Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #61
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 690
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBJMS33
Hey Racer 07 please report back to us on how the bike does. Would really, really like to know how it handles those miles.
I thought I'd do something like that. Sort of a performance report in RW. Not really a ride report. Loaded up and ready to roll 1st thing in the morning. Shooting for 500miles tomorrow. Racer07
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #62
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer 07
I don't know how you can learn anything about a bike in 20 minutes. I almost hated mine the first 200 miles and thought I'd made a big mistake. I moved the forks up a 1/2" in the triple tree. Installed a inline fuel device to richen the mixture from 14.6 to 14.0 in closed loop. I average 46-48 mpg between constant 70-80mph. It doesn't vibrate as bad as my DR650. It has killer brakes. The fuel tanks a little small but with this mileage(low fuel light around 140miles) I'm ready for a break anyway. I don't understand why people want to categorize motorcycles. It's not a sport bike. Not even close. No comparing a pushrod motor with 2 valve per cylinder with a overheadcam 4 valve per cylinder motor. Two different animals. I've done 500 mile days with the srock seat and will be leaving tomorrow for a 5,000 +mile round trip. We'll see if this bike's a true Road Warrior. At 4500 miles I like it a lot and it's my first Harley after 50 years riding something with 2 wheels. Maybe it's just a old guys bike. Loaded down for cross country the stock shock works ok. I have full adjustable YSS shocks when I'm riding local. I've made at least 15 passes down the drag strip(12.80s@108) and quite a few miles on dirt. Sorry for rambling on but whats not to like? Different strokes for different folks I guess. Do not want to debate with anyone. Just my sorry ass opinion and we know what thats worth, Peace Racer07
Beautiful! Let us know how the ride goes and be safe. g-
Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #63
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 690
Thumb Cross country xr1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_e_young
Beautiful! Let us know how the ride goes and be safe. g-
520 miles today. almost constant 4500 to 5000 rpm. Interstate 10 and hiway 54 north. 80to90mph almost all day. No problems. 46mpg Racer07
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 PM   #64
GS Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
I am getting 45 mpg when running at 55 mph and 42 mpg when riding at spirited rpms, and mine only has 300 miles on the odometer so far....just got it yesterday!

Ride safe and enjoy.

Bones

"Context is everything."
GS Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #65
LazyLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I understand that we can look forward to another installment of the Bones Family Road Reports next week. Rumor has it that the Bones, GS and Little are hitting the road on the XR with Mrs. tagging along on 4 wheels. Based on past road reports we can count on a fair share of scenic photos with a bike in them. Oh, and shots with people eating meat. Past reports have all been "boys day out" events and home eating rules were suspended. I'm not sure how that will work out with Mrs. Bones at the table, but that will just add to the story.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #66
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 722
Sweet ride Bones, enjoy it. looking forward to yours and little bones next adventure
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #67
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Bones
Apples and Oranges.

BUT...don't get me wrong. My opinion about the Tuono is overwhelmingly favorable, for certain things. It gives me wood, actually. The true thunder that comes from that malevolent beast with an aftermarket pipe is otherwordly. While the Tuono is a TOTALLY different beast than a Nightster, it would fit a very small niche and in some ways, similar niche for ME. And if I owned one, I doubt I would be riding it for very long, because I am quite sure my license would be taken away in a short amount of time. I don't think I could spend more than a minute on it without riding in ways I should not. As you know, it is essentially the Aprilia racing bike, made naked and more upright for hooliganism. Not the niche I was searching for. I was looking for, essentially, a Scrambler type of bike that would stay on the street and with more power. But I get your point.
I agree with you Bones. The Tuono and XR1200 are far from being in the same catagory or even in danger of stealing sales from one another. I highly doubt someone would cross shop the two.

The XR1200 is the best Harley ever. The Tuono is a flat out naked supersport, 420lbs wet, and 150 crank hp is mere dollars away. The 2011 Tuono V4 will be crazy sick. I'm glad Harley wised up and brought it to the US. Having it Europe-only was a diservice to their loyal base.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #68
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,263
I wanna see more owners pictures! Especially the ones with aftermarket exhausts.

I seen 2 used ones at a HD dealer last Saturday. Two people traded them in for different models. Dunno why. $9995.00 was the price. Orange one and a SILVER one. Never knew they had a silver one. I like the black best though. I'd get one if I got into the HD lifestyle and had the cash. But alas, not applicable...
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #69
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,619
I realize it's not a bagger, but how do you think the bike would be for occasional passenger comfort?
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #70
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
I'd get one if I got into the HD lifestyle and had the cash. But alas, not applicable...
Don't worry about "the lifestyle" , I didn't get the memo so nothing changed when I bought my Street Bob in April. No one from the motor company came to my house and made over my closet with pirate costumes.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #71
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
I realize it's not a bagger, but how do you think the bike would be for occasional passenger comfort?
Occasional - no problems. Passenger ergos are okay, but of course the seat is a little small, so provided you're not doing long distances, or offer breaks -hmmm, 3-1/2 gal tank - it should be fine.

The accessory passenger back rest might also help.
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #72
SloSolo2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX
Occasional - no problems. Passenger ergos are okay, but of course the seat is a little small, so provided you're not doing long distances, or offer breaks -hmmm, 3-1/2 gal tank - it should be fine.

The accessory passenger back rest might also help.
Would it be possible to get a passenger and a weekends worth of luggage 200 - 300 miles down the road in one day?

I realize the XR isn't a touring bike but I really like the look (first Harley I've ever wanted) however the next bike has to be able to get to the beach for the weekend. I'm sure that by the time I can afford the next bike the XR will be a museum piece but thought I'd ask anyway.

Jamie
SloSolo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #73
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,619
The rear "pad" does look a little bleak for the passenger. Seems like an Airhawk pad might be a good idea....

Another concern I have is with the seat to peg distance. It's hard to tell in some of the photos I've seen of the bike, because I don't know the riders height, but some of them look really cramped in this department. That may kill this bike for me. My right knee can't take a severe bend for very long anymore, or I won't walk right for a while.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #74
LazyLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Walking is over rated anyway.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #75
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer: 518
In 2005 I owned a 1200R. My 3 beefs very small gas range, my exhaust was loud(Straights) and the stock suspension was just pathetic. It was my 4th Sportster. I sold it becaused I owned a GSPD. The Sporty was a throw down bike when the GS' driveshaft went out of phase. That said if I ever have another change to have a 3rd bike ( I have a Strom and the GS)it would be a XR 1200 with a Remus exhaust and better suspension. It's just beautiful.

Les