Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #32
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest t bass
I haven't had the chance to ride them back to back but,

I'd say the Spacey/Elite 250 would beat the Reflex up to 50.

From 50mph on up the Reflex has more punch, and a higher top speed.

My 1986 250 Elite would only go 68mph.
This Reflex can Hit 80 mph(under ideal conditions)
Although it is turning 8000 rpm at 80 mph.

55 to 65 is a more realistic cruising speed for either bike.

Reflex has much better suspension & brakes than Elite/Spacey/Helix models.
That's what finally sold me on the Reflex, The Handling & Brakes.
The Reflex is buttery smooth and the suspension does a great job. The brakes feel a little mushy, but they get the job done very very well. It does have that annoying lag from about 20-45 MPH under hard acceleration. Overall a very good scoot.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #33
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
boy i see a few of em here on CL. i like this bike a lot

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #34
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
The Reflex is buttery smooth and the suspension does a great job. The brakes feel a little mushy, but they get the job done very very well. It does have that annoying lag from about 20-45 MPH under hard acceleration. Overall a very good scoot.
I find the suspension to be mushy and the brakes pretty good.

There's a modification that resolves the lag. Basically, you remove three of the six weights in the variator. I replaced the drive belt at the same time and broke the glaze on the variator drive faces. The thing is a rocket now. Cars will purposely not line up behind me at stop lights. I have to smile as I watch them get smaller in my rear view mirrors...

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #35
dezfreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
The one issue I'm going to address (this winter) is the poor design of the front caliper. Honda designed it so that the hose (from the master cylinder) and the bleeder are both on the top of the caliper. So, when you bleed the caliper, the fluid that's in the lower piston (there are three) gets "trapped". Eventually this fluid absorbs enough water to pit the bore and the piston doesn't retract completely when the pressure is released. This leads to a "swish-swish-swish" sound as the pads ride on the front rotor. I was hoping to score a front caliper off eBay to see if there's a way to resolve that but they're few & far between.
I was wondering what that swishing noise was. I love my Reflex, got it at 14,000 miles, now has 25,000 less than a year later. Only problem is that I can't find a decent front tire that doesn't get cupped out prematurely.
dezfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #36
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfreeze
I was wondering what that swishing noise was. I love my Reflex, got it at 14,000 miles, now has 25,000 less than a year later. Only problem is that I can't find a decent front tire that doesn't get cupped out prematurely.
I have just under 11K on mine and both tires (OE Hoops) still have plenty of tread left. I just got a set of Kenda K761 for my DR350SE and really like them. I was thinking of getting the same for the Reflex when it's time. I don't have any info on if they cup, though.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #37
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
The Kenda on my People 250 is cupped. It's cupped less than it used to be. When I got this scoot last summer, the cupping was extremely bad and it's much better now.

This model is known to have oscillation challenges so I don't know if its a "feature" of the tire or the scoot. I am going to change it here pretty quick. Make me wonder if the cupping is caused by this particular tire.... interesting. This is the standard tire and many stay with it when changing.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #38
Purzell
Wheelie scared

Oddometer: 150
Not to be redundant but....

I've been wanting a big scoot for a while. I've had a few scooters including my current Elite 80, a Riva 180 and an Aero 50.
None of my local dealers (Sacramento area) will let me test ride my scooter of choice, the Burgman. They all say they do not offer test rides unless you are buying something, for sure.
Lately I've been thinking about picking up something less expensive, like a used Reflex, to see how I like having a bigger freeway legal scooter before I take the big expensive plunge.
My question is: I mostly commute around town with the occasional short freeway trip. The Reflex can do that, right? I'm about 5'8" tall and about 160 lbs. so it's the freeway part I'm making sure about.
I've figured if I like the Reflex I can sell it and get something larger.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #39
mboni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purzell
My question is: I mostly commute around town with the occasional short freeway trip. The Reflex can do that, right? I'm about 5'8" tall and about 160 lbs. so it's the freeway part I'm making sure about.
I've figured if I like the Reflex I can sell it and get something larger.
I'm about your size, and my old Reflex would top out at about 70mph(gps). It rode just fine at that speed, and could run all day like that.

The problem was that traffic around here wanted to move 70-80, and I had no reserve speed to get out of the way. If your local freeways don't move quite as fast as mine, then the Reflex is a really good bike, and a used one will be very reliable. For in-town commutes with occasional freeway use, you should be quite pleased. But if you want/need to cruise along with 70mph traffic for any time, I'd suggest a 400cc bike or larger.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #40
techguy
Scooter Trash

I too am in the Sacramento area and I am larger than you , I cruised Highway 80 from Rancho to Downtown yesterday afternoon. My Kymco People 250 got up to an indicated 80 and I was keeping up with the traffic. I was in the LEFT lane as I don't like dealing with all of the on and off ramps between here and there. I came back to Rancho about 4:15, same speeds and same lane positioning.

I have heard that Reflex's can top out a little slower than some other 250cc scoots but you may be able to change rollers and get up there (unless the Honda's have a rev limited CDI).

As to the dealer... how do they expect you to buy one if you can't try one? Only let you test ride if your going to buy? Sounds like it's time to lie a little, say you are ready to buy if the test ride is good and then say you've decided you don't like the xxx and then leave.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #41
no1photo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I have a 04 reflex and 05 Burgman 650, among other "motorcycles", (kawi KLR 650 and a Honda VTX 1300) I ride the Burgman 90% of the time, however I do ride the Reflex and love it too. I have the black sport also, that is one of the best looking scooters on the road IMO, and I get a lot of questions on it at redlights and the occasional gas stop.

Love it, love, love it!
no1photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:48 AM   #42
Purzell
Wheelie scared

Oddometer: 150
altitude

Thanks for your answers about riding the Reflex in traffic. Can anyone comment on the performance at altitude? I just had my 1993 TW200 up at Tahoe and it was running terribly due to the altitude. I imagine the carburated Reflex will suffer similarly, or will it?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:39 AM   #43
sawman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Thanks for your answers about riding the Reflex in traffic. Can anyone comment on the performance at altitude? I just had my 1993 TW200 up at Tahoe and it was running terribly due to the altitude. I imagine the carburated Reflex will suffer similarly, or will it?

I have the Big Ruckus, almost the same engine, etc, as the Reflex, dealing with jetting can get frustrating, but I managed to work my issues out, to get as much performance as I could, and still get decent mileage.

I think the Reflex and Big Ruckus are using the same jetting, not 100% sure, but, the BR is WAY lean from the factory, so at altitude, it should'nt get all that rich. I run a 'dial-a-jet' in my BR, so I can run to the richness I need lower, and lean it out higher.

Oh, and for highway performance, with you being only 160 lbs., that Reflex should be able to cruise at 70 mph, max-out at 80 mph. My BR cruises at 65 - 70 mph, I weigh 185, and I'm running a 10% stiffer contra spring in the driven pulley,.....which by the way, is a Reflex driven pulley.
NCCON'09-Durham
PABigRuckRally'08

NCCON'10-Wilmington
No trailer-queen here

http://www.smithfieldsaw.com
sawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #44
techguy
Scooter Trash

Quote:
I was at Tahoe last month and I rode with a BR from Sacramento, over Carson Pass at 8,250 feet and back down to the lake at 6,200. My Kymco P250, a P250S and the BR (with Polini variator) all topped out at the same speed in almost all situations, with riders of vastly different size. The gal on the P250S was waif like, the other guy was of medium build and I am other polar opposite from the gal. All bikes are carbureted bikes with ~250cc engines. You can see them in my shot in my sig file. I never noticed any "bad" issues with the engines and the way they ran at altitude.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #45
dezfreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Freeway

I'm about 180lbs and carry my laptop and books in my top case and do about 80 freeway miles a day. I just stay in the right lane and cruise out at about 70mph. Much more comfortable than my sportbike.
I've had two front tires so far, the OE Hoops, which cupped VERY badly. Take your hands off the bars and watch it wobble. The rear also cupped. Switched to a set of Avon Stryker's. Rear was great, front still cupped eventually, but tolerable. Also had a Shinko rear, which wore very well, but grip was limited. Trying a Michelin Sport rear next and a Metzeler branded front. We'll see, maybe its all the highway miles?
dezfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote