Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
TrailCruiser OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
BMW Navigator V: issues/solutions thread

Ok inmates, I found only two threads on the BMW Navigator V, one here in the Layin' down tracks forum and the other one in the GS forum. Lots of comments but not too many issues and solutions so I thought it might be useful to start such a thread.

Issue: can't delete tracks
The first issue I'm having that can't seem to solve is that I can't delete any old tracks from the unit, either via the screen directly on the unit, or via BaseCamp when connected. What's up with that? I'd like to get rid of some tracks I don't care about to save space on the internal storage. Anyone have a solution for this? Anyone been successful at deleting tracks, or does the unit just accumulate them until full and then begin overwriting them? If so that's pretty poor design!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Astolfo
Wicked Slow

Oddometer: 709
I am interested

on how to better use it, and yes I watched the videos just in case the obvious police is snooping around....
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailCruiser View Post
Ok inmates, I found only two threads on the BMW Navigator V, one here in the Layin' down tracks forum and the other one in the GS forum. Lots of comments but not too many issues and solutions so I thought it might be useful to start such a thread.

Issue: can't delete tracks
The first issue I'm having that can't seem to solve is that I can't delete any old tracks from the unit, either via the screen directly on the unit, or via BaseCamp when connected. What's up with that? I'd like to get rid of some tracks I don't care about to save space on the internal storage. Anyone have a solution for this? Anyone been successful at deleting tracks, or does the unit just accumulate them until full and then begin overwriting them? If so that's pretty poor design!
You should be able to Delete Tracks from within the Tracks App. When you open the Tracks App and press the Options Menu do you not see the Delete option? Pressing the Delete option should give you a multi-select list of your Tracks. If none of this is showing, I would suggest a Master Reset.

And by starting this thread we now have one more place we have to look for info...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Astolfo
Wicked Slow

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You should be able to Delete Tracks from within the Tracks App. When you open the Tracks App and press the Options Menu do you not see the Delete option? Pressing the Delete option should give you a multi-select list of your Tracks. If none of this is showing, I would suggest a Master Reset.

And by starting this thread we now have one more place we have to look for info...
At least this thread is specific to ONE subject (as long it does not degenerate). Those huge threads are a waste of time, especial when you need to read through hundreds of posts completely unrelated to what you are looking for to sometimes find nothing relevant.

Kudos to TrailCruiser, short simple threads are a lot more productive.
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
TrailCruiser OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Problem is that not all of the tracks on the unit are visible with that method. In BC I can see that there are lots of older tracks that simply don't show up when viewing them in the Tracks app. The unit software must only show tracks 30 days old or something like that. I miss my Montana!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailCruiser View Post
Problem is that not all of the tracks on the unit are visible with that method. In BC I can see that there are lots of older tracks that simply don't show up when viewing them in the Tracks app. The unit software must only show tracks 30 days old or something like that. I miss my Montana!
The Tracks you are looking at in the Tracks App are ones you Imported or Transferred to the device. The ones you are seeing in BaseCamp are the ones in your temp.gpx file (where they are stored before you Import them) and most likely your Archived Tracks.

You can delete the above by Opening the NAV5 in Finder/Windows Explorer and selecting the GPX folder. Delete the temp.gpx file and the Archive folder if you don't want to keep them.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
TrailCruiser OP
Adventurer

Quote:
The Tracks you are looking at in the Tracks App are ones you Imported or Transferred to the device. The ones you are seeing in BaseCamp are the ones in your temp.gpx file (where they are stored before you Import them) and most likely your Archived Tracks.

You can delete the above by Opening the NAV5 in Finder/Windows Explorer and selecting the GPX folder. Delete the temp.gpx file and the Archive folder if you don't want to keep them.
Aha, someone who knows the file structure of the Nav V, thanks very much Dan! I don't mean to disagree, but I can see my normal daily tracks in the "Active" folder on the Nav V, and they haven't been saved or anything, just not the older ones. Are you sure Garmin doesn't have some code in there that makes them invisible if they're older than 30 days or some other such logic?

So from a "file management regimen" standpoint the idea would be to go into BC once a month or so, move the tracks over for archiving in BC, then nuke the track file in the GPX folder and the Nav V will create a new one, right?

BTW, looks like you live in Central Washington in the Chelan area, I'm just down the street in Yakima.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Your "Active" Tracks are those that are not yet Archived. You can find them in the Tracks App/Active or in the Where I've Been App. Once the Track Log is full (15,000pts) your Active Segments will be placed in the Archive Folder and removed from the Tracks/Active and Where I've Been.

Have you read the "review"?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
TrailCruiser OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Have you read the "review"?
Yes, every word.

And I will go back and study the files further, do some experimenting, and report back.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Jaqen H'ghar
Valar Morgoulis

Oddometer: 196
Basic Questions:

1.) Since my new BMW RT has been put on "Stop Riding" mode, I haven't been using the bike at all so the Nav V was put away in a drawer, was I supposed to pull the battery or something because now 5 weeks in-a-drawer-later I can't get it to come back up fully lit again when plugged into my computer or car, its "on" but not completely, you can see it all in the dark background when plugged into my computer or my car's USB port but to get it to fully light up to "normal" mode I have to unplug it, then it lights up to normal mode, I tried unplugging the battery for a few seconds but that didn't help. When I 1st got it, it would light up quickly on my bike or car, but not on my computer ever.

2.) I can not seem to find any online owner's manual, what gives with that?

3.) Will my car and/or computer charge up this Nav V like the bikes cradle does?

2014 R1200 RT
Jaqen H'ghar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Try pluging into a usb adapter in a power point if you have one,this seems the only way I can give the GPS a good charge. There is a manual on the GPS, if you connect to your computer you will find it or go to Garmin express there is one there under Device.

2013 GS1200LC R1200RT for sale
KLR650 gone WR250 gone, plus many more gone.
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
Jaqen H'ghar
Valar Morgoulis

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzOldrider View Post
Try pluging into a usb adapter in a power point if you have one,this seems the only way I can give the GPS a good charge. There is a manual on the GPS, if you connect to your computer you will find it or go to Garmin express there is one there under Device.

Thanks!

2014 R1200 RT
Jaqen H'ghar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

And if you should desire to understand some things that aren't in the Manual, you might take a look at my "Review".

I do update it with each software update if there are feature/function changes/additions.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-20-2014, 01:35 AM   #14
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
G'day,

Quick question, would like to change from grid ref to lat/long, can't seem to sort this. Any direction appreciated.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:44 AM   #15
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvan View Post
G'day,

Quick question, would like to change from grid ref to lat/long, can't seem to sort this. Any direction appreciated.
Go to settings go down to units & time then position format.

2013 GS1200LC R1200RT for sale
KLR650 gone WR250 gone, plus many more gone.
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote