a few of our little friends back for tonights feast on board, I told you we eat like kings on the Rat

Got back to the boat and then got into all the BS with the price, covering our little trip to ScarFace's island, never should have gotten to that point. Some people don't need to be going on trips like this one. Everything got sorted out and all was good but a PITA that didn't need to happen in the first place.

We got back with enough time for more swinging and swimming around the island. The wild big tit girl went up the wrong set of rat lines to get to the crow's nest and I thought she was going to freak out but made it down finally:

Oly took my underwater camera and got some good shots of the scenes underwater around the small island. Little underwater photo montage for your viewing pleasure:

Nice Ray

It was a somewhat rough trip across and somewhere in the night we lost one of the sails getting blown out and more than a few of the motorbike covers where ripped up good but the ole'Rat made the passage once more with no loss of life or limb or eye

I was impressed with Brazilian Daniel's first to second digit gap, maybe an evoloutionary trait due to extreme use of flipflops or something

Old Milwaukee can America's Best put to good use supporting the hydralic steering lines

The one things I remember more than anything else is the rough trip Adam Lewis had living up on deck on one of the lounge chairs throughout nearly the entire trip across the open ocean. Oly helped him out and built him a little fort out of the sun cushions to help protect him from winds and give him a least a little more protection from the elements. It is amazing how motion affects different people's physiology I guess I'm just lucky. I kept telling my brain it was like being on a motorbike going up and down the hills and finally I guess I just got myself trained to what my body was doing. I had another easy crossing and was happy to have made the round trip back to where I wanted to get again.

Now going back in time to Post #658 posted from the last time I was in Colombia for the sake of chronology of the report. Making progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Its been a long trip coming back from the last ride in the Special Place and I've had lots of adventures off the bike as well since I put it back onboard right around the first of January. When I got back to Cartagena the second time around it was on a Saturday and no chance of importing the bikes until Monday 21st Feb so off to my little hideout in the Old City where I've been staying for the last week with a good friend from the SteelRat.
Some of the good crew from the last bit of trip from Panama the second time around:

From L to R: Daniel from Brazi (DL1K); Johan (The Swede backpacker who made the roundtrip back to Cartagena); Saburo from Japan (1200 GS); Jos from Luxembourg (made the roundtrip with me); Yours Truely; Christian from Germany (backpacker); Danny from California (DR650); Big Oly from Germany (Big tanked 990R)
It was a nice trip coming back to Colombia once again.

My good girl survived the long boat trip alright, she deserves some needed attention when back on land:

I hadn't shaved yet this year and was tired of letting myself go, but on the other hand nobody hassels you in the streets

First thing to do after getting off the boat was to get cleaned up a bit and settle back into life on land. We where to collect the passports that night in town at a little bar. I got a nice trim and shave before meeting up with the crew again:

Feels fresher now

Jos got his good cut too:

We went for the good pizza above Havana Club and had a nice meal and drinks on the balcony watching the world go by:

After dinner we met up with most of the crew and collected are passports and shared some drinks and stories and planned some rides and such:

Goodtimes where hadby most

On Sunday I caught the first movie in a theater since I'd left home, "The Rite" some crazy assed movie, at least it was in English with Spanish subtitles. Got my McDonalds fix once more and just took it easy getting used to life on land once more. I found they had opened a new bar in the Caribe Plaza Mall, it was nice stop but too high for beer, Ron Zacappa was $200 US a bottle The home brew was nice mixed up to make special flavors:

Mostly makes sense here:

and the rest

On Monday the bikes where unload and it was the first time I'd ridden in nearly 1 1/2 months

Most of the riders from the SteelRat rode the short trip over to the DIAN once we found the correct building and then found out there was some type of computer problem and that they where only processing 8 bikes per day (this possibly due to the large shipment back in Nov 2010) and that most of us where in the 2nd days processing anyway. Turned out all bikes there on Monday would be locked up inside and have to wait until the following day to get cleared from customs. There was even some Italian dude heavily sponsered my Ducati driving around the world like his ass was on fire with a stickered up Multistrada, I even saw Ducati tatooed on him

Finally on Tuesday it was worth the wait when the hot little customs woman came to inspect the bikes and everyone got cleared.

She was easy on the eyes to say the least

Everyone still had to get SOAT insurance and it was too late in the day so yet another night for my bike locked up at the DIAN again while some opted to take their bikes to their hostels and park them there.

That night Jos, the two German bikers Oly and Alex, and myself went to a German resturant and had a really nice steak, the most tender of the trip so far. Little exotic display of food, masuculine approach I would say

Listened to great guitar player and enjoyed the evening before retiring for the night.

Wed the 23rd Feb
Got up bright and ealrly in the morning and went down to the German's hostel and got them up and going looking for some short-term insurance called SOAT for the bikes. We must have walked to 7 different insurance companies and none sold 3 months policies to motorbikes or any insurance for bikes from what we found. Finally we went to one place and a guy from that place led us to another place that was no longer in business at that location but had an address over in Manga outside the Old City and we took a taxi to some vechicle inspection station before getting redirected to an insurance agency that supplied us with short-term insurance policy. I ended up getting 6 months since I will be coming back through this way on my way home and it would hopefully save me some time tracking down paperwork the next go around.

Meanwhile my sister had planned to come down to Cartagena on the Saturday 26 Feb to travel with me for a while and leave out at Caracas on the 20th of March. I planned to have here carry some spare parts and a set of tires down with her as carry on items. She would to be carrying another spring for my shock so I could respring the bike a little heavier because I was already running lower than I wished. Also during this time I'd also found out from Adam Lewis, a RTW traveler (The Shortway Round), who I'd met on the SteelRat that the BMW 650 ohlins rear shock had some known issues that I should address; mainly a sperical bearing in the top shock mount to replace a poor design invloving a rubber bushing that is not up to the task. This day I just needed to get the bike washed and cleaned up from all the salt spray and get ready to respring the shock and change the oil and the front tire before heading out with my sister later in the week.

Later that day after my friend John Pierre after he got finished with his morning stuff we headed over to get the bike from the DIAN lockup and was the next to last foreign bike to leave the compound.

My Cubano special old school:

One of the guys named Josh from Gerogia turned out had left his key on his DR and drained his battery down. We then went looking for some non-synthetic 10W-40 motoroil that was harder to find than I thought but eventually found some at the Suzuki shop while looking for a spring compressor to change the rear spring out on the ohlins shock. I never did find a good press to change the spring, only some possiblities with a shop press but I did pick up another good rear tube.
Also saw another overlander in a kickass Mog who I think was from the UK:

The suzuki shop has got a whole pile of police bikes lined up like soilders ready to go into battle on the street of Cartagena, mostly DRs but there was a WeeStrom in the mix as well as another I'm not familar with:

Then got the first real bike wash of the whole trip so far, they wanted 10,000 pesos and did a fine job getting the grime off the ole girl. I think I am now the last big bike to ever get cleaned here The reason being that the owner of the place dosen't get commision from the washers when they clean bikes, the washers only pay for cars so he'd already got screwed over by two other travelers on big bikes today and I would be the third and final big bike to get a good cleaning at this place

While I was waiting for the wash job I spent time speaking to a nice Colombian Naval officer in his whites. We had a nice visit and he enjoyed practicing his english while we talked about places we had visisted traveling. Nice guy named Juan:

I'm pretty sure this place will no longer wash big bikes anymore after the three they ran through here that day:

The washer did a nice job, the owner just wants a cut.

After getting the bike cleaned up and finding out that the manager of the hostel I'm at would NOT be letting me keep the bike in the back and work on it I the found a parking lot along a side street nearby my place that had guard dogs and an owner who has a gun I would just have to pay 6000 pesos per 24hrs to keep it there and would be able to do the mechanic work there as well. I put her down for the night:

That night more pizzas on the patio above Havana Club where in order and then Hard Rock Cafe was having little concert of some sort.

I think the music would be referred to as Acid Metal in my book, the crazy bastards used masks for most of there set and it was head banging wild in Spanish that made no sense to me and the high dollar beer didn't help things out any, just killing time:

I did have the first Corona I'd since mexico and it was also the most expensive one:

After the show we where a little slow leaving:

Jos cracks me up, the headband keeps me thinking Dennis Hopper from the Easy Riders

The next morning I met up with Adam, Danny, and another rider from Japan who was looking over maps for his trip North. The Japanese guy was going to be on the SteelRat and was riding a 250ish cc bike a long ways. I ended up doing little else the rest of the day Thrusday and it would come back to bite me and upset my loose plans Later that night I got Adam to come take a look at the bike and check over that problem prone rear shock linkage. We discovered a sheared off front bolt in the triangle linkage along with quite a bit of play in the shock travel that was not related to normal shock travel, the whole SOB was moving Tomorrow during the teardown would be interesting...

Friday the 26th the day before my sister arrives I'd planned to get into mechanic mode and strip the bike in order to pull the rear shock and go over everything along with a oil change and a change of the front tire before I'd be good to go. I started somewhat early in the morning and dismantled the rear end of the bike and the closer I got the more trouble I found from the initial discovery last night.

The start in my makeshift workshop, still mucho better than in the middle of nowhere:

Racks coming off:

More bits coming of:

Touratech crossbar had enough and gave up, it survive a lot of hard falls, a new one is in the parts coming:

More nakedness:

The breakage found the night before, both halves of the bolt where somehow staying in and last night I'd pulled this half out. No telling how long it had been like this Like I say, I can tear up just about anything

Can you say shear force:

Next I got where I could get a look at the top of the shock and there I noticed a good bit of oil around the spring that confirmed the worst just as Adam had mentioned earlier. The remote oil resevior's line to the shock body had come into contact with the frame due to the rubber bushing that decided to crap out alowing for the entire shock to move up into the upper shock mount and start the damages from there.

Here you can see where the banjo bolt for the oil line came into contact with the frame and loosened up the fitting and puked the oil, some was still left in the shock because this was the first I'd noticed.

I got the tank out of the way and then the real inspection could begin and the damages where simple to see all because of that little rubber bastard

The upper shock mount went to beating in on the head of the shock and would make the installation of the spherical bearing a little more tough:

Did I mention it was a hot SOB working on the bike in my little dirty makeshift shop:

It was a sad finding and I knew at this point it was not worth throwing back together and making this next part of the trip with my sister at this point
She had just received parts from Ohlins USA; a heavier spring and a spherical bearing to hopefully fix my current shock but this was going to need more help than just that. Come to find out after pulling my shock that I already had the heaviest spring they use on that particular shock model

The new plan was getting ohlins USA to put together a new shock with the spherical bearing installed already along with the heavy spring for my extra heavy weights but with more factory preload to compensate for ride height instead of maxing out the hydralic preload all the time. Problem is they had just sent their last 200 spring rate to my sister along with the last spherical bearing so all that stuff just shipped would have to be sent right back to North Carolina to build the other new improved shock.

My sister's trip would need to be cancelled because of the price of changing the ticket at the last minute was nearly a thousand dollars and she still lost out on ~200 bucks for cancelling. She will come down somewhere along the way in 5 weeks or so once the bike is back up to par once again. She overnighted the parts back to NC yesterday and Ohlins should have the shock turned back out on Monday to Houston and then the all expensive DHL and some nice import duties should get me back to near 100% again along with a few other little pieces I am needing.

Those other bits are a new side stand that got one of the spring tits ground off and some nice friends from the special place decided to rip off the boot hoop.

I will give the bike a good going over and change out some rusty bolts and gather a few more spares, change the oil, and throw on a new front tire during my down time here in Cartagena. In the meantime my current greatest love of my life sits in pieces in a parking lot in the Old City waiting for my loving hands and a small boatload of money to come to her rescue. I will get her ready once more for another round of fun and I can barely wait to get going again

I must have had the shakes as I left her be, she's still a good one and never left me stranded in the boonies

One the bright side I have loads of time now to get caught up with the pictures and internet time here in Cartagena while I wait, so its not so bad

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 06:30 AM Reason: resize photo
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #960
Backoutonthehighway
I ride w/ Lewddites

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post

Talk about making me feel good and giving me a big head, I could give two shits about making a ride report cluttered up with posts, I post the report in orange just for that reason. These words made me feel extra special this morning, thanks kind sir. I will be happy to share a beer or six with you anytime. Thankyou!

PS: This life is not condusive to girlfriends just so you'll know, "Never bring your wood into the forest"

Glad my perspective was uplifting. Your rr certainly has been. [Not helping on the pocketbook however - just ordered the cot and beachpad ]

I'll watch for a time when you are back up in the states for the beer (at least until I've saved enough to buy a bike and head south). On the girlfriend issue - I'm pretty sure you are right, but while mine looks at me like I'm completely off my rocker, she fully supports my addiction and I'm often out a month at a time. She doesn't ride so it's a nice break for us both.

As per the new Radioman sticker: "Safety Third!"
Backoutonthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote