ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Playsatan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
New Tomtom Rider

Not sure if there's already a thread running on this but has anyone heard any details on the new version of the Rider version?

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/rider/index.jsp

I like the Tomtom interface and have it installed on my phone but use it mainly for car use. I was all ready to pick up a Zumo but if the specs and features are good on this I may have to hold off.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
baka1969
Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer: 98
I'm actually interested in this. When the current version came out I was hoping it would be something I'd pick up. Unfortunately it wasn't. I wouldn't hold my breath on the April release date though. They were so late with this generation, they missed all of the prime riding season. Oneast thought, TomTom's early versions of this current RIDER was buggy. I expect the same thing with this new version.

What I'd like to see is a route planner that's so easy that even a dummy like me can do it.
baka1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
OldM3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I like that it's not $800.
OldM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
SimonUK
Grumpy old bugger

Oddometer: 101
Hopefully they will have added enough internal memory to hold the whole maps, this time.
SimonUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #5
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
I started a new thread here...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038018
Old 01-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
Playsatan OP
Adventurer

Parlez vous francais?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...&v=iBdNqF-edqE
Old 01-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
Playsatan OP
Adventurer

The new TomTom Rider includes a number of features designed specifically for motorcyclists:
  • Winding Roads: Find the most exciting winding roads and avoid the boring straights.
  • Hilly Roads: Stay at sea level or climb the highest peaks.
  • Round-trip Planning: Simply select where you want to ride and TomTom Rider will find the most exciting route.
  • Portrait View: Simple rotate to portrait view to see more of the bends ahead.
  • PC Route Planning: Pre-plan a touring adventure before leaving home.
  • Route Sharing: Share a route with other bikers before setting off or after you return home.
  • Lifetime TomTom Traffic: Ride with real-time traffic information for the lifetime of the device.
  • Audio Instructions via Bluetooth: Keep your eyes on the road with audio instructions delivered through your headset.
  • Track Support: Upload tracks (GPX format) and your TomTom Rider will show you the way.
  • Hands-free Calling: Call hands-free while you ride.
  • Weather-proof Design: As weather ready as you are.
  • Glove-friendly Screen: Use your TomTom Rider even while wearing gloves.
  • Sunlight Visibility: Make use of different colour options for different times of day.
  • Trip Recording: Record your trip and relive the adventure any time.
  • Trip Statistics: See how far, how fast and for how long you have ridden.
  • Fully Interactive Screen: Pinch, zoom and swipe to interact with the map.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #8
kniepm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
In my email from the AMA today, I saw that TomTom is giving a 10% discount to AMA members.
kniepm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #9
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,344
Is this newer version than I bought last year? I can't find ads for it. What is the screen size and resolution?

I like mine and Tyre, other than screen size.

Correction-- should have looked at link in first post!

It's a great topic for discussion, but the participants need to act mature.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,976
Has some nice specs and appear to be targeting Garmin's zumo 590LM. But the proof is in the execution.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #11
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playsatan View Post
The new TomTom Rider includes a number of features designed specifically for motorcyclists:
  • Winding Roads: Find the most exciting winding roads and avoid the boring straights.
  • Hilly Roads: Stay at sea level or climb the highest peaks.
  • Round-trip Planning: Simply select where you want to ride and TomTom Rider will find the most exciting route.
  • Portrait View: Simple rotate to portrait view to see more of the bends ahead.
  • PC Route Planning: Pre-plan a touring adventure before leaving home.
  • Route Sharing: Share a route with other bikers before setting off or after you return home.
  • Lifetime TomTom Traffic: Ride with real-time traffic information for the lifetime of the device.
  • Audio Instructions via Bluetooth: Keep your eyes on the road with audio instructions delivered through your headset.
  • Track Support: Upload tracks (GPX format) and your TomTom Rider will show you the way.
  • Hands-free Calling: Call hands-free while you ride.
  • Weather-proof Design: As weather ready as you are.
  • Glove-friendly Screen: Use your TomTom Rider even while wearing gloves.
  • Sunlight Visibility: Make use of different colour options for different times of day.
  • Trip Recording: Record your trip and relive the adventure any time.
  • Trip Statistics: See how far, how fast and for how long you have ridden.
  • Fully Interactive Screen: Pinch, zoom and swipe to interact with the map.
My single biggest gripe with my Garmin is that after I create a very detailed, explicit route on the PC and transfer to the Garmin - the Garmin has a pretty consistent habit of altering a few miles of it, or adding it's own little "tit" routes.

All the mentioned auto-routing features listed above strike a big red flag to me that the TomTom will have the same inherent route-logic flaws - I don't want the device to even try to mess with my pre-planned route. I hope I'm wrong and looking forward to seeing reviews from folks that use it in the boondocks. All that being said.....I'm sold on smartphone navigation unless this new TomTom is about $100, lol, and dead-nuts accurate.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #12
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The problem with using Garmin software to create a route is that Garmin passes a bunch of routing algorithm info in the Route Data. This can conflict with the settings in the GPS. In addition, if you didn't place your Via Points exactly on mapped roads, you can get route calculation anomalies in the GPS.

If you just pass Route Points to a GPS, or GPS App, the routing engine can only route through those points using the routing preference settings you select. This is the most reliable route calculation approach if you want to share routing data via App specific or GPX files.

I think the new TomTom Rider should do quite a good job - but it remains to be seen.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-29-2015, 01:57 AM   #13
baka1969
Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer: 98
I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to route planning. I'm an even bigger moron when it comes to trying to import said routes from a computer to my GPS.

All of that is especially problematic when a trip includes something like riding through the lower 48 where the staring and ending point are the same. Like my front door to my front door.

I've seen some 48 routeds but can't fathom how to transfer that into a GPS. Maybe this new TomTom will make that process easier?
baka1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:06 AM   #14
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post
... can't fathom how to transfer that into a GPS. Maybe this new TomTom will make that process easier?
Have you looked at RouteConverter? To date, I have not used a simpler program to construct a route and export to just about any format or device.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #15
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

We have had a very different experience with RouteConverter. He does have a lot of output formats but I find the application works rather poorly on Mac OS X. But, this thread is about the new TomTom Rider so I think we could be taking it down another rabbit hole.

Dan
All Things GPS