User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
KhaoSanMan OP
Airhead

Oddometer: 590
Oil in the Air... a BMW R1150G/7 Scrambler in the making

While I had begun the documentation of this build in another thread over in Old's Cool, I felt that it would be best to create a dedicated thread for this bike here, so here we go:

It all started when I decided to pay my local BMW part's dealer a visit after work. Chris from Eurotech Motorsports is a local in Chico, and along with Ozzie will be my only resource to see this through to the end. Chris has been more than an inspiration for this project, let's call him the instigator for lack of a better word.

Here is where the work will get done, Chris' workshop just 2 miles away from my house. After hanging here for a few weeks, and drinking our fair share of beer, we got to talking about a project to quell my desire to create, and a simple airhead just wouldn't do for either Chris or I.

It's a tight fit when all the bikes and his bug are in there

Chris has been in the BMW biz for over 20 years, and I am privileged to have this opportunity to learn from him, use his tools, drink his beer, and take over a project he had been dreaming of for some time. You see, Chris had built this monster GS hack back in the day and had an idea to fit an 1150 engine into it at some point. In fact, he had the engine and transmission set to go!

Well, the hack has gone to another inmate, and the project was sitting in the corner until I came along....
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
KhaoSanMan OP
Airhead

Fast forward to a few months ago and Chris and I were sitting around the shop discussing scramblers, bobbers and cafe's. He had just got a bunch of bikes from a friend that needed parting out and selling, and there was this /7 RS frame just sitting there.

He also had this:

As luck would have it a thread started in Old's Cool showing all sorts of interesting scramblers. That basically sealed the deal for me and the wheels started turning.

When we saw this, everything came into place and we knew that if someone else had done this, we could too.

So the plan is to fit the 1150 engine, transmission and swingarm into the /7 frame, make it go fast, and pray that it doesn't fall apart while kicking out the wheel sideways on a fire road. We will use the most basic wiring possible, a few relays, and of course fit carbs... just because we can. 40mm Bings to be exact...

The first step was to collect all of the necessary parts for the build. We were missing forks and the rear end to get the basics down, so i started hunting on CL. I located the 1150 rear end in Sacramento, and went down to pick it up. I ended up at this chop shop in downtown Sac owned by Gabriele the Romanian. His buddy Dimitri was there too and it reminded me of Chris' shop, minus the tracksuits and gnarly pitbull out back.

He had this badass VW powered sandrail there, and I couldn't believe he had never got it running. The sidepod fuel tanks, with liners made out of a flexable material, were in bad shape. I would LOVE to give this thing a test drive.

Gabriele drove a hard bargain, but in the effort of moving this project along, I took the whole rear-end. He had a few more parts, like the headers I need, but I could only spend so much in one day. This may not be the last trip to the Romanians.

I then acquired a 1985 K100RS for cheap just a few miles outside of town. It seemed like a sketchy deal due to the neighborhood, and after dealing with the Romanians all I can say was that it was a really different story.

The bike was a rat's nest, and the local dogs on the dirt road were not very friendly on my way in. Rolling up in my friend's Ford Lightning, surprisingly, didn't help us fit-in. Nevertheless, they were a nice couple and offered an extra wheel from who knows where, and all of the broken fairing pieces. All I really wanted was to make some cash if possible from some parts, and use the forks for now as they have some sturdy triples, offer a dual-disc setup, and use a larger axel. Their length should also work well to make the project bike more level and scrambler-like.

Tonight I finally got back to work on the bike and began mocking it up with the swingarm and wheels on the bike:

Wouldn't you know it that Chris had this rear cowl just laying around the shop waiting to be used. I kinda like it, cause it's the same one my dad has and has already been shortened, cut and welded in places which makes it weird, like the est of the bike
The rear wheel off-set as noted by Rob Farmer in another thread is obvious. I'm thinking of going to new rims, matched front and back, and a new hub to do spokes up front. This should offer much more space to off-set the rear wheel on the hub, and align it to the front. The 1150 ADV rim offers very little space to move with the wide rim and big xlacing. I'm going to miss that fat rim though, it looks cool on the bike.

So really not much progress, but some pictures worth sharing. Tomorrow we'll get back into the build with some aluminum grinders to see if we can get that engine and transmission to fit. Going to try shortening some cooling fins a bit, and loosing some of extra weight on the transmission.

KhaoSanMan screwed with this post 07-28-2011 at 01:28 PM
Old 07-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
KhaoSanMan OP
Airhead

Got good and dirty last night grinding down the transmission and engine. After some rough cuts to the transmission I started to get more accurate with the grinding. I removed the swingarm pivots as we will be using the /7 frame's mounts and beef them up later:

I call this my transmission weight-loss program:

Alignment issues were dealt with, as it's a tight squeeze to get the engine to drop through the bottom of the frame. Good thing we have a mock-up case to use before I start to grind on my real one. But I do like the black!

It is actually starting to shape up, and I'm getting really excited.

Did a bit of a reality check though and began to layout the budget for this build. My father thinks I am nuts for spending this much time and money on a project that will have little to no resale value, but this is something I have always wanted to do, so time/money is no reason to give up now! It looks like it will be over $5000 by the end, but I will see what I can do to save some money along the way.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,148
Outstanding! Old School, SAR, it doesn't matter, this is a fun build to watch!
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
KhaoSanMan OP
Airhead

Thanks Fishkens!

I'm definitely learning a lot with this one, and am nervous as hell that I am grinding myself into a corner with all of the frame and transmission mods. I often wonder why I'm not just using one of the airhead engines sitting around the shop, but WTH, if you are going to do something, do it full bore right?

Also, for those inclined, I've been using this site called Pinterest to compile my inspiration photos:

http://pinterest.com/mmagliozzi/scrambler-project/

It's a pretty interesting tool that makes saving photos for later viewing easy. Should be useful for the other build-ers here on ADV.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
AfricaWim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Interesting concept, I like your way of thinking. Will watch how it goes together with interest.

AfricaWim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Greenbrumby
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Talking Awesome!

I've seen the photos of that frankenbeemer before and I think it looks awesome. Can't wait to see how you solve the 'creative design opportunities' this build will need. It's looking good so far. Subscribed
Greenbrumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,754
what happened with this project?
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
KhaoSanMan OP
Airhead

I switched gears to building an R100 Cafe style build. Just about finishing that up this year. I've also gotten into a baja bug project as well as starting a little side business.

I guess the daunting nature of the engineering required to feel safe on something like this held me back a bit. But I do certainly still have all the parts and would like to do SOMETHING with the 1150 engine, trans and drivetrain. Just not sure what form that will take at this point.

If anyone is interested in taking on this project please let me know and we could arrange something. Otherwise it will still be there as a some-day for me.

Thanks for asking!