Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #31
GS Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Excellent...I didn't realize that Pilot Road 2's would be available in the front size for the XR. I have heard rave reviews of them on other bikes.

Two other experienced XR riders have now told me about the Roadsmarts, as well, one being Rhino (above) and tonight, a friend from TX who has had good things to say about them. I have not ever been happy with any Dunlop tire I have had before on other bikes, but have never run roadsmarts...and the qualifiers on the XR felt nice...but clearly, they don't last.

Thanks for the input!

Bones

"Context is everything."
GS Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #32
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 690
Thumb XR1200 Roadsmart tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Bones
Excellent...I didn't realize that Pilot Road 2's would be available in the front size for the XR. I have heard rave reviews of them on other bikes.

Two other experienced XR riders have now told me about the Roadsmarts, as well, one being Rhino (above) and tonight, a friend from TX who has had good things to say about them. I have not ever been happy with any Dunlop tire I have had before on other bikes, but have never run roadsmarts...and the qualifiers on the XR felt nice...but clearly, they don't last.

Thanks for the input!

Bones
Just installed Roadsmarts. Feels better than the Qualifiers to me. Move the forks up in the triple trees just till they are close to wire under the handle bar. Turns it into a different bike IMO. It just dives into the corners. It also seemed to improve the ride even with the stock shocks. The Roadsmart also seemed to improve the ride on the front. Maybe a less stiff side wall. Mine is not the sport model. It's an enduro. This bikes a real hoot once you get it sorted. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Riding it from Tucson to PA. next week. ceeeyaaaa Racer07
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #33
LazyLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Go pick it up. It is ready and waiting for you.

If I could post pics from the road I would have one up for you. All the add ons are installed and the prep wash is done.

I would have taken pics of the two trade ins, but didn't bother. The Uly is on the sales floor and the Nightster is out back. 2 nicely broken in bikes for the right person (people?).

Have fun on the new one. Little Bones won't be as comfortable on this one, but you have a better choice for that.

LazyLion screwed with this post 08-29-2009 at 11:34 AM
LazyLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #34

Oddometer: 5,891
PICTURES!

Best of luck with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #35
GS Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyLion
Go pick it up. It is ready and waiting for you.

If I could post pics from the road I would have one up for you. All the add ons are installed and the prep wash is done.

I would have taken pics of the two trade ins, but didn't bother. The Uly is on the sales floor and the Nightster is out back. 2 nicely broken in bikes for the right person (people?).

Have fun on the new one. Little Bones won't be as comfortable on this one, but you have a better choice for that.

Holy Cow! Lazy Lion was right. I was still asleep, dreaming about whether my new XR1200 would be ready for me to pick up, and Lazy Lion was at the dealer, already in the know!

Got it home today. It is SWEET! The Remus full 2:1 system with cat eliminator is a full 25 lbs. lighter than the stock exhaust, which is not an exaggeration, because the tech weighed them before installing the Remus. The race tuner was used and the fuel mapping is spot on. Fantastic. I also added the upgraded fully adjustable suspension, and a few little doo dads to allow me to tour with the beast. Only had a short ride on it today, as I had to get other things done. But I will post a full ride report when I get some miles on it.

BTW, the Remus (with db reducer removed) is just right. Loud enough to offer the sublime audible of the Vtwin, but not nearly as loud as many aftermarket exhausts....this is what I wanted, as all the noise when touring or doing long day rides can be tiring. THIS sounds sweet. Even Mrs. Bones said "THAT sounds nice!"

Hope to get out for a long ride in the A.M. !

Bones

"Context is everything."
Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #36
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Oh man I'm so jealous! You got just what I want for my XR... The X suspension (can you get black springs?) and the Remus.

Looks awesome. Enjoy it!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #37
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,525
Looks good, Bones!! I like the grips you had put on. Let me know how comfortable they are.

Now get out and put some miles on that baby!
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #38
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
13 litres of fuel for a 1200cc engine. No thanks.
High_Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #39
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
Wow! This must be a new record. Thirty-seven reasonable and constructive posts in a Harley thread before some shows up to piss on a guy's new ride.

Congrats Bones, that's a sweet bike.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #40
GS Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Side
13 litres of fuel for a 1200cc engine. No thanks.

Understood. Sure, it would be nice to have a 200 mile tank range. But all bikes have compromises. So far, the grin factor balances things out pretty well. When I tour with friends, I will carry a siphon and/or maybe a couple of MSR fuel bottles. But hey, it is what it is. The ride itself is pretty sublime.

And....I still have my GS with 220 miles+ tank range for real long range touring.

Bones

"Context is everything."
Old 08-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #41
GS Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM
Looks good, Bones!! I like the grips you had put on. Let me know how comfortable they are.

Now get out and put some miles on that baby!

I will let you know. I ordered the grips because I thought they were exactly what I had on my Nightster, which were perfect. I am not sure if these are the same diameter or a bit larger. I tend to like pretty narrow diameter hand grips. But a long ride tomorrow will answer the question, and I will let you know. BTW, those handgrips were pretty cheap, and while I am quite sure nobody else will notice, I like how they look, better than the stockers.

Bones

"Context is everything."
Old 08-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #42
GS Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper
Oh man I'm so jealous! You got just what I want for my XR... The X suspension (can you get black springs?) and the Remus.

Looks awesome. Enjoy it!
The upgraded, fully adjustable suspension come with orange springs, which I actually like. Since the bike has no chrome or other color contrasts, I also like the orange spark plug wires for a little bit of visual relief. But as with all things esthetic, it is a personal thing. Other aftermarket suspensions offer other colors for springs, including black. If these had offered me a choice between black or orange, I have no idea what I would have chosen, but now that I see them in person, I really like the orange. And they work well. I will do my usual drill with aftermarket suspsension and spend a half day with pen and note pad on a route that I use for suspension set ups to really, really dial it in. But so far, they are already a noticable improvement, set at mid settings front and rear. NOTE: I only weigh 140 lbs without gear. So the stockers were sprung a bit stiff....OEM suspensions for American riders are generally sprung for folks that weight 185 lbs.

Bones

"Context is everything."
Old 08-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #43
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 690
Thumb

Pretty bike. Is the oil temp gauge a 2010 option? I could not use the stock bags with the piggyback shock (YSS) as the cannister was in the way. Enjoy the ride. Racer07
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:50 AM   #44
OBJMS33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Yep, hd site warns their sidebags will not work with the shock upgrade.
OBJMS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:33 AM   #45

Oddometer: 5,891
Great looking bike. First black one I have seen. Careful on that new rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote