User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #406
LeChatNoir
artiste

Oddometer: 139
here is the shifter-
as you know the stock shift link has those rods splaying the rider foot out a bit, not a huge concern but this is a might tidier,
as well as mentioned adjustable and more precise, less shifter link slop-
of course i need a set of pegs as this looks a bit out of place now.
but it makes it the boot toe fits perfect as if it was designed by a race team for harley-davidson...maybe it was.
very happy with it, looks trick too.
also the front slider does require a bit of widening of the axle hole on the left side- but it was really no sweat, the rear drops right in.
http://www.dropshots.com/zoom.html?l...9/b_061110.jpg
did that work?
http://www.dropshots.com/zoom.html?l...9/b_061123.jpg
or http://www.dropshots.com/fiorano3#da...09-09/06:11:23

http://www.dropshots.com/zoom.html?l...9/b_094225.jpg

if the uploaded didn't work feel free to snag the pics and repost.
LeChatNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #407
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,805
Just for grins I went by my local Harley shop to see if they had an xr1200x (no one ever does, but I thought why not, I had time to kill). Anyway, I get there and they still have a brand new 2009 xr1200 that I looked at over a year ago. Apparently no one around here wants a Harley with a standard seating position and capable of a little twisty road fun.

So, again for grins I asked what they wanted for it. The answer: $9,500 I know it is a "new" bike, but as soon as it is ridden away the first time it becomes a 4 year old used bike with low mileage. I have seen 2011 xr1200x go for that much, and less on one occasion, on Craigslist and Cycle Trader.

Sure, I could have haggled on the price, and probably got them down some, but not enough. Looks to me like that bike may sit there a long time. It just is not worth it at the price they want.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #408
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Just for grins I went by my local Harley shop to see if they had an xr1200x (no one ever does, but I thought why not, I had time to kill). Anyway, I get there and they still have a brand new 2009 xr1200 that I looked at over a year ago. Apparently no one around here wants a Harley with a standard seating position and capable of a little twisty road fun.

So, again for grins I asked what they wanted for it. The answer: $9,500 I know it is a "new" bike, but as soon as it is ridden away the first time it becomes a 4 year old used bike with low mileage. I have seen 2011 xr1200x go for that much, and less on one occasion, on Craigslist and Cycle Trader.

Sure, I could have haggled on the price, and probably got them down some, but not enough. Looks to me like that bike may sit there a long time. It just is not worth it at the price they want.

Make an offer. See what happens.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #409
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post

That's less than they were asking for my new '09

I got out the door with a LOT less than that.

"Make an offer"

I'd insult you.

"No, make ANY offer, no one has even looked at it in two years"

I'd just piss you off.

"We normally sell 17 bikes a week, this month, we've sold 7, write a number down on a piece of paper and at least let me prove to them I'm TRYING to sell something."

They didn't even haggle, the finance guy came back within minutes and said, "How soon can you bring in the KLR?"

A new bike still has the unlimited mileage warranty for two years, regardless of how long it's been on the floor.

I'd buy my bike all over again and pay a lot more for it and still smile every time I ride it.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #410
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,119
Riding East Texas finest. God these bikes are fun.

Having a ball with Joe Pool and Habitual Violator. You meet the nicest people on a bastard child Harley.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #411
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

This road was great. The others were even better. The riding in Deep East Texas is a hidden jewel. PM me if anybody wants routing help thru there. I gots something for ya .

Old 09-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #412
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyprimate View Post

"No, make ANY offer, no one has even looked at it in two years"

I'd just piss you off.
Yep.
It's business. They're not selling their riding buddy that they have memories with. It's business.
Make an offer, one based in our reality, and be ready for them to say yes.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #413
hammerwoman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hmmm, fairly reasonable Harley thread! What are the chances?

Walking through the showroom of the local Japanese megaplex in late July, what did I spy but a 2011 XR1200X, flat black, windshield and racks, 1300 miles, that its disappointed owner had traded in on a Connie 'cause he couldn't fit locking saddlebags. Been there since May, whaddya know. A few days later, I took her out for a decent test ride, and seeing it was the 31st, they made me a very nice deal, and I've ridden the bike to work every day since (except for yesterday, 39F and raining, call me a wimp).

Thoughts after 3000 miles (4300 total on the bike):

The stock tires are half-decent but no more than that. With less than 5000 miles, I expect tires to still be great in the rain, and these aren't. Since the funny tire sizes are identical to the Honda ST1300,top heavy-duty sport-touring tires are available, and I think the Pilot Roads are next up.

The bike is hard on its oil. I switched to Amsoil 20W50 early on, and consumption is tailing off as the bike breaks in. Boy, does she run hot, working hard all leaned out like that (my XL1200S is much faster, and gets 50mpg as opposed to the XR's 42mpg). Some sort of fueling adjustment is definitely in order, but keeping the bike pretty quiet is a must- I leave my house at 0530 and pull up to the operating room staff entrance of the medical center at 0630, and nobody at either end of that trip appreciates loud pipes!!

Brakes and suspension- couldn't ask anything more from a stock setup. That Showa Big Piston fork is excellent and likes plenty of throttle. The rear shocks are just barely able to keep up with it, and need to be adjusted properly or will wallow badly.

I like the wide handlebars- they were the stock bars for the XR1000, very flattrack style. Ride it like a motard.

Seat- hate it. Waiting for my Corbin to be remade the way I actually ordered it, which will take a couple of months. I've been dealing with Corbin since working the parts counter at a BMW dealership in the 80's, and their "customer service" is just as hilarious now as it was then.

Love this bike. A bit vibey-er than necessary on the morning blast up the interstate, which I'm putting down to the stock fueling, but nothing like my '01 XL1200S. Hitting the backroad twisties on the way home, the bike is responsive without being nervous- good, because after a 10-hour OR shift, I just don't need something that's trying to bite me.
'05 KTM 200 EXC two strokes rock
'79 Yamaha SR500 vintage racer taking shape
hammerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #414
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
This road was great. The others were even better. The riding in Deep East Texas is a hidden jewel. PM me if anybody wants routing help thru there. I gots something for ya .

Someplace around Paris ?

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #415
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
Someplace around Paris ?
I believe that is outside San Augustine somewhere.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #416
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
Someplace around Paris ?
Further south. We started twisty riding in Fairfield went as far south as Newton then came back up to Jacksonville. We were heading to Edom for pie but never made it.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #417
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Yup. San Augustine has two great roads 330 and 353 iirc, and several really good ones. Jacksonville is loaded. Newton and Weirgate have 1414 and 1012. Lots of fun on XR's. Got plenty more. The whole area is outstanding.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #418
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Yup. San Augustine has two great roads 330 and 353 iirc, and several really good ones. Jacksonville is loaded. Newton and Weirgate have 1414 and 1012. Lots of fun on XR's. Got plenty more.

My grandparents live on 353, I have that road memorized
Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #419
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

I think 353 and 1012 were my favorites this time. And of course south of Yellowknife and coming into Joaquin from the south..... Superb.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #420
jjgres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWYtN...e_gdata_player

I did a video on the XR1200x. Loved the thing. Video is not that great. Shot with a phone.

I wouldn't mind owning one.
jjgres is offline   Reply With Quote