Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #181
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
This is unacceptable for a new motorcycle. I don't care if your oilheads leaked. No bike should be leaking any amount of oil anywhere.
And therein lies the problem. If it doesn't drip, if there is no measurable oil consumption, if a routine washing rinses away the dust that is moist with a bit of weepage, no manufacturer out there consideres that to be a leak. I'd tend to agree, and don't get uptight when I see it on my Gold Wing, Harley, or even my '95 DR 250. Seals and sealing surfaces sometimes weep tiny amounts of oil. Big deal.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #182
spenny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
My XR1200 has 10k on it... no signs of oil leakage/weeping.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #183
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
Starter Gasket Leak..... started weeping around 12k or so? Wasn't too bad, so I left it.

By 19k, it was pretty bad..... and it wasted the rear brakes too.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #184
Superbikemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Thumbs down its gonna happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Starter Gasket Leak..... started weeping around 12k or so? Wasn't too bad, so I left it.

that oil on the rear tire is gonna get ya....i had an oil leak on my ktm superduke, an almost got highsided to the moon, while i was playing in the mountains... better get that checked out... my two cents
Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #185
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
I hope I didn't already ask this, but, what kind iof tire life are you getting with the ZXR1200?

And Bueller, are you still working at an HD dealership??

Thanks, Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #186
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbikemike View Post
that oil on the rear tire is gonna get ya....i had an oil leak on my ktm superduke, an almost got highsided to the moon, while i was playing in the mountains... better get that checked out... my two cents
It just wept for a few months... no drips. Then all of a sudden, it started to on the back wheel. It went straight into the shop... that was last Oct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
I hope I didn't already ask this, but, what kind iof tire life are you getting with the ZXR1200?
Depends on how you ride, of course, and I am no where near representative of the typical XR1200 owner. But..... I have 22k and I'm almost finished with my 6th set of tires (1 OEM Dunlop Qualifier, 2 Metz. Z6, 3 Mich. PR2s).

Here's my current PR2 @ 2,500 (I'll run it another 500 or so), and here's a Z6 @ 2,100. But these are exceptions which were run hard through lots of winter twisties - those tires would normally last me about 4.5k in the summer.

I will say this though.... I've been riding BMW boxers for 28 yrs (most recently an R1100S and R1150GS) and I have never worn out my tires on the sides before the centers. Go figure, it took my first Harley to do that - and all six sets . I also finally broke down and bought my own tire changer .

Snapper screwed with this post 04-09-2011 at 10:25 PM
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 AM   #187
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:

I really don't think I would have waited that long, but by now you already know that

Old 04-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #188
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
And therein lies the problem. If it doesn't drip, if there is no measurable oil consumption, if a routine washing rinses away the dust that is moist with a bit of weepage, no manufacturer out there consideres that to be a leak. I'd tend to agree, and don't get uptight when I see it on my Gold Wing, Harley, or even my '95 DR 250. Seals and sealing surfaces sometimes weep tiny amounts of oil. Big deal.

Quote:
It just wept for a few months... no drips. Then all of a sudden, it started to on the back wheel. It went straight into the shop... that was last Oct.

Quote:
I really don't think I would have waited that long, but by now you already know that
Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #189
spenny
Adventurer

That sucks dude... I hope mine doesnt leak.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #190
TRRcheck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
They ended up finding that the rocker cover was warped and the gaskets werent able to seat right. The other leak, the hose split right down the middle. They ended up replacing various other gaskets and seals too. Would have been $450+ worth of work. Hope it's fixed now
TRRcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #191
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRRcheck View Post
They ended up finding that the rocker cover was warped and the gaskets werent able to seat right. The other leak, the hose split right down the middle. They ended up replacing various other gaskets and seals too. Would have been $450+ worth of work. Hope it's fixed now
Wow! That's almost as much as a routine BMW service

Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #192
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 689
Racer 07 Better late than never XR1200 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer 07 View Post
2400 miles 5 days. Tucson AZ. to Allentown Pa. 50lbs. luggage. Stock shocks. 190lb 62yo rider. About 3000 miles now on return trip. About 8000 miles on bike. 80 to 90mph 4500 to 5000 rpm. all day. No problems. Changed oils and filter only. Real road warrior. Great bike. Racer07 P.S. About 450 to 500 miles per day.
9-10-09
Just came across this thread and realized I never did a final update. Sooo,better late than never. Total miles were a little over 5,000. Oil consumption around 1qt @ 2,000 miles. No problems at all. Two days after returning home, changed the oils and a new set of plugs and went bracket racing at the local track. Went all the way to the finals and lost on a red light. Bike ran low 13.00s@ 105mph shifting around 67-6800 rpm. Bike is all stock. I'm around 17,000 miles and still no problems. I did try the YSS shocks on the rear and although they were much better than stock the front and rear suspension did not seem to me to work together. I'm now useing the shocks that came on the Sportster Sport. Just about perfect. Dunlop Road Smart tires. 7,000 miles on the rears and 12,000+ on the front. 36-38psi hot. Mileage is 47-48mpg @ 70-80mph It's a keeper. Racer07
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #193
spenny
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRRcheck View Post
I'd like to know how that fix worked because mine's leaking at the exact same spot :( Havent even put 500km's on it since I got it.

spenny screwed with this post 04-16-2011 at 06:37 PM
spenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #194
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Never had a BMW Boxer that didn't weep at the filler cap.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #195
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Hope I didn't already mention thin in this thread, but HD has had some problems with rocker boxes not being flat. Mostly the chrome ones. Not talking XR1200 specific here. We had one bike the chrome rocker box was leaking. The tech pulled it and found it wasn't flat. We ordered another one, and it turned out to be worse than the leaker from the bike. The tech decided at that point to use some abrasive materil and a flat surface and dresse up the old one. I could tell some stories about chrome swingarms, etc., but I don't want to go down that path.

I am a big fan of the XR1200/XR1200X and want it to be a big success in the US. We in the US whined because the bike was only available in Europe, and HD finally listened and made it available here. I'd hate to see it fail here.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote