Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
motoryder586 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Question New...ish/ My iPhone mounting solution

I've recently been becoming more and more of a trail rider. I've been using the MotionX app on my old iPhone as a GPS for some time now and it is actually pretty good. Sure the phone no longer has service, but the app runs off of the GPS chip anyway so that doesn't matter. I've been keeping it in my backpack and pulling it out as needed to start and stop a track, find out where I need to go/ etc. and as you can imagine that got pretty old having to stop every so often just to see if the GPS was still tracking. Coming from a motocross background, I wanted a mount that was as un-intrusive and as low-profile as possible. After searching and not finding anything like I wanted, I came up with this. It's survived two bad wrecks so far and seems pretty robust. Now, i've been getting a lot of feedback from my riding buddies saying I should try and mass produce something like this. I've given ProTaper a call and they don't seem to interested which leaves me to designing my own injection molded pad. Being that it is on my fuel injected KX450, it now has charging capabilities as well so I leave it at full brightness whenever i'm riding.

Question to you guys is: Would you guys have any interest in something like this in the offroad world?

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Images

motoryder586 screwed with this post 02-03-2015 at 03:47 PM
motoryder586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
motoryder586 OP
Adventurer

Charging solution:
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
motoryder586 OP
Adventurer

Another angle:
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
flei
cycletherapist

Oddometer: 943
you mean like this one? http://holeshotinc.com/products/smart-pad
Old 02-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
motoryder586 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
Son. Of. A. Bitch.

Genuinely thought I had an original idea, oh well at least it works for what I want to do, haha. I think mine looks nicer though
Old 02-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
flei
cycletherapist

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoryder586 View Post
Son. Of. A. Bitch.

Genuinely thought I had an original idea, oh well at least it works for what I want to do, haha.
Welcome to the age of the internet, where it is VERY hard to come up with a unique idea! OP- your's looks nicer. What keeps these from rotating on the bars?
Old 02-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
motoryder586 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
Welcome to the age of the internet, where it is VERY hard to come up with a unique idea! OP- your's looks nicer. What keeps these from rotating on the bars?
The pro taper pad has a square cut out on the bottom that locks into the bar mounts. It doesn't rotate even before you wrap the cover on it. I'll post a few more pics of it tonight. I will say my metal dowell on the left side lets me activate the lock button even when it's mounted though. Cant do that with the zipper pouch!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #8
Zubb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoryder586 View Post
Son. Of. A. Bitch.

Don't you just hate it when that happens!?!

'01 Ducati ST2
Zubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
motoryder586 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubb View Post
Don't you just hate it when that happens!?!
I do! But like I said, it works and i'm having fun with it! I was able to draw my ride out in google earth, load it into my phone app, and follow my intended route just like I planned and not wind up lost in the middle of nowhere. Wasn't too bad to look at while riding either.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
filterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I've got 7/8" bars with a cross bar and pad. I saw the holeshotinc one and thought I could mod/use something like one of these to wrap around my cross bar pad.

I do strictly off road/technical and like the idea that OP's option and holeshotinc option both are tucked in tight on the pad and not as exposed as a ram mount.

I have heard of issues with the phone over heating using the pad mounts. My Galaxy Rugby is some what water proof so was thinking of adding vent holes.

Nice work to the OP!
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
motoryder586 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm kinda surprised how secure it is. I think having the short sync cable in there helps a lot. It's survived one good endo and a high side crash so far. I need to stop jumping stupid gaps in the desert, doesn't seem to be working out.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #12
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,804
i think you kicked ass !

what did you use for the cover ? i figured out the foam rubber part and zip tied it to the bars, even made my own thermoplastic holder for hte phone, but wasn't sure what to use for a cover.

(my phones waterproof so it could just be exposed )
Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
motoryder586 OP
Adventurer

I just used the stock Protaper cover but cut a window in it just big enough for the screen to show through. This helps hold the phone in too. The home button is under the cover so you just press that area to activate it and the sleep button is activated by a metal dowell on the side of the pad. I'll post some more pics if you guys want. Just have to have a tight fit on the phone before anything else. This picture is before adding the charge/ dowell ports.
Attached Images

motoryder586 screwed with this post 02-03-2015 at 06:41 PM