Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #436
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,210
Dang, goodcat. That dealer was just a bit optimistic. lol You can buy an 11 for way less than that all day long. Heck, I might have made that choice considering resale and his $4k of "optimism".

I paid $6900 for mine in perfect shape with nice upgrades and 2400 miles in January.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #437
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Dang, goodcat. That dealer was just a bit optimistic. lol You can buy an 11 for way less than that all day long. Heck, I might have made that choice considering resale and his $4k of "optimism".

I paid $6900 for mine in perfect shape with nice upgrades and 2400 miles in January.
If I'd stumbled across one for $6900 I might have different wheels in the garage.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #438
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

As I may have mentioned before, this bastard step-child Harley is about the most smiles per dollar I have found IMO the used X is the best deal around.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #439
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
I was between the XR and a new Bonnie as well. Test road both a few times. All your questions are subjective.
.............but I will say the 09 XR I rode was 10,999 with 7000 miles and a brand new Bonnie was 8000. Though I know you can find better XR deals through private sales, I needed a dealer for financing aid.
I
Left over '09 still sitting on dealer floor was $7400 and that included the two year unlimited mileage warranty.

Harley financing with shitty credit, no questions asked except "Will the wife co-sign?"

I wanted a Triumph in a bad way. I bought the Harley because is was a shit load cheaper. (and there's 100 miles to the ONE local Triumph dealer and there's about 11 Harley dealerships within the same radius)
Old 10-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #440
TRRcheck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyprimate View Post
Left over '09 still sitting on dealer floor was $7400 and that included the two year unlimited mileage warranty.

Harley financing with shitty credit, no questions asked except "Will the wife co-sign?"

I wanted a Triumph in a bad way. I bought the Harley because is was a shit load cheaper. (and there's 100 miles to the ONE local Triumph dealer and there's about 11 Harley dealerships within the same radius)
Same here, it was between the XR and the Scrambler...

Bought my '09 XR in March 2010 new for $9400 OTD - they threw in the saddlebags + mounts too
TRRcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #441
pearsonm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Do any of you guys ride track days on your XR's? I'm done with race replicas and recently sold my trackbike and trailer. It's coming down to the Speed Triple for me, but I've liked the XR since it first came out and used ones are getting within my range. I'd gain easier maintenance with an XR but also 100 more pounds.
Bikeology: Z1000 (sold); F4i #2 (sold); SV650 (sold); CB750F (sold); DR-Z400SM (traded); SV650S (sold); F4i #1 (RIP); R6 (traded); YZF600R (sold); ZR-7S (sold); Bandit 1200 (RIP)
pearsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #442
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

I will pretty soon. Gonna get a Race-tech re-do of the front and some leathers that fit my still fat ass ( as opposed to the ones in my closet that used to fit my even fatter ass) and then it is to the track on a customer day.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #443
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Barry. When set up originally my bike made about 87 (87.6 and 76.8) with just a D&D and a Screaming Eagle Pro tuner. Some of the folks on the XR board with much greater access to a dyno and bigger wallets are tuning up to 95. I am sure the race bikes are doing better than me.

The Termi pipes look great but in exhaust shoot outs they are making good tq but not great HP.

I am gonna take mine in soon as I just added a K&N and I am not sure I moved forward. Or even in the right direction. May be time to do an airbox mod. Or fix my exhaust. Or both. lol
At midseason we dynod 6 of them and they were all within one or two HP of 85. Think they took the top six in points.
B
Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #444
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

I will have to get the racers who post on the XR board to comment on the numbers but....

I would have no idea. But really got to be same operator , same time, same dyno or we're just having Internet fun .

slowoldguy screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 07:57 PM
Old 10-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #445
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsonm View Post
Do any of you guys ride track days on your XR's? I'm done with race replicas and recently sold my trackbike and trailer. It's coming down to the Speed Triple for me, but I've liked the XR since it first came out and used ones are getting within my range. I'd gain easier maintenance with an XR but also 100 more pounds.
I don't think there's much the S3 can't dominate the XR on the track, but there's something awesome about ripping a twin into an apex....
Old 10-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #446
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsonm View Post
Well, I haven't done a track day with mine, but I must admit the bike is wicked fun in the twisties...The bike is a paradox - technically slower than any other bike I've recently owned, yet it's the only one that has been able to consistently shred the sides off of rear tires, before the centers. CLICKY

Alas I don't think it liked to be ridden hard - 24 mos., 24k, and 10 weeks in the shop on warranty repairs. I had to unload after the warranty expired...felt like a ticking time bomb. If it were built better, I would have kept it.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #447
pearsonm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Alas I don't think it liked to be ridden hard - 24 mos., 24k, and 10 weeks in the shop on warranty repairs. I had to unload after the warranty expired...felt like a ticking time bomb. If it were built better, I would have kept it.
I appreciate the honest info. Of the 3 bikes I'm looking hard at (the Z1000, Speed Triple and XR) the Z1000 makes the most sense - until I look at one. God they're ugly. The XR is the best looking and sounding but I don't see how a Harley or even a Triumph can match a Japanese bike in terms of cost of ownership.
Bikeology: Z1000 (sold); F4i #2 (sold); SV650 (sold); CB750F (sold); DR-Z400SM (traded); SV650S (sold); F4i #1 (RIP); R6 (traded); YZF600R (sold); ZR-7S (sold); Bandit 1200 (RIP)
pearsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #448
TRRcheck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Well, I haven't done a track day with mine, but I must admit the bike is wicked fun in the twisties...The bike is a paradox - technically slower than any other bike I've recently owned, yet it's the only one that has been able to consistently shred the sides off of rear tires, before the centers. CLICKY

Odd on the tire issue. Not sure how you're riding the bike, but I don't have any problems getting 8-10,000 miles out of a rear tire and I ride 50% twisties / 50% highway.
TRRcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #449
mr7q
Stupid and Contagious

Oddometer: 312
Quote:

What was going wrong with the bike?

Recently picked up an XR myself in the stable and an curious what I should be on the lookout for.
mr7q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #450
Trail Runner

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr7q View Post
What was going wrong with the bike?

Recently picked up an XR myself in the stable and an curious what I should be on the lookout for.
Go to "The xr owners group" to answer any questions.
10K is offline   Reply With Quote