Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #76
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyLion
Walking is over rated anyway.
I really tend to agree. Not being able to straighten it after is usually the problem and most painful.... Still, for some of these bikes it's worth the pain.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #77
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloSolo2
Would it be possible to get a passenger and a weekends worth of luggage 200 - 300 miles down the road in one day?

I realize the XR isn't a touring bike but I really like the look (first Harley I've ever wanted) however the next bike has to be able to get to the beach for the weekend. I'm sure that by the time I can afford the next bike the XR will be a museum piece but thought I'd ask anyway.

Jamie
320 mile trip one way (no passenger) - racked up 800 miles total - road trip to Laguna Seca.

No doubt if you can fit what you need in the saddle bags, should be good to go.

PS - I'd recommend upgraded suspension before trying this though
IBA #30079

rhinoWERX screwed with this post 10-22-2009 at 07:18 PM
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #78
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
The rear "pad" does look a little bleak for the passenger. Seems like an Airhawk pad might be a good idea....

Another concern I have is with the seat to peg distance. It's hard to tell in some of the photos I've seen of the bike, because I don't know the riders height, but some of them look really cramped in this department. That may kill this bike for me. My right knee can't take a severe bend for very long anymore, or I won't walk right for a while.
I have the same problem. I was wondering if pegs from a nightster could be fitted. It would look more like a dirt tracker too.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #79
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Rhino - what's the doodad on the front of the frame, above the front fender?
Crack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #80
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack Monkey
Rhino - what's the doodad on the front of the frame, above the front fender?
Frame slider
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #81
booty0
Booger eater

Oddometer: 174
Stop it! Stop it! STOP IT!!!

Dammit! Why? Why do I keep clicking into these XR1200 threads.

BTW, the PR2s are awesome tires. Recently threw a pair onto the Tiger. Me likes...
Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #82
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 689
Thumb

2400 miles 5 days. Tucson AZ. to Allentown Pa. 50lbs. luggage. Stock shocks. 190lb 62yo rider. About 3000 miles now on return trip. About 8000 miles on bike. 80 to 90mph 4500 to 5000 rpm. all day. No problems. Changed oils and filter only. Real road warrior. Great bike. Racer07 P.S. About 450 to 500 miles per day.
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #83
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,924
i'm not really a harley fan, but the new 1200 is the sexy hotness of what a motorcycle should be. it's ducati sexy.

i had a plan to add to the collection ever other year or so, but this bike might throw my plans (and budget) out the window.

i find myself drifting to the harley website and salivating over that damn bike.

oh well.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #84
bhkami
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I saw and sat on this thing in person, finally. The fit and finish was nice, but the overall design felt kinda toyish and just...plasticy. I don't know. Maybe someone who felt the same way as me but can articulate better could elaborate.

I honestly wanted to go into the dealership, and see a tool that would be the ultimate comfortable good looking standard. I left wanting a buell more.
bhkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #85
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloSolo2
Would it be possible to get a passenger and a weekends worth of luggage 200 - 300 miles down the road in one day?

I realize the XR isn't a touring bike but I really like the look (first Harley I've ever wanted) however the next bike has to be able to get to the beach for the weekend. I'm sure that by the time I can afford the next bike the XR will be a museum piece but thought I'd ask anyway.

Jamie
Passenger AND luggage? Hmm. Only if you pack VERY lightly. Take a look at the Buell Ulysses if you want passenger comfort and bags. It's a very comfy bike.

I had no problems running my bike with bags for the long weekend. Not quite the mileage that racer07 did, but we did 1300 miles over 4 days, including camping.

LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #86
racer 07
Lock & Load

XR1200 saddle bags

The only reason I used the saddle bags was to store things I wanted quick access to. Slime air compressor, tire plug kit,tools and rain gear. I removed my YSS shocks to use the bags as the resevoir hits the bags. For shorter trips I'd keep the good shocks on and store those items in my gear bag. For this trip I needed all the storage I could get. Ran a lot of twistys in Maryland today and it was a blast. Again, a great do all bike. Kinda like a DR650 on steroids. CEEEYAAA Racer07
Old 09-12-2009, 05:25 AM   #87
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Racer 07

How's the oil consumption on your trip? Some of us are burning quite a bit.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #88
GS Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Update:

Just got the XR back from its first service. It has 1,200 miles on the odometer. I took it on an 875 mile trip just before dropping it off, some of it two up with my son with me. It has seen twisties, some highway, most back roads. Some smooth roads, plenty of roads with lousy surface, some gravel roads. Plenty of elevation changes and generally, all around riding.

Mine burned zero oil between delivery and the almost 1,200 miles it had when dropped off for service. I did not baby it during break in, but I never spent any significant times at high or rpms or heavy throttle loads. But I did routinely run the rpms up to about 6K, on the throttle, then rolled back off and down to 3K, heat cycle the engine, and never spent any time at steady throttle and running just one speed during the first 500 miles.

The bike ran beautifully in all ways. Great low end torque, from 3K all the way on up to near redline. Most of the "meat" is at the low end and middle, which is exactly what I was looking for, but unlike many Vtwins, the pulling does not die off much towards the top end. With the torque delivery and the way it vibrates, the bike is just so much fun.

The upgraded sport suspension is too stiff for me....it is oversprung. I only weigh 140 lbs, so we are looking into how to go about respringing it for my weight.

The front forks are so nice and stiff, you can really feel the front end, especially when on the brakes, which is what I was looking for...and very unlike any HD I have been on before. The brakes are great.

Tranny is fantastic. Shifts great, with positive feel, but smooth as silk between gears going up and down. And super easily to find neutral.

The Remus system works and sounds great (with db reducer removed), but did develop a tiny hairline crack at the weld joint on the underside of the header where the weld is to a flange that allows it to be connected to the bike. Dealer is on it and expect a new set from Remus, but not sure when.

With a little ingenuity and thought, you can easily hook up ways to attatch some luggage and a tank bag for touring. The only limitation I see with this bike is tank range. I have gotten to 111 miles and not had the warning light come on, and I am consistently getting 45+ mpg. But with 3 usable gallons, you need to be looking for fuel at 100 miles. I don't mind stopping for a quick gas and go every 100 miles, but it is a concern if you are riding in remote areas....it can be tough to find fueling stations sometimes.

All around, this is going to turn out to be one of the best all arounders, ever. I am very happy with how it rides, how it feels, how it sounds, how it looks, everything. Ton of fun to ride, every time.

Bones

"Context is everything."
GS Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #89
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,472
I got to sit on one. Not sure about it ergonomically. It was definitely cramped for my 34" inseam. Not sure how it would be on a full day of riding. Passenger would have to be small to fit back there, and I'm sort of thinking limited distances only. Doesn't look bad from the side, but when I'm sitting on it, there isn't much room back there. Some kind of extender for a rack would be needed. The soft luggage they had on a black one, tank and tail bag looked decent. Would prefer saddlebags only though, as you can't strap a tent ot anything to the top of the Harley ones I saw.

It does feel heavy, and more like a old UJM in a way. I would really like to get a ride on one. I may look for a HD rental place that has one before committing. Too bad too, since I know of an exceptional price on one at the moment. I just can't bring myself to jump on.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #90
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oil consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper
Racer 07

How's the oil consumption on your trip? Some of us are burning quite a bit.
1 QT per 2500 miles as close as I can figure. I have some experiance with the 20/50 Harley oil (same manufacture,different name on the bottle) in racing engines with low tension oil rings and found it so slick we could not keep it out of the combustion chamber. In fact we would find oil residue in the intake being pushed by the valves during cam overlap. I use a brand name 20/50 racing oil. No need for a debate as this is just my finding after time on the dyno and race track. It was also very good at finding its way out of the engine. (oil leaks). Very good lubrication on the bottem end,cam,cylinder walls & piston skirts though. Just my .02 Racer07 PS. Just outside ST.Louis today. Rode through Ohio,Ky,Illinois, on my way home. ceeeeyaaaa PPS Oil temps around 180 degrees