Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2009, 04:11 AM   #121
VO1MX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
I believe thereis bad news on the horizon, more as details develop
I just read something on the local news regarding Rose Blanche, is that you're referring to Mike?

VO1MX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #122
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Oh no!

Has anyone called and checked on IT Steve's and Nolan?

My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #123
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO1MX
I just read something on the local news regarding Rose Blanche, is that you're referring to Mike?
I guess you guys are speaking of the rain that we are having? Who's the gal?

I'm setting up shop down at the good spot under cover by Gosling Lake to drink beer and ride out the weather until my fuel pump gets to the yami dealership Monday.

I'm working here at the visitor's center in GB/HV with there net and will be here til Tender's get hopping. Updates are in the works currently.

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 08-30-2009 at 07:53 AM
Throttlemeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #124
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ400SK4
Oh no!

Has anyone called and checked on IT Steve's and Nolan?
I saw them last at Rocky Harbor and they were getting on an earlier boat and then going over to Steve's at PEI on the ferry then "Noel- I think that's his name" is going South for home.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #125
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
I believe thereis bad news on the horizon, more as details develop

The suspense is just killing me, oh what will I ever do? Same as always, just keep keeping on. There's always something and it never quits.

I getting ready to ride in the snow, gonna have to rigged me a set of snow chains for the mule.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #126
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
I just got the call from Skibum and unfortunatly the CBC article was for one of our guys. Very sad news indeed. I'll let him tell the story.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #127
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Here's our thread on the RTR forum, regarding this tragic incident.

Very sad news indeed.

My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #128
VO1MX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster
I just got the call from Skibum and unfortunatly the CBC article was for one of our guys. Very sad news indeed. I'll let him tell the story.
It is very sad Gregster, very sad indeed.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #129
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Life is so precious and fragile. He is a good man and it showed. RIP Steve
I pray for his family.

1st day I met the man:
Old 08-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #130
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
I'm not talking about this on the forums and I passed that on to the family as well. I'm happy to act as a go between if anyone wants to PM me for further information.
godspeed
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #131
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Aren't I lucky to still be living, notice how Ron looks like the guy from Psycho, Anthony Perkins: You see it don't you or maybe the guy from MASH.

Ron's look after a good day of riding, it was tiring:

I slept well on the tiny pull out sofa and never awoke to any strange sounds or even Ron going to the bathroom. On a side note, I 've showered more on this trip than any of my other trips combined I think, this is not a bad thing either.

When I got up this morning, the weather was looking upset and the wind was a howling, I suited up in my warmest base layers and ran the gerb almost constantly but turned it off before I started to sweat.

I rode barely up the road from Rocky Harbour to Lobster Head Cove, suiting since I just had Lobster last night, first and last of this trip up North. I was friendly to my lobster and gave him a little something nice before I ate his tail:

This was a nice little light house and I was able to ride right up the path to the handicap area and have a quick look around before the place really open for the regular tourist. The mule with a good spot:

I saw a little information about the flag communication used before the technology took over, I like the 'J' flag and think I might fly one so people will give me plenty of room and stay out of the way when I coming down the road.

The sea looked kinda pissy today, the wind was whipping hard:

The area around:

I'm getting my cold weather beard on now and changed to my warmer orange cap, you can always tell how cold the riding is by my head warmth attire:

By some other travelers here:

Back on down the windy road and past the the creek that I would have liked to have seen the pond tour but did not get the weather to be nice for me, but it was a pricey boat ride and I wasn't up for it.

The gap from a distance, they say its nice, I guess I'll hit mine in Norway or the other in Quebec:

I went on up the road and started seeing the signs for the ferry and thought it was best to stop in and see what the story was on the ferry. I got there to chaos, seems Mr. Bill came and upset the schedule along with a Northeasterner something and caused a day of operation to be suspended and created a large backlog of passengers and vehicles. I met some Canadain riders that had been waiting on the ferry for over 30 hours so I thought it best to jump island and head to the mainland, I guess you have to leave something for next time right.

The ferry terminal was a big waiting line to see if there was room for everybodies' vehicles, long slow lines where the reserved people had the priority and us underlings had to wait for them to clear out

no problem I made the ship and met up with one of the Canadians on a new red twin GS who was running a loop and had been stuck waiting for the boat for some time now and was happy to get across.

The Apollo opening wide:

4-point tie on the c stand worked again and this was in what I like to call rough seas:

Self shots up on the top deck:

Someone important taking care of business up front:

and Richard the Canadian from Quebec, some town I think called Rimouski, Indain name and not German like I was thinking.

Nice guy who traded up to the red bike from a KLR, he's got a tall partner woman who rides also but she was with the son in the car going back home the fast way. We visited about routes and such while I worked on my contraband discreetly, you know your traveling when the beer cans are in another language, and that's a neat thing:

Sigmond certified
Richard told me about this guy on board also named Guy and he was a mechanic on some of the heavy equipment on the Johnston's Cartright Road project that was supposed to be done a long time ago. I was curious to see if I could run the rough cut road and make the bypass but he convinced me that it would be pure suicide to try, about 28k left to put in and likely not this year either, seems the first contractor working in there was a lousy one and now Johnstons out of Cornerbrook is going to finnish it off. Nice fellow who's been invloved in some big boring (hole drilling, like chunnel and pretty exciting I think) projects around the world, good firsthand information for me, thanks Guy:

Getting ready to get off the boat I saw the first Texas 'horns fans since leaving the states, couple of pretty ones, yeah the other one's in the back not seen without a Tx shirt. They had a brother living in Houston, the girl was hot even when shaking:

The M/V Apollo back in to port in Quebec:

I made it to Quebec:

We got to the other side and I thought decided to pick up some oil for the final and then head down to the end of the road South to see what was there. On the way above St. Paul Bay area I believe, my favorite type now, the pano:

I just kinda worked on my photo skills and enjoyed the nice two land paved to St. Paul area and down to Fort Bay I guess that's what they call it, you can't really miss it becuase that's it, you will know it when you get there or here:

or the real end here, roped off to keep the crazies out:

I went down by the dock and stuck up conversation with one of the brothers invloved with the 50' long liner Midnight Express?? and got to come aboard and check out the boat, little disorganised but fun to see what its like, got up on the bridge and and snapped a few of the vessels electrics:

Wish I would have taken a picture of the transom to have had the name and home port to know for sure for the memories. It was fun to get on board.

The guy fished most of his life with his other three brothers. He said times are tough and they have to diversify and catch many different species to make it.

The fisherman took me by the only store I could find and had a twix and some milk, kinda getting on the combo for some reason, they complement each other well for my palate. Met the owner's wife and one of their sons who helps runs the place. Real good people here, although as you tell people about what your up to it seems like they talk all scary and stuff about why would you want to or shouldn't go or about all the snow and stuff, I guess that's normal to raise concern:

I visitied there long enough to meet a local that was going back and forth to Madagascar working for a Uranuim mining outfit out of Canada, talk about a commute. I told him about my experience of flying in an Air Madagascar 747 out of Algiers and how it felt like it was going to fall from the sky, he laughed and said his company no longer allows them to fly that airline and only use Air France now. After the break I headed back North and found something I missed on the way down. This little gem is close to the ferry get off in Quebec, a note on the ferry is that it is also the best bang for the buck, something like $11 bucks, Richard said the tax payers are eating it hard.

The last bridge before Fort Bay, a woodie decked steelie:

Here's the nice spot:

The mule waiting patiently:

That place:

I went back into Blanc Sablon and found some wifi at the 138 motel and got the mule a Quebec sticker and homesteded the sofa for a few hours and then went for some comfort food at Pizza Delight with horrible service (must have been the late hour, but still one and half before they closed) to prep me for the cold night that was to come: yummy

I started off after the late meal North into Labrador at not a nice temperature:

or much better time for traveling:

And what happens sometimes in the darkness of night things that look like great sleeping spots are not as they appear, case in point-I was looking for any kind of covered somewhat wind protected area to avoid putting up the tent once again. I saw this and it looked to have a roof and I could set up on the lee side and be somewhat protected less a wind shift or rain that looked eminent. I ended up with this, also a now site for all kinds of bad stuff, sorry no pictures of all the horrible things that might have happened to me, but you will laugh when you see where I ended up the next morning.

I survived but it was not a good choice...

Have to upload those photos and will start in on the next day
Old 08-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #132
VO1MX
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't forget to check out the lighthouse in Point Amour

Old 08-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #133
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
I think Suzie gave you the goods about that lighthouse, tallest in eastern Canada, second tallest in the country, free admission?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #134
regfoo2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Get Down Johnnie

Hey,
made it up to the Viking village and the natives said that no raping, pillaging or burning had taken place on Friday so figured you beat it off island . next time through check it out as it is interesting. Also, the lyrics and music are half done for get down johnnie, so look-out behind your shower curtain!!!! Got on the ferry Saturday nite with Nolan and rode out this morning in NS to buckets of rain at 5:30 AM til about 9:30 but actually got nice out and Nolan took-off ahead to parts unknown as I am in Fredericton for the nite and haven't seen him since about noonish. Ride safe-the life you save may be your own.

Alan Alda or Tony Perkins ....coming Mother

regfoo2 screwed with this post 08-30-2009 at 04:37 PM
regfoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #135
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
Look forward to reading more.

Lots of woods roads in Goose to occupy your time. get down to North West River and meet some people down there. Really nice people.

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote