Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
GPHusky250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Can't seem to delete .gpx file.

I have a BMW branded Montana...the "Adventure" series.

On this unit, there is a file in the "Track Manager" that I can't seem to delete, as a matter of fact I can't do anything with it.

If you plug the unit into your computer and look at the files on the unit, you do not see this file.

So, if you can't see it in File Manager, and you can't deleted it with the normal way you delete a track, how then to you get rid of it?

Thanks,
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,478
Make sure you delete the current.gpx and temp.gpx files in the Garmin\GPX folder. Then preform a Master Reset and if that doesn't clear it call Product Support and send it back to Garmin.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
GPHusky250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Make sure you delete the current.gpx and temp.gpx files in the Garmin\GPX folder. Then preform a Master Reset and if that doesn't clear it call Product Support and send it back to Garmin.
I did a hard reset...it didn't erase any files on the hard reset, but it did allow me to delete tracks where I could not before. Doing that left me two that I still could not erase...did another hard reset and was able to delete the last two.

Weird.

Thanks,
Old 12-29-2014, 12:53 AM   #4
GPHusky250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Let me ask this...I downloaded the AZBDR.gpx file and placed it in the GPX folder on my Garmin BMW branded Adventure, which I think might be a Montana 650.

This is one .gpx file. Within this file are a number of individual routes corresponding to segments along the AZBDR.

Let's say I'm all done with the AZBDR and I want to archive it. It seems I can't archive the whole thing at once (AZBDR.gpx)...I can only archive these individual segments.

I'm wondering that if you archive individual segments...somehow a chain is broken making it impossible to either archive or delete other segments, requiring a master reset.

After having used or tried to use Basecamp...I'm wondering if the same hard to use programming there, is also present in the Montana series.

Your thoughts?
Old 12-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
Let me ask this...I downloaded the AZBDR.gpx file and placed it in the GPX folder on my Garmin BMW branded Adventure, which I think might be a Montana 650.

This is one .gpx file. Within this file are a number of individual routes corresponding to segments along the AZBDR.

Let's say I'm all done with the AZBDR and I want to archive it. It seems I can't archive the whole thing at once (AZBDR.gpx)...I can only archive these individual segments.

I'm wondering that if you archive individual segments...somehow a chain is broken making it impossible to either archive or delete other segments, requiring a master reset.

After having used or tried to use Basecamp...I'm wondering if the same hard to use programming there, is also present in the Montana series.

Your thoughts?
The following is how the Montana manages GPX data.
  • GPX files when copied to the GPX folder (either Internal or SD Card) are not copied into the Montana's active Memory. You must IMPORT the contents (Tracks, Routes, Waypoints) into the appropriate data Manager to use them. Once you Import a Track(s) into the Track Manager, you can keep it there or you can move it to ARCHIVE. The Archive is not the GPX file where the original data is. Archive is a portion of internal memory that allows you to free space from the active memory of the Track Manager there by making space for additional Tracks to be Imported. Tracks can be move between active and Archived.
  • If you delete all of your active Track Manager data AND the Archive data, you still have the AZBDR.GPX file on the Montana and you can Import any/all of its data back into the Track Manager.
  • Usually when data gets 'stuck' in a Manager it's because there is something wrong with that data - even if it does display OK.

By the way, when talking GPS, don't confuse Routes and Tracks - they are not the same.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
Let me ask this...I downloaded the AZBDR.gpx file and placed it in the GPX folder.

I assume you downloaded the AZBDR.gpx file to your PC? Then copied it to the GPX folder in GPS unit using File Explore or did you use Basecamp or Mapsource?

I believe the file only contains several Tracks.

Let's say I'm all done with the AZBDR and I want to archive it.

Why? You still have it in your PC. or do you want to save your Active Log?

It seems I can't archive the whole thing at once (AZBDR.gpx)...I can only archive these individual segments.

I believe you can use File Explore to move the AZBDR.gpx file from the Active folder to the Archive folder which moves all tracks at once.

What ever you are asking (I have no clue) the answer is no. There is no "chain".

Basecamp is PC application, the Montana doesn't really have applications per se.

See above in red.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,062
[QUOTE=GPHusky250;25803953]Let me ask this...I downloaded the AZBDR.gpx file and placed it in the GPX folder on my Garmin BMW branded Adventure, which I think might be a Montana 650.

Your thoughts?[/QUOT

I set Track Archiving to Daily. I found this works best for me. After a trip I read all the archived tracks into a Basecamp List with the name of the trip. I rename each track for the day and segment of the ride. I then put waypoints at features of interest like gas stations, hard sections, great views, turnbacks etc.

I also filter each days ride down to ~2000 points. Not sure why I do this.

If I did a significant deviation from the planned track for an unexpected reason I also put a copy of the planned track in the list and a waypoint for why I skipped a section.

I then save this List as gdp and often a gpx file. I have found this makes a nice archive.

What I often forget or am too lazy to do is to delete the planning tracks from the Track List on the unit and replace them with the actual tracks. This has caused me some problems on subsequent rides thru the same area. Could be grist for a New Year's resolution.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote