Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2009, 03:55 AM   #46
LazyLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I'll bet he "carefulled" the newness off the rubber on the way home. Unless he did the trailer route. Or did the Bone Collection go to the dealership and follow you home in the family truckster playing catch up?
Old 08-30-2009, 05:19 AM   #47
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Bones
Excellent...I didn't realize that Pilot Road 2's would be available in the front size for the XR. I have heard rave reviews of them on other bikes.
Best sport-touring tyre on the market, so the reviews say. If you ride in the wet a lot, I'd heartily reccomend Avon Storms .
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:26 AM   #48
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM
What do you want to know?

There are a few ADV riders with the XR1200. I'm not into the habit of posting reviews on bikes, mostly because I don't think people really care about Harleys here, regardless of model. And, well, they don't want a review from some GIRL rider anyway.
My g/f rides a 33bhp Ninha 250. And she likes to chase R1s in the twisties
IBA #40578

Old 08-30-2009, 05:39 AM   #49
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,467
Quote:
But so far, they are already a noticable improvement, set at mid settings front and rear. NOTE: I only weigh 140 lbs without gear. So the stockers were sprung a bit stiff....OEM suspensions for American riders are generally sprung for folks that weight 185 lbs.
How much experience do you have with the stockers (which suck)? Assume only your test ride? And also assume "mid settings" is compression and damping... You should have had pre-load at the lowest. Lastly, how do you find the upgraded suspension compared to the GS (1200?). I had an 1150 and there is no comparison, I find the XR kind of scary on bumpy roads with stock suspension that my GS would have laughed at. Interested in you opinion as I'm only 10lbs more than you and we're coming from similar bikes.... unlike FatBilly.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #50
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,821
Bones, that is a sharp looking bike. I really do like the dull finish on the primary and the engine. Sharp, sharp sharp!!

Nice to see an HD owner throwing money to suspension and not chrome, too!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #51
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv
Wow! This must be a new record. Thirty-seven reasonable and constructive posts in a Harley thread before some shows up to piss on a guy's new ride.

Congrats Bones, that's a sweet bike.
Hey jackass, the original poster asked for opinions on the XR1200 and I gave one. So lets make that 38 reasonable posts before some hypersensitive Harley spoiled the thread. Are people not supposed to provide anything but positive opinions when a Harley is mentioned? Pull your head out of your ass or hang out on an Harley-only forum.

With a model by any other manufacturer I wouldn't have had to place in a disclaimer that "I actually like Harleys" but am put off by the limited fuel range of this model to avoid awakening the hypersensitivities in one of the members.

Get over yerself.

And Bones: Nice looking bike. The fuel range kills the deal for me but I bet that it's a lot of fun.
High_Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #52
panzer
team schweinhund

Oddometer: 140
Laugh The backroads blaster I've always wanted

I now have 2100mi. on my XR1200 and love every minute of riding it! The only mod I have done is to replace the shocks with a set of blacktrackers from works performance which really did the trick. I was thinking of a new exhaust system but I really crank on this bike on my favorite early morning country rides so it's time to keep a bike that stays quiet. The riding position is great after a VF1000R and most of the time I never even hit 80 before hitting the next corner, It's the getting to 80 where all the fun is! I've had alot of bikes in my lifetime and there sure is something to be said for simplicity, this one is a keeper!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #53
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,635
Quote:
Can't seem to find any thoughts or reviews from ADVrider members on the XR1200, though there are plenty of HD owners among the ADVrider members. I did do a search, using multiple search key words, but came up dry on XR1200's. Anyone willing to share their thoughts on ownership of one of these?

Thanks, in advance.

Bones
Just figured I'd voice my opinion. After seeing one up close, but no ride (I was just at Farrow's for Buell turn signals to put on the Zeph) here are my observations.

I really like the general thought and execution. I think both the EPA and good air flow cause some of the issues I don't care for. I think it would be nicer if that air box deal wasn't under the tank, but I'd still take it that way. I know there are flow issues to get horsepower and less intake noise.

The pipes are OK, but the high pipes I think Bub is making are way cooler. Again, I know there are EPA issues on noise and then there's that darn flow issue to get horsepower rearing up again.

The final so-so is the tail. It looks good, but a lighter tail like a real XR750 or the old XL1000CR would look way lighter and cooler.

Still, it is one Harley I really like. It has a good look for the intended influences. The turn signals on the back look great. The fact that it actually has some of the Buell horsepower is great. Then there's the fact that there is real rear wheel travel and the suspension apparently works well. It would be interesting to see an Iron set up with that suspension, horsepower, and seating for the guys that might actually like to do some road burning on a Harley. There was a guy back around the early 80s who built an old iron barrel that would smoke many of the sportbikes when the roads kept speeds under a hundred. I can't think of his name right now, but for some reason I tie him to the Harley aftermarket Thunder Heads.

This has long been lacking in what the Harley crowd and us dirt track look crowd consider a "sporting" bike. That does not mean road racer, it means a bike that can take some curves at a good rate. As for any of you sportbikers who question that "sport" tag, consider trying to compete on your sportbike in the same fashion the old AMA spec 883 competition did - you race an 883 on pavment, sure your sportbike will smoke it, but then they also put stock frame 883s on the dirt track and surprisingly they actually handled well and ran within a second or two of the top class, try that on your CBR!

So - sport it is. I like it. They did good. I've seen some of the aftermarket pipes and tail for it and it looks even better.

Would I buy one? If I had a lot of money, maybe... but I'd build a street tracker first. Still, a good buy for a Harley guy who wants to have a good back road ride.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #54
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Side
Hey jackass,......

....Pull your head out of your ass or hang out on an Harley-only forum.

Get over yerself.
We're not going to tolerate insults in RW anymore.

You've been around long enough to know that JM is the place for that.

You may not have seen my latest comments in that regard, but ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Sorry, but you've earned a days vacation.

For those that don't know, any banning results in a loss of all your thread subscriptions. That sux. So even one day can be a pain in the ass.

Next member that I find insulting people gets three days.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #55
HornHonker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I took an XR out for a 20min test ride during demodaze earlier this week.

The bike was impressive with it's low vibrations and rubber mounted engine but a couple of things sorta put me off. The bike is very heavy for what it is. (I think needlessly so.) It needs to loose a 150 lbs in the worst way. The seat feels like sitting on a brick (really bad) and for the Cdn price it costs
the same as a Ducati Monster 1100.

I wish I could say more good things abt it because they are moving in the right direction but missed the mark so far.....

HornHonker screwed with this post 08-30-2009 at 10:23 AM
HornHonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #56
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 689
Laugh Xr1200 I Like It

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornHonker
I took an XR out for a 20min test ride during demodaze earlier this week.

The bike was impressive with it's low vibrations and rubber mounted engine but a couple of things sorta put me off. The bike is very heavy for what it is. (I think needlessly so.) It needs to loose a 150 lbs in the worst way. The seat feels like sitting on a brick (really bad) and for the Cdn price it costs
the same as a Ducati Monster 1100.

I wish I could say more good things abt it because they are moving in the right direction but missed the mark so far.....
I don't know how you can learn anything about a bike in 20 minutes. I almost hated mine the first 200 miles and thought I'd made a big mistake. I moved the forks up a 1/2" in the triple tree. Installed a inline fuel device to richen the mixture from 14.6 to 14.0 in closed loop. I average 46-48 mpg between constant 70-80mph. It doesn't vibrate as bad as my DR650. It has killer brakes. The fuel tanks a little small but with this mileage(low fuel light around 140miles) I'm ready for a break anyway. I don't understand why people want to categorize motorcycles. It's not a sport bike. Not even close. No comparing a pushrod motor with 2 valve per cylinder with a overheadcam 4 valve per cylinder motor. Two different animals. I've done 500 mile days with the srock seat and will be leaving tomorrow for a 5,000 +mile round trip. We'll see if this bike's a true Road Warrior. At 4500 miles I like it a lot and it's my first Harley after 50 years riding something with 2 wheels. Maybe it's just a old guys bike. Loaded down for cross country the stock shock works ok. I have full adjustable YSS shocks when I'm riding local. I've made at least 15 passes down the drag strip(12.80s@108) and quite a few miles on dirt. Sorry for rambling on but whats not to like? Different strokes for different folks I guess. Do not want to debate with anyone. Just my sorry ass opinion and we know what thats worth, Peace Racer07
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #57
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Are you guys getting the XR1200X?
IBA #40578

Old 08-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #58
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Are you guys getting the XR1200X?
No announcements have been made to my knowledge, but I suspect we will

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #59
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Congrats Bones. Sweet bike ya got there.
If I was a wealthy man, I'd have one in my garage.
As it stands, I'd have to sell all of my other bikes to get one. lol Can't do that...
Old 08-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #60
OBJMS33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Hey Racer 07 please report back to us on how the bike does. Would really, really like to know how it handles those miles.
OBJMS33 is offline   Reply With Quote