Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #31
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlove
#1 This is the only problem with the 21" setup. There are no aftermarket front fenders that will work so I run without it but there is some spray from the tire when its wet. I've been thinking a lot about a way to either trim the stock one shorter so it will have less chance to get plugged up with mud or to modify the short one (not the longer one) from a R1100GS to work on mine.
There is a solution if you want it bad enough. Although it's expensive, I'm going with the lower fork bracket and fender in this picture from Wunderlich and a tubeless wheel from Woody.

This pictures shows the parts installed with a 21" front wheel and the clearance you would have.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #32
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Beautiful... BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN
There is a solution if you want it bad enough. Although it's expensive, I'm going with the lower fork bracket and fender in this picture from Wunderlich and a tubeless wheel from Woody.

This pictures shows the parts installed with a 21" front wheel and the clearance you would have.
Wow..beautiful BUT..$225 for fender [OK can swallow that] BUT $815 for brace! Yikes that is $1,040 plus cost of wheel!

Dumb question but can stock brace be moved up?

Wallowa screwed with this post 09-20-2010 at 08:46 AM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #33
MANXMAN
Overlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Wow..beautiful BUT..$225 for fender [OK can swallow that] BUT $815 for brace! Yikes that is $1,040 plus cost of wheel!
Like I said, it's a solution if you want it bad enough.

After riding a GS with a 21" front wheel, I can tell you that it helps more for dirt riding than it takes away from pavement riding. I want better front end grip in the soft stuff and better tracking over rocks and ruts so I don't mind losing a little pavement performance to get it. I also need clearance for the fender, so this is the only way I can find to do it right.

After I get the wheel and fender installed, I'm going to raise the rear suspension to compensate for the 21" front wheel.

I am really looking forward to next years rides with this set-up.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #34
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Keep Us Posted..

Quote:
Like I said, it's a solution if you want it bad enough.

After riding a GS with a 21" front wheel, I can tell you that it helps more for dirt riding than it takes away from pavement riding. I want better front end grip in the soft stuff and better tracking over rocks and ruts so I don't mind losing a little pavement performance to get it. I also need clearance for the fender, so this is the only way I can find to do it right.

After I get the wheel and fender installed, I'm going to raise the rear suspension to compensate for the 21" front wheel.

I am really looking forward to next years rides with this set-up.
After thinking about it...how do you raise the height of the rear suspension? More Pre-load = less sag....longer spring? A lot of questions in my mind about how much the total suspension setup is effected by jacking the front up...also I have an XtraLow Kahedo seat so I can at least have a chance at touching down when stopped [34" inseam]; with more suspension height, the ground will recede very rapidly!

As asked before...is there any way of sliding the OEM brace up to give more space for a 21" wheel/fender?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #35
MMMOTORCYCLE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
I spoke with Woodys about his wheel options and he gave me three.
1.BMW tubless rim/BMW hub
2.Excel rim/BMW hub
3.Excel rim/Woody rim

I also spoke with Boxerlove who did a suspension upgrade raising the rear approximately 3/4 inch. Glad he mentioned it because I hadn't really given it much thought.

So heres my question...going from a 110/80-19 to a 90/90-21 do you really gain that much?

The 19" has an overall height of 25.9inches and the 21" is 27.37 for a diffence of 1.47 inches and .735 rise at the axle.

The circumference for the 19" is 81.3" and the 21" is 85.9" for a difference of 4.57"

Assuming $1500+/- for the wheel/tire/brake discs/ABS ring and another $2,000 for the suspension upgrade (Ohlins, Wilbers, HyperPro)

$3,500 is it worth it???
WR144-Too much fun to be street legal!
CRF70F-for the kids
MMMOTORCYCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #36
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Well Done..But Add

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMOTORCYCLE
I spoke with Woodys about his wheel options and he gave me three.
1.BMW tubless rim/BMW hub
2.Excel rim/BMW hub
3.Excel rim/Woody rim

I also spoke with Boxerlove who did a suspension upgrade raising the rear approximately 3/4 inch. Glad he mentioned it because I hadn't really given it much thought.

So heres my question...going from a 110/80-19 to a 90/90-21 do you really gain that much?

The 19" has an overall height of 25.9inches and the 21" is 27.37 for a diffence of 1.47 inches and .735 rise at the axle.

The circumference for the 19" is 81.3" and the 21" is 85.9" for a difference of 4.57"

Assuming $1500+/- for the wheel/tire/brake discs/ABS ring and another $2,000 for the suspension upgrade (Ohlins, Wilbers, HyperPro)

$3,500 is it worth it???
Well done... but add the price of a fender/brace? My take is that the suspension change [$2K] would be of more benefit off road [my riding] than the 21" wheel [$2.6K with fender/brace]...but hey I could be wrong!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #37
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,025
that kind of look like a modded Acerbis fender
Old 09-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #38
MANXMAN
Overlander

Once you have tried the bike with a 21" front wheel, you will have to have it. It makes quite a difference.

MANXMAN screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 01:38 PM
Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #39
MMMOTORCYCLE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Once you have tried the bike with a 21" front wheel, you will have to have it. It makes quite a difference.
Crap, I knew it was only a matter of time before someone posted it.
WR144-Too much fun to be street legal!
CRF70F-for the kids
MMMOTORCYCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #40
morgenstern
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
This looks really interesting, I was looking for this kind of mod in preparation of an off road trip in Syberia/Mongolia...

There's something I'm not sure of, anyway: did you have to make any modification to the stock brace, or simply removing the front fender gave you enough clearance to the new, bigger wheel?

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #41
chilango
super-user

Oddometer: 380
Just getting rid of the fender was enough for my set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgenstern
This looks really interesting, I was looking for this kind of mod in preparation of an off road trip in Syberia/Mongolia...

There's something I'm not sure of, anyway: did you have to make any modification to the stock brace, or simply removing the front fender gave you enough clearance to the new, bigger wheel?

Thanks a lot!
"Write drunk; edit sober."
- Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)
chilango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #42
koutadog
Pilbara rider

Oddometer: 29
ASC not working

I have just fitted my new 21" this weekend looks great, pics to come when the rear turns up.

Although now the ASC comes on under mild to hard acceleration, as soon as I turn it off the problem goes away.
Anyone else had this issue? How was it fixed?

On the bitumen the bike seems to tip in faster/easier I assume this is because of the narrower width. Cant wait for a long dirt trip to try it properly.
koutadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #43
koutadog
Pilbara rider

Mu new farkle

Heres mine new 21" woodys wheel, just waiting for the rear to arrive

Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #44
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Clearance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutadog
Heres mine new 21" woodys wheel, just waiting for the rear to arrive

Couple of questions: Enough clearance on fender for off road? What is the tire size? Thanks...
Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #45
koutadog
Pilbara rider

clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Couple of questions: Enough clearance on fender for off road? What is the tire size? Thanks...
Not sure about clearance offroad as it hasnt been dirty, in a few weeks. It is very close. Would definitely be no good in mud.

Gives it a bit of hot rod look though with the guard so low.

Tyre size is 90/90-21 TKC80