Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #16
Lobo50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
SDM if you take your time you can find good deals. The 75 Kawasaki KT250 that I have that has been all rebuilt was done by the guy I just got the bike from. He wanted to compete in AHRMA so he pretty well went through the whole bike. He had part receits of almost $1500 plus the price he paid for the bike. He lost interest after finishing the bike. He traded me straight across for an old TT 500 enduro that I had less than $500 in. My other 76 KT 250 I bought had 750 miles on it when I bought this summer. It had been in storage most of its life and the guy just wanted to get rid of it. Other than the carb being messed up it is as close to a new bike as possable. I bought it for $800. Just happen to see it just as he posted it on our local internet add site. I was the first to call (he said it had been posted 4 min.) and picked it up. He had a boat load of phone calls on it. He also gave me the info on a TL-125 that was in great shape that a guy might sell. These were just old bikes they wanted gone so thus the low price. Good luck on your search. It is half the fun. As I said earlier and others have mentioned a clean Honda TL 250 is a sweet bike. The extra weight doesn't bother me and the engine makes up for any other short comings. Nothing better than the sound of a 4 stroke powering up a steep hill!
Lobo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #17
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Thumb Bultaco gas tanks and other thoughts

SDM there was a very specific reason why I mentioned a late 70s Sherpa T as they have molded plastic gas tanks not the fiberglass junk on the early 70s bike. U can replace the tank on any of these bikes with a center mount Elsinore tank from Clarke for a pretty reasonable price. The part number is 1336 and they come in about 10 different colors.
Also note that early round case Buls are 4 spds while the later square case square barrel Bul is a 5 spd. Not a big deal in trials but something to ask about. That 72 is likely a 4 spd with a glass tank. The glass tanks used to leak right on the showroom floor in 1972 at our shop so we left them MT ! Not a big deal so long as you plan to put on an aftermarket tank though. Pretty means nothing in trials. Look for the good parts such as good RADIAL tires on the bikes,MIKUNI carbs and NITROGEN-OIL shocks on the bike. Look for a PROFESSIONAL engine rebuild not a shade tree mechanic. I would always suggest that U buy an ACTIVE PARTICIPANTS bike and not try to invent the wheel again. These parts should be a common denominator on any bike that you buy. Also I want you to go to wwwbultacomotorcycles and look at that site before you buy. This will convince U that virtually any Bultaco can be fixed. Many of these sellers do not know that their bike would not be a competitive trialer. They are not trying to mislead U... they just don't know what additional steps are needed to compete. Like I said I have 2 very different trialers and they both work. But U need the right stuff on them all.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #18
Happy Rider
Old but nOOb

Oddometer: 98
The bultacos, were 5 speeds from at least 1969. They had round cases, a low motor mount and 5 speeds. The square cases had the advantage of the clutch actuating arm being above the case not below, don't ask me why i know this.
Happy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #19
Castle
Red Cloud Slept Here

Oddometer: 1,143
I had a Honda TL250. Yup it was heavy, but it was also bulletproof. It actually was a decent enduro bike but the gas tank was too small to be serious. That bike would go anywhere.

I road a factory-prepped Montessa in Spain in 1976; that was a serious trials bike and let me know what a porker my Honda was.....
Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #20
Happy Rider
Old but nOOb

Oddometer: 98
Buls4ever, a quick question, i went to the clarke tank site, and the only elsinore tank they have is for the 125, is that the one that fits? i would prefer not to continue using my fiberglass tank, and didn't realize there were options. the almost 180 degree arc of the steering stops makes most tanks challenging.
Happy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #21
H_Mushmann
Smartass

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr
The problems with conversion are2... You often kick the bike into gear accidentally,when starting the bike and even worse you get stuck with a cable operated instead of the rod actuated type brake.
My '78 Pursang has the reversible shifter/brake pedal. I have it setup for conventional (left shifter/right brake) operation and the kick-start clears the shifter. The rear wheel is also reversible so a rod can be used on either side. However mine came with a cable which I still use. My '73 Alpina has the left brake/right shifter and is not reversible. I ride the bike in vintage trials and have the shifter setup high so it won't get damaged in the rocks or accidentally knocked into neutral. Also, when I brain-fart and stomp on the brake with my right foot and grab air, it helps me remember the controls are backwards. I've also seen a few Buls setup with the brake and shifter on the same, usually the right, side. Now that would get confusing.
H_Mushmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #22
buls4evr
No Marks....

Happyrider that 1336 tank fits a variety of bikes and is very narrow in front so it works on most trials bikes. It is small, only 1.5 gallons, center mounted and fits most trials bikes no matter who makes them. For instance I use 1 on my KT250 Kaw in place of the steel one. They give you good dimensions on the site. I have a very modified turning radius on the KT and it works fine. This is a small tank and very narrow. An Elsinore replica. This tank would not be suitable for a bike used for trail riding as it would limit your range but for trials I highly recommend it. Very tough, translucent so you can see fuel level, good cap and that great Pingel petcock. Any further questions should probably be on e-mail, another link or directed to Clarke as they can tell you everything about their tanks .
SDM sorry .....not trying to hijack your link.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #23
Lobo50
Adventurer

Dark green is my 75 Kawasaki KT-250. The other one is my 76 Kawasaki KT-250. The Honda TL250 is still waiting on parts so no picture.
Lobo

Old 09-24-2009, 06:23 AM   #24
sdm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hi Guys!
Thanks for all the input as it is all very useful. Those little tidbits help me to put things in perspective. I have not ruled out the Kawasakis or Hondas or Yamahas either but mainly don't want a total rebuild right now. Nice KTs Lobo.
Keep the info coming as the search goes on
Sam
sdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #25
Lobo50
Adventurer

I got the TL 250 running today and after riding it and then the KT I would take the Honda any day. I love that 4 stroke engine.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #26
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,554
I have a Honda TL 250 to sell.

I live in Claremont, California 91711.

It is mostly all original. Starts first kick every time (Honda!).

Side covers gone (TL 250!).

Sporadically used over the last 30 or so years.

Just fitted new front fork seals.

Ready to play or compete.
TUCKERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #27
sdm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS
I have a Honda TL 250 to sell.

I live in Claremont, California 91711.

It is mostly all original. Starts first kick every time (Honda!).

Side covers gone (TL 250!).

Sporadically used over the last 30 or so years.

Just fitted new front fork seals.

Ready to play or compete.
Hey James!
If I lived closer to you I would be looking at your Honda. Unfortunately I am up near the Oregon border....96104
Sam
sdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #28
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm
Dave
Modern classics class is the area I am looking at I guess. There seem to be bikes that pop up for sale on cl from time to time so I am keeping my eyes open. I just have to decide how far I want to travel for a good prospect.
Sam
If 1979 is the cut off for Modern classic, I think that was the year the Montesa Cota 349 came out.
I preferred it over the Bultaco Sherpa T (and the kick start was on the right side).
I also had a 123 cota of around the same vintage and while it was much less powerful than the 349, it was lighter and easier to ride.

I started out on a Honda TL and rode several TY's, but the jap bikes were not even close to the same league as the Montesa's and Bultaco's of that era.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #29
El_Oel
Laugh. Out Loud.

Oddometer: 182
TL 250 for sale just w of Chicago. Can't tell if those are the original side covers or not- pix are too small.

Tip O Lake Michigan Tag O Rama!

You WILL be missed.
El_Oel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #30
buls4evr
No Marks....

The quest for the perfect trialer

SDM just got back from the TN NATC nationals. How goes the quest for the perfect vintage trials bike? Had time to price out radial tires, wide footpegs,Domino throttles and Motion-Pro cables for your favorite brand yet? The TY Yamahas did pretty well at the NATC nationals. Rode the KT Kaw and it did very well in TN. Didn't ride the BUl as the KT was a new experiment with the long rod and wanted to see how it would do. Tough, never quit, little motor I found. If a bike does well in TN it is good anywhere in the country. I also recommend a KT250 especially a B&J 255 as well as a Bul and a TY. All bikes capable of winning your class and making life easy on U.