Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Shelby88 OP
Dirt tastes good!

Oddometer: 389
Garmin map building trouble

I just spent the last five hours building a route across oklahoma and when i imported it to my Zumo 550 it wont take. It says it has too many Via points. What the F&^%. How do i get this to work.

Can anyone please help?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Shelby88 OP
Dirt tastes good!

I did a little reserch and i guess i exceded the via point limit for the track. Is there a way to cut the track up into peices? or how do you delete via points in a track?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
You are confusing us with your terminology.

In your first post you mention building a ROUTE. In the second you speak of a TRACK. They are two different things.

TRACKS only have Track-points.

I think your ZUMO might automatically convert a Track loaded into it to a Route.

You also don't mention what program you are using to do your navigation or what level it is.

Assuming it is the latest version of Mapsource there is a built in track tool which will allow you to add, erase, join and split tracks on your PC. Its in one of the drop downs in the menu at the top of the screen. Sorry, but I don't have access to my PC at this moment so I can't attach a screen shot.

If you think Oklahoma is a pain wait until you try Oregon (Assuming you're doing the TAT)

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
As Falcon suggested, if it's a track you're making, find out how many points per track your Zumo allows. Then right click on the track, choose properties.

If your Zumo accepts tracks up to 500 points per, set the track filter to 500 and click Filter.

If you don't want to filter the track, which makes the track lose resolution depending on how many points it filtered from, then you can split it up.

Say if the original track had 2000 points, filtering it to 500 might lose alot of detail, depending on how winding the roads are in your track. So you can divide it up into 4 500 point tracks or perhaps 2 1000 point tracks and filter those to 500.

How do you divide the track up you ask? In that same properties screen where the filter function is is a list of points. Highlight points 1-1000, at the top of the screen click on the Copy button > ok.

Now go to the Edit button at the top of the main map screen and choose New Track. In that screen click in the points box to highlight the en. Click the paste button> ok.

For the 2nd 1000 points of that 2000 point track, do the same thing, except when highlighting the points choose from 1000 to 2000. If you choose between 1001-2000, then when you actually look at the new edited tracks on the map screen, there won't be a track line between points 1000 and 1001. So when spliting up tracks, always make the first point in the next split, what the last point in last split was.

There may be other ways of doing all this, but this is how I do it.

Hope this helps.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC

Trailryder42 screwed with this post 11-20-2009 at 08:32 PM
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Shelby88 OP
Dirt tastes good!

Thanks for the info. I got it figured out. Being tech retarded sucks.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:41 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby88
I did a little reserch and i guess i exceded the via point limit for the track. Is there a way to cut the track up into peices? or how do you delete via points in a track?
Assuming as this is a route as you said, you can go into Mapsource, copy the route, and then in the Via Points tab of the route properties you can delete what you don't want..

Then go to the copies route and delete the points that are contained in the first one.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote