Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #346
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
All of our moaning on here can't change the fact that cruisers outsell all other types of bikes by a wide margin in the USA. Cruisers account for half of all motorcycle registrations. HD still dominates that market, so they are selling to their strength. Still, I find it interesting that the Japanese companies try to appeal to a much wider demographic, while selling many fewer motorcycles in the USA than HD. One problem I think the XR1200 has is that folks that might be interested in one might not find the typical HD dealer very supportive. The dealer won't be able to sell the chaps, the studded belt, or the novelty beany helmet with the bike.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #347
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Hey, I recognize that the bike doesn't fit their usual demographic, but even Harley is trying to branch out. I see a lot of Hi-Viz stuff at most dealerships along with FF helmets these days. I wonder what you are supposed to do if no one buys the motorcyclist stuff versus the biker stuff? Harley didn't get this big by being stupid. They do play to their strengths. I am really surprised that they haven't canceled the Vrod. I do respect a company that really understands its customer base.

Sadly, the fact that they play to their strengths tends to leave me on the HD sideline. Always wanted a Harley, but they just don't make what I want. Buell was close. The XR1200 is very close. The dealer network is without peer. Customer satisfaction seems to be very high. I just can't seem to find anything that suits me, or at least not for the prices they want (new or used).
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #348
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
A Hell of a lot of Harley "bashing" around here is brought about by the Motor Company themselves. I go to a Harley store, and feel really out of place if I'm not dressed for Halloween. I go into a BMW shop, and they have a good variety of machines (albeit way out of my price point) highway, dual sport and adv bikes. Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha cover all the bases....Harley? Nope. Only ass dragging, low riding, chrome yachts. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but these guys have the talent to attract more than one segment of the motorcycle riding public?? At least bring back the 1200 Roadster! Something we can install Progressive shocks and fork springs in and actually gain some ground clearance?
On the subject of "pirates", I get to have cataract surgery in a few weeks. I may need an eye patch. In which case, I might be in the market for a well trained parrot........AAAAAARRRRRrrrrrr, Billy!!

P.S. LOVE what they've done with the 72!!! And with my aging bladder, that gas tank might actually work? No pirate outfit for that one.....roll up the jeans, stuff a pack of smokes in a white T shirt sleeve, white socks and penny loafers! YEEEEHAW!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #349
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
The fact that they're 10-13 grand certainly didn't help.
$15g's up here in Canukistan. +12%tax and all the other bullshit. I can pick up a demo Diaval for that price across the street from the Hog shop.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #350
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
The fact that they're 10-13 grand certainly didn't help.

wow,

in 2005, i paid $8100 for mine and then another $1100 for the extended 5 year warranty. never had to use it, and the dealer gave me $1000 in accessories. so i did the basic rejet/air filter slip ons, and then got a sissy bar, a jacket for my gf, and some riding glasses essentially for free.

the bike had sat the entire year. it had zero miles, and the battery was dead when i bought it, they recharged it and i rode away.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #351
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
At least bring back the 1200 Roadster! Something we can install Progressive shocks and fork springs in and actually gain some ground clearance?
Except no one ever does, and of the sportster line they are the least desirable in the eyes of the typical Sportster purchaser.

You can blame Harley all you want, but the fact is they build bikes to their customer base. More recently they've reached out to a younger audience with notable success, even in the middle of the great recession. That younger audience wants a 48, not a Roadster. Harley-Davidson made the Roadster for years. The public voted with their wallets, and it went away. Likewise with the FXDX, Sportster Sport, and now the XR. Sad for sure, but I can't blame them for not continuing to build poor sellers. And by the way the discontinuation of Honda's DN-01 really angered both of their customers too

I was among those who said if they released the XR in the states I would buy one. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make that happen. By the time they released it my physical condition had deteriorated to the point that I wasn't going to be able to spend any real time on that bike. I still drool over the XR1200X in white and think it's a wonderful bike, but unfortunately I'll never own one.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #352
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Except no one ever does, and of the sportster line they are the least desirable in the eyes of the typical Sportster purchaser.

You can blame Harley all you want, but the fact is they build bikes to their customer base. More recently they've reached out to a younger audience with notable success, even in the middle of the great recession. That younger audience wants a 48, not a Roadster. Harley-Davidson made the Roadster for years. The public voted with their wallets, and it went away. Likewise with the FXDX, Sportster Sport, and now the XR. Sad for sure, but I can't blame them for not continuing to build poor sellers. And by the way the discontinuation of Honda's DN-01 really angered both of their customers too

I was among those who said if they released the XR in the states I would buy one. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make that happen. By the time they released it my physical condition had deteriorated to the point that I wasn't going to be able to spend any real time on that bike. I still drool over the XR1200X in white and think it's a wonderful bike, but unfortunately I'll never own one.

and at the same time, people that really like to ride tend to find the roadster. value maintains pretty well on the R's, and they will probably be worth some real coin down the road.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #353
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,458
Rode mine about 350 miles Sunday with a very mixed group. It was loads of fun watching the faces of the fellas when they figured out (quickly, I might add ) that this was no ordinary Harley or even ordinary Sporty. Fun, fun.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #354
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
i really am not surprised if its being discontinued. no one around here buys them. of course, thats what let to me getting mine for a song. mine is paid for and running like a top, so i guess it makes little difference to me. maybe theyll come out with something else interesting to replace it? (ha!)

re: the cessna 150 ... i love that little airplane. its about the only one i could ever afford to fly. my uncle eventually totaled his out due to hail damage. i really havent done any flying since then. its just too pricey
I think part of the reason the Motor Company doesn't sell many of the XR's is the dealers don't have enough of them. I saw one at my local HD dealer in early March, but didn't have time to test ride it that day. I came back a week or two later when I had time, and it was gone. They told me then that they'd have another in a few weeks. I checked back last week -- they STILL haven't gotten one, and now think they MIGHT have one in mid May.

The same thing is happening with manual transmissions in cars. Most dealers won't stock any car with a manual transmission. Many people don't want to wait for a special order car to come in, and buy what is on the lot. Therefore, the "manuals don't sell" mantra becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I think this applies to the XR1200X as well. When I inquired about it, they even told me that the XR the "non-Harley" Harley, and weren't real positive on it. Well, I'm sure I'm not alone, in that I'm not in the market for the typical Harley, but very much would consider buying the XR1200X -- If I can find one to test ride first.

I'd love to be patriotic, and buy American, but when pretty much all that is made here is cruisers, then I'll keep buying Euro and Japanese bikes.
Honda: 01 VFR800, 76 CB400F, 68 CL175, plus other vintage Hondas.
2007 Vespa GTS250ie
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #355
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

+1 Harley continues to reach out to younger riders in their own way. They are one of the best managed companys in the US and know better then to continue to provide a product that doesn't sell.

I too gave very serious considerstion the the XR but bought a Guzzi 1200 Sport because of it's it's better handling and better fuel range.

Regards, Paul
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #356
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Exactly. Unless you absolutely had to have a Harley, there are a number of bikes in that price range that compete.
+1, you beat me to it!

I love the XR-X, and will buy one someday, but it will be used. My local dealers still have 2009 models on the floor, and they still want MSRP for them. I don't think H-D hit the price point to seriously move them, nor did they market them very effectively. There must be a number of bikes in that class that have as good or better engine performance, handling, lighter weight, as well as being cheaper to purchase. None can match the looks in my eyes, but that is pretty subjective.

All that being said, I think the bike looks wonderful, and the test rides I've taken on a couple were very enjoyable. Everyone constructs their own cost/benefit analysis to justify the purchase of something like this bike, and no way am I laying down $12-$13K for a standard (no offense to anyone who has). Having H-D on the tank doesn't add any value to me, so I will decline to pay their premium on new bikes.

I'm sad to see it go, and I guess I'm one of the guilty people for not keeping the model alive by not buying it from the manufacturer. I do hope H-D continues to experiment with more standard offerings; I'd really like to buy an American bike someday. I hope either H-D or Victory builds something in the future that forces me to hand over my money.

Motorcyclist screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 01:37 PM
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #357
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
I do hope H-D continues to experiment with more standard offerings;
What standard offerings does HD offer? The XR1200 is as close as they get. I don't understand who wants these bikes with the 24-inch seat height and no ground clearance. HD totally loses me with nothing by cruisers, but as I have said, I can understand because I am not their customer--cruisers sell, whether I can understand the mentality or not.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #358
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
+1, you beat me to it!

I love the XR-X, and will buy one someday, but it will be used. My local dealers still have 2009 models on the floor, and they still want MSRP for them...
MSRP for an '09? Wonder why they still have them.
Walked into on of the dealers I could deal with. They have a new '09 1200C, with the 21 inch front wheel. Hate the new FAT tyre on the '12.......but he still wants "new" price on it. Hey, smell the roses! These are two or three year old bikes!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #359
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
What standard offerings does HD offer? The XR1200 is as close as they get. I don't understand who wants these bikes with the 24-inch seat height and no ground clearance. HD totally loses me with nothing by cruisers, but as I have said, I can understand because I am not their customer--cruisers sell, whether I can understand the mentality or not.
A few years ago they had the Street Rod, and there have been several Sportster variants that have had pretty standard ergo's. Then there was the whole Buell line, that had many standard layouts.

Granted, they were all discontinued, but I'm hopeful H-D will keep testing the water. Maybe a smaller displacement bike will win over some of the faithful as a commuter or around town machine.

If I had to make a bet though, I think Victory will be the first to morph into more of a full lineup of bike classes.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #360
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,458
460 miles Sunday on mine in the East Texas woods. With the prices being where they are used, I don't think anybody would go wrong buying one. It just brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. 4,000 miles in 4 months and I have two other bikes that get ridden. It does take some "sorting" and I'm not quite done with that but jeez. It sure is fun.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote