Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #91
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinJoe
Hey John. Looks like ur having a great time. Will forward the thread to all the no lifers here at work. Its great to see what ur up to. Keep it coming. Watch out for a big Ass Moose along ur ways. The pics are great!
MarK I've been looking for those moose like crazy and haven't had any luck yet, maybe tomorrow at Gros Morne National Park my moose -luck will change. Hope the work place is doing good and making some money, maybe I saved them a little
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #92
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Monday the 24th the day after my first wimpy hurrincane, I slept sound through it, no worries from the North shore of New Foundland.

I got up sometime in the morning with little more to do than straighten up the surfhouse and finish up the first time I did my laundry this trip, it was nice to have some clean clothes again instead of just the right guard bath I've normally been getting.

Problem here is that when I went to St. John's the other day I forgot to get my SD card put into my camera so all my Aug 24th pictures are stuck on my internal drive of my computer and I don't have a mini usb to pull them off so no pictures yet, will edit it later once I get the cable. *Edit the camera problem was solved today and I can upload the photos from the Eastern most point in North America

Not much but screwing around today, Ron from NJ (regfoo2)another inmate that came up from the states to Skibum's rally and I had crashed at the surfhouse the night before and me needing to get to the city to pick up my new specs and spare pump thought it best to go Monday afternoon instead of early Tuesday morning. Ron decided to go over since he had yet to go to St John's and we ended up leaving in the late afternoon and didn't get to the city until the early eveing and didn't even go to the eastern most point because we ran out of time.

*Edit place a little out of orde but here they are:

Here's what we got up at Cape Spear:

There where two lighthouses that where at the point, this was the one farther up the way, this is the most amount of sun it could muster this morning:

Got a real nice pano of this one and the flag tree, stitched nicely:

The crapper just let it run down the hill to the ocean below:

One of the first planes of the morning heading East:

Here's the other smaller house, little less impressive, its the current one that's working:

Another pano, not as good as the first I think, I miss the stitch by a little:

Back to the other one:

The sun just neve could make a hole through the clouds:

The gun barrels from the one of the two gun batteries bulit on Cape Spear. The took down the mechanism that aimed and help reload the two gun. It was a very impressive solution to help with firing and loading the breech loading guns. They were produced at an amory down in the states long before WWII and most have been retrofitted to use at this location, back when New Foundland was still and independent country before they joined Canada. Seem like I remember them being cast in 1897 or something toward the end of the 19th century. Here's a small picture of the weapons system to give you an idea, I was very impressed with the layout:

And what he battery solider whould wake up to each day, the bunkers themselves where very well built and what's left gave a person a strong idea of what life might have been like manning this station:

Another angle of the same weapon:

The two guns where placed in such a position that the two alone where able to cover the entire approach to the St. John's harbour but to my knowledge if I remember correctly they where never invloved in any conflict. I heard the harbour entrance was netted to keep German uboats out of the bay.

I then got the madatory far East pictures:

I cheated death and paced the in coming waves to get some of these shots, here was a good one from up a little bit but still far East and high above the ranging water below:

The mule getting as far East as she could:

I got some a little closer to where the stupid people get swept away but they are on Ron's camera because my SD card was not in my camera and I filled its internal memory up quickly.

Craig arranged to have us stay at his nice home in St. John's so we where hooked up once more by the superhost. We arrived unloaded and had some drinks and tasty toasted sandwiches that hit the spot. I slept well for the little time I was out and then Lisa woke me up as requested to catch the sun in the morning as it lights the eastern most point in North America for the first time each new day.

So it sucks that the photos for for 24 and early 25 are stuck in the internal memory where I have yet to been able to retreive them. Edit is coming up.

The next morning the 25th I was excited to go see the sun rise but was slow getting the gear on and leaving for the morning rise. Ron and I made it out there to somewhat cloudy morning skies and I rushed up the numerous stairs to get a view, I had some nice shots and was limited by the internal memory capacity, damn it. I was constantly erasing the not so good and saving my best, I pulled off some nice panoramic shots. Looking forward to posting these.

After the lighthouse Ron and I spilt off so he could chase down some new fuel line and clamps to fix a small leak and I took off for Vogue glass place to see well again. After getting fitting up and installed I got some directions to the Toy Box where Keith and Trevor hooked me up, except they didn't have my fuel pump which apparently didn't get shipped from somewhere to somewhere else where it should have been.

After finishing up a few things, rear brake pads, all the fluids, and other little tidbits I went back over to Craig and Lisa's place to load up and head West so I wouldn't waste any more time on the East side waiting. The understanding was that Ketih at the ToyBox wouldn't get the pump until Thrusday so he arranged to have it shipped over the Goose Bay where I could retreive it at the Yami dealer after I got of the ferry so I could continue on my way with spare finally in hand.

A moment for the ToyBox, this is a well run shop in St. John's that was resonable and fair dealing with, all the parts just cost more here than what we are used to in the states. Keith and Trevor are some good guys and should be able to help out with just about anything, unless you need that special order part and then it just takes lots of shipping to get something here on the island. Check them out if you got some trouble on your trip.

Here's the guy that can help, Keith in his domain:

I showed back up to Craig and Lisa's place and was enticed to stay another night and have some juicy steaks and red wine, it could not have been nicer time, sans Lisa since she had prior plans, they both are very capable cooks and it shows well:
Craig in the middle, Ron right, and the author left

After diner Graig took me for a quick look up on Signal Hill, the site of the first wireless transmission across the Atlantic and a great view of the city below, a lesser light house near the opening of the harbour, and of Cape Spear a ways in the distance:

Here the harbour from above off Signal Hill

Craig helping me out with some for proof:

The signal hill building, radio tower?? Hurricane Bill bought with it cool temperatures, it was chilly that night.

The lesser light house near the harbour opening:

Cape Spear where I bout got swept away, this is as far East as North America goes, the pictures stuck on the internal memory are good of this:

That was the two days I spent loafing around in St John's. I did get some new glasses so I can see the moose now, I changed all the fluids in the bike sans the brake stuff, put some new rear shoes on and I DIDN'T get my spare fuel pump so tomorrow on the 26th I load and head to the unexplored West side of the island.

Looking forward to more of this.

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 08-27-2009 at 06:09 PM
Old 08-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #93
Mud Butt'n
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
greetings from mud butt'n

John,
Greetings my friend. I have not had time to catch up on all the reading and your undertakings. I however had time to speed read, look at all the pics and grab bits and pieces. Thanks for the thread on your report and sorry for the sluggishness of our computer system the day you were here. Hope all is well and I hope to catch up with your blog. Love and Gasoline
Jusin/Mud butt'n
Mud Butt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #94
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Up to date for the first time, its crazy typing in real time drinking in a bar thinking about where I will lay down for the night, it doesn't matter, still walking and talking.

I left the city this morning after nice juice and muffins to fill me up and headed to the West side of the island, left the townie to hand with the baymen.
One of the neater buildings I liked in the city, the old rr station with the cool old copper roof, there are a few trains left in NF, just hardly any tracks at all:

Got little cris crossed trying to get on the TCH but hooked up on it and ran the big road to the other side of the island. Didn't take many photos flogging down the road but did get in a few.

The road ahead, I don't know:

I did stop once I saw a sign for some pizza, I was in the mood. Pizza Delight worked for today:

After the p break, pizza and piss that is, I went ahead and pulled out the hot jacket and lit it up, its so nice running down the road and flipping a switch and just starting to feel like someone is pouring warm water all over your neck, back, and arms. Its just a wonderful feeling riding in cooler temperatures with the powered gear, call me a wuss, I rode up in Alaska to Prudoe in Sept 2007 and look the the Michelin man and then is so much easier; you should try it if you have not ever.

I traveling through the Terra Nova NP but didn't even care to stop, I just continued on up the road to Gander looking for the Honda dealership and Dave Noel to see if he was around and check to the place out, alas all I could find was the old Honda dealer that was closed up.
Leaving town there was a fender bender that damn near shut the place down, me be the off roader that I try to be pulled down a sled trail and went down near the right of way to get the TCH and bypass all the madness from the little fender bender. I went down a way and no such luck so I didn't want to come back to the crash site so I bush-wacked it the 15 yrds or so to come up by a road sign on a steep gravel pad to get up to the road surface. I guess it looked impressive enough when I kinda launched the front end up enough and flopped over on my right side that a passerbyer in a black late model Chevy stopped to help me out. I think he thought I might have broken my leg beause I kinda knocked up a bunch of gravel coming up from down in the alder bushes. I got it righted by myself and thanks the guy for shopping before I headed back off again down the TCH.

Next stop was to take a look at Bishop's Falls, a small hydro project that reminds me of Black Horse beer flowing through the flood gates and over the spilway; you really have to be there to appreaciate it, go to NF and look at all the beer flowing freeely, maybe its the tar in all those trees

My new specs that I don't care for too much yet:

the pano from the area:

I loaded up with fuel and ran a little rr trail back to the TCH and then went on down the road. I saw a lot of clearing of the ROW near the TCH and was trying to figure out what was mowing this stuff down, I was figuring on a hydro axe or one of the hydro mulcher type instead I saw these big thing with s swirling blade:

Had minimal constuction delays on the TCH due to some minor upkeep:

Stopped at another town I already forgot the name of and went to their little logging meusum where they had outdoor and some small cabin static display of logging industry in the olden days when hand saws and axes where used. Nice and free because I showed up at 4 and they closed at half past that hour:
A pit saw, of the elevated variety

An old CAT road grader:

And the local internet hub here in Deer Lake where I stayed hooked up for a long time:

My refreshments for the evening:

And some more others:

Now I sit up in the hotel lobby now because the bar has closed and I listen to the wind howling outside the door and I need to find a place to lay down and sleep some time before tomorrow comes.

I'm thinking of the Bon Tour of Westbrook Pond but have a hard time bringing myself to pay ~50 $ for the 2 hour boat ride, well think about that as I try to sleep somewhere tonight.

I'm out, and this is up to the minute updated less the pictures that are stuck on my stuped internal camera's memory.

goodnight and sleep well in your warm beds, I have yet to put up my tent this trip but tonight is looking like it unless I can find me a barn or something nice for shelter like that.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #95
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud butt'n
John,
Greetings my friend. I have not had time to catch up on all the reading and your undertakings. I however had time to speed read, look at all the pics and grab bits and pieces. Thanks for the thread on your report and sorry for the sluggishness of our computer system the day you were here. Hope all is well and I hope to catch up with your blog. Love and Gasoline
Jusin/Mud butt'n
Hey dude glad you found it, the net was fine there that day. I finally used the oil yesterday and changed the oils out. I carried them for a long ways, well traveled oils they where. I thinking I was getting synthetic instead of the h-oil for the trans and final but as long as its slick it should be fine.

Starter is doing its thing, just really happy you guys had one in stock, what luck.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #96
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,386

Dominion Ale how appropriate in Newfoundland.

Are you taking a ferry to Goose Bay from NF. It's off to my warm bed
Old 08-27-2009, 05:35 AM   #97
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
Ah shit, wrong turn off. You took the last one, you had to take the first exit into Gander. Oh well, happy trails. Looks like you are having a fun time taking in aoll the things most people just blast on by.

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #98
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,017
well that took awhile!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #99
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Hey John Boy

You are having more Fun than one person should be allowed! Glad all is good with ya. Looks like a really fun place. Same old same old here at work. Terry is whinning he is having to work harder. Mary hates you that you left. Think that she just misses you. Passing on the thread to the others. hopefully you will hear from them soon. Be safe, Enjoy, paretake of the local Beers and keep it all coming! Your living life the way it is supposed to be lived. Be safe my friend.
SmilinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #100
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw
Are you taking a ferry to Goose Bay from NF. It's off to my warm bed

You bastard you heard they had snow today in Goose Bay didn't you. Yeah my ships motoring on the Aug 29, I'm ready for it snow or not. The beer is good, Black Horse works alright too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noel
Ah shit, wrong turn off. You took the last one, you had to take the first exit into Gander. Oh well, happy trails. Looks like you are having a fun time taking in aoll the things most people just blast on by.

Yeah that's why it took me so long to get over to Deer Lake, I never really got in the groove and was looking for spots to stop and have a look around. Maybe next time for lunch then when I get back assuming I don't get stuck in Brazil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
well that took awhile!

I was goofing off along the way, but the 400+ miles felt like a good 700 for some reason, I just couldn't get my riding groove on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinJoe
You are having more Fun than one person should be allowed! Glad all is good with ya. Looks like a really fun place. Same old same old here at work. Terry is whinning he is having to work harder. Mary hates you that you left. Think that she just misses you. Passing on the thread to the others. hopefully you will hear from them soon. Be safe, Enjoy, paretake of the local Beers and keep it all coming! Your living life the way it is supposed to be lived. Be safe my friend.
All I can say is I damn glad I took off when I did and I'm one lucky sucker. Maybe if I run out of money I can spell Terry off for a few weeks or something, don't think I will forget my skills anytime soon. Glad your enjoying, gives you something in the down time that you have.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #101
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

I hooked back up with some of the boys from the rally herre in the Gros Morne at a cabin with wifi watching the weather. For sure summer is over here and its time for the high powered clothes to come out. They had snow the other day in Labrador City so its on now for real.

Work on some updates here for today and watch the weather come by.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #102
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
THat is strange weather even for Labrador. It will warm up again I am sure. There is another Tropical storm/hurricane heading this way now. Should be here by Sunday.

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #103
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

I added the All the Way East lighthouse pictures to post #92, I got them off the internal memory today. Some of the them turned out nice I think.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #104
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,386
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CANF0100

Lookin better. Remember those temps are Celsius
Old 08-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #105
throttlemeister'ssis
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Cool pics

Hey! Liking the lighthouse pics. How beautiful! Too bad about your pump. Not so sure about your specs just yet. I think I need a non-helmet pic to be able to make an informed decision. At least you got some new ones. Maybe you'll see a big ass moose now.

Getting packed up for Chicago now. For whatever reason I'll never understand I booked the 7:20 flight. Ouch. Oh well. I guess that'll give me some time to hang out before my peeps show. I'm already ready to get things going. Still planning on going home next weekend and bringing back Cop so it's gonna be a busy couple of weeks it seems.

Ride hard and safe man.
xx K
throttlemeister'ssis is offline   Reply With Quote