ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,464
Locus

I've played with the app a few times. This is the free version, btw. I can tell that it is very powerful, but I'm not very smart. Is there a thread or a how to somewhere?
Also, how different is the free version vs. the paid? Mostly, I'm wondering if the search function worked better? I really like OSMand, but the search function is poor at best.
Does it only work with tracks, or can I upload a route? If so, I can't figure out how, but, well, as I said, I'm not very smart

Locus for dummies!
Old 06-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
1 I've played with the app a few times. This is the free version, btw. I can tell that it is very powerful, but I'm not very smart. Is there a thread or a how to somewhere?

2 Also, how different is the free version vs. the paid?
3 Mostly, I'm wondering if the search function worked better?
4 I really like OSMand, but the search function is poor at best.
5 a) Does it only work with tracks, or b) can I upload a route?

6If so, I can't figure out how, but, well, as I said, I'm not very smart

Locus for dummies!

1 locus has a forum, but you're better served to play around with it initially to get familiar with the UI and functions. it's gaining users FAST and could blow up to be the next BIG thing in (user base) navigation apps. if you search in "laying down tracks" you'll see a few smartphone threads, which have good replies. i put video tutorials on youtube for osmand, locus, and oruxmaps occasionally like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVUXqlFBR7Y

and you can cruise my youtube channel to find more.

2 check out locus 'settings' and you'll see a few that are 'pro' only. my favorite is the zoom-to-speed option in maps. it's FANTASTIC for riding/driving/etc because the user can define 6-7 different zoom levels like -they- want it. a few other things, but most importantly (like osmand+) you're supporting the developers, and it's very very cheap compared to other nav suites.

3 use the 'google' options from the search dialogue. it's very good, but like anything on the net, requires a connection. once you play around with QUICK WAYPOINTS you'll see 'load more info' and it's a REALLY GOOD SERVICE for setting up waypoints. telephone numbers, addresses, business hours, very very good stuff.

4 agreed. that is -all- that osmand is lacking.

5 a) tracks are trivial, routes are really easy, waypoint navigation a breeze, and routes vs tracks really doesn't matter. you can have 50 tracks and 50 routes on the screen at once, PLUS waypoint guidance, with AND navigation, for those times when the route vs your intended waypoint aren't quite the same.

b) yes uploading provides LOTS of options. when you export a track (or route that you've planned, or imported, or EDITED !) from your device to the sdcard or internal memory, there is an option to 'share after export' which opens up GMAIL, FTP/SFTP, GPSIES, and quite a few other sharing services for gpx's.

keep in mind, routes and tracks can be interchanged on locus ;-) so it's not like you're limited with garmin stuff.

the more you use it, the more you'll wonder why the 'real' gps devices can't be this good.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Thanks. That helps. Clearly, I need to spend some time with some videos.

I was just looking at adding offline vector maps. What I found was the maps from Locus that you purchase with the Lo-coins. I assume there is a way to add OSM maps for free? The maps in their store are certainly cheap enough, but just so I know the options.

The zoom to speed option sounds great. Esp. for use on a bike. I assume that means it will zoom in/out as needed when approaching a turn?

Its super easy to upload routes/tracks, but so is osmand. I guess I wonder what I'm getting in Locus that I'm not in OSM? Is it possible to overlay weather over map in Pro?
Old 06-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks. That helps. Clearly, I need to spend some time with some videos.

I was just looking at adding offline vector maps. What I found was the maps from Locus that you purchase with the Lo-coins. I assume there is a way to add OSM maps for free? The maps in their store are certainly cheap enough, but just so I know the options.

The zoom to speed option sounds great. Esp. for use on a bike. I assume that means it will zoom in/out as needed when approaching a turn?

Its super easy to upload routes/tracks, but so is osmand. I guess I wonder what I'm getting in Locus that I'm not in OSM? Is it possible to overlay weather over map in Pro?

maps are a breeze, either in the application or down load yourself for free:
download.mapsforge.org/maps/north-america/us

the zoom is speed based, not "fuzzy logic" so it's going to shoe current view until your speed changes.

hill shading, contuor lines

and
weather overlays work,

but is much boxer to just do this once in a while with the map centered over the desired location:
Old 06-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
maps are a breeze, either in the application or down load yourself for free:
download.mapsforge.org/maps/north-america/us

the zoom is speed based, not "fuzzy logic" so it's going to shoe current view until your speed changes.

hill shading, contuor lines

and
weather overlays work,

but is much boxer to just do this once in a while with the map centered over the desired location:
Thanks for the help and the remedial questions.
I downloaded the RI map onto my laptop. Saved it in Dropbox. Exported to Locus (into mapsvector, and it doesn't show. I figured it would. How do you move the maps onto your phone, in the correct folder?

My maps don't zoom, and I don't see anything about it in the settings. I purchased the full version, since I can tell this is going to be badass. Now I just to learn how to use it!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the help and the remedial questions.
I downloaded the RI map onto my laptop. Saved it in Dropbox. Exported to Locus (into mapsvector, and it doesn't show. I figured it would. How do you move the maps onto your phone, in the correct folder?

My maps don't zoom, and I don't see anything about it in the settings. I purchased the full version, since I can tell this is going to be badass. Now I just to learn how to use it!
from the maps dialogue, chose "add maps" and navigate to the directory it's in, select the map. it should be available after it's initialized.

make sure you've killed the free version, wait five seconds, start the pro.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
What is the feasibility of using the Monterra to run Locus? Is there any value in doing that?

I've never used a Monterra, but I like the idea of the waterproof case, the mount, etc.

Right now, I'm using a Google Nexus 4 held by a RAM X-Grip. I do not have a waterproof solution.
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #8
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
from the maps dialogue, chose "add maps" and navigate to the directory it's in, select the map. it should be available after it's initialized.

make sure you've killed the free version, wait five seconds, start the pro.
I get an error message...
Old 06-28-2014, 04:00 AM   #9
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I get an error message...
weird :what:
Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Other than above, really liking locus.

I prefer the map in landscape, but I can't find a setting g to adjust the display. I lose half the map with all the gobbledygook! Can that be adjusted? Either lose some of that info or minimize it?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Other than above, really liking locus.

I prefer the map in landscape, but I can't find a setting g to adjust the display. I lose half the map with all the gobbledygook! Can that be adjusted? Either lose some of that info or minimize it?
yes, some stuff to interest you:

once you've found and set those to your liking, check it the Dashboard templates and settings. mine looks like this during turn by turn navigation with the current speed overlayd nice and big:

the bunker I'm in right now has no possibility of acquiring satellite lock, soooooo it won't show where I am

ohgood screwed with this post 06-30-2014 at 10:03 AM
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Beat me to it, ohgood :) I was just about to upload the screenshots...
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Thanks. That's much better. Now, if I could just figure out how to get the OSM maps. They're dirt cheap through Locus, but I'm being stubborn
Old 06-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
Jproaster
I work too much

Oddometer: 192
You guys are awesome! Im almost certain to pass on garmin for a dedicated gps phone.

John
Jproaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #15
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproaster View Post
You guys are awesome! Im almost certain to pass on garmin for a dedicated gps phone.

John
there's no substitute for RIDING with the device to see what works and what doesn't. i'll take a week to use exclusively one app on the bike, to find out what rocks/sucks about it. i keep coming back to Locus and Osmand for the incredible amount of features and adaptable user interface. wether i'm geocaching, hiking, tracking, ROUTING ON PHONE, or just futsing around with places i might want to ride one day, locus keeps getting it all done the easiest.