ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
guns_equal_freedom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,437
Washington State Invites Comment on Naneum / Columbia River Recreation Plan

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEduc...y_nr.aspx.aspx

NEWS RELEASE
September 25, 2014
STATE INVITES COMMENT ON NANEUM/COLUMBIA RECREATION PLAN
Meetings On October 1 & 2 In Ellensburg & Wenatchee

OLYMPIA The Washington state departments of Natural Resources (DNR) and Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) are seeking public comments on a new Naneum Ridge to Columbia River Recreation and Access Plan. The public is invited to learn about and discuss the draft recreation plan at two public meetings.

Date / Time / Location

Wednesday, Oct. 1
6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Kittitas County Fairgrounds
Teanaway Room
512 N Poplar Street
Ellensburg, WA 98926

Thursday, Oct. 2
6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Wenatchee Convention Center
Grand Apple North Room
121 N Wenatchee Avenue
Wenatchee, WA 98801

The recreation planning area for this project encompasses 229,000 acres that extend from the eastern slopes of the Cascade Range to the Columbia River.

This includes Naneum Ridge State Forest, managed by DNR, and the Colockum Wildlife Area and the Quilomene and Whiskey Dick wildlife units, which are managed by WDFW.

The plan, which will guide the project over the next 10 to 15 years, lays out objectives and strategies to guide recreation and public access.

How You Can Participate
The State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) public comment period on the draft recreation plan starts September 26. This process will help DNR and WDFW to determine the environmental consequences of the draft plan and allow for public review.

These public meetings are being held during the SEPA open public comment period. While public comments will not be taken at these meetings, the public can learn more about the SEPA process and how to provide comments on the draft recreation plan.

To find out more about the draft recreation plan, visit the DNR SEPA webpage at: http://1.usa.gov/1wOxgvY.

The public may send comments to: sepacenter@dnr.wa.gov or to DNR, P.O. Box 47015, Olympia, WA 98504-7015. SEPA comments must be received before October 17, 2014.

Media Contact: Jessica Payne, Recreation Communications & Outreach, 360-902-1066, jessica.payne@dnr.wa.gov

I also received 6 files with text and maps of some of the proposed actions already being discussed that I could not fine on the DNR's web site.

I'll email them to you if you ask AND give me your email address.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
tomasv
Check the Czech!

Oddometer: 295
Any significant road closers for motorcycles?
tomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #3
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,662
Not that I'm aware of, but there are other issues. They are trying to turn a fairly rugged area that is already overused into a quadtard playground. Full on campsites, vault toilets, quad trails, etc. Not that the area is virgin by any means, but IMHO it will ruin the area if you like peace and quiet.
It will also be very bad for the elk herd, which has enough problems. Poaching, tribal hunting (same thing to me), wolves, easy access to a zillion hunters from the coast as it is. More roads, more recreation, more people- these will destroy the character of the area and the elk herd.
Riding opportunities won't change significantly, unless you like sharing trails with quads. There is a lot of riding up there now, but be warned: "Rugged" does not come close.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
tomasv
Check the Czech!

Thanks for the summary - I LOVE rugged so the comments should be - keep open, no new roads, no new campsites, no development and no quads on roads. OK time to get typing
Old 09-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Not that I'm aware of, but there are other issues. They are trying to turn a fairly rugged area that is already overused into a quadtard playground. Full on campsites, vault toilets, quad trails, etc. Not that the area is virgin by any means, but IMHO it will ruin the area if you like peace and quiet.
It will also be very bad for the elk herd, which has enough problems. Poaching, tribal hunting (same thing to me), wolves, easy access to a zillion hunters from the coast as it is. More roads, more recreation, more people- these will destroy the character of the area and the elk herd.
Riding opportunities won't change significantly, unless you like sharing trails with quads. There is a lot of riding up there now, but be warned: "Rugged" does not come close.

1911fan

I like that area and will send in my comments. I don't think I would worry that DNR will take the "rugged" out of that area anytime soon. Trying to de-rock that place would be a job for Sisyphus, and he's already busy. Where would they get the significant money it would take to add or improve roads?
Pit toilets would maybe be attractive to families, but the average joe that rides there is not put off by their absence.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM   #6
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasv View Post
Thanks for the summary - I LOVE rugged so the comments should be - keep open, no new roads, no new campsites, no development and no quads on roads.
My thoughts exactly. Who else is going to the meeting in Wenatchee? We need to make a showing; at the last meeting the quad riders were out in force. We need to be heard too!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #7
tomasv
Check the Czech!

Live near Bellevue,WA too far for me :-(
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #8
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 505
I'm going to comment that they keep the roads the way they are... but any two-track that can be used by an OHV motorcycle can also be used by a quad.

Don't know what the problem is with ATVs and ATV riders. I ride both, and as long as the ATVs can't do any damage (and they can't on the rocky roads on this land) then let them ride, too, so they support keeping it open for all OHVs.
Old Today, 06:08 AM   #9
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Problem is, IIRC, that they plan to make a bunch of new trails. There is already a lot of abuse up there, people driving on closed roads, leaving trash, and so on. More access will make it worse, and nowhere in the plan is any enforcement presence.

1911fan