Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,029
Hell. I am thinking about buying another one,
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #332
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Glad I got mine. Haven't seen another one at the dealership since then.

Yesterday evening at a small local airport. Crappy cell phone pic.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #333
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,304
That Navion isn't for sale is it?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #334
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
That Navion isn't for sale is it?
Lyle
I'm not sure. It's been based there for quite some time and I could be wrong but I thought there was another airframe nearby used for parts. I check in on it a couple times a year. There are a few pics on the web of it flying as of 2008. I've always liked 'em.

There was a little C-150 that sat neglected for at least a decade on a nearby tiedown--never could get the owner to part with it. It disappeared one day, probably still full of field mice.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #335
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 207
i really am not surprised if its being discontinued. no one around here buys them. of course, thats what let to me getting mine for a song. mine is paid for and running like a top, so i guess it makes little difference to me. maybe theyll come out with something else interesting to replace it? (ha!)

re: the cessna 150 ... i love that little airplane. its about the only one i could ever afford to fly. my uncle eventually totaled his out due to hail damage. i really havent done any flying since then. its just too pricey
Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #336
skysailor
Rat Rider

You can buy a ready to rock and roll C150 for less than a dressed H-D!

On the subject of XR1200's. Just got off the horn with the only H-D guy I would deal with in the area, and he tells me they're toast as of 2013? This is the last year? They are also the most $$$$ for a Sporty. This might have something to do with it? Or H-D riders con't want a bike that actually handles well?
Felt the same way when they (H-D) discontinued the Roadster in favour of seeing "how LOW they could go" building suspension less garbage with NO clearance at all. They won't be happy till they get a seat height if 12"!! Another huge sales pitch for BMW?
Lyle

skysailor screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 11:25 AM
Old 04-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #337
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
i really am not surprised if its being discontinued. no one around here buys them. of course, thats what let to me getting mine for a song. mine is paid for and running like a top, so i guess it makes little difference to me. maybe theyll come out with something else interesting to replace it? (ha!)

re: the cessna 150 ... i love that little airplane. its about the only one i could ever afford to fly. my uncle eventually totaled his out due to hail damage. i really havent done any flying since then. its just too pricey
Yeah, money issues and keeping my medical current (lots of med changes) have kept me out of the sky for a while. I had a Grumman AA1B for a while--loved it. Hope to get back up there sometime.

I remember buying the AA1B--low time, good shape--for under $10K.

I think hang gliding is all I'll be able to do in the foreseeable future

Anyway...anyone got any advice for tires? Anyone run the Dunlop 616's? I deal with a lot of rain in the summers here, and I commute. I need a combo of mileage and good rain performance. I'm willing to give up a bit of grip since I'm on superslab 5 days a week with only an entrance/exit ramp or two to break up the monotony.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #338
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
I use PR 3 on my XR. They are great. When I learned to Fly a 150 was $13.00/hr wet. The instructor was $6.00/hr.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #339
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
I use PR 3 on my XR. They are great. When I learned to Fly a 150 was $13.00/hr wet. The instructor was $6.00/hr.
Well, we're the same vintage, I rented them for 16 an hour wet!
Lyle
Old 04-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #340
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
You can buy a ready to rock and roll C150 for less than a dressed H-D!

On the subject of XR1200's. Just got off the horn with the only H-D guy I would deal with in the area, and he tells me they're toast as of 2013? This is the last year? They are also the most $$$$ for a Sporty. This might have something to do with it? Or H-D riders con't want a bike that actually handles well?
Felt the same way when they (H-D) discontinued the Roadster in favour of seeing "how LOW they could go" building suspension less garbage with NO clearance at all. They won't be happy till they get a seat height if 12"!! Another huge sales pitch for BMW?
Lyle

if thats true, its shameful.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #341
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
if thats true, its shameful.
In what regard? That HD won't make it available to people that don't buy it, or the fact that there isn't enough demand in the U.S. for that model to be profitable?

When the XR1200 was first announced as a Europe only model, people here screamed bloody murder that they couldn't get one. There were lots of people on this forum who said they'd buy one if it was available. How many of them actually did when it was released here? My local dealer never ordered another one after he got the first two because it took him a year to get rid them. He's got better places to invest his money than in inventory that doesn't move.

HD knew all along that bike wouldn't sell well here. Any bike they've built in the last 40 years that had any sporting pretensions at all has been a poor seller in the U.S. That's why the Sportser Sport, Roadster, FXDX and all the Buells were discontinued. HD is in business to make money and I guarantee that if those bikes would have been flying out the door, they'd still be available.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #342
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
In what regard? That HD won't make it available to people that don't buy it, or the fact that there isn't enough demand in the U.S. for that model to be profitable?

When the XR1200 was first announced as a Europe only model, people here screamed bloody murder that they couldn't get one. There were lots of people on this forum who said they'd buy one if it was available. How many of them actually did when it was released here? My local dealer never ordered another one after he got the first two because it took him a year to get rid them. He's got better places to invest his money than in inventory that doesn't move.

HD knew all along that bike wouldn't sell well here. Any bike they've built in the last 40 years that had any sporting pretensions at all has been a poor seller in the U.S. That's why the Sportser Sport, Roadster, FXDX and all the Buells were discontinued. HD is in business to make money and I guarantee that if those bikes would have been flying out the door, they'd still be available.

i know, i have a 1200 roadster that i will never sell, still a shame. i think the main problem was they were not marketed properly.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #343
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
i know, i have a 1200 roadster that i will never sell, still a shame. i think the main problem was they were not marketed properly.
The fact that they're 10-13 grand certainly didn't help.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #344
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
H-D shot their own motorcycle in the foot by pricing it at the very top end of the Sportster line, then points fingers at the consumer for not buying it.
Face it. The American Harley Davidson market is aimed directly at the 1%er wannabes. Have chaps will buy H-D. Make in the USA. Available only in Europe....again. Way to go H-D. Personally, I have NO desire to look like I belong on the set of Easy Rider.
Lyle
Old 04-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #345
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post

Exactly. Unless you absolutely had to have a Harley, there are a number of bikes in that price range that compete.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote