Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #376
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChatNoir View Post
the triumphs- love them but after riding the thruxton- i was so underwhelmed i went home dejected.
Should of rode the speed trip...you would be looking at most bikes in the rear view.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #377
isldtime
The oldest kid I know

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Found a new one. Sitting on the showroom floor. Kind of out of the way, as not to disturb the "real" Harley's. Have to wonder if they'd take my Suzuki in trade? Doubt it.
Lyle

Don't worry about that. Rode to my LHD to pick-up the rear seat cowl I ordered for mine. Parked away form the pirates but they all still watched me ride out on my orange,stock muffeled XR.
Maybe it was the Arai XD and the Cortech jacket! (I wore black Levis so I wouldn't be out of place)
Old 08-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #378
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,176
Quote:
Found a new one. Sitting on the showroom floor. Kind of out of the way, as not to disturb the "real" Harley's. Have to wonder if they'd take my Suzuki in trade? Doubt it.
Lyle

As long as you don't mind taking the hit that you'd take (on a trade) at any dealership, trading with the H-D dealer will probably be just as painless.

A lotta' H-D shops have a dealer (or two), who sells Japanese motorcycles, in their Rolodex. If the H-D dealer needs to take a trade on a Japanese bike, or the dealer of Japanese motorcycles needs to take a trade on an H-D, they will call each-other.

The dealer of Japanese motorcycles will give them a number, and they will pass it on to you (and it will reflect as your "trade-in value"). At least, that has been my experience.

Happy hunting...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #379
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Lyle
My dealer took my little honda cruiser in trade, and gave me $1000 more for it than I was requesting on craigslist. Part of that is that they were dying to get the XR I was buying off their showroom floor. Nevertheless, they do a pretty steady business on trade ins. They keep some of the trade-ins and sell them at the dealership, but they haul most of the bikes off to auction on a regular basis.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #380
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Should of rode the speed trip...you would be looking at most bikes in the rear view.
agree with that ... speed or even street triple will give you face-tearing acceleration and sewing-machine sound.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #381
LeChatNoir
artiste

Oddometer: 139
Should have ridden the speed triple huh?
I did this weekend- wow really great fun, it felt like a naked reply-racer
I still can not complain the XR1200 feels like a bad ass though, it really is a lot of fun to ride, and ride hard.
I can't remember swinging my leg over a bike and not feeling so 'right'much on it.
it is something everyone should try.

At 101the miles on the clock I scraped the peg feelers, cool.

I was watching the 1200 AMA series last night, while not outright the fastest, what great racing.
they sound like WWII fighters in a pack.
LeChatNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #382
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Quote:
I still can not complain the XR1200 feels like a bad ass though, it really is a lot of fun to ride, and ride hard.
I can't remember swinging my leg over a bike and not feeling so 'right'much on it.

At 101the miles on the clock I scraped the peg feelers, cool.

I was watching the 1200 AMA series last night, while not outright the fastest, what great racing.
they sound like WWII fighters in a pack.
thats the same way I feel about the XR. the AMA XR racing is great, and part of it is because the bikes are "slow." there's a lot of drafting and position changes. also, a lot of those guys are racing to get noticed by a sponsored team in Supersport or another class, so they're hungry. the sound of the bikes is great, but I've always felt like the audio on SPEED network doesn't do them justice.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #383
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,096
Agreed. It is not about outright speed. That is easy to buy and cheaper, too.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #384
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,226
I agree -- when I test rode mine, I knew in 20 seconds it was what I wanted. It wasn't a spec comparison thing--it just felt good. It still does. I'm not sure when that's going to wear off, if ever, but it still makes me grin 10 months later.

Funny you should mention the WWII fighters...when I'm bombing along (pun not exactly intended but hey) mine reminds me of the audio from old WWII Flying Fortress films.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #385
LeChatNoir
artiste

Are you using the stock exhaust? I don't mind the sound, but after riding my drz for 3 years stock, then getting a fat yoshimura pipe, the sound is not too loud and wonderful, especially in tunnels and canyons, I would like a lighter exhaust system, but I don't want to sound like the fat chopper guys I don't care for it too much, but those xr racers are great.

Torque hammer? Triwhatever moni, Remus? Harris? Choices choices...
Old 08-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #386
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
The speed triple is fun but it's a much more fast paced bike. It just wants to be ridden hard and wind it out everywhere. The XR is more laid back since it makes more low RPM power. To me it feels like a more mature feeling bike, like a low key kind of badass. Still fun to ride hard but doesn't demand it. I realized that quality and figured it was a fitting bike for a 30 year old guy like me because it's doesn't beg for me to ride it like a 17 year old kid.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #387
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
The speed triple is fun but it's a much more fast paced bike. It just wants to be ridden hard and wind it out everywhere. The XR is more laid back since it makes more low RPM power. To me it feels like a more mature feeling bike, like a low key kind of badass. Still fun to ride hard but doesn't demand it. I realized that quality and figured it was a fitting bike for a 30 year old guy like me because it's doesn't beg for me to ride it like a 17 year old kid.
I hear you. For me, riding the supersports and hyper nakeds is like someone making me eat a pine cone for their amusement.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #388
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,226
Quote:
Are you using the stock exhaust? I don't mind the sound, but after riding my drz for 3 years stock, then getting a fat yoshimura pipe, the sound is not too loud and wonderful, especially in tunnels and canyons, I would like a lighter exhaust system, but I don't want to sound like the fat chopper guys I don't care for it too much, but those xr racers are great.

Torque hammer? Triwhatever moni, Remus? Harris? Choices choices...
I've got the stocker on there. It adds to the "road hugging weight".

Agree completely--I just want to drop some weight from the bike, not sound like something with apehangers. I've looked at the FMF slipons. Mellow, not a lot of bark.

This probably sounds a little OCD, but if I buy a system with two cans that have the manufacturer's logo plastered on it, I want the logo on just one can, not both, if at all. Not "Vance & Hines Vance & Hines" or "FMF FMF". Okay, yeah, maybe it's just me being weird. I'm sure I'll give some company's customer service fits. "Please delete the second logo so I don't pry it off and scratch the hell out of it."

"...and they're on there crooked."

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #389
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,805
I'm with you on this one. No need for two logos when the system comes together. It just looks weird. One of these days I am going to get one of these bikes. That said, I haven't test ridden one yet, so I may end up not liking it (or making my wife VERY unhappy ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
I've got the stocker on there. It adds to the "road hugging weight".

Agree completely--I just want to drop some weight from the bike, not sound like something with apehangers. I've looked at the FMF slipons. Mellow, not a lot of bark.

This probably sounds a little OCD, but if I buy a system with two cans that have the manufacturer's logo plastered on it, I want the logo on just one can, not both, if at all. Not "Vance & Hines Vance & Hines" or "FMF FMF". Okay, yeah, maybe it's just me being weird. I'm sure I'll give some company's customer service fits. "Please delete the second logo so I don't pry it off and scratch the hell out of it."

"...and they're on there crooked."
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #390
LeChatNoir
artiste

Speaking if road hugging weight, where can thisbike shed some, the exhaust, the smog equipment .. where else.
it doesn't feel as heavy as they say it is.
I guess titanium everything would work- but I am not a billionaire.
and how has everyone set up the suspension?
I am 180lbs. I think it has to much compression damping built in or set up as is, but I only have 150 miles on it