Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #271
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Will I finely got a sumgmug account. I have my XR set up for touring. Took it to the Dragon at the end of Sept. I have a Rostra cruise control on it. You Tiger owners should recognize the bags.

Now if I can figure out the automatic way to post pictures.

Photog screwed with this post 11-04-2011 at 07:41 PM Reason: fixed your link
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #272
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,253
Neat!

(just click the image box (looks like a mountain and sun) and plug in the URL of your image...no "URL" tag needed)

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #273
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Photog Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #274
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,328
I gotta stop looking in some of these threads. I decided to spend this winter working in the bush in Northern Alberta so I could make enough dough to pay some bills. Not buy another motorcycle. Which I could do already...hmmmm...sheeesh.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #275
yellowjam
yellowjam

Oddometer: 14
Hello Crilly,
you've got the luggage bag mod i would like to to this winter. It looks great. Did you do build the mod yourself or is it a bolt on system? Do you have some more detail pictures, please?
Thank you.
yellowjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #276
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
I want one of these, but I sat on one this weekend and did some research...its heavier, and has less top end than the Strom, and is less comfortable. Torque peaks at about the same place, but torque delivers across the rev range better on the XR, and it looks better, but I just can't get behind spending a lot of cash to trade down is so many dimensions.

A Griso, on the other hand....
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #277
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

I used to own a fab shop. I had them make up a couple of brackets out of sheet metal. Cut and welded the tube frame that came with the set. I well try to get some more pics and post them in a few days.

Now I live with in 20 Miles of H-D, and I am 63 years old, so take with a grain of salt. The XR is fast becoming my favorite bike. It could be the PR3, the big wind screen, the low gearing, quick throttle response, the howlin of the intake and exhaust (Stock), or it is sort of one of a kind. At 5'3" tall the seat does not bother me because all seats for my size are uncomfortable. I just stand up every l5 minutes or so for about 30 seconds. I have a bigger screen ordered for the R1200GS and the R1200R so we will see.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #278
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
I want one of these, but I sat on one this weekend and did some research...its heavier, and has less top end than the Strom,....
So you sat on one and read some numbers did you.

Ride one.

XR1200X =

Strom =
Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #279
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
I want one of these, but I sat on one this weekend and did some research...its heavier, and has less top end than the Strom, and is less comfortable. Torque peaks at about the same place, but torque delivers across the rev range better on the XR, and it looks better, but I just can't get behind spending a lot of cash to trade down is so many dimensions.

I had an XR for 2 yrs and 24k, I wouldn't discount it so quickly, it's a wicked fun bike to ride. I had an R1100S and an R1150GS before it, and am currently on the Tiger 800. In terms of performance - and practically any measure of it - any of these three would leave the XR for dead, but "fun" is not always equivalent to speed or performance.

The XR is plenty fast for spirited, but sane, street riding paces. I actually bought mine to slow down without trading away any fun, and it did not disappoint in that regard. I really, really loved how that motor put power down through the twisties... more so than the BMWs or Triumph.

And odd as it may seem for such a lowly performer, that Harley ripped the shit of tires like no other. And a first for me - in 35 yrs of riding - six sets of tires, all worn out on the sides before the centers. I'm now back to my normal flat spotting of rear tires with the Tiger.

Ultimately, though, quality and reliability issues with the HD did me in - I was near lemon lawing my bike more than once. After the 2yr warranty was up.... I was out, and never to return.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:16 AM   #280
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
I owned a Buell M2 for 11 years and a lot of the later buells did what the XR does a lot better and easier to live with (more fuel, more HP, lighter, cheaper). Looks are relative, of course. Having owned a sporty version of the sporty would get you re-thinking owning one. It's a fantastic motor.

The Griso is another bike that doesn't make sense on paper, but it really does make sense when you ride one. I don't know if I could take the $$ hit of a new Griso, but I did feed my itch with a used one. It was really worth it. I sold a brand new Buell 1125 on closeout for nearly even up on the 2007 Griso and never thought twice about it. The bike is just fun, rare, and turns heads. Sounds pretty good with a Mistral pipe as well.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #281
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
So you sat on one and read some numbers did you.

Ride one.

XR1200X =

Strom =
Dakez - have you ridden the dl1000? I had one and it was a lot of fun. I couldn't ride it enough. Sometimes it took me a couple of hundred miles to get home from work.

I haven't ridden the XR1200, but I would think the dl would have a better power band and a much better transmission.The 5.8 gallon tank is a huge advantage.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #282
Ace100
Expert Tomfoolerist

Oddometer: 396
Saw this amazing looking rig at the 40th annual Griffith Park Sidecar Rally yesterday.

Untitled by BealeDabbs, on Flickr

Ace100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:03 AM   #283
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
New life for the AMA Pro Vance and Hines XR1200 Series

$60000 points fund announced:

http://amaproracing.com/rr/news/index.cfm?cid=51465
Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 AM   #284
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace100 View Post
Saw this amazing looking rig at the 40th annual Griffith Park Sidecar Rally yesterday.

WOW. Anyone know about that seat or fairing?
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #285
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Quote:

all of this is probably true. the vstrom is a more efficient and practical machine, no doubt about it. riding the XR is sort of a guilty pleasure though ... open up the throttle and you get the involuntary smile. down low in the rev range it howls, up high it screams. sitting at idle with the whole bike shaking like its gonna come apart you get the feeling that you're about to do something irresponsible. the heavy clutch and agricultural gears are just part of the experience. i have ridden faster bikes, but for street riding, the XR is "fast enough."

i think its about 100 lbs too heavy, and its too tall for me. seating position isn't perfect either because there isn't much room to extend your legs, although it feels about 20x better to me than a supersport. despite all that, when i ride it, its fun.

after riding one, you might hate it. but i think it has to be ridden to be experienced