Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #1366
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
I used to stop at that BBQ place south of town. They have th best broasted chicken and potatoes there I have ever eaten, along with thier hot BBQ sauce. I remember when it used to be at the sale barn. I am sure you have eaten there many times. I had a leg break very simular to yours, 1st dr jacked up my leg, 2nd dr fixed it best he coulf, consider how jacked up it was.

Well get back out there, I am sure you have by now, riding that is.
Yep I know the old place and the new one well, Est, 1976 the same as me I'm surprised you don't remember how good the beans where. I took ADVer DaveG there, he has been trained as a BBQ judge, or so he says and he was pretty impressed with the joint especially the beans and sauce. I usually take travelers there who are passing through, I can only handle it every couple of months. Used to know the original owners before they sold out, the sale barn was the real authentic JL's

Sorry to hear about the screw ups with your repair, mine got done up right the first time, its just coming up on the year and this stuff needs to be pulled out imho. I've been getting around pretty good but not over doing by any means, I want to heal up right as it's going to be a long time before I slow down all the way.

Goodluck with your travels, Viva Mexico
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #1367
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Ah JL's, that's the name

I was trying to remember the name.....JL's.......the other guy I ran 2 man team with (truck driving days), if we left at the right time.....we'd look at each oth and say "JL's?". I don't remember the beans as much as the chicken, potatoes and the hot BBQ sauce in the crockpots. I have been intending to just make a ride out of going up to Pryor just for the BBQ.
All of my hardware will stay in place, dr didn't want to chance anything else going wrong. As it was a workers comp injury, they have spent over $300,000 to date on it. That's why I have added an extra wheel. I have a project bike sitting out there in the carport that will stay 2 wheels though. A Honda CBR 600 F4i, it was rolled in a ball with only 1,900 miles on it. I am gonna dual-sport it, and just make a fun little bike out of it. I have too many toys, gonna have to shed a few for the next chapter. I am finding it very hard to part with them though, but I know it's gott happen. It's just the wife and I , we have 2 trucks, 2 cars, and 3 bikes.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #1368
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
I have been intending to just make a ride out of going up to Pryor just for the BBQ.
Come on up Sandsman and we can go eat some JL's; I'm about due,

I last took Charlie Coons aka cwc and company back a couple of months ago as they stopped over in town on their way down from MN to Mexico.

I got a spot for you to sleep in the RV at the ADV shop, just let me know when you want to make the trip.

As far as everything goes, it's a shame;
So much to do and so little time, hard to make the choices sometimes.

Good luck with your endeavors and your repaired leg!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #1369
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Sounds like a ride in the planning.......sometimes planning is,just grab a bag and throw some clothes in it and hit the road.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #1370
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Hey throttlemeister, just noticed your thread here on adv. Good to see your active again.

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #1371
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

The rest of Feb22, 2012 up to Manizales

It was a great time hanging out in the shop at Asturias and with Alain. We both got our bikes well sorted out for the upcoming miles and as the clock was still running fast, it was time for us to get a move on.

I dropped a waypoint at the shop at 10:36 CST but somehow we didn't make it out of town and get to the next point I dropped on the Garmin until 13:45 CST Always takes a bit to get going again once you've been stopped for awhile.

During the time spent in Cali now and my time earlier in town Alain and I always got in the habit of playing in traffic; stopping at lights and coming along side and hitting the kill switch, rearranging a mirror, or bumping a rear tire for the hell of it I was used to it all and as we where leaving in heavy traffic and stop at a light I thought I'd play with Adam a little and I came up to the back of him while he was stopped and gave him a friendly nudge in the rear tire. Now I didn't really think about this much, but seeing him nearly loose it and fall to the side and immediately turning around to give me one of those good "Go to Hell" looks I felt bad. You see Adam is not the tallest English lad around and well the DR is not a short bike and with my not thinking much about it I nearly caused him to lose his footing at the stop light. Sometimes not good idea to joke around, sorry Adam- I did really feel bad after I did it He didn't go down, picture to prove it:

I talked about traffic, it was even too much in some places to even split or filter and we just waited it out until we got into the open.

Here just North of Cali traveling on the West of the river it opened up nicely:

We'd both traveled between Cali and Medellin a few times all ready and both looking for a different route North to Manizales. So instead of the main route through Buga we traveled on the West side of the Rio Cauca past Roldanillo and then crossed back over the river at Anacaro and hooked back up to familiar roads at Cartago.

Here's our route in the green tracing with the river running between the green and purple lines on our way between Cali and Manizales:

Now back on roads we both had already ridden before, we pushed quickly onto Pereira without taking any pictures the rest of the day and road into the late afternoon-early even hours getting into Manizales in the late evening and trying to find a Hotel California that Adam had marked. We did more than a few laps around the college town trying to find the place and dealing with some one way limitied access roads. The evidence:

We found the place and I dropped a point @ 18:11CST according to the garmin and got the bikes settled in and went for a late dinner and drink or two to finish off a long half day of travel. Little did we know how big a day we'd be having tomorrow. It was real nice to be back on a freshly serviced bike traveling once again, I remember sleeping well that night.

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 01:05 PM
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #1372
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale74451 View Post
Hey throttlemeister, just noticed your thread here on adv. Good to see your active again.
Gald to have you following along Airdale See you around OK sometime.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #1373
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Don't stop now! Haha
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #1374
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Don't stop now! Haha
Let this be a prime case study to show what a really nice good (or/bad) girlfriend can do to the output of a ride report I may just be in big trouble...

Another trouble part is this next day coming up in the ride is going to be picture and word intensive post and will require substantial time to get it just right. I'll get past it and the report should continue much easier. I think you will like what's coming up, it was a "proper day's ADV riding" according to A. Lewis

Now if I can just figure out some time management issues
Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #1375
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 463
John, just do like the rest of us. Go to work and write the report up on company time.

Hell they'll never know the difference.

Most of them probably don't think you do any work anyway. Ha!
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #1376
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Let this be a prime case study to show what a really nice good (or/bad) girlfriend can do to the output of a ride report I may just be in big trouble...

Another trouble part is this next day coming up in the ride is going to be picture and word intensive post and will require substantial time to get it just right. I'll get past it and the report should continue much easier. I think you will like what's coming up, it was a "proper day's ADV riding" according to A. Lewis

Now if I can just figure out some time management issues
Hey OkieJuanmuskogee,

Girlfriends come and go. Ride reports are forever. Don't leave me hanging. I'm heading to Venezuela blind.

Keep up the good work. Always enjoy your pics and stories.

Saludos,
Juan Señor
Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #1377
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,144
I think I missed an important post, where did the girlfriend come from?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #1378
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Chicks dig motorcycles...

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #1379
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGuy View Post
John, just do like the rest of us. Go to work and write the report up on company time.

Hell they'll never know the difference.

Most of them probably don't think you do any work anyway. Ha!
I would if I wasn't working with my brother doing sleep studies, no rest for the weary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hey OkieJuanmuskogee,

Girlfriends come and go. Ride reports are forever. Don't leave me hanging. I'm heading to Venezuela blind.

Keep up the good work. Always enjoy your pics and stories.

Saludos,
Juan Señor
She's a good one, better for her to run me off I'm thinking.
Sounds like Venezuela in a bit of a flux, hell I'd still go in a couple of weeks blind or not. I hear you're wondering around El Poblado, not exactly a minimalist area, not budget friendly for sure but a real nice spot Make a trip out to Santa Fe and come back on the old road to Medellin and of course go to Guatape for some nice loops out of the city. Ranks as one of my favorites as well. Hit up the Big Apple if you are getting a little bored, just ask around

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
She's a local girl, things just kinda happened when I got back home, she took real good care of me during my recovery and then some. See what happens but I've neglected the RR for good reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale7 View Post
Chicks dig motorcycles...
Many do but this one is not a huge fan, working her into fourwheelers and then I'll get her on the little XR200R to really learn something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully if all goes well I might be able to turn out a post on the big day of riding tomorrow It was one for the books. I'll get eventually...

Adam's camera takes much better pictures:
Just when you think you're riding something epic, damn if a chicken bus doesn't show up The buses couldn't go where we went coming up.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #1380
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,144
Good for you bro, I'm kinda headed in the same direction. We'll see where that goes?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote