Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #286
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Dakez - have you ridden the dl1000? I had one and it was a lot of fun. I couldn't ride it enough. Sometimes it took me a couple of hundred miles to get home from work.

I haven't ridden the XR1200, but I would think the dl would have a better power band and a much better transmission.The 5.8 gallon tank is a huge advantage.
I've ridden both, and the DL is a great all round functioning motorcycle...... but bored the hell out of me. The XR had me grinning constantly. For me, that's what it's all about. On paper my KTM 950 SM stomps the XR in everything minus a few tq's. But I'd be lieing if I didn't consider swapping garage space from the SM for the XR.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #287
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
WIth my garage overflowing I must move some bikes. My XR just hit the flea market yesterday. :(
Old 03-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #288
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

I haven't done a search yet, but have any of you owners had an issue with tank spread?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #289
Trail Runner

Oddometer: 779

[IMG][/IMG]
10K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #290
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
I haven't done a search yet, but have any of you owners had an issue with tank spread?
My 2009 has not had that issue.
Barry
Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #291
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Have been following this thread off and on for a while. Had a bunch of sportsters going back to the '70s and always wished HD would come out with, what is now, the XR1200. But, now that it's here... sure, I would take it any day over just about any retro-Triumph, and I guess if I were considering a Monster as a 2nd set of wheels, I'd have to consider the XR and probably would take it because of my past love for Sportsters. They're beautiful, sound great of course, but maybe waiting around for something that would have been a knock-out in the '70s is late to the game in the 21st century. FWIW.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #292
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Have been following this thread off and on for a while. Had a bunch of sportsters going back to the '70s and always wished HD would come out with, what is now, the XR1200. But, now that it's here... sure, I would take it any day over just about any retro-Triumph, and I guess if I were considering a Monster as a 2nd set of wheels, I'd have to consider the XR and probably would take it because of my past love for Sportsters. They're beautiful, sound great of course, but maybe waiting around for something that would have been a knock-out in the '70s is late to the game in the 21st century. FWIW.
You may wish to go enjoy a nice long test ride on an XR before you get too deep. It is a thoroughly competent motorcycle. My best friend is 68 years old and rides his between Cresson, Tx and Jacksonville, Fl a couple times per year. He has also been up in the Northeast a couple of times. It is a fun and comfortable bike that has a really nice sound and feel going on. It certainly doesn't have specs on some other sport naked bikes but the actually fun factor and ride qualities are a different thing altogether. Ask anyone who has spent much time on them.
Barry
Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #293
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
It is a fun and comfortable bike that has a really nice sound and feel going on. It certainly doesn't have specs on some other sport naked bikes but the actually fun factor and ride qualities are a different thing altogether. Ask anyone who has spent much time on them.
Barry
Yep.

Expect it to be a great street motorcycle and you'll win.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #294
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
It certainly doesn't have specs on some other sport naked bikes but the actual fun factor and ride qualities are a different thing altogether. Ask anyone who has spent much time on them.
+1

i've heard all the "ride a slow bike fast" stuff about the XR, but they are quite capable of humming along at extra-legal speeds. i seem to go everywhere on mine at 70-80 mph (highways, at least). if you can tame your throttle hand, the bike is a remarkably smooth cruiser at 60-65 mph.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #295
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10K View Post

[IMG][/IMG]

Never much of a Harley liker but that's a good looking bike.
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #296
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
I am with Barry.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #297
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
You may wish to go enjoy a nice long test ride on an XR before you get too deep. It is a thoroughly competent motorcycle. My best friend is 68 years old and rides his between Cresson, Tx and Jacksonville, Fl a couple times per year. He has also been up in the Northeast a couple of times. It is a fun and comfortable bike that has a really nice sound and feel going on. It certainly doesn't have specs on some other sport naked bikes but the actually fun factor and ride qualities are a different thing altogether. Ask anyone who has spent much time on them.
Barry
Good advice. Will give one a try.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #298
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Good advice. Will give one a try.
I'm gonna call around this week as well. I rode one once for maybe 5 miles (good miles though) I'd like to take another for a test ride or rent one for a bit. You're in Malibu, I'm in LA, let me know if you come across one they let you take out.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #299
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
I was in L.A. for work a year or so ago and I stopped by the Glendale HD. They had a slightly used XR1200 at the time. They told me: take it. They knew I was from out of state and wasn't likely to buy, but they let me take it anyway. I went up the 2 to the base of Angeles Crest, but the road was closed at the time because of the fire damage.

Fun bike, peppier than I thought. Just an absolutely hoot in traffic. No delay in throttle response. Wished I coulda taken it up the Crest more...

Cakeeater.
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #300
redscare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I've got just under under 3k on my '11 so far. My favorite bike of the 4 that I've had.

Here it is at the top of CA sr39 on Sunday. Working on getting a V&H Widow and a Givi case for it.

2011 Harley XR1200X
redscare is offline   Reply With Quote